Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Exploring the Hypnagogic State (Read 16950 times)
DocM

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Exploring the Hypnagogic State
Apr 29th, 2009 at 12:19am

It has long been noted that if you want to communicate with those in the afterlife or explore in other realms of consciousness, that investigation may be facilitated by exploring in that twilight between wakefulness and sleep known as the hypnagogic state.  Few of us have the focus and willpower to explore this realm, because we "click out," or phase into sleep and lose our focus.

However, the utility of this state cannot be denied.  Many artists, musicians, scientists and inventors have presented their projects to their own subconscious minds at that time and come up with answers that can only be described as divine inspiration.  

In the 1800s, Friedrich August Kekule von Stradonitz was a scientist who initially wanted to be an architect.  He found himself attracted to chemistry instead (both chemists and architects deal, afterall with analyzing structure) and was trying to decipher the structure of a benzene ring.  
In 1865 he got stuck and found himself facing a tricky problem when the benzene molecule refused to fit into that model: if of a linear structure, that particular substance would have been explosively unstable. This was a hard nut to crack. Especially, taking into account that atoms have only just recently become observable. In the long run, however, the answer to that problem came to him —and this in a very peculiar manner! Explains Kekule:

"I put my armchair in front of the fireplace and dozed off. Suddenly, atoms revolved in front of me... moving like serpents. But —what is this? One of the serpents was biting its own tail, dancing teasingly in front of my eyes! I woke up as struck by lightning, and worked the rest of the night on the consequences of the hypothesis thus generated."
His experience was crucial and elucidative: the structure of the benzene molecule is actually like a ring: the very ring allegorized by the serpent that bit its own tail.  

There are many other examples of answers being obtained through this hypnagogic state.  Many people have experimented with it, and several sources recommend putting requests to one's subconscious just prior to sleep and then awaiting the results.  A simple test anyone on this forum can perform is that of awakening using an internal clock.  Simply put in a request that you will awaken at a certain time the next morning, as you are relaxed and just about to doze off.  Nine times out of ten, you will awaken precisely when you say, as if you set an alarm clock.  While some may dismiss this as "self-hypnosis," there is much more to it than that...

Emanuel Swedenborg explored both his dreams, and through self-discipline, began to master this hypnagogic state.  He was able to communicate with spirits close to the earth plane in the early morning period.  Fascinating troves of information were gleaned by exploring at that time, including descriptions of the activity of structures in the human body such as the adrenal glands, that could not possibly have been known to Swedenborg or scientists of that time.  Eventually, ES could have direct communication with discarnate spirits after exploring this state.  

Daytime meditation, hemi-sync, yoga and other practices often invlve deep relaxation, and stilling the mind to get into similar conditions as a "mind awake, body asleep" state.  I wonder if exploring this realm, expecially before sleep or immediately upon awakening is not the key to our knowledge and communication with other areas of consciousness?  From my readings it appears that putting requests in to our subconscious just prior to sleep leads to answers that follow.  Communication is likely to occur in a more direct way just after waking in the morning.  

ES practiced maintaining his focus of alertness, while falling asleep.  This is perhaps the most difficult part (to not wink out).  

Matthew
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2009 at 3:47pm by DocM »  

IP Logged

banana

Re: Exploring the Hypnogaugic State
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2009 at 2:25am

Hi Mathew, I experienced just recently the touch and sound(voice) of my dead brother who just died. This happened March13 and if you click on my name that is when I joined Bruce's Afterlife Website. I have never known about any of this but since my brother came to me,my spiritual senses have been piqued.He came to me in the "Twilight" state. I was just getting ready to fall asleep but was still awake. I have also just recently met my spirit guide by asking"her"(didn't know it was a her at the time) before I went to sleep to come to me so I could meet them....again in my "Twilight" state she came to me and her name popped into my head.Always after I get up at around 2;30 am  to get a drink of water and I am back in bed to begin to fall asleep. I have tried other times at that "Twilight" state but its like you said it is very hard to do it....I usually fall asleep. I figure I have to learn to meditate and know my chakras. It is hard to have the willpower and I did without knowing those two times and when I try I "click" out.
Any thoughts?
Anna

IP Logged

Berserk2

Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2009 at 3:26pm

Matthew,

It is clear to me that Swedenborg's unique astral gifts were a function of his hynagogic method and the discipline he developed to achieve it. But many of his astral trips were made while he was fully conscious and long awake.  I suspect that both his awesome verifications and his obvious astral errors can be explained in part by his different methods and corresponding state of consciousness.  Too bad he is long dead.  Research might have been developed to check his accuracy using his various methods.

