Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Be careful how you live your live (Read 9015 times)
Alan McDougall

South Africa
Be careful how you live your live
Sep 11th, 2009 at 12:19pm

http://www.victorzammit.com/week8/

COMMENTARY: BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WHAT YOU DO ON EARTH!

Francesco Coll then based in Washington D.C. of The Inner Peace Movement (IPM) in 1990 taught me a great deal about the paranormal. What he taught me was enough to convince me absolutely that the afterlife exists. The people at IPM were the ones who started me on a path of development that led me to become ‘clairaudient.’ Since that time I’ve had many contacts from the afterlife dimension, including my parents and others. Usually they come through either to express love, thanks or ask for forgiveness. These contacts are always spontaneous, unsought and always personal- I am not able to do this for others. It's as if I have been given just enough to know that it is real.

Recently a person I had known well came through from the afterlife seeking forgiveness. He confessed that while alive he had tried to do harm to me, motivated by professional jealousy. While alive he had status and position and had lived a life of luxury in an upper middle class area, driving a high status car. I was able to forgive him, as I can forgive anyone, no matter what they did, because I am fully aware that the Law of Cause and Effect will make them pay a price for their actions. But among other things, I asked him to describe the environment where he is now in the afterlife. He said:
“I live in a horrible slum, a squalid dark area … dirty buildings, dirty everything.” This is consistent with the transmissions of former Catholic Monsignor, Hugh Benson, through the medium Anthony Borgia. He claimed that those who were selfish – never did anything for anyone - will be living in a dark slum and squalid area in the afterlife even if they never did harm to anyone. We here on Earth have been warned!

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

recoverer

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Re: Be careful how you live your live
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 12:41pm

Hello Alan:

I was searching for an article at the www.near-death.com site, and found that your NDE is there.

http://www.near-death.com/forum/coma/000/01.html

I was looking for the below article. I have the book. It has more extensive information than the attached article. Generally I'm not into channeled information, but I like Margaret Tweddell's book. Don might find it interesting, eventhough he's not into channeled information. A spirit didn't speak through Margaret's body. Just sent messages.

http://www.near-death.com/experiences/paranormal08.html

The reason I refer to this article, is because it says something similar to what you said. See the below.

"There is no sudden metamorphosis from an idle person into an active person, from a nonreligious person into a religious person, from a money-centered person into a God-centered person. This is not an automatic thing. Your personality -  your likes and dislikes, your hopes, your fears - are still attached to you, although in a more nebulous form than when you are on Earth in a physical body.

I see people come over. They arrive and have high hopes that everything is going to be different for them.  However, nothing can be different for them because they have brought with them what they are. There is so much harmony here, and if they have brought a disharmonious personality with them, they find it very difficult to link in with the harmonious existence that we have. This is something that grieves me when I see it.

It is not true, as some people think, that if we only give verbal assent to belief in God, well, that's fine - that is our passport to heaven and everything will be all right. What we have to remember is that Jesus showed us the path by which it will be all right. He doesn't say, "It's all right, brother, come along in. Sit down now and relax and do nothing." He says, "It's all right. You are on my way. There are a lot of stones in it, but you are on my way. If you ask me, I'll help you over the stones."  The old teachings that "as you strive, so you'll be helped" are right. The Lord helps those who help themselves.

If you truly try to follow the laws of the Kingdom which the Lord has revealed, and ask for his help, he will aid you in becoming a whole person. As I see it from here, there is a rod of light - a pulsating power, the vital force of the Holy Spirit - right down through you. It is the self-centeredness of the personality which erects blocks and disturbances which make it impossible for the Holy Spirit to function through you. If you ask for help from the great physician, the Lord Jesus, he will help you to unlock the inner, healing power of the Holy Spirit which is within you so that it can be diffused and can spread throughout your being. The Lord will help you to achieve the attunement, the shalom, the peace, the wholeness which is heaven."

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 12:57pm

I suspect the issue in the afterlife is that we end up where deep down we feel we deserve to be.

It becomes even more likely than in life because if Buddhist teaching is correct (and it's pretty reliable in my experience) the ego is in the afterlife/bardos separated from the higher self so that we get a view of what we truly have been (and mistakenly think we are) stripped of all the self delusion we usually cover it up with.

