Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
The problem with writers before Monroe and Moen! (Read 25226 times)
I Am Dude

Re: The problem with writers before Monroe and Moen!
Reply #60 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 8:19pm

I don't think it's too hard to believe.  If one keeps in mind that our universe is multidimensional, this leaves open the possibility of life existing on these other planets in other dimensions.

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

IP Logged

recoverer

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #61 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 8:40pm

I guess one would have to see what he said. I wonder if Emanuel realized that places like the moon don't have an atmosphere. How did people from the 1700's view such things?

I looked around and one source stated that Emanuel contended that every planet God created has life. This premise is worth questioning.

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #62 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 12:19am

Yes, the premise is worth questioning. 

It is also worth noting that Swedenborg discovered this during his astral projections.  There have been many modern explorers who also claim to have witnessed life on the other planets in our solar system in other dimensions. 

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

IP Logged

Seraphis1

ALK Member

Reply #63 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 5:14am

recoverer wrote on Nov 9th, 2009 at 8:40pm:
I guess one would have to see what he said. I wonder if Emanuel realized that places like the moon don't have an atmosphere. How did people from the 1700's view such things?

I looked around and one source stated that Emanuel contended that every planet God created has life. This premise is worth questioning.

Probably the life they are talking about on these planets are not necessarily physical but astral in nature... but, individual entities hang around these locales and even build communities there... this is only an opinion of course

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #64 - Nov 22nd, 2009 at 10:00pm

Matthew

Quote:
In a nutshell, nowhere does ES pretend to condemn people to hell.  He asserts that our post mortem fate is determined by our ability to love God and our fellow human beings, and to the degree we achieve either or both, we enter a heavenly realm.  To the degree we turn away from both, we voluntarily enter the hellish planes.  Free will persists though.

Swedenborg clearly states that one's inner nature is permanent; it does not change.  Those who are destined to hell eventually go there and stay forever, and the same goes for those destined for heaven.  There are major faults in this line of thinking, and this puts into question the credibility of some of his other more fanatic claims as well.

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #65 - Nov 22nd, 2009 at 10:50pm

Below is what I wrote on another thread.

I'd like to add that I stopped reading Swendenborg's heaven and hell because even though he has some good things to say, on more than one occassion he stated that some people end up in hell "forever."

In one paragraph he wrote that some people are cast into hell right after death head first with their feet sticking out.

When he spoke of people going to hell he made no mention of why many people develop in a negative way. There are so many negative influences in this World. Many people are likely to be influenced in a negative way.

One of the reasons we incarnate into this World is so we can learn to live according to love and choose wisely. It isn't reasonable to expect people to be done with the lesson plan before they have a chance to complete it.

Therefore, when I listen to my heart and common sense, Swedenborg is too indifferent to souls who supposedly end up in hell forever.

I doubt souls would choose to incarnate into lives that have negative influences if they understood there is a good chance they might end up in hell for all of eternity, or as Swedenborg says, forever.

Life in this World is a means to a greater end, not a way to get many souls stuck in hell for all of eternity.

Since Swedenborg lived in the 1700's, perhaps he wrote what was relevant to the time period. Perhaps today a more enlightened and less accusatory approach (they get what they deserve) is required.

Perhaps it is possible to set up a system where all souls find their way back to the light, especially those who took on the more challenging lifetimes.

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #66 - Nov 23rd, 2009 at 12:55am

Recoverer

It's obvious to me that a lot of what Swedenborg discovered was at least somewhat influenced by his beliefs, which apparently came from the bible.  Almost every page in Heaven and Hell had references to the bible.  Some of his experiences he related to what was said in the bible.. but it seems like many of his experiences were actually caused by what he read in the bible.  It is usually easy to see through his belief system filter and find truth in his material, but some things are so skewed there seems to be no truth in them whatsoever. 

Anyway, I am still reading the book, for even though it's not 100% accurate, there are still things that can be learned, and it is interesting to see things from his unique perspective.  Like they say, don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #67 - Nov 23rd, 2009 at 1:31pm

Dude:

The thing is, I don't have time to read everything I want to read, so sometimes I move onto something else.

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #68 - Nov 23rd, 2009 at 2:15pm

You guys are way off on ES.  He does state that our natures bring us inevitably to a heaven or hell, but that is to drive home the point.  i have only read his Heaven and Hell and a biography about him.  But I have heard that he speaks of a kind of retrieval from higher planes as well.  I would love to hear a passage from Albert wherein he states that once in a Hell, a person can not leave for eternity. 

