Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Is it okay for me to kill? (See post for info) (Read 8053 times)
hawkeye

Afterlife Knowledge Member

canada
Re: Is it okay for me to kill? (See post for info)
Reply #15 - Oct 13th, 2009 at 5:29pm

Of course its OK to kill them. Splat!

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #16 - Oct 13th, 2009 at 5:36pm

Doc

Its true, certain animals eat certain other animals- for survival.  Not because one got in their way or inconvenienced them.. that is generally the case anyway.  I'm aware that certain animals are territorial, but if that is their true nature, or generated by fear, I don't know. 

I agree that it's important to keep a clean and safe house- but if it is not neccessary to end the intruder's life, then it should not be done.  Simply removing the insect, like Ralph suggested, is a perfect way to rid yourself of the problem without being a terminator of life.

Killing someone in self defence is a tricky subject.  On the one hand, it is instinctive to protect yourself and your loved ones.  On the other hand, I don't agree with taking a human life, regardless of the circumstances.  Ideally one would be able to incompacitate the offender without doing serious harm.  An eye for an eye is a false concept in my book.

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

IP Logged

Beau

Greenville SC
Reply #17 - Oct 13th, 2009 at 5:50pm

"An Eye for An Eye" is referencing money lending not revenge.

All the world's a stage...whose stage?--that is the question!...or is it the answer...Who is on first.
IP Logged

DocM

Reply #18 - Oct 13th, 2009 at 7:32pm

In the great words of Paul McCartney  "Hey Dude, don't make it bad.  Take a sad song and make it better."  Oh wait a minute, that was 'Hey Jude.'  My mistake.

As I said before, I agree and believe that I revere all life in general, but you can't always avoid taking life.  You certainly can have it be your intent not to kill.  Several real life examples come to mind.  Years ago, our house had a mouse problem.  Rather than kill the mice (which I was loathe to do), I bought "humane traps" where the mouse could breathe, and you could release them out into the wild.  I caught about a dozen mice that way over weeks.  But the best laid plans of mice and men.......well you get the idea.  What happened next was gruesome.  Many times the humane trap would be untouched for days or weeks.  And they were checked regularly.  Except once in a while, a mouse would wander into one and be terrified and die trying to escape.  Others would get caught if a trap fell by the mouse pushing it, and die a slow, agonizing death.  The bottom line - while I released more than a dozen that way, I felt the times the mice did die in there was more gruesome than any spring mouse trap made.  In situations like that infestation, you can't "just live with the mice," for they leave droppings in your pantry, carry disease and die in the walls, in hard to get to places.  My intent was not to kill, but there were few alternatives.  Living with the mice, and the consequences was not an option.  I didn't invite them in to begin with.

With regard to the attacker assaulting you and your family - I train in jiu jitsu, and there are techniques we train in to immobilize an attacker without killing.  Only advanced, extremely skilled individuals have that much control in random situations.  But.....
In the passion and moment of an unexpected attack, sometimes an attacker won't give up or cease as long as they have breath/fight in them.  If you are then saying that you would let you and/or your loved one (wife, mother, etc.) die, you are missing a bigger picture here.

Being a pacifist, and revering life does not mean that in the physical world, we should never defend ourselves.  We can cherish love - the driving force behind the universe, and defend ourselves or someone else for the sake of love.  Was it not correct to take up resistance and yes, arms against the Nazis in Germany?  Should the whole world have willingly walked into the gas chambers and succumb to them out of conscience, saying " I won't fight or take a life?"  Most would say, "no, of course they should have been opposed." 

I stand by my comments that one can believe that killing is wrong, but from a consciousness point of view, it is your intent that matters most.  If a person ends up killing insects, mice, or other animals, as a byproduct of a necessary situation in the physical plane, where one has no other reasonable choice, it is different than a person setting out to kill for the sake of killing. 

The same is true of defending oneself if attacked.  One can defend and have love in one's heart, and yet the attacker may have perished.  It is, to me not the same thing as attacking another person with the intent to do harm.

Matthew

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #19 - Oct 13th, 2009 at 7:47pm

I agree that there are circumstances in which killing may be the only option for the greater good.  However, this idea is only relative in our present murderous society.  Ideally, we would live in a society where noone: human, animal, or insect- would have to be killed for reasons out of sync with love.  My original point is that if the insect can be freed from one's home without harming it, this should always be done.

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #20 - Oct 13th, 2009 at 8:37pm

I agree.

IP Logged

Terethian
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Oct 14th, 2009 at 7:17am

I am not saying that I am the same as a maggot per se, and yes if it comes down to my life or a maggot's life I would choose myself.

Obviously I am different in many ways from an insect...

But....

It seems wrong at least to me to assume that an insect is an automatic creature that is meaningless and soul-less meanwhile I on the other hand... which is "better" has a soul etc.

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #22 - Oct 14th, 2009 at 11:21am

word up homie

IP Logged

Volu

Right here and right there
Reply #23 - Oct 14th, 2009 at 4:37pm

Besides my liking for putting an edge to thoughts, I do find it heartwarming to read some of the posts in this thread. I find cruelty against any life form repulsive, but personally dip into grey areas when it comes to self-defense, where some might find that cruel. Another scenario I can think of is once where banana flies, also spirit energy animating bodies, went into the food and drink. Lots of clapping, but no sing along on my part. Self-defense, nah, but still I clapped, and would do so now.

