Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Good/evil; right/wrong; live/evil ?? (Read 8662 times)
betson

Afterlife Knowledge Member

SE USA
Good/evil; right/wrong; live/evil ??
Oct 29th, 2009 at 11:19am

Hi

I don't know where this will go but I got into it from Neil's post on good and evil --  Is everything wrong evil,
        or is evil a special extreme category?
For example, it's easy enough to make wrong choices that one knows are wrong; but would we make such choices if we thought they were evil?

Bets
And
Is there any truth to the wordplay of the reverse of evil being live?

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

Beau

Greenville SC
Re: Good/evil; right/wrong; live/evil ??
Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 12:25pm

I guess that's the thing. If there is a choice that must be made then the epitome of either is of course rather extreme...for me anyway. Either direction toward the end of itself leads to ...what? Perhaps its more circular than linear. I don't have an answer but at the moment I think identifying or judging good and bad outside yourself will get you back here quicker than anything else. Hey, Lucifer is the lightbearer that's what the name means. Hello? Food for thought is all. Evil/Live? Well, if they are reflections of each other then they are equal, but if they are equal are they really opposite? and I mean in the biggest of pictures. I don't know that falling into the dark abyss is any worse than striving for the light. I don't know anything so I don't 'no' anything--but I try to keep a balanced outlook. I hope this is on topic, Bets.

All the world's a stage...whose stage?--that is the question!...or is it the answer...Who is on first.
IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #2 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 12:50pm

Betson

There is definitely a difference between "wrong" and evil.  I put wrong in quotes because the meaning of this term is not really set in stone- it varies from individual to individual.  A wrong action to one may be the right action to another.  I believe it depends on the intentions behind the action.  It is possible to do something "wrong" for the right reasons.

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #3 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 12:58pm

Recently, in Richmond California, 10 guys beat and gang raped a high school girl who was leaving her homecoming dance for over two hours, while 10 other people stood by and watched. No matter how you slice it, what took place was wrong and had nothing to do with a divine plan.

Regarding Lucifer, the Book of Isaiah initially spoke of a fallen king of Babylonia, a physical person. About a thousand years later Pope Damascus commisioned a man name Jerome to work on some Biblical translations and Jerome erroneously translated the word Lucifer so that a physical person became known as a fallen angel.

Or in other words, there isn't a fallen angel that goes by the name Lucifer.

IP Logged

juditha
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 2:10pm

hi bet my x husband was evil ,i think he was incapable of giving love to anyone,i think he felt love but just could not give it out,i tried and tried to give him love because he had a bad childhood,where his mother was putting it about with anyone she  fancied.

even chained my x husband to a fence outside while she was with yet another man and he was only 9 yrs old when she did this,he was shown no love whatsoever when he was growing up and i payed for this in a big way.

he had so many affairs could never understand why i could not hack it and we finally split,because of that evil unfeeling woman that brought him up.

so i beleive that part in the bible what says evil begets evil and that is so true as i lived through just that off him and now we are divorced

love and god bless  love juditha

IP Logged

b2
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 2:53pm

People take actions. Actions have results. Applying labels such as 'good' and 'evil' is simply a way of categorizing our likes and dislikes for particular results.

Obviously, if the results are not what is 'needed', a different course of action is recommended. Otherwise, I have no use for 'good' and 'bad'. Good and evil, as you like.

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #6 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 3:11pm

What do likes and dislikes have to do with it? Consider the rape case I mentioned. Whether or not such an event is negative, wrong, evil, has nothing whatsover to do with our likes and dislikes. If a person is treated horribly, then something horrible, negative, wrong, evil, did take place.

I don't believe we become sophisticated when we get into this there is no good and evil business. If another being can be disrespected, harmed and caused to suffer, then there "is" such a thing as "wrong" activity.

I can understand why new age people don't want to be accused of being gullible, but for goodness sake, if they don't want to be accused in such a way, then perhaps they should stop acting accordingly.

Is this what the spiritual evolution of this planet needs?  A bunch of people who could've helped this World but were taken in by their gullibility.

Just because new age source A says there is no good and evil, this doesn't mean that such a dichotomy doesn't exist. I'm not saying half of this universe is light and the other half is dark, but certainly negativity rears its ugly head in many ways.

