Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
I fear death (Read 17675 times)
b2
Ex Member

Re: I fear death
Reply #15 - Sep 23rd, 2009 at 12:32pm

I don't know about the 'evil beings' part..., but I have a relative who is a buddhist and who firmly believes that after death she will go into a deep sleep. "It's just like sleep" she insisted at one point.

Actually, she's changing her tune now. I don't know why.

But, at the time, my immediate impression was to tell her, "Well, don't be surprised if someone wakes you up." I mean, whoever gave anyone the impression that a human being ever gets to sleep for very long, anyway? Does that really happen?

QuantumSoul wrote on Sep 22nd, 2009 at 12:07am:
Hello all, new here. I believe I may have been conditioned by Christianity beyond repair. It says in the Bible that there is no consciousness after death. We all "sleep" until Jesus returns. There is nobody and nothing that can convince me that Jesus never existed, I believe Jesus/Horus was based on a historical person, but Christianity frightens me in some ways. Can you guys please share with me the reason(s) you're so confident about life after death and you're not being fooled by any "evil beings"?

I'd like to just add that when I was 12 I was clinically dead and I experienced nothing but blackness. No NDE or anything like that. Thoughts?

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Sep 23rd, 2009 at 4:12pm

I guess B2 that one of the definitive sources of (in this case Tibetan) Buddhist teaching on the afterlife is the Tibetan book of the dead - it's very specific (but possibly quite allegorical, i don't know) on the various steps.

Another Tibetan teaching that focuses more on teaching themes (but is built around the view that life, death  and afterlife comprise a cycle we are stuck in until we transcend it) is the 'wheel of existence', a graphical depiction of the cycle of death and re-birth, and of many of the factors that determine our path: http://www.religionfacts.com/buddhism/symbols/wheel_of_life.htm

From the link:

The Tibetan Wheel of Life symbolizes the Buddhist perspective on life and contains within it numerous symbols of Buddhist themes and teachings.

The creature who turns the wheel of life and holds it in his clutches is Yama, a wrathful deity and the Lord of Death. (you might say a representation of a personified version of the collective ego - V) Yama symbolizes the inevitability of death, samsara and the impermanence of all things. (in this reality)

This does not lead to hopelessness, though, because outside of the wheel stands the Buddha, who points the way to liberation (symbolized by the moon).

The inner circle of the wheel contains symbols of the three root delusions: hatred (snake), ignorance (rooster), and greed (pig).

The ring around the center represents karma, with the figures on the left ascending to higher realms of existence because of virtuous actions, and the figures on the right descending to lower realms of existence because of evil or ignorant actions.

The middle ring of the wheel (the areas between the spokes) symbolizes the six realms of existence. The top half, from left to right, portrays the three higher realms of existence: humans, gods, and demi-gods. The lower half shows the three lower realms of existence: animals, hell-beings, and hungry ghosts.

The outer ring represents the 12 links of dependent origination, as follows:

1. Just to the right of the top is a blind man with a cane, representing ignorance of the true nature of the world.
   2. Moving clockwise, a potter molding a pot symbolizes that we shape our own destiny with our actions through the workings of karma.
   3. The monkey climbing a tree represents consciousness or the mind, which wanders aimlessly and out of control.
   4. Consciousness gives rise to name and form, which is symbolized by people traveling in a boat on the river of life.
   5. The next link is an empty house, the doors and windows of which symbolize the developing sense organs. Buddha noted six senses: sight, smell, taste, hearing, touch and thought.
   6. The six senses allow us to have contact with the world, which is symbolized by lovers embracing.
   7. From contact arises feelings, which we categorize as pleasant, unpleasant, or neutral. Feelings are represented on the wheel as an arrow piercing the eye.
   8. From feelings arises desire or attachment to pleasant feelings and experiences, symbolized by a couple falling in love or a man drinking alcohol.
   9. Desire or attachment leads to grasping for an object of desire, symbolized by a monkey picking fruit.
  10. From grasping arises existence, represented by a man and a woman making love.
  11. Existence culminates in birth (entry into the human realm), which is symbolized by a woman in childbirth.
  12. Birth naturally leads to aging and death, which is symbolized by an old man carrying a burden.

« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2009 at 9:18pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 12:56pm

Hi Quantum. At a more practical level one means of dealing with anxiety is to sit with it - to meditate, and rather than in a sense suppressing, hating or mentally trying to ignore what we fear to connect in a more open way with the reality of the experience that it is. To 'make friends with it'.

In my own case i had serious health problems which as well as being a threat in their own right caused major career and financial worries. Over the years I developed this very unpleasant and almost painful knot in my solar plexus, my gut was a mess and everything just looked grey.

It took several months, but eventually this whammo insight hit me while meditating to the effect that my problem was artificial. The pain in my gut wasn't actually that bad, my situation right then was basically OK, i was getting hung up about what were only possibilities, and whatever would be would anyway be.

In a sense the knot in my gut was triggering 'worry about worry', and i was getting sucked into the whole vicious circle.

My experience was that all the great load of fear fell away from me with that insight, and over a period of months the feeling of being stressed (for no very conscious reason) slowly evaporated.

Even if you don't meditate it can help enormously to lightly go more deeply into the topic that is bothering you. To contemplate death (that's not to think obsessively about it), especially with the assistance of teaching that provides a practical view (e.g. even a very accessible treatment like that of Sogyal Rinpoche in his Tibetan Book of Living and Dying) very quickly leads us to some fairly basic conclusions  - like for example it's inescapable so there's no point getting bothered about it, but that on the other hand all the signs are that we continue in one form or another.

Also that when we do engage with the topic we find that there's a lot we can do in this life to achieve a lot more equanimity about death, and to make the prospect and the actual transition a lot less frightening.

It's a bit like getting all bothered about something we fear like making a speech, only to find that when we engage by preparing ourself that (a) with this work much of the fear is shown to be irrational and even if it doesn't evaporate it reduces to manageable levels, and (b) that the reality is anyway nothing like what we imagined, and maybe even a bit of an exciting adventure.

It's so easy to get into a situation where far from worrying about realistic possibilities we instead have got conditioned to respond to some cue that kicks us off when we become even peripherally aware of it - irrespective of logic or of the reality, in that we go from peripheral awareness to reaction without awareness of deciding to do this, and certainly without any conscious or mindful thought. Like the knot in my gut, which in the end was only a knot in my gut that bore little or no relationship to the reality of my life situation.

Yet i'd fed it energy and habit until all it needed was the lightest awareness of it to in a reflex action cue this enormous ball of unthinking and irrational fear - which in turn made the knot worse than before.....

Eckhardt Tolle refers to this as a pain body, Tibetan Buddhism might call this particular aspect of ego a 'demon' we've created through our imaginings, and by pouring mind energy into it. It's not real, but it sure as hell has power - this is arguably in the end the root of all illness.

Tibetan Buddhism uses the practice of Chod to help people deal with their gods (craving they have built into problems), and their demons. Tsultrim Allione is a western lady who has written in very accessible terms about this, and provides very simple and practical methods of dealing with our fears. Here's her audio book on the topic named 'Cutting Through Fear' : http://www.amazon.com/Cutting-Through-Fear-Tsultrim-Allione/dp/159179403X

Another very accessible writer on dealing with fear (what the spiritual path is all about) is Pema Chodron. She's all over Amazon, but here's a CD: http://www.namsebangdzo.com/From_Fear_to_Fearlessness_Pema_Chodron_p/12219.htm

IP Logged

b2
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 1:27pm

Wonderful comments, Vajra. I cannot really reply competently except to say that I agree wholeheartedly with the notion that 'framing' of emotion is very important. For instance, one can become very obsessed with the physical condition of the body, or become accustomed to ignoring it as much as possible. Perhaps, at times, it is simply good to have a 'healthy curiosity' about such things, and to continue to encourage that, rather than framing it in words like 'fear' or

OH MY GOD I'M GONNA DIE

or

OH MY GOD I MUST BE DEAD

I can only imagine what I might say if I found myself in some kind of endless, everlasting darkened room. I did wake up in one -- while asleep -- one time. But I found a way out of it, and there was not only light but there were friends just at the end of the hallway.

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 7:12pm

Exactly B2, the Buddhist terms that the describe the sort of grasping way of engaging with thoughts or events that cue our fears are attachment, aversion and ignorance - the root of all suffering, and in fact in the end the basis of this seeming reality.

