Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Good/evil; right/wrong; live/evil ?? (Read 8669 times)
Neil Gordon

Re: Good/evil; right/wrong; live/evil ??
Reply #15 - Oct 30th, 2009 at 1:41am

Definitions of words within this reality (which is a dream) don't map to concepts out there in the real world (the spirit world).

However, I would re-define evil in our earth terms, as exclusively and only:

Entrapping,enslaving or causing termination of consciousness, of a spiritual being, through direct action or inaction.

This is done in the universes above this one, and as far as I know we do not know how to trap spiritual beings on earth.

Killing a body can hardly been seen as evil since it happens every day on this planet. They guy probably goes and gets another body and is better off. The point is he is trapped here and that is the evil part, IMO.

IP Logged

vagabound
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Oct 30th, 2009 at 6:58am

Quote:
However, I would re-define evil in our earth terms, as exclusively and only:
Entrapping,enslaving or causing termination of consciousness, of a spiritual being, through direct action or inaction.
Killing a body can hardly been seen as evil since it happens every day on this planet.

Are you saying that the lack of ability to keep a hostage for all eternity is a reason to justify a human being's actions? And that evil ceases to be evil if it happens every day?

By the way, beaurocrats will destroy lives because "the paperwork wasn't filled out right". How's that for evil? But to be honest, I don't believe in evil - here on earth anyway. Most people just do not understand, they do not have enough empathy or their own suffering is too overwhelming for them to cope with it. In my eyes evil would be someone who enjoys seeing other people in pain (not because of revenge or brain damage).

nastarowje,
Vagabound
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2009 at 8:29am by N/A »  

IP Logged

vagabound
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Oct 30th, 2009 at 7:55am

Quote:
Consider the rape case I mentioned. Whether or not such an event is negative, wrong, evil, has nothing whatsover to do with our likes and dislikes. If a person is treated horribly, then something horrible, negative, wrong, evil, did take place.

Well, the trouble with young men is; there's testosterone shooting out of their ears cuz it can't squeeze in with the rest of them. In some regions the punishment and social rejection for offences like that is too low for those kids to try and keep themselves under control. Unfortunately, among teenage kids, it's considered cool to have sex, it's not considered a loving act between two mature adults.
We do need a more appropriate punishment for that but I wouldn't call those kids evil, just human and fairly weak when it comes to fighting their impulses. The abuse is horrible, yes, negative and wrong, but not evil.

nastarowje,
Vagabound

IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Reply #18 - Oct 30th, 2009 at 11:08am

I place myself in the 'Evil is Relative' camp which I sense a couple of posters on here lean towards. Here's why :

Using Recoverer's mass rape example as an act of evil I can think of examples in history where gang rape has been used as an instrument of punishment and revenge e.g. The Soviet march through Germany at the end of the Second World War.We would classify this as an evil act from our perspective. I think perspective is an important concept to bring into the debate. From the perspective of the Soviets after 4 bitter years of warfare the fascists deserved all they got. From Hitler's perspective he really did believe he was serving the German nation by removing 'Jewish' scum. Islamic extremists really believe that the US is the 'great Satan' and killing Americans is holy work. The point I am making is echoing Spooky 'If one is really convinced that something is wrong or evil, this one won't do it' basically 'evil' people don't think that they're evil.

Does this mean that we have to approve of genocide , mass rape or whatever as 'its all relative'. An emphatic no. We don't accept these things because they simply don't agree with how we define who we really are. For example we normally define ourselves as compassionate souls who don't want people to suffer pain.

I agree with Walsch  (sorry anti-New Agers  Wink ) that we define who we think we are by our actions. In the past we would easily have put people to death for trifling issues (from today's perspective) because that was the reality of who we thought we were. We've changed our mind since then and we will continue to do that. I've no doubt that future generations will shake their head at today's barbarisms ( 'you mean they really let people starve to death !' ).

The problem I have with 'Good' and 'Evil' as a concept is that it perpetuates separateness. There are the 'Good' guys usually us and the 'Evil' ones usually them. Remember the 9/11 bombers thought they were the good guys. The illusion of separateness (i.e us and them) leads to warfare, starvation etc. in short - human misery.

Some would say this is just wishy-washy 'new age speak' - 'hey nothing's evil man'. I don't agree, I don't think its an easy option at all it means that if we don't like a behaviour the responsilibity is in ours  to do something about it. In short start the healing process by building bridges instead of barriers. In a practical sense this may mean dialoging with our 'enemies' rather than trying to destroy them, as one example.

