Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Back to square one (Read 6018 times)
DavidLay

Back to square one
Aug 28th, 2009 at 1:08am

Hello all. I know it has been a long time since I last posted here. I have been trying to meditate and trying to get myself to find Focus 27 but I can't seem to quiet my thoughts down long enough and while I would like that to be the case its hard to say. I have dealt with about 4 total fundamentalist Christians trying to convert me and it usually just makes me uncomfortable. They are very militant in their efforts and I would rather follow something for a better reason than "if you don't you'll be sorry." I mean it can't be all black and white. At the same time I talk to my dad and he says that a lot of times people will come up with something like an afterlife because they can't imagine ceasing to exist. The idea of just disappearing after death is better than eternal torture which to me seems out of character for what I know about God, but it's not much of an improvement. I mean, the idea of dying and then finding nothing and realizing that you've lived for nothing is also a bit depressing. I would like to be able to know and not just believe. I would like to be able to explore and find Focus 27 without having to die but because of my OCD and Asperger's/Autism I have constant looping thoughts that don't seem to quiet down, and usually about things like fears and phobias. I'm trying to subvert them and think about more positive things since I am aware of the law of attraction but it's not always easy. Needless to say it feels like that while I have grown and matured as a person, in a spiritual context it also feels like I've gone back to square one. Any thoughts on what to do or how to go about it?
Love and respect,
David.
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2009 at 3:37am by DavidLay »  
fixationdavid xavitotoenailx  
IP Logged

betson

Afterlife Knowledge Member

SE USA
Re: Back to square one
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 11:04am

Hi David,

I'm really glad you're ordering Bruce's books because they will help you alot with this, perhaps especially the earlier ones.

Here's a couple of other approaches I've tried. Bringing beauty into our lives is good for spiritual development.
1)Is there a beautiful species of plant or animal (non-threatening Wink ) that you could study on the web, even become an expert about? Knowledge about such a thing will make it yours, a part of your life. Probably best not to make that animal species an individual  Cheesy

2) Beautiful sound or music that is flowing and non-jarring, perhaps CDs made for mediating to, can also put your mind and spirit in a calming state.

Immersing yourself in beauty is just one step but it's a helpful one!

Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 11:33am

Hello David,

Sometimes, I think we can overdo it with wanting to explore, so that we don't really relax. Meditation should be all about relaxing, getting into the "mind awake-body asleep" phase, and then, stating intent, and seeing what happens.  Don't focus on the outcome (getting to F27 right away).

Some helpful hints include: asking for help, and for wanting it for the highest good.  I also find, that putting in a request as you are drifting off to sleep, can have powerful results. You can try stating intent (I will visit the Park in Focus 27), just as you are falling asleep. 

The bottom line is, you are not a failure for not getting to Focus 27 right away.  The point is to explore, but not saddle yourself with immediate expectations.

Matthew

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 12:41pm

Hello David:

I can understand you wanting to get some verfication that the afterlife exists, it sure does make life more pleasant when you're certain and understand that an eternal and wonderful future awaits you.

Regarding which path you take, it should always feel good in your heart like peace and love. If a path is fear based and oppresive, "yuch."  If you find a way to use discernment while listening to your heart, you'll be okay.

IP Logged

DavidLay

Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 4:14pm

Thanks for the input, everyone. I think I can relate to DocM's response in that I keep thinking about the big goal and wanting immediate results and that is often discouraging. I have a couple hemi sync mp3's, one going to focus 3 and one to focus 10 that were free on TMI's website. I will have to give those another listen. I agree with Recoverer that it would make life more pleasant to know there is nothing to be afraid of as well and that has something to do with wanting to know. And I will also have to try Bets' idea of studying a plant or animal species, or maybe even more than one. Again I appreciate the input.
Love and respect,
David

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 7:54pm

Hi David. The good news is that deep down you know you know - so to speak. Otherwise you wouldn't be drawn as you are.

There's a lot of ways we can get it wrong on meditation, with the added complication that until you experience some of the states it's not really possible to intellectually communicate where you're hoping to find yourself - it's really not capable of conceptualisation.

Trying too hard is as the guys say a common problem - you end up being driven by your need rather than developing some equanimity or space. Not to mention that it intensifies rather than calms the mind.

The Buddhist teaching on the subject is always that what happens in your mind during meditation should be akin to what happens as the the silt settles in a glass of muddy water that's been shaken.

The muddy obscured water is analagous to the mind full of frantically circling thoughts - and as a result blinded by this mental noise to insight, intuition and subtler forms of seeing.

For what it's worth almost everybody experiences an intensification of mind when they first try to meditate - or if not that they perceive it as happening because they become aware of turbulence of their thoughts. It may not be all that much to do with yourself.