Attachment means fearfully clinging to what we're convinced we need or must retain - either 'things' in physical life, or prejudiced perceptions or beliefs that cause us to draw mistaken conclusions in mind terms.

Aversion means fearfully doing everything we can to avoid the same - be they internal (mind based) or external seeming realities as above.

Ignorance leads to both - as a result of so to speak poor mental 'hygiene' - this in turn the result of wrong views that cause us to think and do what causes us suffering, to not know how to live, to not know how to handle our minds (so we gain wisdom and compassion) to reduce this suffering...

Another way of putting it is that we need to get back into the 'now', in that in our usual fearful and agitated state we almost always draw rigid but inaccurately negative (or inaccurately rose tinted) conclusions from our past experience, and habitually then look for cues to justify applying these mis-preconceptions when we try to predict the future in an attempt to  stay out of trouble.

The problem is that these conclusions and predictions are inevitably fear based and ego driven, and blind us to the reality of life and other people and beings that is straight in front of us in the now, in the moment.

An example might be a (fear inspired) prejudice that causes us to act badly towards people of another race or nationality. Or animals. 'All ....-ians are nasty and dangerous', or 'all dogs want to bite me' or 'animals are inferior and so deserving of the worst possible treatment' or 'the law is fair' are patently untrue positions, but positions that many by their actions can be seen to buy into.

Worse still when we act towards others out of these mind made but actually mistaken unreal prejudices they are reinforced because the resulting aggression,  fear and mistakes trigger similar responses in others.

So we feel justified in our mistaken view - when in reality had we managed a fresh and true view of e.g. the other person we would have seen that they were deserving of love - and they would have responded in kind.

This is one meaning of realisation, or of spiritual awakening - coming into the ability to see people, beings and things as they really are - as perfect and deserving of love.

This might not seem so important, but the opposite is the case. The eternal 'now' is the only true reality, the place where God is, the place where love is - but most of us are so caught in past and future imaginings (that seem much more real to us) that we cannot even see it.

All else is delusion. Fear begets fear and aggression, and love begets love. These are simultaneously existing realms, both  are to us self justifying, but only the latter is real.

Fear of death, or of anything else (and it's damn hard to get to genuinely getting past this fear) is only the result of our buying the fear based line of ego - which sees the death of the physical body as the end. When we buy this line the resulting angst blocks the possibility of our connecting with love and higher knowing.

Our task is to become able to look beyond the ego inspired line to higher realities - which when we find the courage (as well as the wisdom and compassion) to act on them seem inevitably to prove true, and to bring joy and release.

Pardon the length again, but this stuff is practically applicable and for real....

IP Logged

devayan

Australia
Reply #20 - Sep 25th, 2009 at 3:04am

QuantumSoul wrote on Sep 22nd, 2009 at 1:17am:
Vee wrote on Sep 22nd, 2009 at 12:43am:
It's interesting that your brain recorded memories while you were in blackness and clinically dead, dear one.
It might be helpful, I don't know, to mention that when we die, we can lose the heartbeat and be clinically dead, but our energy field is still in the body, and you don't let go of your body until your energy field has dropped free of it for the last time.
I have watched people and pets in the death process, and after the heartbeat is gone and they are declared dead, I can still see the energy field as it slowly, over minutes or longer, leaves the body. You can see when it is gone, the bright colorful lights vanish at last and sometimes the clear visual outline of the person's facial structure finally vanishes. Your energy field must have been well in possession of your body while you were clinically dead, and you had apparently not left your body behind at all.
There is definite advantage in learning to watch energy fields, even in the most basic way, as it allows you to know when someone or a pet has truly "passed."I do recommend, if you do not practice this skill, to start simple exercises to spot this beautiful evidence of life beyond the physical. You can start by placing a green plant in front of a cream-colored wall. Sit and watch the plant, eventually you will thrilled and surprised to see flashes of green lights splashing around between the branches and leaves and around the outline of the plant. Then you can move on to see energy fields in other ways...watch the top of a tree-covered mountain and stand out side watching the beautiful "waltz" of the massed energy fields of millions of trees all flashing their life-light together way up there, in a true orchestra of green disco color, as it moves up and down and back and forth across the mountain top. It's not hard at all, it just takes a little time and attention now and then. Best of luck in your searching journey...it's so exciting and stimulating. Vee

I don't doubt that's what you see, but some would argue you're being fooled by the power of demons.