Dave

IP Logged

recoverer

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #19 - Oct 30th, 2009 at 4:27pm

heisenberg69:

If you mean me, I'm not anti-new age. It is just that I don't feel good about the many sources that try to deceive new age people.

In a way it is good that you stick up for CWG, regarless of what it's about, because it shows you are loyal to what you believe to be valid.

I agree with Walsch  (sorry anti-New Agers   ) that we define who we think we are by our actions. In the past we would easily have put people to death for trifling issues (from today's perspective) because that was the reality of who we thought we were. We've changed our mind since then and we will continue to do that. I've no doubt that future generations will shake their head at today's barbarisms ( 'you mean they really let people starve to death !' ).

IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Reply #20 - Oct 30th, 2009 at 6:35pm

Hi Recoverer:

I was'nt referring to any individual in particular - I
never get personal its not my style. I certainly would'nt describe myself as a devotee of Walsch  or a new ager at all its just when I feel something is intuitively valuable or helpful to me I give credit for it. What I particularly guard against is 'blunderbuss' i.e carte blanche/unspecific dismissals of material.

I realise we have to be discriminatory in our approach ( if we believe everything we believe nothing ) but I am also discriminatory with skeptics and 'debunkers' because they also often have agendas and prejudices (often unacknowledged) which I may not share.

Dave

IP Logged

ultra

Reply #21 - Nov 2nd, 2009 at 2:18am

Hi Bets, members,

Been a few months...hope everyone is well.
Just wanted to offer this to the discussion...

The Origin and Remedy of Falsehood, Error, Wrong and Evil
Chapter XIV, "The Life Divine", Sri Aurobindo

http://xrl.us/bfz9bc

It is 36 pages* but worth it if you want a deep, thorough, definitive treatment - the best essay I have ever found anywhere on the subject. (the rest of the book ain't bad either)
note: after linking, you may have to re-size smaller to 75% if your browser allows this

Best to all,

- u

* "ultra" abbreviated version: evil = perversion of ignorance

« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2009 at 3:22am by ultra »  

"What the soul sees and has experienced, that it knows; the rest is appearance, prejudice and opinion."
   - Sri Aurobindo

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #22 - Nov 2nd, 2009 at 5:06am

I am the first creation I am the light being sent to banish the dark and its evil lord. It is not compatibly with life it is death and I am life.  I am the compassionate one, it is hate. We are not different we are opposites of the same reality that makes up and consists of all existence

It is the lord of utter darkness and I am the Lord of Light and Life. I am the Giver of life it is the Taker of Life

The battle continues forever, for eternities the dark smothers the light and for eternities the light dispels the dark. Take heart the battle is only in the grey domain the twilight zone between light and dark love and hate, life and death

I the story teller am the Light Being raging against the dark to bring you into the eternal light of love where I dwell always in beautiful composite light

Your Universe is the twilight zone the grey between heaven and hell the domain of the Dark Lord and the domain of the Light Lord .

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

ultra

Reply #23 - Nov 2nd, 2009 at 11:54am

ultra wrote on Nov 2nd, 2009 at 2:18am:
Hi Bets, members,

Been a few months...hope everyone is well.
Just wanted to offer this to the discussion...

The Origin and Remedy of Falsehood, Error, Wrong and Evil
Chapter XIV, "The Life Divine", Sri Aurobindo

http://xrl.us/bfz9bc

It is 36 pages* but worth it if you want a deep, thorough, definitive treatment - the best essay I have ever found anywhere on the subject. (the rest of the book ain't bad either)
note: after linking, you may have to re-size smaller to 75% if your browser allows this

Best to all,

- u

* "ultra" abbreviated version: evil = perversion of ignorance

Apologies for any inconvenience...

Evidently the above link does not work.
Unfortunately, links to their ashram which provides the entire library of writings frequently do not work as has been my experience.

If you have interest in accessing the cited essay,
I suggest the alternative of going to google books and
entering the following phrase in the site search field:

aurobindo origin remedy falsehood

This will retrieve the specified chapter.

best regards,
- u

"What the soul sees and has experienced, that it knows; the rest is appearance, prejudice and opinion."
   - Sri Aurobindo

IP Logged

betson

SE USA
Reply #24 - Nov 2nd, 2009 at 12:25pm

Greetings ultra!

Good to hear from you again!

Until we get that work read, can we hear more from you about evil as 'the perversion of ignorance'?
For example I can recall thinking of doing something wrong and telling myself that I don't really know, am ignorant of, how wrong it might be in the big scheme of things, so I'd go ahead and do it, then wait to be smited down. Was I perverting my ignorance?

Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

Beau

Greenville SC
Reply #25 - Nov 2nd, 2009 at 12:43pm

Well it is an interesting chapter but a lot of the pages are missing on Google. Angry

All the world's a stage...whose stage?--that is the question!...or is it the answer...Who is on first.
IP Logged

ultra

Reply #26 - Nov 2nd, 2009 at 3:39pm

betson wrote on Nov 2nd, 2009 at 12:25pm:
Greetings ultra!

Good to hear from you again!

Until we get that work read, can we hear more from you about evil as 'the perversion of ignorance'?
For example I can recall thinking of doing something wrong and telling myself that I don't really know, am ignorant of, how wrong it might be in the big scheme of things, so I'd go ahead and do it, then wait to be smited down. Was I perverting my ignorance?

Bets

Hi Bets,
Thanks for the hearty hi ho!

Briefly, the idea is that the physical universe in which we find ourselves is an involution of divinity into matter - which is simply another aspect of and an instrumentality of the very same divinity except in a dynamic evolving form (vs static and unmanifest).

Here we are necessarily ignorant of divine essense/origin (Being) as an intrinsic condition, ie nescience in some degree - it is part of the "game". The purpose is an evolution (becoming) where greater more comprehensive consciousness is "acquired", more accurately realized (since it is already within) through an evolutionary process called life, in which infinite possibilities of that evolutionary realization process can be worked out on an individual basis.

What happens with evil is that relative to any individual achievement of greater, higher, more inclusive, more subjective etc. consciousness while on the physical plane, a deliberate individual choice can be made to preserve or promote the continuation of the ignorance, vs transcending it as a continuation of the normal process - a deliberate perversion of the evolutionary process which uses a limited transitory knowledge for the very purpose of thwarting in some way this evolution in oneself, another, or group, perhaps even the world.

So for instance, if a six year old is ignorant of certain physical laws and starts a fire in which someone is hurt, this is not necessarily evil even if unfortunate. However if a "normal" educated 36 year old who knows these laws uses that very knowledge to start a fire deliberately knowing and/or intending the consequences of some damage, destruction, etc., and someone is hurt - this could be evil.

This is an admittedly superficial explanation, much better explained in the article.
Imo, the reading and understanding of this one single article could be responsible for reducing bandwidth demand for 50% of all internet discussion oriented traffic! (lol) Of course, that would also be a superficial manifestation.
-----
To answer your specific question, if I am able to at all, my feeling is that if you are questioning motive with an intention to expand consciousness then this is part of the evolutionary process and not a perversion of it. You may still make a mistake, but mistakes in this context are obviously not "evil" and simply an artifact of process through a limited knowing - which is evolving. This is why designations like "sin" are problematic and fraught with debilitating connotations, ie: mistakes are evil - which ironically perhaps is promoting of a kind of evil in itself because it facilitates "stuckness".

best regards to you,
- u

- Sri Aurobindo

IP Logged

ultra

Reply #27 - Nov 2nd, 2009 at 4:03pm

Hello Beau,

Sorry for all this trouble.

It seems the site navigation for their "E-Library" may be faulty, at least it is through my browser. What may work better is to retrieve material through a "custom search" (upper left, site home page) by key words. I did this (see below) knowing the chapter title and was able to get a url for the table of contents here, then scoll down for chapter (it is pretty far down).

http://xrl.us/bf2fv6

Hope this helps, but if the above link does not work you may have to do the following, however you will gain access to much good material though access to the entire library.
1) go to the Sri Aurobindo Ashram site here:

http://sriaurobindoashram.info

2) using left side navigation bar choose
E-Library, then
Works of Sri Aurobindo, then
English, then
Book title - in this case, "The Life Divine" Vol 18, then
Book 2, Part I, Chapter XIV "The Origin and Remedy of Falsehood Error Wrong and Evil"

-----------
If that fails, do site custom search - upper left on home page - for "remedy falsehood error evil" - This will get the book and table of contents - 

scroll down and look for Book 2, Part I, Chapter XIV
or click on "view matches..." to see the chapter.
----------------
Another good resource to try with downloadable pdf's for many books is  this:
http://www.sriaurobindoashram.org/ashram/sriauro/writings.php
-----------------
Hope this helps AND works!
Again sorry for any inconvenience or frustration.

best regards,

- u

- Sri Aurobindo

IP Logged

Beau

Greenville SC
Reply #28 - Nov 2nd, 2009 at 7:37pm

Hi ultra,

I will check out the new links as soon as I have expended all my energy and stamina in my facebook Mafia wars game...I'm afraid I am rather addicted. Thank you.

All the world's a stage...whose stage?--that is the question!...or is it the answer...Who is on first.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.