Don
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2009 at 6:24pm by Berserk2 »  

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2009 at 3:40pm

Perhaps if Manual was still alive, information would've been provided to him that is appropriate to the time period.  I figure that as the human race evolves, different information will be needed.

Consider religion. For many years it has served a purpose. Quite often religion is a matter of one or more people telling other people what to believe. Perhaps a time will come where the human race will spiritually evolve to an extent, where it will be easier for each of us to tune into spiritual truth on our own, rather than having to rely on other people's interpretations.

How do we help people the most? By telling them what to believe, or showing them how to find out for themselves? I do believe it is useful to provide some basic informaton, as long as it doesn't get people caught up in a dogmatic approach that isn't as productive as is necessary for the betterment of both the individual and the human race.

Don:

Sorry if it seems as if I'm following you around today. This isn't intentional. Just how things are working out. Stop talking about things I'm interested in. Wink

Berserk2 wrote on Apr 29th, 2009 at 3:26pm:
Matthew,

I loeked up the spelling in my dictionary. Roll Eyes  It is clear to me that Swedenborg's unique astral gifts were a function of his hynagogic method and the discipline he developed to achieve it. But many of his astral trips were made while he was fully conscious and long awake.  I suspect that both his awesome verifications and his obvious astral errors can be explained in part by his different methods and corresponding state of consciousness.  Too bad he is long dead.  Research might have been developed to check his accuracy using his various methods.

Don

IP Logged

DocM

Re: Exploring the Hypnagogic State
Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2009 at 5:14pm

Hi Don and all,

Don, I've taken the liberty of correcting the spelling to "hypnagogic," although I have seen variations of it in other writings and dictionaries.  Ahem. 

Anyway, I started this thread to explore this particular twilight state betwen wakeful consciousness and sleep.   As you know, ES had an extensive dream journal - two centuries before Freud wrote of his own dream analysis.  I almost think that exploring both dreams with their symbology, and then this hypnagogic area of consciousness is vital to breaking down the boundaries from one level of consciousness to another if we are to have more meaningful contact with the afterlife. 

What is this "collective unconscious" that we access in the hypnagogic state?  When an inventor or musician get an inspiration for art, or a solution to a vexing problem through "sleeping on it," are they accessing a limitess area of akashic records, or are they being given information by a spiritually evolved entity?  Is the idea "original" if all knowledge is already present in these Akashic libraries?

Later tonight, I plan to post a general description of the akashic records or collective unconscious (as referred to by Jung).  The connection between our conscious minds and this unconscious but powerfully creative mind holds a key to our creative power manifest in the physical world.  And what ties our waking thoughts to this power?  I believe, the answer is found in the hypnagogic state.

Matthew

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2009 at 6:04pm

Banana

Thank you for sharing your personal experiences in this state.  I would like to see more members posting what they have experienced, rather than what they have read.

For me, the hypnagogic state is basically a gateway to higher dimensions.  It seems that the switch from normal waking consciousness to the hypnagogic state brings me into a state of oneness with my subconscious mind.  

From here, almost any conscious thought or request materializes nonphysically.  It is common for this state to transform into a lucid dream/obe, where my energy body or mental body materializes into a dimension created from usually a combination of my conscious and subconscious mind.

This state has also facilitated communication with nonphysical entities.  Usually these entities seem to be higher spiritual beings, for I receive feelings of love when communication is open.  This communication is usually very brief, however, and very difficult to remember or understand at times.  In this state I have communicated with my higher self, an ET, and other unidentified beings.  

I almost always consciously pass through this state right before an OBE.  I will usually see seemingly random three-dimensional images, and various sounds(usually voices, sometimes one, sometimes many simultaneously).  If I am intent on projecting, I will ignore these stimuli and exit my physical body.  If I am simply meditating, I will usually observe what I see and hear more closely and see where it takes me.