The most important step is to get a regular practice established, and to work steadily at it without turning it into something else to strive after.

After that whatever happens happens so to speak - in that depending on where you are you could make very rapid progress, or it could take lifetimes. The essential point though is that it cannot be forced - the true nature of mind is emergent so to speak in that its always there. It just depends on how heavily obscured it is by this mental noise.

This guy is good (if pretty Buddhist in tone) on meditation method: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=pd_lpo_ix_dp_am_us_uk_en_goldstein.020insi...

Thich Nhat Hanh's Miracle of Minfulness http://www.amazon.co.uk/Miracle-Mindfulness-Classic-Meditation-Revered/dp/184604... teaches meditation too, but does a much better job i think of conveying a feeling for what it's essentialy about - for what it feels like.

Another option is to hook up with say a Buddhist or other group teaching meditation for some basic training and moral support, although it's a good idea to read in parallel as it'll help you get a feel for what its all about...

Avoid anybody pushing dogmatic beliefs at you - your instincts sound correct. Belief contrary to what many mainstream religions teaches  actually blinds us by causing us to cease using our own discrimination and intuition. (we replace it with mind made concepts) Faith is important, but genuine faith (you can't just decide to have faith) grows only gradually stronger out of first understanding, and then the experience of putting the teachings and insight into practice - it emerges naturally much like the stillness and other abilities we might hope for out of meditation.

Zen uses the term 'caring (so that we continue to work on ourselves, continue with self enquiry) but not caring' (not caring enough that we're drawn into becoming objective led). ..

Don't get discouraged, most of us don't start to search until we're a lot older than you, it took serious health problems and 40 years for me to cop on  Roll Eyes that maybe there's another view and way that actually works.....

IP Logged

hawkeye

canada
Reply #6 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 10:07pm

David, I highly suggest getting a bit more hemi sync. Go on to TMI web site and go to the store area. There are a number of excellent cds that can be extremely helpful for your Autism and will stop that looping, along with calming your thoughts. Its been well documented through the professional division. Ask and someone will help you if you cant find what you want. Look into the descriptions of the tapes, sometimes under "more". As for those pushy Christians.... keep your head high and be strong. Their not all bad, but many are so misinformed as to reality. There is nothing wrong with being a good Christian. Course there is nothing wrong with being a good zombie if that's what your into. It most likly better to be a good person. God = good. Fundamentalism=sick and twisted

IP Logged

DavidLay

Reply #7 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 12:23am

Vajra and Hawkeye, thanks. Vajra, those book titles look good so far. Anyways, I'm checking them out on the Amazon site.  I definitely give it my all as far as attempting to concentrate while listening to the hemi sync. The focus 3 and focus 10 ones were the free ones on the website since im currently in college and have a low budget. I think the thing that scares me the most about the dogmatic people trying to get me on their belief platform is the worry that if they keep saying it enough times I will believe it and find myself in a belief system hell since I couldn't force myself to obey everything. The most recent incident was a man talking to me when I was riding the subway home from school and he suddenly asked me out of nowhere if i knew Jesus, and I said I knew about him, and he then went on a tangent as to i either know him or i don't and where i wanted to go when i died and that there were only two places, and the whole concept is actually terrifying, especially since I have been trying to be as kind and compassionate as possible and have made significant leaps from where I was as an autistic kid who didn't even know how to feel empathy until he was 17 years old. Since meeting as many of these people I have been compulsively avoiding anything that has a number 666, or if I draw a lowercase t and the bar is closer to the bottom than the top, modifying it because of "what if" type thinking but at the same time, not wanting to go into a church when invited by someone who seems fundamental because I'm worried I might get pulled in further and find myself stuck in a BST. What I really want to do with my life is to make as many people feel good as possible and avoid hurting others when possible and to not only chase after my dreams but to help others reach theirs as well.

I agree that faith isnt something you just decide but that it forms with time. I agree with Hawkeye on God = Good and Fundamentalist = sick and twisted. LOL. In fact I may go to the TMI store and look at the available hemi sync CDs for sale. Any recommended titles in particular?

IP Logged

Volu

Right here and right there
Reply #8 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 4:15am

DavidLay,
About immediate results, most people I know have put in a lot of practice into what they've become good at. Listening to an excellent guitarist playing now, his first chord probably sounded nothing like a chord. Maybe the guitarist kept at it because he enjoyed it, even though he sometimes thought he sucked.

About your dad, his intentions sound good, a lot of people think the physical is all there is, and he's probably giving advice from his point of view. My experience is different. My seed was a brief out of body experience, and it got me thinking, how could this be, it meant I could move without the body, which I at that time thought was me.