The resulting guilt, and very likely resulting fear (Buddhist tradition talks of the negative aspects of our mind later manifesting from this separated ego and our perceiving it as demons or hostile entities) lead to our creating a 'reality' that reflects what we feel we deserve. (easily done in that much more plastic reality)

It eventually may lead to our being driven into an unfortunate rebirth in our frantic attempts to escape from what we fear....

This is karma in action in the afterlife: IF we have with the help of Grace/higher mind developed sufficient equanimity in life through meditation,  spiritual work and plain old life experience it's possible we may be able to muster enough detachment to avoid identifying with these horrors - and thus avoid being driven into a nasty rebirth.

On the other hand a person that has spent their life indulging their ego passions inevitably identifies with what they perceive, does not have the higher knowing to see that it's unreal, and does not have the equanimity to avoid getting sucked in.

Likewise a person with a mind where much of the ego has been dissipated will create much less by way of these sorts of fear inspiring manifestations.

If we can (as ACIM) terms it truly forgive ourself - cease to believe that we are guilty, know that we are 100% loved by God - then we can choose to take anything that manifests as being unreal, and can respond to it with love  - with the result that it can gain no traction and will with perceived time fade away...

IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 1:00pm

This is all very interesting but I'm not sure it clarifies things for me.

If you create your own reality, then manifesting a life of luxury in C1 must reflect that you believe you deserve it. To go on to live in a slum after you die seems a little strange.

On the other hand, if somehow you are manifesting luxury because you are afraid you DON'T deserve it in C1 and you are trying to prove to yourself that you do, then maybe it makes sense if you end up in a slum on the other side.

It seems to me that there is some more subtle lesson about how conciousness works hidden in these stories.

(Alan, your moral does remind me of something I once read; that the Golden Rule uses the verb "do" in the active sense, where other statements of that rule are passive and involve avoiding harming someone else; and though Christians who take the "do" part a little too literally can be rather obnoxious and harm their own cause, or even harm others, being active about doing good might be ...significant. Especially when you recall we are all supposed to be interconnected).

IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 1:07pm

Vajra you were posting while I was and I missed your comment. Interesting indeed. I certainly find the path of your last paragraph to be challenging. Some "if's" are bigger than others.

Of course we all want to be able to detach when we are in pain. I suppose being able to detach when in luxury is also a big challenge. Wonder if that is why Don Juan had to show up dressed in a fancy suit in one of Castaneda's books; maybe he was practicing detahment.

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 1:22pm

It's just one view Lucy. But if you go with it as a model then a lot depends on what stage of the afterlife is involved.

It's taught that shortly after life we create from much the same urges as we did in life. If we liked fishing, we might create a fishing hut, and so on. If we wanted a hareem we might create one full of houris, or make ourselves very rich, or whatever. Or we might set ourself up as a robber baron in a dog eat dog reality.

It's only subsequently when (i think the way its described says) the winds of karma start to blow and dissolution starts that the ego splits away from the composite (of higher and lower/misled selves and spirit) we think of ourselves more truly.

When that happens, and we're genuinely faced with both what we are and have been, and the guilt kicks in it makes sense that we might be inclined to create very differently - to feel that we only deserve pretty rough circumstances.

It seems like it may be a lot to do with stage - some  it seems are for example so fearful and so attached to earth life that it can take a very long time for them to move on even to the free creation stage.

The million dollar question for me regarding the afterlife travel reported here, and by the likes of Robert Monroe is that of whether or not it's possible to get past a certain point in the bardos, or to access realities created by minds very different to ourselves. e.g. if you believe firmly in benign realities then that's what you create, but what if vice versa is true.....
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2009 at 5:40pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 1:31pm

Alan et al-

Yes, we create our own reality, not by what we "want" or believe, but by what we are and what we do.

Just because a terrorist wants to be serviced by 72 virgins, or believes that will happen when he dies, that doesn't mean it will take place.

Instead, just like Max in one of Bruce's books, he will find himself in a place populated by other souls who think the same way he does.  He'll look in vain for those 72 hotties.

So creating your own reality doesn't mean we will get what we want, it means our afterlife reality will be consistent with what our true essence really is.

And yes Lucy, you are 100% correct when pointing out the important of doing.  Not in the sense of promoting a particular religious dogma, but by doing what is right and what flows from a righteous heart.

In other words, a person who thinks he/she will be rewarded by going to church each Sunday is missing the point unless he/she also has a heartfelt love of the Lord.  That's far more important than adhering to the dogma of a particular religion.