My very first, and possibly most profound experience in the hypnagogic state, was maybe a week after I first began trying to leave my body about 8 years ago.  I slipped into the state, and felt a hand on my shoulder.  A very comforting and loving voice said, "I am proud of you my son."  I now know this was my higher self communicating to me that I found the path I was meant to take, I found the means to advance my consciousness to higher levels, which will help me achieve my purpose for this life.

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #6 - Apr 29th, 2009 at 6:52pm

I believe that if you do things that change you energetically, such as let go of limitations and grow in love, it becomes easier to experience altered states of consciousness. It doesn't seem as if I have to go in an altered state in order to experience non-physically.  I close my eyes, feel a lot of energy that is pretty much always there, and experience whatever is experienced.

On the other hand, I haven't mastered an OBE technique.

IP Logged

banana

Reply #7 - Apr 29th, 2009 at 8:13pm

Hi Dude.,
I have already "PM'D" someone on this board, because I thought embarrased to write about it. But I might as well post what happened to me last night, since you said you like it when people post about these things. First of all if this makes sense to anyone I feel like I am on "fire" whenever I go to bed at night.That is when things are happening to me and when I seem to get in touch with the other side. Last night was a little scary for me.
Before I went to bed last night I prayed and asked my brother if he could come to me. I also invited my spirit guide's to come.One has already come to me in the night. I did my Chakra breathing.All of this took maybe 10 minutes not to long. At around 1;30 am I had the most vivid dream which at first I thought was real(like my brother) the first time. It began with the pushing of my shoulders again just like my brother and this time I thought I am going to open my eyes to see John. Well that is all I could do because I was paralyzed and couldn't move ,I opened my eyes saw that it was not John....I really can't describe what I saw...but it was a spirit. I asked the spirit if he was here with God or with the white light....(I have no idea where that came from?) I then said if you are not connected to God or the White light you must Go Away! he never said anything to me just looked at me with interest. I said it again maybe two more times and he finally left. That entire time I thought.... was I awake or was that an incredible dream? I finally woke up and moved... it was a little scary. Whenever I have had these moments...this one being with a stranger I am always on my back.When I go to the fetal position...nothing ever happens. Anyway the only thing that was scary was that I couldn't move, the spirit didn't scare me. Was I in that Hypnagogic state?

IP Logged

spooky2

Reply #8 - Apr 29th, 2009 at 10:28pm

It's a matter of definition what the hypnagogic state exactly is, but in the common meaning I'd say yes, Banana, you were in that state. The so-called "sleep paralysis" can accompany it. My simple explanation is, when there is a blending of physical awareness and nonphysical awareness then such things as this paralysis can happen. One still is connected to the physical world, to the body, but on the other hand one has stepped already that far into a nonphysical world that you can perceive in both ways, nonphysically and physically, without being able in that moment to control the physical body.
  Once I had a partial OBE when I attempted to move during such a paralysis, thinking I was full physically awake.

Spooky

"I'm going where the pavement turns to sand"&&Neil Young, "Thrasher"

IP Logged

betson

SE USA
Reply #9 - May 1st, 2009 at 9:56am

Dear Matthew  and all,

To identify OBEs with hypnagogia is a great service, IMO !

If we are bringing willpower (OK, our 'intent) to do good for others (retrievals) into a state of mind where people have for so long felt helpless (paralyzed, fearful), then surely this is a wonderful advancement for human development !!

The definition of hypnagogia given at Wikipedia certainly fits our situation:
"Hypnagogia
Hypnagogia (Greek ὕπνος, húpnos "sleep" + the root found in ἄγω, ágō "to lead away, conduct, convey", ἀγωγεύς, agōgeús "conveyor", ἀγωγή, agōgḗ "abduction, transport, leading away" etc.)

Tody I've been seeking more information via google on hypnagogia. The problem with the discussions and definitions I've found, including the rest of the Wikipedia entry, is that they are written by persons who have little or no experience with the postive aspects of this field.

Moments of hypnagogia can very well be the 'eye of the needle' that must be entered to get over into heaven while in the physical.   Keep in mind the eye of the needle admits a narrow beam of Light.
No one ever said it would be easy.