Maybe Demons have eternal Life.....so why not us???
Anyway Demons only exist in the fantasy concepts of ignorant religious conditioning.Your pathway to freedom is the fact that you are now questioning your conditioning...One of the most beautifull sayings presumably said by Christ Jesus was .."Seek and ye shall find....ask and it will be given to you." also "knock and the door will be opened for you "
When I was young I never forgot that and as I grew older I seriously and earnestly began to ask and knock and seek...All of my seeking was after many years  rewarded.I found the answers that have given me peace ,tranquility and LOVE.
Keep knocking ,keep seeking you will be rewarded.
But be prepared to drop all of your past concepts and conditioning.
Love Devayan

Awareness is the Divine Key
oilyrag5608  
IP Logged

kirolak

What brings you here will
take you somewhere else

Reply #21 - Sep 25th, 2009 at 3:22am

Just my little snippet of advice - do read the Bhagavad Gita; & generally take in a wider form of 'religious" literature.

BTW, I had to be placed under anaesthetic once, & really looked forward to being out of body- but I (like you) experienced just the "black sleep". HOWEVER, I had been out of body many times before that occasion, & also many times after it.. . . . I think the trauma of being ill & passing out often knocks one's true self, the conscious being, "out" for a while, but one slowly comes round again, like waking from a deep sleep.

And I agree, too, that you often experience what you expect  to experience after discarnating.  (As an aside, if you think there is nothing but the "black sleep" after death, what is actually so terrifying about that?  In that world view, you won't be around to experience it, will you?)

But, as someone wisely remarked, you're as dead now as you'll ever be! Cool

IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Reply #22 - Sep 25th, 2009 at 7:20am

If I may add my two penneth regarding the demon angle...

I believe that the terms 'angel' and 'demon' are relative terms - an indication of where you are on the 'love scale'.For example at the lowest end of spiritual development fear and hatred reign with no love for any body or anything.Slightly higher up the scale a very limited love reigns - maybe for a very restricted racial or national identity but none for anyone outside those tight boundaries.Higher up again at the  mid-point most people reside (I would place myself here but i'm trying !).We have love (much of the time) for many people but to some degree it is still conditional on their behaviour and it may be withheld from say people who hurt us or others such as criminals.Skipping to the highest (God?) level - love is totally unconditional and does'nt have to be deserved at all and love is just the way it is - nothing more or less.

Now from my midpoint viewpoint a 'demon' is someone lower down the 'love scale' and an angel is someone further up.From the perspective of someone more advanced than me I am a 'demon'.

My point is this : do you want to know if someone is a 'demon' or an 'angel' test them on the love scale. If the entity tells you are worthless and undeserving or need to exact revenge from your mid-range persepective it is a 'demon' and they may not be helpful to your evolution. If on the other hand it tells you are loved, does'nt impose its will on you, suggests forgiving someone and we are all one anyway then its an 'angel' and may help you on your journey.

In other words if it moos, produces cow's milk and eats grass its probably a cow....

Dave

IP Logged

Ally

Reply #23 - Sep 27th, 2009 at 2:06am

Quote:
Ignorance leads to both - as a result of so to speak poor mental 'hygiene' - this in turn the result of wrong views that cause us to think and do what causes us suffering, to not know how to live, to not know how to handle our minds (so we gain wisdom and compassion) to reduce this suffering...

Hey, Vajra, what do you suggest is the best practical way to improve the mental 'hygiene'? Just meditate? Or do you need to do some psychological conditioning? Was just wondering. Smiley

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Sep 27th, 2009 at 8:50am

I'd say that's a reasonable take on angels and demons Heisenberg. Put in other language it seems there are two extremes of beings - those that act to manifest love (under the guidance of Spirit), and those that manifest fear and are driven by ego.

There's no in-between, in that while we may hop between states you can't manifest love while driven by fear. (and ego)

The difference though is that those manifesting love are fuelled by an inexhaustible higher energy and power, while those manifesting fear are cut off from this higher source and prey on others (and ultimately on themselves) in a misguided attempt to survive.