Similarly, a person who gives to the poor but who does so in hope of having a good afterlife existence without any real concern/love for others will probably be disappointed.

The description Alan's friend gave of the squalid slum in which he found himself is exactly the same as what Swedenborg found when he explored the afterlife.

The real point of our lives is to be aware that we are all in a constant, daily struggle to do the right things and most importantly in building and sustaining a good inner character.

Do those and you'll be fine.

R

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #7 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 2:39pm

I basically believe that if we didn't live our life in this World in a positive way, we'll end up in a realm that matches our overall state of mind, and stay in such a realm until we decide to change our way.

Changing our way might take some work, and will require us to be honest about how we affected others.

IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 3:30pm

Albert-

Yes, I think you are correct.  Changing our ways is important, as long as we recognize that it's not just what we do that counts.

It's like an unruly kid who finally agrees to do his chores after constant cajoling by his parents.  If he carries out those chores full of resentment, and doesn't change his basic mindset, it's not all that helpful.

Character counts.

R

IP Logged

Berserk2

Reply #9 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 4:36pm

A lot of harm is created by overly simplistic interpretations of the afterlife attraction principle, like attracts like.  One must ask about the precise nature of the attracting energies.  In my view, the Monroe-Moen concept of BSTs has some merit, but is misleading.  More basic is the purity of one's core desires; but these desires are an amalgam of both conscious and unconscious longings.  For many, these unconscious longings mask well-defended selfish agendas and attitudes of which we are unaware.  For example, some form of confession of sins is essential to spiritual progress, but many Christians in effect plea-bargain with God; that is, they confess "respectable sins" like pride and self-absorption to avoid focusing on shortcomings and weaknesses that create their UNIQUE barriers to spiritual progress.  In short, inadequate self-knowledge is a major obstacle to a more advanced postmortem fate.  For this reason, the right kind of meditation is crucial to spiritual advancement.  Meditation must include a willingness to hear the inner truth about subtle attitudes that permanently negate progress towards pure unconditional love (PUL).  PUL is more than a virtue occasionally displayed; it is a core desire that becomes the essence of one's personality.  One should meditate on possible reasons why Swedenborg found several self-deluded bishops trapped in hellish planes and on the relevance of this tragedy for other naive seekers!

Jesus' restatement of the like attracts like principle is very important: "You will be judged by the same judgments you pronounce, and the measure [= standards] you dish out will determine the measure that is dished out to you (Matthew 7:2)."  My core desires create the lens through which I view others.  To the degree that my core desires are self-serving, I make unconscious judgments about who supports and retards my goals and agendas.  In the afterlife, this pattern of judgments will attract other spirits to my plane who display a similar pattern.  Also, the various ways I unconsciously measure the worth, beauty, and usefulness of others will attract to my plane others who measure me in the same ways.  Personal beliefs are merely one piece of the puzzle of our postmorten fate. 

This brings me to the heart of the Christian Gospel.   The true Christian views herself as the unworthy recipient of Christ's limitless grace and relates to others out of a sense of privilege rather than mechanical duty.  The resulting pure unconditional love and acceptance creates a high vibration harmony which produces the true  heavens.  It is not so much the identity of Jesus as the essence of His unique PUL vibration that makes Him a Savior.  Put differently, it is not moral rules, but the underlying laws of consciousness from which they are inferred that are decisive to spiritual progress.   This is true because these laws of consciousness create potential for life at an optimal quality of high vibration and harmony.

Don   

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 5:26pm

That's a nice thread, and nice too to see so much broad concensus expressed in differing language.

It's worth echoing what you said Rondele and Don about the difference between thinking an being. It's the 'being' that matters. Some use the term 'beliefs' to say the same thing - meaning in that case very deeply held behaviour determining orientations not necessarily expressed or known rather than superficial thoughts.

For sure as you say Lucy it's very challenging territory. We're so instinctively inclined and culturally conditioned to believe that it's what we think and decide that matters, when the reality of what we are is normally very different. It sets up what is the whole point of the spiritual task, and of meditation - that of becoming something quite different. When you don't even know what this is, when it's simply not possible to address this task intellectually. Properly done Spiritual work just creates conditions where Spirit, Higher mind, true nature of mind or whatever can get through to us past the clamour of thinking mind and be heard - the rest is down to Grace/Spirit and the Christ energy working through us. The change happens mostly unconsciously.

