Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A question regarding meditating (Read 2982 times)
Paul H

A question regarding meditating
Sep 11th, 2009 at 4:59am

Hi all,

I am just starting to learn how to meditate, and I am using breathing techniques which I found within a Buddhism book which a friend had lent me.

After a few attempts, I think that I may have cracked it, however as nobody else can experience what I am experiencing, I can not validate it.

I felt that my whole body was asleep but my mind was conscious. The strange thing that happened to me though is that I could see very clearly through my right eye despite my eyes being shut. I could see the bridge of my nose; my arm and the window in front of me as I would if I was fully awake. This only happened for a few seconds because I snapped out of the meditation state, and became physically conscious again. I opened my eyes, and I was fully aware of all of my actions.

The other thing that I found interesting too, is that I could not hear any outside noise but I could hear a sound within me - a kind of high pitched sound which seemed continuous.

My question is - Is it possible to be able to see as it would be to see when physically awake, and was I actually meditating or is it something entirely different?

This is very strange, but very exiting.

I just need to make sure that my mind is not playing tricks with me and it is not all in my imagination… I hope not

I can not wait to try again

Love and best wishes to you all
Paul

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Re: A question regarding meditating
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 10:15am

Hi Paul. I'm speaking from a Buddhist perspective.

It's 100% possible to experience what you did, although it would be less usual for a beginner, and perhaps more to the point the pursuit of such experience is not the point of meditation.

You popped out of the space almost immediately, the Buddhist take on that would be that your thinking or ego mind was attracted by the experience, 'woke up' so to speak (having up to that been lulled by the act of meditation into a taking its eye off the ball) and in doing so again took over your awareness.

You may find that if you seek to replicate the experience that it won't happen again so easily - the act of 'trying' to do so is likely to have the above blocking effect.

The aim of meditation is to train the higher 'watching' part of mind in equanimity - so that it rests easily, simply observes and is not sucked into identification with external (normal life) or internal (thinking mind) experience of this sort. No matter how spectacular, frightening or attractive it may seem to the thinking mind. (in Buddhism no distinction is made between internal and external relative experience - both are part of samara or the ego created reality we are conditioned to selectively perceive)

The development of this ability is for most of us a long drawn out job of work, with lots of forward, back and round about. Not to mention that becoming objective driven impedes progress, it's best simply to get a practice routine going and to stick with it in the same unthinking way as you (presumably Smiley) brush your teeth every morning.

If it happens it happens, but it's in a sense a self limiting matter. Those that have not cultivated or who lose the required equanimity inevitably find themselves unable to shift our attention from the 'TV programme' being played to us by the thinking mind.

Behind this is the view that ego is the result of our mistakenly deciding that we are a physical thinking individual struggling to survive in this reality. We mistakenly identify with the physical vehicle as 'me', when in reality it's more like a remote exploration robot we happened to be able to look out of from the perspective of higher mind. Like a computer game player mistakenly becoming 100% identified with his avatar in the game - and so conditioned that he/she becomes highly addicted to this and can't recover a reality based 'view'.

Many find that if they experience stuff at all, that it comes and goes depending on their state of mind. For example - a retreat is sometimes conducive to entering higher mind states in that by the end of a week's meditation the thinking mind really does start to quieten. (that's what a retreat is for)

This actually is the nature of the trap that is samsara or this lower reality - the harder we struggle to escape, the less able we are to do so.

One way it's taught is to say that when meditating the intentional/thinking bit of the mind should stay lightly focused on the act of breathing, but will in the case of most of us get sucked into identification with thought. e.g. start to think about what's for lunch, what he did last night, whatever.

The 'watcher' bit of mind (my words) observes what's playing on the internal TV (the above thoughts or whatever), and if the above happens gently allows us to realise what has happened, just drop the line of thought and bring the intentional/thinking/ego mind back to lightly watching the breath.

Almost all of us are easily distracted, and can be gone for minutes or much longer - lost in what is often intense and obsessive thought.

It's important not to get frustrated by this, to simply bring the awareness back to the breath - or whatever is being used as a cue to keep the ego mind distracted. This is the function of a mantra or chant, and visual cues like a dot marked on the wall or a flower can also be used or indeed both visual and other cues together.

Breathing tends to be central, in that long slow breaths have a definitely calming effect on the mind....

IP Logged

Volu

Right here and right there
Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 10:23am

Paul H,
"My question is - Is it possible to be able to see as it would be to see when physically awake, and was I actually meditating or is it something entirely different?"

It sounds as if you relaxed the body to the point of sleeping, while your spirit/consciousness/mind, or how you see it, was not. My experience is that this is very real. My first experience out of body, I listened to some relaxing music before falling asleep. Woke up later that night, feeling very, very good, yet weird. I could hear the heartbeat slowing down, and got a little bit worried. Wondered what was happening, so my reaction was to open the eyes, yet I looked down at the body, yet I knew the eyes were supposed to look up towards the ceiling. Looking back, this was my first step towards knowing I am more than a body, which I consider to be important knowledge. Smiley

"This is very strange, but very exiting."

Very cool, and though I don't feel like making more comments about this, if you're excited, my advice it to keep at it. My first out of body glimpse paved way for experiences, expanded possibilities and knowledge I today wouldn't want to be without.

Vegetarian is an old indian word for bad hunter.

IP Logged

recoverer

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 12:52pm

Meditation can help you tune into your inner spirit self, but the main thing that's going to work is to get rid of the thought patterns that limit you. If you do this, your meditation will become more spontaneous, without having to focus your attention in a particular way or to regulate your breath in a particular way.

I found it helpful to make a list of the issues that troubled me during my life: anger related issues, guilts, fears, doubts, and limiting beliefs; and then let go of these beliefs as best as I could.

I've found that it isn't an all or nothing affair. The more you let go, the better you'll do.

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2009 at 2:42pm

Paul

I have experienced the same phenomena during deep meditations, so no need to worry- what you experienced is real.  They are all products of the mind awake/body asleep state.  Good job man, beginners usually aren't able to enter such deep states right away.  Keep it up!

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

IP Logged

goobygirl

USA
Reply #5 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 1:57am

The high pitch whine can be the "music of the spheres" or basically the sound of creation.  Look up "music of the spheres," "shabd," or "naam."

Goobygirl

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 6:43pm

I'm just a cynic   Smiley, but from personal experience it could also be tinnitus....

IP Logged

spooky2

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #7 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 10:55pm

I, too, once looked through my closed eyelids. Everything looked like I had actually used my physical eyes. One time, for just a second, it became absolutely quiet, no sound at all. I have tinnitus since my childhood, sounds like many very high pitched violins; meanwhile I sometimes hear bass tones; it increased over the last years, I don't know if it could have something to do with meditation and the use of Hemi-Sync.

Spooky

"I'm going where the pavement turns to sand"&&Neil Young, "Thrasher"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.