Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"The Journey of Robert Monroe" by R Russell (Read 2188 times)
betson

Afterlife Knowledge Member

SE USA
"The Journey of Robert Monroe" by R Russell
Aug 30th, 2009 at 9:58am

Greetings,

Have any of you read the biography of Robert Monroe, published by Hampton Roads? If so, what do you think of it?

The author Ronald Russell has been involved with Monroe's writing through several other books as well. This one helped me to get an overview of Monroe's basic ideas into a chronological order.
Reading it made me want to know more so I got copies of Monroe's books. They're on a shelf I call my ''not a borrower or lender be,''
my really special stuff Smiley

One of the ideas that Russell brought out was that Monroe didn't expect people to have similiar experiences while exploring, only that whatever they experienced would be very significant personally.  To me this is quite different than the PEs or group retrievals we have done based on Bruce's work. Why would there be this difference?

Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

Beau

Greenville SC
Re: "The Journey of Robert Monroe" by R Russell
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2009 at 10:34am

Hi Bets,

I think Tom Campbell in his My Big TOE trilogy explains the reason the subjective experience can be shared but still only proven to the participants. His "Psi Uncertainty Principle" goes a long way in explaining why it has to be this way and why the subjective can be shared but never quite the same...almost, but not quite. He talks about Monroe a great deal in his first book particularly.

All the world's a stage...whose stage?--that is the question!...or is it the answer...Who is on first.
IP Logged

tgecks

Dahlonega, Georgia
Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2009 at 12:41pm

I have read it and was somewhat surprised to find Bob was just a regular guy like the rest of us. He was quirky and a bit paranoid, and Laurie used to say he was bullied as he got older. I loved the overview and the frank portrayal, the same Bob that Penny described (and he was her step-father).

I love that you mentioned Tom Campbell here and his MY BIG TOE books. He was one of the original explorers, back when Rosie MacKnight was as well, and his book is wonderful and free from the thought prisons of TMI. What is out there is what you expect, but it is different for everyone, I agree. Similar, but not identical; my experience as well.

Great book, worth the read, and a step beyond Bob's own insights.

Thomas

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2009 at 6:20pm

I'd suspect too as Thomas says that what is experienced is a reflection of your own belief system, language, symbols and other means of communication.

My guess is that stuff like the physical appearance of the focus levels and so on can be shared essentially because there's a community of people (e.g. as on this forum) who have read the Monroe books and shared their experiences - whether at this physical level, or at unconscious levels of collective mind.

It can't be by accident that other well established traditions tend to experience estoteric realities specific to their own traditions - for example Buddhdism (in its popular forms, and when teaching at the more basic levels) visualises and anthropmorphises positive and negative beliefs, and indeed higher aspects of mind as Gods (stuff to which we experience attachment) and demons (stuff to which we experience aversion) of various sorts - and that's what people immersed in that tradition tend to experience.

It's a really fundamental issue as i've posted about before in that unless we've managed to transcend ego not only does mind communicate in terms we are familiar with (we wouldn't otherwise understand), we also tend to interpret/perceive what we experience to reinforce our beliefs.

i.e. we find what are very often erroneous beliefs being reinforced because we selectively perceive our experience to reinforce our beliefs.

Which is why this area of experience is so tricky, and so potentially misleading - and why spiritual opening and true seeing result not from ever more intellectually based conceptualisation, but from dropping all of our belief in our ability to see 'truth', and hence to pro-actively act to control and determine an optimum path for our lives.

Its instead taught we should leave it to Spirit, Grace or whatever to tee up the required life experience, insight and intuition.

If we can't do this we end up manifesting what we believe (think we want, what we fear, whatever) anyway - the trouble then though is that it's not what we actually need for us to grow.

That's not to say we should switch off, it actually takes enormous openness, bravery and faith to open in this way and stop fighting what we fear, and chasing that which we think we desire - but the point is that our part of the bargain is to cultivate an appropriate faith, trust and receptivity, as well as the insight required to (even if only retrospectively) see the good as well as the tough bits of this path...

Tongue Pardon my using this topic to illustrate a point i've been on about for a while, but i get nervous at the idea that the afterlife is some sort of definitive alternative reality to be explored as an end in itself - our conditioning leaves us very inclined to head down this road...

IP Logged

Vee

Port Alberni, B.C.
Reply #4 - Aug 30th, 2009 at 6:53pm

With regard to Russel's book, I wanted to mention that I had read it before attending Gateway, and while there we met two or three of Bob Monroe's relatives. While chatting with her I remembered something from the book about her and someone else in the family, and she was dismayed and angry that I knew that stuff...she demanded to know how I knew it? I told her it was in a book about TMI, I was so surprised I couldn't think which book it was, but then later I remembered it was Russel's biography. It made me think...when we are little and people write about us and then we grow up and find people who are strangers know things about us, kind of private things really, that we thought were private, it must be a bit of a shock. Anyway, just thought I would mention that. I would be more sensitive if I were at TMI again and met any of the family mentioned in any of the books. Doesn't really pertain to the topic of this thread though! Sorry.  Vee

I LIVE IN THE MIND OF SUMMERTIME, MY INNER SKY IS BLUE AND FULL OF LIGHT.THE RICH, JUICY FRUITS OF MY LIFE ARE RIPE UPON MY INNER SUMMERTIME TREES.I AM THE MIND OF GOD.
IP Logged

spooky2

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #5 - Aug 30th, 2009 at 10:35pm

It's a good book, I couldn't put it aside until I finished it. Some amusing and astonishing details. (And on the cover the best photography of RAM I've ever seen)

I share Vajra's and Thomas' thoughts about Bets' question, but like to note Monroe's own experiences of course couldn't have stemmed from TMI "tradition", as he started it, and this OBE thing happened unexpectedly to him. As a whole, many details of what he reported isn't part of any tradition or common belief system I heard of, and that's what I found such credible when I read his books; it surely was something different than the esoteric stuff influenced mostly by Theosophists I had read before. So, it's something like a fresh approach to spiritual matters, although of course it's still RAM's approach, and we don't know to what extent it's objective or subjective. Following RAM's traces one can still use it as a path of exploration which at some point one can leave, once an own path is discovered.

Spooky

"I'm going where the pavement turns to sand"&&Neil Young, "Thrasher"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.