Your point about Christ identity versus the energy he represented is a very nice case in point Don - you could say that his role was to ground the pure love based energy or vibration in the world, to show there is no other truth, and to illustrate an embodiment of what we all eventually will become. He was a specific physical individual, but that's not the point......

IP Logged

Volu

Right here and right there
Reply #11 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 5:39pm

Alan McDougall,
"We here on Earth have been warned!"

The writer talks about professional jealousy, then goes on to describe his own jealousy. A fair warning to him is that the spirit could care less about a fancy car, though the body does. Another fair warning is that some spirits carry body concepts such as living in dirty houses with them to the astral. If he had been help-pul he could have described the different areas of the astral to him, like focus 27. Sometimes spirits are in the lower regions because they dont't know about other areas.

To forgive someone because they will pay a price for their actions shows he's selfish and not as holy as he perhaps would like to be. It'd be ironic if he ended up renting a room in the dirty, dark and squalid area.

Vegetarian is an old indian word for bad hunter.

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 5:53pm

Pardon my coming in again Volu and Alan. Forgiveness is funny business.

One way of looking at it is that when you forgive in the normal or traditional sense you actually make the original transgression real in the mind of yourself, and of the other person. With the result that you have created something in both of you which now has to be released.

Yet most of us have been taught to approach it in these terms.

A higher view might be to recognise that since nothing ego made is real or can damage us (in the absolute sense), that true forgiveness is more about recognising that whatever wrong it was simply never happened, that as a result the issues of guilt or blame don't arise, and that consequently the apparent offender is innocent...

Most of us struggle to forgive - because having been led by ego to identify with the physical body and this reality we just cannot raise our view enough to see this truth.

We instead out of an ego inspired fear of damage to the body and our situation in the world (which are as unreal as the perceived wrong - but ego causes us to identify with them) believe that a wrong actually occurred.

Yet in truth (from the non dual perspective of Spirit) 'it never happened'....

IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 6:57pm

Don-

Beautifully put.

One of my major questions about what Swedenborg said relates to the importance of our inner, core makeup.  Specifically, it is not clear whether this core character is a condition of birth or whether it can be changed via our own efforts.  ES did make it clear that it cannot be changed once we enter the afterlife.

Here is a pertinent quote:

"Everything about us comes from the primary tendency of our life......If we are good we make our heaven according to it, and if we are bad we make our hell according to it.  It is our basic motivation, our personality, and our character, since it is the reality of our life.  It cannot be changed after death because it is our essential self." 
From Heavenly Doctrine S57

If it's our "primary tendency", how do we change it?  You recommended meditation to gain self-knowledge.

My question would be, once we gain that knowledge, and once we recognize our unconscious inner longings, how do we go about changing them? 

Btw, it's no mystery re. the bishops ES wrote about.  They were hypocrites.  They preached one way of life and behavior, but didn't live their own lives accordingly.

R

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #14 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 7:38pm

I don't agree with Swedenborg's premise that our basic nature can't be changed once we join the afterlife.

If the influences in this World are set up so that many souls afterwards end up in a lower realm for all of eternity, why in the World would souls take the chance of incarnating into lives that have negative influences?

Knowing about the value of living according to love isn't an automatic thing while we are here in this World.  My strong belief and feeling is that if a person/soul knew what it meant to live according to love, there is no way he or she would choose darkness over light. To say that they would do such a thing, is to say that darkness actually has more to offer than the light, because why would a person choose the darkness if he or she truly knew better?

I believe that we have freewill, but related to what I said above, we have to learn to make use of our free will.

When a soul gets to the point where it truly lives according to love, there is no way it will be able to feel completely content in a heavenly realm, if it understood that other souls abide in a lower realm. You might as well ask a mother to forget about a lost child. The father in Jesus' prodigal son story certainly didn't forget about his child.

There are sources of information that do not support Swedenborg's claim. Going by my experiences and the messages I received, many souls find their way out of a lower realm.

This World is filled with negative influences. To suggest that a person can't be influenced by them, is the same as suggesting that a person can't be affected by positive influences. If positive influences have no affect, why would people bother with trying to influence other people in a positive way?

A child: "Daddy, don't tell me the moral of the story--it isn't possible to influence me one way or the other. I am as I am, because this is how I was created, and there is nothing that can be done about it."

or,

A child: "Thank you for teaching me Dad."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.