Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Inspiration (Read 8244 times)
recoverer

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Re: Inspiration
Reply #15 - Oct 13th, 2009 at 1:57pm

Alan said: "Neal Donald Walsch claims he is Dialoguing and debating with God on a sort of buddy buddy peer peer relationship. So according to him he actually hears the very voice of the most hight god

I make no such claim my creation essay and others by myself are the result of of deep introspection, meditation and thing about the reason of existence. I don't see myself as a separate entity from god only a part of him that must remember what I have forgotten and write it down."

Recoverer responds: "I believe that what Alan stated is an important point.

When a person claims to present words that come from God himself, there is the possibility that a reader will assume that the words are always true, even when the words contradict what a person believes to be true. A person might make the mistake of believing according to what a person like Walsch says, rather than trusting their own judgment and intuition.

I've seen this sort of thing happen so much with people who follow gurus. Some gurus make the claim in one way or the other that when you speak to them you speak to God. People who follow such gurus often put the guru's words before their own discrimination. This can be a big mistake for various reasons.

Regarding what Walsch says, perhaps he says some good things at times, but I've also found that he says things that are false. Therefore, I don't believe it is correct for him to claim that his words come from God.

If he actually receives words from God, he should be able to sit in front of a panel of experts from different fields of knowledge, and answer all of their questions in an accurate manner. I doubt that he could do such a thing.

Therefore, perhaps he should call his books "Conversations with Myself," even if this would affect how much his books sell.

IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Reply #16 - Oct 13th, 2009 at 3:51pm

Recoverer- you make a fair point and personally I feel that Walsch would have been better served to use another word than God. But I believe that the word 'God' is so vague anyway meaning all things to all people that it loses something.For example there is the archetypal image of a white-bearded man on a cloud dispensing lightning justice, the uninvolved deist God of the physicist best seller to the loving God of the Christian and all variations in between.However, closer inspection of the CWG text soon reveals the way Walsch uses the term.It becomes clear that Walsch does'nt claim to have a monopoly of the truth (he tells us God has spoken throughout the ages to many people)- indeed our truth changes as we evolve that the words of his books are not to be taken as the 'last word' (spiritual teaching necessarily come through a human filter ); according to Walsch we are always changing our mind and that is how it should be. If that were'nt true we would still be executing homosexuals and adulterers.

As for whether you believe Walsch's words to be 'true' or 'false' - if his words don't serve you and where you wish to go then use your free-will and reject it - but don't worry unlike some countries in the world you won't be stoned for being a heretic.

p.s. given that according to Walsch 'we are all one ' I think you may have guessed the title of his next book !

Don- I agree 'only the hopelessly naive would uncritically accept anyone's claim that their books are based on dictated words from God' but I would extend that to any written material whether its 'New Age' best sellers or biblical text.
'The contradictions between ACIM and the real Jesus are widely reported and too obvious too mention.' I'm intrigued by this because as far as I understood it although there is a general academic consensus that the the historical figure of Jesus existed there is considerable academic debate about the 'real Jesus' and his teachings. As a theologian are you now able to state that a consensus has been reached ?

Dave

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #17 - Oct 13th, 2009 at 5:22pm

heisenberg69:

I believe that the man Jesus Christ lived because I had spiritual experiences and received spiritual messages stating that he did live as the man the Bible speaks about.

One night I had what I refer to as my night in heaven experience. I've spoken of this before on this forum, I'll describe it in a different way. I'll limit the discussion to the part that related to Jesus.

"I'm in space, but not physical space. In a manner that is much clearer and certain than I usually understand, I know that the Bible's story of Jesus is true. I'm really surprised that this is so, because I'm an atheist (remember, this is past tense). I don't see Jesus and nobody tells me about him, the knowledge of his reality exists in a manner that is way beyond how I ordinarilly understand something. This knowledge doesn't feel repressive. In fact, it feels quite wonderful and is connected to an understanding that lets me know that not only does the afterlife exist, I completely understand how it is possible for the afterlife to exist without having to think about it. It is just that I forgot about the afterlife while living in this World. Life in this realm of spirit is what my existence is truly about. The problems of the World are gone. The happiness level in this realm is absolutely wonderful."

This experience didn't inform me on a verse by verse basis, which verses in the gospels are accurate. The feeling I had was that the overall story of Jesus is accurate.

When it comes to what different people have wrote about Jesus, I figure people could work an argument one way or the other. I believe I'll have to stick to what my experiences have told me. I'm not the only person to have a non-physical experience that involved the spirit of Jesus. Because of my experiences, I'm open to considering what they say, rather than concluding that they had some sort of interpretive error.

IP Logged

spooky2

Reply #18 - Oct 13th, 2009 at 10:36pm

I agree with the approach Recoverer made on Jesus, which is more or less "go and find out for yourself".

However, when there is spoken of "the real Jesus", referring to a safely indentified historical person, I must say this is not scientific at all. We don't have any hard scientific informations about Jesus as a real person. We have scripture which can be evaluated by many factors, but finally, after this long time, the corpus of scripture in it's entirety is far less credible and precise as, for example, what we have in scripture about Plato and Aristotle.

Spooky

"I'm going where the pavement turns to sand"&&Neil Young, "Thrasher"

IP Logged

Berserk2

Reply #19 - Oct 14th, 2009 at 12:51am

Spooky,

After Constantine te availability of books by classical authors is generally due to Christian scribes.  So the Gospels are far more abundantly attested in the early manuscript tradition than Plato, Aristototle, or for that matter, Julius Caesar.  Also, we have far more information about Jesus' LIFE than the LIVES of either philosopher!  By the way, why do you believe there ever was a teacher named "Buddha" (Siddartha Gautama)?  Lives of the Buddha cannot be found until about 600 years after his death!  At least, the New Testament Gospels can be connected with eyewitness testimony and can be dated to the century in which He lived.

Don

IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Reply #20 - Oct 14th, 2009 at 4:34am

Recoverer-

your experiences have great meaning for you, thanks for sharing.

Spooky-

I don't think you would find many academics to doubt that the historical figure of Jesus lived in Palestine about 2000 years ago (even noted atheist Richard Dawkins accepts this), my point is that I was sceptical that anyone could point to a definitive objective 'real Jesus' as Don seemed to be suggesting. I believe this uncertainty comes from (amongst other things) translational error, debate over which texts should be part of the official canon (e.g 'apocryphal' gospels) and alleged plagiarism (ironically something which Don says Walsch is discredited for !).

Recoverer's personal experience of Christ i'm not sceptical about.

Dave

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #21 - Oct 14th, 2009 at 1:47pm

The words that are attributed to the Buddha don't all sound the same.  For example, the Dhammapada (a Theravadin scripture) sounds quite different than some of the Mahayanist scriptures that are attributed to Buddha. I can't say one way or the other if a man known as Buddha existed, because I haven't taken the time to figure it out. I figure Buddhist teachings were started by somebody, and throughout the years evolved into different forms.

For example, Zen Buddhism (a form of Mahayana Buddhism) has a historical connection to Chan Buddhism, but is different in some ways.

Tibetan Buddhism (also a form of Mahayana Buddhism), even though it shares some of the same principles as Chan Buddhism, is quite different in some ways.

It seems as if the local culture has had a big affect on how Buddhism has evolved. Different teachers have come up with their own protocols. For example, Bankei's approach is quite different than the approach of the Tibetan teacher who first had people do thousands of prostrations each day.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.