Bets
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2009 at 3:35pm by betson »  

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

betson

SE USA
Reply #10 - May 1st, 2009 at 5:10pm

....Maybe I was taking something for granted here --

Do we need to be in a' hypnagogic' state to enter 'the afterlife?'

I'm thinking we do, even though we can with experience flip through that state very quickly.

By afterlife, I mean a non-physical state, where we can connect with each other here on the earth plane C1 as well as with those in FLs, through a type of mental telepathy or shared consciousness.
I know that works, due to more than random correlations  during PEs and a group 'afterlife visitation.'

Bets

Shakespeare

IP Logged

betson

SE USA
Reply #11 - May 1st, 2009 at 6:22pm

Matthew--

this is an exciting thread!  I hope we still get to hear your plans for it --
("Later tonight, I plan to post a general description of the akashic records or collective unconscious (as referred to by Jung).  The connection between our conscious minds and this unconscious but powerfully creative mind holds a key to our creative power manifest in the physical world.  And what ties our waking thoughts to this power?  I believe, the answer is found in the hypnagogic state.")

Bets

Shakespeare

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #12 - May 1st, 2009 at 10:24pm

The key question here was voiced by Bets, which, if I may paraphrase, is whether the hypnagogic state is a necessary conduit to contact with the afterlife or other realms of consciousness?  In TMI terms, the student progresses through hemisync focus levels, which eventually get into focus 10, 12 (to mind awake body asleep).  This is the hypnagogic state, but it seems different than the natural state just before sleep.  I believe, however, that while we are incarnate (in the physical world) we DO need to pass through this state to explore other realms of consciousness.

As I stated at the beginning of this discussion, the hypnagogic state appears to have tremendous potential for the application of intent, for divine inspiration, for communication with the afterlife, but......there is one kicker.

In order to explore and master this state, we must be able to maintain our rational mind without "winking out," or entering a symbolic rambling dreamscape.  This is an area, that I believe Emanuel Swedenborg was able to master because of his extreme intelligence and highly disciplined scientific mind.  

Why is the hypnagogic state so powerful?  Why can we not accomplish the same communications or manifestations of intent in our everyday lives with our waking thoughts?  For me, the answer is clear.  It has to do with belief, and the collective unconscious.  

On earth, it is not our fleeting thoughts or desires that are immediately manifest in our lives, but rather our deepest beliefs - those that our subconscious knows to be true.  In our waking minds, there is chatter; there is doubt.  

In the hypnagogic state, we have a direct line to our own unconscious which connects to the collective unconscious.  Whatever we state to this unconscious is imprinted during hypnagogia, as a true belief.  The collective unconscious is like a machine with limitless potential but no direction.  It seems clear that our deepest thoughts/beliefs imprint themselves on this membrane, and the collective unconscious acts like the proverbial genie - affecting probabilities to manifest the belief.  During hypnagogia, since there is no cross chatter (as in our waking minds) thoughts lead to a much more direct manifestation.  Thus when affirmations are given as we drift off, they have a thousand fold better chance of manifesting in our lives.  But what is this collective unconcsious we impress our beliefs onto?  Why does it respond to our intent?  

This will be the subject of my next post, and hopefully expanded on by others.

Matthew

IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Reply #13 - May 1st, 2009 at 11:36pm

I'm not clear on how you are defining the hypnagogic state.

Some years ago I read something that caused me to associate it with an experience I had. I had driven very late into the night...or early into the morning, and when I arrived, exhausted, at my destination and tried to crash, I had a bit of trouble falling asleep, as I had striven to stay awake for a while! When I did, I had images of the road and the white lines in my view. The images had a particular character or sense to them that I cannot define...(but we can all tell the difference between a watercolor or an oil painting, and if oil is waking, then maybe this is watercolor), but what I read lead me to label that dram road a hypnagogic dream image.

I have had other vivid experiences of body asleep mind somewhere else that have a different quality to them, yet if you define hypnagogic as that in-between state, they might be labeled as hypnagogic images. But they were different. Maybe they were acrylics.

So I'm getting a definition that doesn't make sense to me.