I agree that a day will come when everything works out wonderfully, but perhaps we shouldn't make the mistake of counting our chickens before they hatch, because our aloofness will make it so they never hatch.

Quote:
People take actions. Actions have results. Applying labels such as 'good' and 'evil' is simply a way of categorizing our likes and dislikes for particular results.

Obviously, if the results are not what is 'needed', a different course of action is recommended. Otherwise, I have no use for 'good' and 'bad'. Good and evil, as you like.

IP Logged

b2
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 3:12pm

I'm not interested in debating about a rape case with you. I'm not interested in debating you.

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #8 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 3:37pm

B2:

Certainly it is possible for people to discuss something without it being considered a debate.

If you don't want to read my words, that's fine, but if you don't want people to comment about your thoughts, perhaps you shouldn't share them on a public forum. To me it makes no sense at all to share our thoughts on a public forum, and them expect that nobody will disagree with them.

If fact, you pretty much did the same thing when you responded to the previous posts on this thread.

IP Logged

betson

SE USA
Reply #9 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 5:11pm

Thank you all,

especially to Beau and OOBD who both examined the more philosophical aspects that I was most wondering about, and to Juditha, Recoverer, and b2 for discussing specific examples.

Also to help clarify, I went to the dictionary regarding evil. It said that evil is "of an exceedingly immoral or malevolent intent." That puts evil at quite a distance from wrong, as OOBD said.

We have so much in common here at this forum. I didn't mean to bring up ideas that would separate us in any way.

Thanks, Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

hawkeye

canada
Reply #10 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 6:47pm

In the case of this rape incident..are all the perpetrators "evil"? Or was the act its self what was evil? Will they be going to rape hell? If she thinks poorly of the attackers and wishes them dead, will she end up in hell? What of those girls who stood by knowing what was going on? And finally, is it evil to be "afraid" to step in and not help when you have a dozen mid to large young men violently attacking someone? Is that fear, evil? We all reach out to this young lady. Personally I think a proper deterrent might work. Give the girls Dad a dull knife and strip down the boys so he can remove any offending parts. That might make the next perp think twice about joining in on such a despicable act. (I hope I don't end up in Judge Judy Hell) 

IP Logged

Berserk2

Reply #11 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 7:03pm

The New Testament implies that Jesus made some "wrong" choices as part of His maturation process, but distinguishes "wrong choices from "sin."  We all learn by the trial-and-error of wrong choices.  But many people make choices that are not part of the learning curve; they are motivated by the desire to control and to derive pleasure from the suffering and misfortune of others.  If we don't use the graphic term "evil" to label Nazi genocide or a discarnate's desire to kill small children from the astral planes, just what word would be more appropriate to alert us to this danger?  Language is a tool to help us survive and thrive and the best words are those that do the job we need them to do.  Some people label as "evil" morally flawed neigbors and family members who cause others no deliberate harm.  Such neighbors and family members might be labelled misguided, selfish, or even "bad," depending on their negative behavior patterns, but they should not be labelled evil.  This word must not be watered down so that it loses its power to warn and advise.

Don   

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #12 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 7:26pm

Oh come on Don, why do you have a problem with mincing words? Perhaps instead of saying something such as Jane Roberts Seth is a fraud, I could say, Jane Roberts Seth could be more genuine. Smiley

IP Logged

Berserk2

Reply #13 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 9:53pm

Albert,

Jane Roberts was sadly self-deluded, but she is brutally honest about doubting her gift and the legitimacy of her revelations.  So she hardly seems to be a fraud.  There is an important moral distinction between words like "fraud" and "self-delusion" just as there is between "evil" and "morally flawed."

Don

IP Logged

spooky2

Reply #14 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 11:58pm

"Wrong" or "evil" (as well as the opposite, positive attributes) are, concerning the own person's deeds, always hindsight attributes. If one is really convinced that something is wrong or evil, this one won't do it. We all do always what we think is right- it's a circular definition of course. We simply cannot do what we think is wrong, or evil, as that would simply mean we won't do it. The use of phrases like "I'm doing something real evil now" is just a degradation, or a double-play of language. There is a difference of what someone thinks by him/herself to be evil/wrong and what someone thinks the society may label something as evil/wrong. If someone really thinks "what I am going to do is evil" then he/she just won't do it.

Spooky

"I'm going where the pavement turns to sand"&&Neil Young, "Thrasher"

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.