Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Agers; New Age Ghetto (Read 6661 times)
betson

Afterlife Knowledge Member

SE USA
Re: New Agers; New Age Ghetto
Reply #15 - Nov 5th, 2009 at 10:52am

Hi

The dictionary said that a ghetto is an isolated or segregated area of a city. I don't see how on the www. these ideas could be isolated, since the flow of people through here freely comes and goes.

So I looked for metaphors in Elvis Presley's "In the Ghetto." It would be overly dramatic to say that these lyrics create an analogy with what happens here, or with other NA groups.  Therefore I think 'ghetto' does not apply.

Title: Elvis Presley - In The Ghetto lyrics

As the snow flies
On a cold and gray Chicago mornin'
A poor little baby child is born
In the ghetto
And his mama cries
'cause if there's one thing that she don't need
it's another hungry mouth to feed
In the ghetto

People, don't you understand
the child needs a helping hand
or he'll grow to be an angry young man some day
Take a look at you and me,
are we too blind to see,
do we simply turn our heads
and look the other way

Well the world turns
and a hungry little boy with a runny nose
plays in the street as the cold wind blows
In the ghetto

And his hunger burns
so he starts to roam the streets at night
and he learns how to steal
and he learns how to fight
In the ghetto

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

Beau

Greenville SC
Reply #16 - Nov 5th, 2009 at 12:00pm

Rolling Stone once wrote that in writing"In the Ghetto" for Elvis Mac Davis made his only contribution to rock n roll. I just wanted to make sure he got credit for it.

And somehow that definition seems to lack the well, earthy nature of the ghettos I've seen.

All the world's a stage...whose stage?--that is the question!...or is it the answer...Who is on first.
IP Logged

CharleyTuna

ALK Member

Connecticut
Reply #17 - Nov 6th, 2009 at 12:03am

New Age ?
I think it's a massive, collective, psychotic chemical flashback for all the drugs smoked, swallowed, shot, and absorbed rectally by all Americans from 1960 to 1990.

IP Logged

O

ALK Member

Reply #18 - Nov 6th, 2009 at 3:37am

CharleyTuna wrote on Nov 6th, 2009 at 12:03am:
New Age ?
I think it's a massive, collective, psychotic chemical flashback for all the drugs smoked, swallowed, shot, and absorbed rectally by all Americans from 1960 to 1990.

That's just another way of trying to put something down. Neither is it solely an American phenomenon, nor is there a direct connection with drugs anywhere. Nor do I see advocacy for taking drugs in the New Age movement in general.

IP Logged

Mark Andrew

Indiana
Reply #19 - Nov 6th, 2009 at 11:04am

I wish we had more words for these things that currently all fall under the "New Age" umbrella.

Because if I had to describe my spirituality, New Age comes to mind, but that term covers a ton of stuff I don't associate with, so I'm not willing to admit it socially because I don't want to be misunderstood.

We need more words!

IP Logged

Calypso

ALK Member

Chicagoland
Reply #20 - Nov 6th, 2009 at 1:46pm

I agree, Mark Andrew!  And new age is a moving target (umbrella?) anyway, since some of it has quite a few years under its belt by now.  How's that for mixing metaphors! 

I think there is a ghetto part of every faith category - I know some people who wallow around in a Christian ghetto, for instance, who are not serious or careful seekers.  And I don't mean anyone who posts here, so please no one take offense!

IP Logged

Berserk2

Reply #21 - Nov 6th, 2009 at 2:20pm

Be careful, Calypso; I need to be handled with kid gloves!  Sad  You are of course right; I am dismissed as a godless liberal by some of my more conservative Christian brethren and cistern.  All I want them to do is recognize that biblical revelation is very incomplete, even if valid, and that many vital questions about faith, miracles, healing, and the afterlife remain unanswered on biblical grounds.  Failure to recognize this creates a Christian Ghetto because new issues like NDEs fall under suspicion as inspired by the wrong source.

Don

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.