Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Psychedelics: Portals to true spiritual experience (Read 27651 times)
Volu

Right here and right there
Re: Psychedelics: Portals to true spiritual experience
Reply #45 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 10:25am

DocM,
"What cometh before a fall?  Oh yeah, that."

Summer comes before fall. Guilt overload can also precede a fall - from trusting ones own spiritual judgement - to fall back into letting the external be the guide. One may of course also be wrong, both fall and fail, but can at least be PROUD that one is becoming responsible for ones self.

Making a decision, not because it's popular, or unpopular, but because that's what you want to do. Worth noting that a decision like this doesn't involve walking over dead vessels to get what you want. One makes a dish, decides if the taste is right, refine it, or perhaps make a new one, while 10 other chefs want one to either put in or leave out ingredients, maybe saying one is proud for not falling into compliance with their demands.

Vegetarian is an old indian word for bad hunter.

IP Logged

DocM

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #46 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 10:34am

Don on this board once used the expression, found in doctrine that if one sins one should "sin but sin boldly!"  An interesting phrase, and I think I understand its meaning.  I get the meaning of going in whichever way you go with gusto, not tentatively.

One must be open to an exchange of ideas, and differences in opinion (including consequences of these differences), even if one sticks to his/her guns about his/her own personal preference.  Acknowledgements, even apologies have their place in this complex interaction on forums.

That's all I'm saying.

M

IP Logged

Volu

Reply #47 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 1:49pm

DocM,
"Acknowledgements, even apologies have their place in this complex interaction on forums."

A fair overview. Going beyond the protective barrier of ego, reviewing, if one doesn't think nor feel an apology is applicable, making an apology because of an expectation or demand is as regressive or status quo like as never ever making an apology - even if one think that's really the right move.

Well, I'm not gonna do salvia, and making no excuses about it. Anyway, here's a quick beginners guide to writing letters to congress while smoking salvia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JPfnJVEr8E

IP Logged

Terethian
Ex Member

Reply #48 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 5:48pm

I belong to many drug sites, believe it or not most drugs have an individual fan forum so to speak where people talk about it.

On the salvia forum EVERYONE agrees that salvia is a harsh mistress, we call her Sally. If you mess around with her and take her lightly, she will smack you down and put you in your place. Think about that before anyone tries salvia for the first time. Oh yeah and you are always supposed to have a sitter, though to be honest if you have a sitter your trip is going to suck. My good trips are always alone. Too hard to focus on just yourself when another person is around.

All this talk makes me want to order some salvia though I probably won't. I really really REALLY want DXM. I am addicted to it, very addicted. Sure I haven't had it in a long while now but I want it and crave that state of mind. I drink alcohol as a filler / replacement for it but it's not the same. I have special rules on DXM, like NO alcohol consumed, even small amounts within 7 days and no caffeine either. I can't go that long without alcohol or caffeine lol. Plus it does seem very risky to do it... alcohol is much more widely accepted and that makes it okay!

.....right?  Grin  Cheesy  Grin  Cheesy

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #49 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 6:44pm

Terethian

How many times have you smoked Salvia?  I was hoping maybe you could post some of your more memorable experiences with it.

By the way, I figure that what you say about Salvia is probably based on your personal experience, such as "good trips are always alone", and "smoking Salvia with a sitter sucks."  However, the way you word it makes it seem like these are definite facts which apply to everyone, when in reality this is not the case.  Having a sitter is one of the precautions which I recommend.  I have had a sitter every time I've used Salvia, and each experience was amazing.  I'm not going to say that smoking Salvia with a sitter will produce an amazing trip, however, for there are many other factors involved which influence the experience.

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

IP Logged

Ralph Buskey

Brick Township, NJ
Reply #50 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 10:35pm

The path is shown to those who know how to follow it.

Avoiding the path doesn't make the path go away.

You choose your own path in life.

Ralph

Ralph Buskey Ralph Buskey  
IP Logged

DocM

Reply #51 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 10:38pm

Kathy's early responses in this thread are full of wisdom.  It is not that hallucinogens are not possible tools on a spiritual quest.  The issue is; what have they taught you, with respect to expressing love?  Many many sources speak of true spiritual growth manifest as expressing more love; love of other people (one's neighbor) and love of God. 

If the hallucinogen shows you that you are more than your physical body - ok - that is a step we all should aspire toward.  If it allows you to have an OOB experience, again, that's a nice beginning, but has nothing to do with love.  The seemingly mundane salvia-free world is full of valid human interactions that directly place us on a road toward an enhanced love, and therefore - spirituality. 

There is a certain self-centeredness in exploring psycho-active substances, that doesn't usually connect with love in more than a nonspecific  way.  A merging with objects and the universe is definitely meaningful.  But love needs to be expressed and manifest with intent and purpose in order to truly be realized.

Can directed psychedelics work with meditation, and common directed thought, toward a more enlightened spiritual end?  My answer is a qualified "yes," but..........

if a hallucinogen disorients us so as to be unable to apply intent in our ends and expressing more love in the process, then it is of passing interest.  The youtube videos of Salvia trips show within seconds to 2 minutes, a complete disorientation when large concentrations of Salvia are smoked and inhaled.  Most posters of these videos are unable to speak, hold a conversation or think in any rational way during those few minutes.  The visions they may have could have value in showing themselves and others that we are more than our physical bodies but there is a bigger factor - love. 

Kathy's point about person to person interactions and, at a more fundamental level, love, are something to really consider when evaluating these "tools" of perception.

Matthew
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2009 at 11:47pm by DocM »  

IP Logged

Terethian
Ex Member

Reply #52 - Sep 25th, 2009 at 11:23am

Dude, I smoked salvia about seven times. I made a mistake I recently met one person that does like salvia through a friend. But at least five people I introduced it to dislike it and one of them is terrified because he had a really bad trip.