I've turned a lot of stones looking for ways of getting beyond the physical. I remember reading about an exercise once. Tried it, and the breathing pattern relaxed the body, but decided to go off script. Got this idea about being way above the body and jumping down from like a springboard, and into the eyes. Did that a number of times, and then I sensed definite non-physical moving, though I couldn't see anything. The most peculiar thing was the wonderful feeling I got, which my closest reference at the time was an orgasm. Well, didn't jump out of the body into wonderful explorations that day, but it opened a door for me. The following night I had my first lucid dream, triggered by the same previous feeling, but this time much stronger and multiple ones. And the lucid dreams became stepping stones into other adventures. For others, the off script thing, might not do anything at all. So the short version is, nice to hear friendly tips and all from others, but sometimes branching out and finding out for yourself what works for you makes sense.

Best of wishes on your path.

Vegetarian is an old indian word for bad hunter.

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 8:47am

To pick up on something David. 'Give it your all as far as attempting to concentrate while meditating...'

It may be just a figure of speech you used, but if it's what you are actually doing it sounds like you may be trying to 'do' meditation.

Which isn't possible. You can't manufacture the meditative space, it's always been there, it just 'is'. (in ACIM terms it's when we start to to open, when we probably intermittently open to 'hearing' the Holy Spirit via our intuition or other means over the chatter of the thinking mind) The intention is to become aware of it, to develop the ability to rest in it (language doesn't express this very well) but the problem is that the moment you 'try' to do it, the more you intensify the thinking mind, the more you thicken the fog of thought and the more obscured it becomes.

Trying to 'stop' thinking has the same effect, never mind that it's a contradiction. While meditating you don't try to manipulate your thoughts, you instead seek to rest easy and watch the thoughts arise and decay.

If as happens we find ourselves getting sucked into a line of thought (what's for lunch!!  Wink or whatever) it make take us with it for some time before we recognise what has happened. When we do recognise we've been taken in just quietly drop it. Don't beat up on yourself, and don't allow yourself to get angry or frustrated - just say to yourself 'not just now thank you', and go back to watching your thoughts.

Meditation (contrary to popular perception) is not about 'making' your mind lie quiet. It's about practicing the ability to rest quietly and with equanimity while thoughts come and go on the screen of your conscious mind - without getting sucked into identifying with them.

Another way of putting it is perhaps that with time and practice there's a part of mind that develops the ability to stand aside and just quietly observe what goes on in the thinking mind while its led astray by the 'mad monkey' of ego.

With time and lots of practice a quieter mind may emerge - but it takes many many years for some to reach a quieter mind, and 'achieving' a quiet mind is not the sign of meditating well. Staying quietly with the task, not getting discouraged, and eventually becoming so that this equanimity is undisturbed no matter what arises in the mind (and eventually in our external experience) is what its about.

Pema Chodron (a well know Buddhist nun and teacher) famously writes broadly to the effect that she's not by the criteria of 'quiet mind' had a single decent meditation to this day. (and that's after an adult lifetime of meditation) The point though is that this is not a problem.

Over time (but it may take years) the mind may tend to quieten, but as soon as we try to actively force it, or become upset or frustrated we go backwards.

There a very old training in the nature of this process  that's usually expressed in pictures like the one here from a Tibetan Buddhist monastery: http://www.reep.org/gardens/buddhism/images/1religion/tamingthemind2_l.jpg The page (which nicely explains some of the why of meditation in the Mahayana Buddhist view http://images.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://www.reep.org/gardens/buddhism/image... - its essentially the creation of the space needed for wisdom and compassion to arise. The generation of esoteric experience is not the point...) explains the picture as follows:

'Painting from a Tibetan Buddhist monastery:

This painting from a Tibetan Buddhist monastery is like a cartoon strip showing stages of a monk calming his mind through meditation training.

* At the bottom you see a new monk whose mind wanders so much in its own directions that it resembles a muddy elephant led by a naughty monkey. The monk is running after it.
    * Half-way up, his mind, the elephant, has been partly cleaned up and it is the monk who is now leading it – though the monkey is still interfering by pulling the elephant’s tail from behind.
    * Further up, the elephant is now clean and the monk alone is in charge – he is saying goodbye to the monkey.
    * Next the monk can get the elephant to lie down and finally he can ride it.
    * At the top the monk is fully in charge of the elephant, his mind, and is now riding down to put its powers to good (wise and compassionate) use.'

Try not either to get attached to or to strive after esoteric experience of one sort or another. It's part of the total experience that may (or may not) arise, it can be a nice confirmation that our mind training is progressing, and it can play a role in our development by presenting learning opportunities and deepening our knowing, but it's essentially a side show which becomes a diversionary cul de sac if it becomes an object of attachment in itself.