It seems though that viewed from the personal-human-ego perspective of self-hood that there are more powerful beings that have grown larger than the average 'me' even on the demon side, and that if we try to play them at their own game (aggression etc) that we cut off our access to love and will lose.

By mental hygiene Ally i just mean the sort of uncontrolled, illogical and almost random mental cacophony that goes on in most of our heads - e.g the way so much of our thought is reactive, so much of our logic acts to make us always 'right' regardless of the reality of a situation. ( Smiley as the young wife said: 'i married mr. right, i just didn't realise that it was all the time')

The problem with this is that it leads us into all sorts of boobs and mistakes - while all the while we are sure we are being rational and logical. In the meantime the mental noise shuts out the voice of Spirit, our higher intuition if you like - and so we are deprived of guidance/knowing. With the result that we thrash round in circles causing suffering to ourselves and others, with little or no consciousness or awareness of our actions and their effects.

The point of meditation is that that it trains and quietens the mind - i mentioned before the Buddhist teaching of the mud and silt (out of control thought) settling in the glass of water that has been stirred.

With this quieting (which is very obvious for many when they start to meditate) also comes an opening to Spirit and higher awareness, as well as a sense of well being...

With this combination of more selfless rationality and access to higher intuition (and of course other training and life experience) the mind becomes a tool that can effectively be used in life to help us to live with wisdom and compassion - so that the suffering we cause for ourself and others is minimised....

IP Logged

Terethian
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Sep 27th, 2009 at 1:44pm

The bottom line is I really need to find my own proof, something I can really believe and trust so I can live my life.... just like my dead friend supposedly said to the medium. She told me she said she wants me to live my life. I am not living. I am struggling. Please

Please guys.

I am here for help

Help me. I love you.

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Sep 27th, 2009 at 7:08pm

I hope i'm not being insensitive Terethian, and i feel for your situation, but the  bottom line seems to be that there is no absolute proof of what happens after death - basically because there's nothing available that constitutes scientific or the sort relative, physically based and external stuff most of us consider as objective 'proof'.

Even if we get what's in intellectual terms fairly convincing external feedback e.g. like when a psychic tells us stuff he/she should not know  - we end up second guessing it: 'she must be reading my mind'.

There's only one route to equanimity, joy and well being, and that's via opening to Spirit. For most of us (except a very few who have reached this point through life experience) this requires calming the mind, and again for most of us the only means to accelerate this process is via meditative technique, and the wiser and more compassionate view this and the development of a more grounded view of the nature of our reality permits.

There's no guarantee this will deliver anything anytime soon (or even for a long time), it depends on so much on stuff we don't know.

This is why i've been thumb nailing blocks of teaching i've benefited from in this and other threads. There is no solution possible to your problem in external world as we perceive it, only as a result of going inwards.

Eckhardt Tolle tells the story of the beggar who has been sitting on an old box begging in the street for years. He asks a man for a coin, but the man says he can't give him money because he has none - but says he can show him something much more valuable. He asks him to look in the box,  which turns out for all those years to have been full of gold...

Spiritual opening is a catch 22 problem. If we knew what was there to be found if we worked seriously to find a way into the box (aka a dramatically different  internal landscape) - then we'd be hugely motivated to search. But because we can't conceive the wealth of well being and joy that's available from in there we don't see the point in truly taking a look.

So we end up stuck like the beggar - fruitlessly and rather desultorily looking for solutions outside of ourselves - compulsively going through the same old failed motions in the external world, but not realising that we keep on applying the same old failed game plan. The money, the security, the car - or for those of us a bit more sophisticated the 'spiritual proof' we are seeking in the world of external experience.

A board like this where there's lots of intellectual chat can become a substitute for self work, but actually it by agitating and intensifying thinking minds can have the opposite effect in many. In a few others just the right insight can tip us over the edge into real opening.

Another very well known teaching - it's easy to end up looking at the pointing finger, and not seeing the moon. To mistake the words for the state of being they point to.

What can become available with self work and spiritual opening (again no promises, it can be a very long road - and striving after objectives is counterproductive) with the flashes of equanimity and joy i've mentioned is an increasingly deeply held and intuitive knowing that there is more - probably not even in terms you can ever express verbally or to another person. 

