Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Soul - consciousness - brain (Read 6827 times)
Still_Living

Canada
Soul - consciousness - brain
May 8th, 2009 at 10:07am

My apologies for being skeptic  Undecided , just trying to provoke some discussion here. I have a question to ask you, people...

Assuming that we are eternal, spiritual and fully conscious beings at all times and our body is just a “carrier”. Assuming that our souls enter the body at birth and leave it with the last breath, my question is:
What happens during the first months (years) of life? The new born babies are not capable to communicate, comprehend the reality until later when the brain is developed enough.
Same with the people who’s mental capabilities are very limited due to severe brain damage or illness – one may be physically alive, but mentally absolutely incapable.

Does that mean the soul is not present in the body?
Maybe it means that there is no such thing as a SOUL and mature and healthy human brain is the only source of the consciousness?

Please, your input…

Thank you,
SL
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2009 at 7:45pm by Still_Living »  

IP Logged

hawkeye

Afterlife Knowledge Member

canada
Re: Soul - conscious - brain
Reply #1 - May 8th, 2009 at 12:45pm

SL, I think that you may be a little confused. You must be a man. Like myself. Ask a mother if she has communication with her new baby. Because someone like Stephen Hawking doesn't speak, does that mean he has no soul?
What do you mean by "comprehend the reality"?

IP Logged

Still_Living

Canada
Reply #2 - May 8th, 2009 at 1:03pm

Hi Hawkeye,

Yep, I am confused...  Undecided
By "comprehend the reality" I meant "Adequately respond to external disturbances".  Shocked
Phooooo....I'm pushing my English language capabilities to the limits here.... Grin Angry

Oh, and Stephen Hawking is another side of the coin... With phisically disabled body, but perfectly healthy brain he is one of the brightest minds in modern history... if not ever...

Cheers,
SL

IP Logged

hawkeye

canada
Reply #3 - May 8th, 2009 at 1:33pm

I see babies as having a phyical impairment also. When we choose to exist in a new body and enter it at some point. (not sure when) learning to control and use the body effectively would take some time. That includes all the complexities of learning language and that sort of communication.
If I made the choice to exist in a cats body...it would take time to learn the complexities of tail movement. Or walk using four legs. I would think anyways.
When you look into the eyes of a newborn baby, you feel their discomfort when they need a change of diapers or their hungry. Or cold. Or even just need some love. This NVC sort of communication starts at the beginning. Now the soul entering the body at birth...I am not so sure about. It could enter well befor that time. Perhaps not at conception....but that is an argument for the right to life/pro choice.

IP Logged

betson

SE USA
Reply #4 - May 8th, 2009 at 1:33pm

Hi Still Living,

Here's one experience regarding your question. I have such early memories because I was taught to self-hypnotize by a psychiatrist I was seeing for flashbacks etc:

My first ever memory is a big blue eye or two swimming above me. I thought they were God, so I tried to open my eyes. That did'nt work so I tried to open my third eye. I was becoming more conscious by the minute but was so young I had no control over anything. I heard voices yelling No! No! and people calling out "She's opening! Too soon!" then groaning.

I've found that I was leaving an early semi-conscious state that's given to us for the first few months of life while we adjust to physical sensations. It also is to keep us from getting bored while our bodies are so uncontrollable.

It turned out my earth dad had blue eyes and he looked at me so intensely that it caused me to ''wake up" prematurely.   Smiley

The soul was there before consciousness.

Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

PhantasyMan

Québec
Reply #5 - May 8th, 2009 at 2:19pm

Hi Still Living,

Read the following post by tom campbell. It may enlighten   you.: http://www.my-big-toe.com/phpBB34/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3254&p=7406&hilit=brain#p7...

IP Logged

Still_Living

Canada
Re: Soul - consciousness - brain
Reply #6 - May 9th, 2009 at 7:26pm

Hawkeye, Betson, PhantasyMan...