Don't forget also, that he is talking from points in time, i.e. the person in the hell has a current nature as such that they should be there.  The evolutionary path of the hellbound, is not, as I recall talked much about.

Matthew

IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #69 - Nov 23rd, 2009 at 2:54pm

Doc-

ES does in fact hint at what Recoverer says.

On pg 111 of Van Dusen's book The Presence of Other Worlds, ES is quoted as follows: "Everything about us comes from the primary tendency of our life......If we are good we make our heaven according to it, and if we are bad we make our hell according to it.  It is our basic motivation, our personality, and our character, since it is the reality of our life.  It cannot be changed after death because it is our essential self." 

From Heavenly Doctrine S57

Elsewhere in the book it's clear that ES believes (or more accurately was informed) that this essential character is with us since birth.  Not only can't we change it after death, it sounds as if we can't change it during life.

I know ES exhorts us to good behavior, but it also seems that unless that behavior flows from a good essential character, it may not necessarily be of much value. 

R

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #70 - Nov 23rd, 2009 at 3:02pm

If you look at your quote from page 111, he does talk about our primary motivation/character.  Of course it can not be changed immediately after death, because it is the immediate post mortem reality.  This is the point he was driving home.  He actually does not address the issue of eternity or evloution in that passage.

M

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #71 - Nov 23rd, 2009 at 3:16pm

Also, Albert and Dude, from an ES forum there are two examples of ES speaking of people being raised up of or out of hells:

Two examples of them are from Spiritual Experiences:
"I desire to state this fact, for I know it to be true, for I have perceived it, that many … [in hell] have been raised from hell and torments into heaven where they now live … [Spiritual Experiences #228]"

"[In a large vat in hell] there are none of those there who perished in the time of the Flood, but they have been brought out … and there are those who have been created anew." SE 286

Also, SE 1497, read in light of SE 1928, indicates that certain spirits remain in a dungeon in hell “for centuries, until their former life is altered … Thus their former life dies, although it still remains.” After this, they were enabled by a “superadded gift” to live among angels. Whether you read this as complementary or contradictory to Heaven and Hell 480, is a subjective judgment, not an objective one."

Matthew

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #72 - Nov 23rd, 2009 at 3:57pm

I can't provide specific quotes since I returned the book to the library.

On more than one occasion Swedenborg says "forever" while saying we can't change our basic nature once we join the afterlife. I don't believe this is negated when he says that "some" spirits move onto a higher realm. He makes it sound as if many never do so.

One time I did that cleansing/retrievel thing I've spoken about for a spirit that was as bad as Hitler when he was a person. He moved on to the light after his energy was cleansed and more light was revealed to him. I figure that if this spirit can be helped, then just about any spirit can be helped.

There is no way a spirit would choose darkness over light if it understood the difference. Therefore, when one doesn't know the difference you have to find a way to show it the difference, rather than say its dark nature is eternal and leave it at that.

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #73 - Nov 23rd, 2009 at 4:44pm

Again, I think ES may have been vague and/or possibly conflicted himself on this issue.  On the one hand, he wanted to emphasize that our inner love drives us to hells or heavens.  That all pretense falls off some time after death, so we willingly pursue our inner love.  For ES, those in hellish realms express a love for the materialistic or the sadistic or hedonistic without the primal love of others or God.

That the stay in the hellish realms is forever I do not think he actually says.  In parts of his writing, such as what I pulled from the ES forum, he implies that a part of the person is altered in the hell and then they are in a heaven.

I must also add that ES was an extremely logical coherent thinker, and though I think many of his ideas came as suggested by his astral travels, it appears to me that he uses a socratic like dialogue to show logically how one thing leads to another in heaven.  This makes one wonder how much came from his brilliant and logical mind and how much came from direct revelation from talks with deceased people (angels). 

M

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #74 - Nov 23rd, 2009 at 5:16pm

Yes, when I read Heaven and Hell I wondered how much came from Swedenborg's intellect and how much came from his experience.

There is also the matter of how he was a prolific writer back in the days when people didn't have computers. It would've been difficult for him to correct contradictions, or when he understated or overstated what he had in mind.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.