It's by definition subjective, not objective - and our whole approach to proof in this day and age requires that it be external and objective to be credible. While rationality and logic have their place, we 're now talking of territory (the matter of truly 'knowing') where it's an increasingly less important ingredient in the mix (with intuition), and one that becomes an impediment in itself if over relied upon.

A big part of the affair is in the end the letting go of our need for certainties - of our attempts to control existence (that's not ceasing to operate as a wise and compassionate person, only the letting go of our attachment or fear that the outcome we usually mistakenly want will not materialise) - as a result of snippets of experience moving us into a state of trusting that will be all right.

All is all right if we can just engage with and feel what the 'flow' is, and in a sense stop meddling inappropriately.

Because the task is not to do or to achieve anything, the task is to let go, to trust in Spirit, to do what comes naturally (intuitively) and let it get on with what it knows best. This can't really happen until it's become real for us - no amount of wanting can make a blind bit of positive difference. (the opposite in fact)

The phrase 'state of being' is very important - it's not at all the same thing as intellectualising about stuff, or acting out, or 'believing'. Knowing (and it's often pretty tentative) follows from experience, and not from belief.

For most of us there's no instant cure for the angst inherent in our existence in what we perceive as this self in this world. There can be no promise even that self work will produce less suffering before joy, indeed in many its effect after an initial lightening (maybe much like smoking weed) can be that with the quieting of the mind and the resulting turning down of the volume of the masking noise produced by our coping strategies (like suppression, denial, selective perception, the pursuit of power and material wealth etc - which at best only produce a temporary ersatz sort of happiness) we are with clearer seeing faced with the true painfulness of our existence.

It's not for nothing the term warriorship is often used to describe the resolve it takes to persevere with this path...

You're probably wondering T what the hell he's (i'm) on about.... Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2009 at 9:57am by N/A »  

IP Logged

heisenberg69

England
Reply #27 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 5:42am

From my perspective-

I set out about 20 years ago to find out if there was anything more than our physical bodies after being particularly upset at the death of my Grandmother.Being a 'left-brain' type I read everything I could on the subject (before the internet).I can relate to Bruce Moen in his reluctance to accept evidence as 'valid' evidence.

In my case it was just a process of slow increments of 'probably is'nt' to 'almost definitely is' where the chances of all the evidence being fabricated or misconstrued become ever more unlikely; indeed refusing to accept it eventually became highly irrational to me personally.There was'nt a single 'smoking gun' ah-ha moment rather a mounting weight of evidence (scientific and personal)tipping the balance point that the current accepted scientific paradigm is incomplete (which history should teach us anyway).

I think knowing there is more than mainstream scientists accept frees you to get more out of this life (I think the 'Afterlife' is a misnomer there is only life...)

some links for hors d'oeuvre !:

www.victorzammit.com (case for afterlife)
http://www.thescoleexperiment.com/
http://www.windbridge.org/ (builds on Gary E. Schwartz's work)
http://www.deanradin.com/ (author of excellent book The Conscious Universe)

The above is just a snapshot of the huge resources now available on the subject.

IP Logged

Vee

Port Alberni, B.C.
Reply #28 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 11:08am

I agree with you, heisenberg, there is only life. The veil between Here and There is very, very thin indeed. Vee

I LIVE IN THE MIND OF SUMMERTIME, MY INNER SKY IS BLUE AND FULL OF LIGHT.THE RICH, JUICY FRUITS OF MY LIFE ARE RIPE UPON MY INNER SUMMERTIME TREES.I AM THE MIND OF GOD.
IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 11:43am

T-

I sympathize with your fears about death.

Two suggestions:

1.  The more time you spend helping others, the less time you'll be preoccupied with thoughts of death.  The reason is (and I'm not trying to be insensitive), your obsession with death is really not the problem. 

The real problem is that you're too preoccupied with yourself.  Take the spotlight off of yourself by putting it, or at least part of it, on others.  You'd be surprised how effective it will be.

2.  Whenever you find yourself with fears about death, substitute those thoughts with a genuine thankfulness for the fact that you are alive and are blessed with the magnificent gift of consciousness. 

I realize right now you equate consciousness with fear, but having thoughts of gratitude for the fact that you are YOU, an eternal Being who is loved by God, will slowly but surely remove your fears.

Remember, thoughts are things.

R

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.