Your replies are very much appreciated. I will definitely look closer into Tom Campbell publications.
Well... I have one more question  Roll Eyes I'll post it later though  Wink

Regards,
SL

IP Logged

spooky2

Reply #7 - May 9th, 2009 at 10:16pm

I see it the same way Campbell does in that post of him.
In short: The soul (or whatever there may be beyond the physical) can manifest itself in the physical only within the limitations of it's physical body and the physical rules. If a soul doesn't have a physical body, it can't manifest physically. The body in turn is the physical "agent" through which the soul can directly act in the physical.

Interesting memory Bets.

Spooky

"I'm going where the pavement turns to sand"&&Neil Young, "Thrasher"

IP Logged

Still_Living

Canada
Reply #8 - May 10th, 2009 at 10:46am

spooky2 wrote on May 9th, 2009 at 10:16pm:
The body in turn is the physical "agent" through which the soul can directly act in the physical.

Thank you, Spooky2

This triggers my next question:

What about all sorts of murderers, rapists, child molesters and those who simply find their pleasure observing others to suffer? Are they also manifestations of Love, Kindness and Compassion?  Angry I don't think so.
So, what are they here for? What the lesson they have come to learn and experience to gain? Angry

Those creatures are not even animals as no animal on Earth would kill for pleasure.

Regards.
SL

IP Logged

moonsandjunes
Ex Member

Reply #9 - May 10th, 2009 at 1:40pm

just a thought: perhaps not for pleasure, but certainly for curiosity

every individual a new generation, characteristics not completely known

perhaps for some, a moment of curiosity is quite enough on this earth plane, hard to say what is 'enough' for another individual, for the experience they chose

often, consequences are not known for a long period of time, understanding is not possible until then

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #10 - May 10th, 2009 at 3:49pm

Hi SL,

If Tom Campbell helped with your previous questions you might find this thread interesting for your last question.

http://www.my-big-toe.com/phpBB34/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3621

Kathy

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

spooky2

Reply #11 - May 10th, 2009 at 10:37pm

I like Campbell more and more, maybe one day I'll even try "My Big TOE"...

Spooky

"I'm going where the pavement turns to sand"&&Neil Young, "Thrasher"

IP Logged

Still_Living

Canada
Reply #12 - May 11th, 2009 at 8:18am

spooky2 wrote on May 10th, 2009 at 10:37pm:
I like Campbell more and more, maybe one day I'll even try "My Big TOE"...

Spooky

Agree...

Thanks all for your input  Smiley

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #13 - May 11th, 2009 at 3:07pm

I noticed that people at that site ask Tom Campbell a question, and then they seem to accept the answer as if it's gospel. I don't care who a source of information is, a person doesn't do his (or herself) a favor if he becomes overly dependent on what another person says. People need to learn a way to find out for themselves.  

One example, somebody asked Tom Campbell if Jane Roberts made up Seth or is Seth a real being, and he answered that Seth is a higher level being.  

Fortunately,  I don't find it necessary to rely on what somebody like Tom Campbell said, because I found my own way to determine what Seth is about, and various things lead me to believe that Jane made up Seth. Even if she actually channeled Seth, and Seth says numerous things that are true, he has certainly said enough things that are false, that he shouldn't be thought of as some infallible light being.

I guess if a person wants to take Tom Campbell's word for it and accept what Seth has to say accordingly, he will be influenced accordingly.

A day will come, perhaps another incarnation, where such a person/soul will find that it isn't a good idea to put other people on such a pedestal that you forget to think for yourself.

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #14 - May 11th, 2009 at 3:32pm

Actually Albert, TC encourages people to be skeptical, even of what he has to say. He also encourages them to "taste the pudding" and find out for themselves.

His website is dedicated to answering questions about the books he has written so naturally his answers reflect and explain MBT in a more understandable way.

Personally he doesn't say much that I would disagree with. It all depends on how much of the big picture you're able to understand. Few people have progressed far enough for complete understanding. We are all still in kindergarden. Cheesy

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.