Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Base 12...why? (Read 1324 times)
usetawuz

ALK Member

ne fla
Base 12...why?
May 12th, 2010 at 3:13pm

I heard someone mention in passing there is a reason everything through antiquity to now has used base 12 instead of base 10.  Time is kept in twelve hour/twenty four hour incriments, 12 months in the year...why?  And while the metric system is base 10 and is used worldwide, it is certainly not the favored unit of measurement in the USA.  Any ideas?

IP Logged

spooky2

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Re: Base 12...why?
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2010 at 9:37pm

Each of the little numbers has a lot of tradition. Please consider that even when some units are 12-based, they still are embedded within the 10 (0-9)- based number system, even in Anglo-American-tradition countries. The Romans had a (non-)system which must have been a pain for every bookmaker. Some authors I've read claim that the 10-based number system is not accidental, but holds a deeper truth. Mathematically it doesnt matter in which system we encode the quantity of elements of a set. But the cardinal numbers of course have different mathematical properties, such as being a prime number and such. A mathematician might tell you the specifics of the cardinal number 12.

Spooky

"I'm going where the pavement turns to sand"&&Neil Young, "Thrasher"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.