I could post trip reports but it's mainly inanimate things talking to me telling me I am under they're control and must do as they say. Pretty much just useless hallucinations. Some of them are pretty funny though like my wifes littlest pet shop toy collection, all talking to me.... in unison. It was like 30 high pitched voices all speaking together as a collective to me. Great times.... great times.

It's just a trip on salvorin a for me, a reaction within the brain. Not a mind opening / expanding experience. /shrug.

Oh and of course always have a sitter. It's unsafe not to have a sitter to keep you safe.

I choose not to have one, personal preference, other people bother me, I am too self conscious. Can't escape with other people to worry about.

IP Logged

spooky2

Reply #53 - Sep 25th, 2009 at 11:54pm

Yes Matthew, you certainly drew a line. But this is dependant on what worth we attribute to the common expressions of physical life. It's quite clear, those (salvia-youtube) people phase out and cannot connect with "sober" people in the usual way anymore. And that's the point: Maybe they don't care. And maybe that's allright.

To express PUL is a difficult thing. I once, after a meditation (no drugs), was so full of it, and could sort of radiate it, but I guess from the other's perspective I appeared as a freak. Maybe a somewhat glowing, comforting freak, but still a freak. And this social status is quite similar to a druggie on the love trip.

Sometimes I think for expressing and receiving PUL a psychedelic drug state is far more capable than our common sober state. I wish it was different, but I just see what is.

Spooky

"I'm going where the pavement turns to sand"&&Neil Young, "Thrasher"

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #54 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 9:02am

Interesting point Spooks,

I have no doubt that one may experience love, sensations, etc. while on Salvia.  However, PUL, from my experience is an active emotion that usually is also directed and expressed toward another.  Service to others, charity, kindness - in short, love directs our actions.  The idea that we radiate the emotion, without acting on it, misses the heart of what PUL is all about.  It is, at least for a brief time, self-indulgence.

So, while I don't disagree about the undeniable fact that Salvia shows you another reality (again teaches some that we are more than our physical bodies), unless it is more than a personal mental masturbation, it may not be teaching us about expressing love.  Love to others, and love of God. 

I'll qualify it in this way; occasionally, in these experiences we feel a unity with things (plants, rocks, etc.).  If, in some way, that experience can then let us act more lovingly to others, when the trip is over, then the net sum of the experience may lead to more love.

I'm sure however, in my gut, that there is more to learn about PUL in our interactions in the physical world, and that is why we are here.

Matthew

IP Logged

tgecks

Dahlonega, Georgia
Reply #55 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 11:04am

This is what happens when people with experience riding ponies at birthday parties get on a racehorse.

Without the inner work, it won't matter what you take. If the train does not stop for you, it is not your train.

I could not agree more:
Kathy's early responses in this thread are full of wisdom.  It is not that hallucinogens are not possible tools on a spiritual quest.  The issue is; what have they taught you, with respect to expressing love?

Past all the "Wow, man" stuff, what has it REALLY taught you about LOVE?

Thomas

IP Logged

Volu

Reply #56 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 12:19pm

DocM,
"However, PUL, from my experience is an active emotion that usually is also directed and expressed toward another.  Service to others, charity, kindness - in short, love directs our actions. The idea that we radiate the emotion, without acting on it, misses the heart of what PUL is all about. It is, at least for a brief time, self-indulgence."

I thoroughly enjoy affection, connection, kindness, interpersonal warmth, happiness, laughter, hugs, fun, smiles and good times. The most difficult to explain has been internal, something which reminds me of the aforementioned, but is much, much stronger, yet so gentle and pure; I have no word(s) for it. My red flags rise when it's made into an obligation/expectancy/demand - love 'n light fascism. One must love, if not felt, fake it. Self-indulgence and stroking the praying monkey also applies when working out a sweat cos it feels good to help out, hard to say no, it's expected and the pat on the back feels good too. Being revered, an icon for the helped, getting the 'good' label branded on ones rump, telling stories how one helped someone to make oneself look good, but no really, it's all, unconditionally, about them. Service to others compared to warm baked, butter steamed goat cheese? The cheese doesn't beg or give orders to be eaten. Smells better too, for me. Bon appetite either way; service to others, goat cheese, salvia or something else.

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #57 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 1:33pm

Volu

It's funny.. this morning I was thinking the very same thing.

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #58 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 4:16pm

Volu,

If you read my posts carefully you'll see that I never connected following the path of love (PUL) exclusively with obligatory service to others.  I don't begrudge you your cheese, nor would I begrudge myself chocolate ice cream, or anyone's self indulgence.  But if you look at what many different cultures say about love, and spirituality, the issue of an "active" love does come up.  Action is almost always the result of thought.

Any volunteer work that I do, or any inclination I have to help others is personal - I do not write about it on the board, nor seek fame or notoriety.  My true contention is that as we move toward love, our own personal desire for service to others increases unbidden.  Obligatory service to me, or service to get your name spoken of (or a plaque, etc.) is odious to me, and completely fake.

On the other hand, we are our thoughts, and our actions flow from thought.  When does an astral explorer seek to continue exploring a mental plane, or stop out and help another who seems lost? 

When does our conscious intention open up to service to others, and how do we integrate this into a personal spiritual search?

Matthew

IP Logged

Terethian
Ex Member

Reply #59 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 4:51pm

One interesting thing which I find is that salvia reminds me of something. Even the first time I did it, I can recall the strange and weird sensations in my mind as being oddly familiar, like this is something special, something more inside of me which I was returning to. A different way of thought or more connected with certain thoughts. It's hard to explain. You wouldn't think a person could receive a familiar feeling from something they have never done before!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.