Today I went to a friend's house, and while my friends were playing a game, I and a friend's companion cat cuddled. I noticed that the cat interacted with one of my chakras in a healing way, and I directed energy though the hands back to the cat, and it was pure bliss.

Vegetarian is an old indian word for bad hunter.

IP Logged

goobygirl

USA
Reply #24 - Oct 14th, 2009 at 11:08pm

BTW it does say "thou shalt not kill" not that thou shalt not murder a person.

I don't put much stake into the Bible, so it doesn't matter to me.

Diatomaceous earth is a wonderful product to put around plants and put into animal feed, keeps down fly population and is natural product.

Food grade is what you want. It is even good for people and dogs. Read up.

I believe in doing as little harm as possible. I try not to kill. But if some insect is eating more of my garden than I can afford, I use natural soap spray and diatomaceous earth. I even pick up stranded earthworms in the driveway. Hey, it's not hurting me to have a tender heart.
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2009 at 2:20am by goobygirl »  

Goobygirl

IP Logged

Terethian
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 12:15pm

Well, it seems a simple thing to say, a maggot is disgusting and vile, I should kill it. But do I truly understand this being? It is a living thing. How can I be so sure that it is ok to destroy it?

Scientists are somewhat uncertain how to measure intelligence. I say this because there are many ways of testing.

A cat for instance, will NOT understand it's reflection in a mirror. It will most likely completely ignore it!
A bird, I think it was a magpie, will actually react to a speck on it's feathers if it sees the spot in the mirror and will proceed to clean it off.

WOW.... think about that. Just because it is a lower life form does not mean it has no consciousness..... does not mean it is an automatic being of no importance. That maggot could have a very specific consciousness which we simply cannot measure since we do not know how....

All of this mainly leaves me, very very confused and uncertain....!

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 2:33pm

Coming in late as usual. Viewed from one perspective the situation is quite black and white - and not in the least a matter of shades of grey between right and wrong:

1. All beings command love, and that probably  includes Gaia/the earth - who knows what has consciousness, and what not?)

2. Realised beings are inacapable of anything except loving behavours.

3. Trouble is we all as a result of our belief in separate individuality have placed ourselves in an ego created reality of competing selves built on fear - with the result that we believe we can only survive by behaving aggressively towards others.

4. Even those of us who at some level have come to know that this view is mistaken have not so far been unable to shed our belief in this reality, and so we find ourselves 'between stools' - trying to be loving, but  'here' as a life form that needs to eat and otherwise use others to survive.

5. It's really not possible to be here, and to not be subject to/believe many the rules of this reality. (you could say the physics of it) So its pretty much impossible not to take life or do other harm at times. Even Jesus presumably trod on lots of insects by accident, and seems not to have been a vegetarian. (vegetables are life anyway)

6. The fix is to drop our attachment to/belief in self, and in the need to inhabit this self made reality to survive - the physical body and the intellect we think is 'me'. With that goes our fear of returning to God/the whole and we're out of here.

But that's realisation, and most of us are trapped by our beliefs/attachments. The key perspective for us seem to be how we relate to this situation.

Its important to minimise the suffering we cause, because otherwise we create karma that makes it even harder for us to step free - for example in the form of aggressive responses from those that as a result fear us, and as a result threaten us. Making it likely we will respond in like manner, thus escalating the cycle of fear, aggression and suffering.

It's very difficult to progress spiritually if we're so scared that we're driven to instinctively lash out in 'self' defence all the time.

The key perspective is forgiveness of others (for the above reason), and especially of ourselves for whatever we may do. Self blame and the resulting guilt and fear of retribution - whether from others, through karmic consequences that we ourselves actually create, or from an imaginary vengeful God for 'sin' inevitably drives us further into delusional perception, and blinds us to the voice of Spirit, and to love.

Even more so in the afterlife context when these guilt based beliefs, and the resulting fear drive us into ever less love filled rebirths and life circumstances.

Forgiveness (or the dropping of our attachment to this guilt and fear based belief system - a system which is not compatible with a loving God) builds  from the knowledge that only love is real, and that no matter how we feel we have 'sinned' or been sinned against, or done wrong or been done wrong that it's not for real except in our own mind - and that if it is to have consequences that can only be as a result of our own mistaken belief in it.

That viewed from reality or the perspective of Spirit that it never happened, and that any ersatz reality it appears to have is entirely of our own making.

When we truly transcend these beliefs it all falls away...
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2009 at 8:37pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Cricket

Reply #27 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 3:52pm

Its true, certain animals eat certain other animals- for survival.  Not because one got in their way or inconvenienced them.. that is generally the case anyway.  I'm aware that certain animals are territorial, but if that is their true nature, or generated by fear, I don't know.

Actually, plenty of animals will kill because they were inconvienienced, or just for fun.  Racoons will wipe out an entire flock of chickens (or ducks), as will 'possums.  I know any number of donkeys, and a few mules, who will kill any dog, cat, woodchuck, or other small critter that gets in their pasture.  Some of that may be territoriality, but the small animals are no actual threat, they just "annoy".

I suspect the only reason that most animals don't kill bugs is because they don't have a good method - no hands, hard to slap a mosquito.  Most will catch and kill (and sometimes eat) large flies like horse flies, given the chance.

Nature, red in tooth and claw, as the man said.  People take it to extremes, it's true, but, as they say, it's a jungle out there.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.