I checked on the web and came across an article that..hmm can I link to it so I can quote from it and not Plagarize Smiley !
http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:uwzWUzQ1rmUJ:mindfull.spc.org/vaughan/Vaugh...

so this writer says in one place this:

Quote:
Try this yourself on public transport. Because of the low background noiseand occasional external prompting, if you manage to fall asleep, dozing onbuses and trains can often lead to striking hypnagogic states. In spite of this,this is not always the most practical technique, as you can sometimes end uphaving to explore more than your own consciousness if you miss your stop.

That was interesting to me because I have a great ability to fall asleep on the subway after a full day's work and sometimes I do experience this. This happens particularly if I am reading and then doze off sitting up. I think I read something else but when I wake up the words I just read aren't there. (in years of doing this, I think I only missed a stop once, and that was when I was on the wrong train and went through the stop where I have to change trains).

Vaughan Bell also says:
Quote:
An ingenious study published in Science did manage to investigate the roleof some of the deeper brain structures in hypnagogia [3], specifically themedial temporal lobes, which are particularly linked to memory function.The researchers asked five patients who had suffered medial temporal lobedamage to play several hours of Tetris. Damage to this area of the brainoften causes amnesia, and the patients in this study had little consciousmemory for more than a few minutes at a time. On one evening, some hoursafter their last game, the players were woken up just as they started to dozeand were asked for their experiences. Although they had no conscious memoryof playing the game, all of the patients mentioned images of falling,rotating Tetris blocks. This has given us some strong evidence that the hypnagogicstate may be due (at least in part) to unconscious memories appearingas unusual hypnagogic experiences.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page 5
318 | Chapter 9, RememberingIn Real LifeMany authors and artists have been fascinated by this state and have tried toextend or use it to explore ideas or gain inspiration. To name a couple, RobertLouis Stevenson’s The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and manyof Paul Klee’s paintings were reportedly inspired by hypnagogic experiences.See Also1. Tanaka, H., Hayashi, M., & Hori, T. (1997). Topographicalcharacteristics and principal component structure of the hypnagogicEEG. Sleep, 20(7), 523–534.2. Wackermann, J., Putz, P., Buchi, S., Strauch, I., & Lehmann, D.(2002). Brain electrical activity and subjective experience duringaltered states of consciousness: ganzfeld and hypnagogic states.International Journal of Psychophysiology, 46(2), 123–146.3. Stickgold, R., Malia, A., Maguire, D., Roddenberry, D., & O’Connor,M. (2000). Replaying the game: Hypnagogic images in normals and amnesics. Science, 290(5490), 350–353.4. Although this is quite an old paper now, it is still one of the best reviews of the history, phenomena, and techniques associated with the hypnagogic state. Schacter, D. L. (1976). The hypnagogic state:A critical review of the literature. Psychological Bulletin, 83(3), 452–481.—Vaughan Bell

This is more like my experience after driving. The stuff about the Tetris blocks.

(Hmm the page 5 stuff doesn't show on the page on my computer, but it copied and pasted. So I left it there.)

IP Logged

betson

SE USA
Reply #14 - May 5th, 2009 at 11:26pm

Hello,

This thread is too important to just fade out!  Someone please say something!  Shocked

Lucy, I don't think you were quite in a hypnagogic state yet, as your body was too awake. Also if a person such as yourself who has heard so much about retrievals etc would get closer to a hypnagogic state, I expect you'd whoosh right into the afterlife!

Despite that other site's example of using the background noise of public transportation to lull one inward, what is missing while one is driving or riding is the deep sense of trust that collapses the final barriers. I recall that Bruce said to think of being a baby in the arms of its protective caring parent--woops, OK, that was to recall a sense of PUL, but it associates a deeper sense of  being physically inactive than that other site's or Lucy's examples do. So it could just be a matter of degree.

I received prophetic telepathic information from an unknown source when I was not hypnagogic, due to background noises that set up a strange hypnotizing hummmm-mm.
For contacts with souls in the Afterlife, I've always had to have mind very alert and well rested, body very relaxed and also well rested.
Has anyone made afterlife contacts when they were not in a
'mind alert, body immovable' state?

Bets

Shakespeare

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.