A practiced meditator eventually develops the ability to drop into these states very quickly and easily, but it is a matter of mind training. Hemi Sync can help a lot too.

PS (a later add-on) Two basic types of meditation are taught at first - 'shamatha' (calm abiding) and 'vipassana' (insight meditation)

Development of a reasonable capability in the first is generally seen as desirable  before starting the second - in that if it is attempted (insight meditation on a given topic) before there is some stabilisation of our mind the result tends to be out of control and often obsessive thought which drowns out any intuitive insight we might otherwise have been able to access.

On the other hand most find that as space and stability start to  develop in the mind that insight naturally arises - both when meditating, and in normal life, whether working a topic or not. (my own experience is that it works best when not trying, as i often get too intense if i try to do it). Insight is not anyway the result of 'thinking' about a topic. It's more about resting with the topic lightly in mind and passively awaiting what arises. (its essentially the creative process - and explains why our creativity dries up when we get uptight) Depending on your tradition the source of this insight can be spoken off as being the prompting of the Holy Spirit, of higher mind, of our true nature and so on.

The other sure fire indicator that space and stability are starting to arise is often an indeterminate but very lovely feeling of being comfortable and easy with one self - things, people and situations that used to bother us no longer do, and in the resulting space we find ourselves very often feeling or spontaneously expressing compassion, and doing the wise thing in situations - which often is just to let things 'be' instead of panicking, and rushing in with inappropriate actions.

One of the side effects is often the emergence of a deep trust or faith in 'flow' - the knowing that life is basically benevolent, and that if we can rest easy act wisely that it tends to being to us exactly what we need at right time on our journey.

None of this can be forced though. Do work and hopefully it emerges, wells up from somewhere in the depths of mind. We're talking reducing the intensity of/allowing the obscuring fog of thought to clear so that we can access these attributes and feelings. Eventually they emerge and are just 'there' - it's a process not of acting directly to make something happen, but of 'becoming' something else. Nothing whatsoever to do with the outcome of an intellectual or conscious thought process.

The creative power, compassion and wisdom of this sort of knowing can deliver a truly amazing transformation of the individual concerned.

Pardon the length, but maybe it may help some others too. What i've tried to set out is a very typical Tibetan Buddhist expression of teaching on meditation.
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2009 at 10:57am by N/A »  

IP Logged

b2
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 10:39am

Quote:
Pardon the length, but maybe it may help some others too. What i've tried to set out is a very typical Tibetan Buddhist expression of teaching on meditation.

What a great illustration, Vajra. This has helped me considerably today. Many thanks. There is a line which I placed on a collage a few years back, when expressing a life change I had begun. I cut it out of a magazine, among others.

"Mastery is satisfying. But sometimes the real pleasure is in returning to square one."

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 11:00am

Smiley We were created perfect B2. Our task is just to realise this again ...

IP Logged

Pat E.

Northern California
Reply #12 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 6:53pm

My license plate holder reads "Don't believe everything you think."  This statement came from one of Pema Chodron's meditation weekends in northern California several years ago, and I had the holder made via the internet.  It's a bit of wisdom to take with you as you meditate or live life.  Just today, as I was getting gas, a woman asked me if I sold the license plate holders because she wanted one, it appealed to her so much.

IP Logged

Berserk2

Reply #13 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 7:51pm

[David:] "I have dealt with about 4...fundamentalist Christians trying to convert me and it usually just makes me uncomfortable. They are very militant in their efforts and I would rather follow something for a better reason than "if you don't you'll be sorry." I mean it can't be all black and white. At the same time I talk to my dad and he says that a lot of times people will come up with something like an afterlife because they can't imagine ceasing to exist."

Beware the temptation to assess any brand of spirituality by its most negative and simple-minded examplars.  Whether it be a church, a New Age group, or methods of astral exploration, recognize a sobering truth: everything in the realm of spiritual experience is distorted by counterfeit spirituality. 

Several of the young professionals in my church had rejected Christianity because of fear-based Fundamentalist versions that, in effect, asked them to embrace a second-hand spirituality by blind faith.  Others have evolved beyond a toxic New Age spirituality that initiated them into paranormal verifications.  Through spiritual retreats and experience-based approaches to God, their spiritual quests have finally become joyful and authentic.  Some of them have experienced paranormal healing and comforting ADCs with deceased loved ones.  Nothing can substitute for life-changing, self-authenticating spiritual experiences.  Never simply take a pastor's word for it--or an astral adept's!

Best wishes,
Don    

IP Logged

betson

SE USA
Reply #14 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 8:00pm

PS to David,

But you can have your own ADCs and experience the joyful authenticity yourself! There's the paradox!

Don is a pastor, so he knows whereof he speaks  Smiley

Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.