Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Neale Donald Walsch caught plagiarizing (Read 22296 times)
vajra
Ex Member

Re: Neale Donald Walsch caught plagiarizing
Reply #45 - May 2nd, 2009 at 5:38pm

Depends what you mean by 'bringing comfort' R - presumably as in removing suffering from our lives. 'Clean living', or living through compassion and wisdom, and if not that at least by adhering to basic rules of conduct does tend to bring about less suffering, but good teaching in fact may well led us into places which are quite painful too.

So it's more about about helping to raise our insight and ability to live through love, than it is about reducing suffering.

It's all relative. There's a Buddhist saying that it's not unknown for a student to achieve realisation through devotion to a teacher that actually is knowingly or unknowingly a fraud. What matters (in the individual context) is the students internal situation and process.

It's possible that a knowingly fraudulent TV evangelist may assist many by e.g. introducing them to a valid and life changing view they otherwise would not have been exposed to, or that the teacher does not himself adhere to. That doesn't make them honest, it doesn't make them a suitable teacher for a student in different circumstances, and nor does it make it desirable that teachers in general be chancers.

Peculiarly enough though it's reckoned to be the setting aside of personal will and judging that leads to progress in such a situation, so having decided regarding a teacher there's choices to be made in this respect too.

But that doesn't mean that whether through luck, personal judgement or even a mixing of an ability to teach effectively to a level while simultaneously being on the fiddle that one of these guys may not do good for some.

The problem is to walk the line down the middle - to extract what is useful and helpful, and to withold judgement on what may not be.

We can as i said choose to avoid absolutely everything we don't regard as perfect, but (a) can we really judge this accurately, and (b) as above can we afford to do this?

Walsch's books are fact. (in that they exist) Were they divinely inspired, or the work of (say) a scheming charlatan? The point is that we can't ever know this for sure. Yet my own experience is that his books contain loads of solid and spiritually valid insights into life. Should the fact that (if indeed it was the case that he actually did plagiarise a bit of somebody's material) result in all of his stuff being dumped?

What would happen if we were to institute a law that teachers must be infallible, on pain of being banned and all their works destroyed? Who would decide? Is there even a remote possibility that they might get beyond personal bias, beliefs, interpretation and perception in deciding this? How many teachers' works (including the bible) would survive this process? How long would it take until competition started between opposing factions rooting for different teachers and/or interpretations, with the result that the teacher most favouring the strongest interest would eventually be deemed 'truth'?

How do we know with precision anyway what was taught and maybe more importantly meant by historical or even current teachers - given that what we are exposed to has been through multiple re-editings and re-interpretations?

It really doesn't matter what anybody says or does. We all live in our own reality as we travel forward in time, and we each have to decide what we accept and don't from the influences we are exposed to, and what level of certainty we apply to them.

Walsch could have been divinely inspired, been an imperfect (as is inevitable) channel, and at the same time thought he was hatching a get rich quick scheme  - all at once. (i'm for example a fan of his books, but was not enhusiastic about the pronouncements of the organisation he founded)

Our tendency to insist on infallibility is much more to do with ego and our liking for neat one size fits all answers than the complex and multi dimensional reality - it comes straight from our own mind, and is arguably the result of our having conceptualised (or been influenced by societal conditioning, or competing interests) and adopted the belief that teachers must be infallible to be the real thing.

Of course it's OK. It's happened, and given this our task is to figure out what's positive and what is not (if anything), and to respond appropriately to the situation. To say anything else is to refuse to accept the reality.

Not to mention that if we keep on throwing the baby out with the bathwater and we risk ending up like the spinster that never met a man good enough for her. But we're free to make that choice, or we can decide to move on to other sources - we don't have to persuade the world that we were right first....

« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2009 at 8:11am by N/A »  

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #46 - May 3rd, 2009 at 8:32am

PS Maybe i'm making it too complicated by trying to explain. What i'm trying to get at is that judging is an ego inspired response and not appropriate to these situations - it damages us, and it damages the target, and it potentially damages others by failing to see the good in any situation. (its essentially the nuclear option)

It's a form of attack based on an incomplete and selective perception of the reality. The above tries to set out some of the wider dimensions, but perhaps the most fundamental of all is that all concerned need treating with love. If only because from a higher view we are all one, and when we attack another we attack ourselves.

It's important to realise that as a fait accompli we didn't bring the situation about, and that it's inappropriate to deny it - that our task is to engage with reality as it is (that's why it has to be 'OK'), and to perceive it in its totality. And then to  respond wisely and compassionately - without acting out any preconception of the situation, and without attachment to our view.

The full spectrum of responses remain open to us, the difference is where we're coming from - what's driving us.

Our task is to deal with our own response, it's better that we leave other to sort theirs and especially that we don't attempt to impose our view on anybody else....
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2009 at 10:21am by N/A »  

IP Logged

betson

Afterlife Knowledge Member

SE USA
Reply #47 - May 3rd, 2009 at 9:19am

Greetings,

When Rondel brought up the concept of comfort, I began wondering if  an analogy would be appropriate--
Roll Eyes but I'll try it anyway --
If we came upon a starving person and all we had to offer was macaroni and cheese, would we hold back because we believe in more veggies, and less carbs? Would 'comfort food' be inappropriate?

Since we can't judge how developed the souls are that seem to need to hear these storytellers whom we find inadequate, should we deprive them of all but what we consider the best?

Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

betson

SE USA
Reply #48 - May 3rd, 2009 at 9:28am

Hi Lucy,

When is plagiarizing appropriate?  The word surely must exist for a reason.

I can think of several reasons plagiarizing could happen:
the footnote or other reference is left off due to carelessness, deceit, or a 'memory block' such  as Walsche says he had.
Or the writer may have thought certain information was common knowledge and needed no reference, but someone else judged it wasn't common knowledge.

Plagiarizing doesn't seem like a sin, it's more like bad manners to not honor the originator, imo.  ??

Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #49 - May 3rd, 2009 at 9:28am

Everyone that posted on this thread makes a good point. It is a matter of perspective. Seems to me the man that did walk on water also stated something about letting the one who is without sin cast the first stone.

My point is which one of us has never chosen wrong action because of having a wrong intent?

Anything less than understanding and forgiveness indicates your little ego is alive and well. What is it that you fear?

Love, Kathy

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #50 - May 4th, 2009 at 7:50am

Hi Kathy-

Well, let's hope that our egos are alive and well!  Surely you're not suggesting that egos are not a good thing?

Great people have done some pretty great things precisely because their egos were alive and well. And most of them had some pretty big egos!

I would bet that many if not most of the greatest inventions, whether they be technical or medical or whatever, have come about because of egos that refused to quit until their goals were reached.  

I would also imagine that if their egos were tiny, they would have long since given up.

You seem to draw a conclusion that if we are ego-driven, it must be because of fear.  Actually, when you think about it, ego and fear are probably inversely related.  Those who are fearful have small egos.  Those who persevere regardless of obstacles, in other words those who are fearless, no doubt have large egos.

And I know that being judgmental is contrary to new age thinking.  I would contend, however, that the whole notion of being nonjudgmental is essentially a cop-out. In fact, those who shy away from making judgments are also those who do so out of fear of either being wrong or of criticism from others. 

When we accept all beliefs, we end up believing in nothing at all.  Taking a stand on issues requires courage, not fear.

R

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #51 - May 4th, 2009 at 11:25am

Hi Roger,

Hmmm... it seems that you and I define ego differently. The development of ego is basically becoming self aware and in this sense I would agree that the "ego" gets a bad rap in new age theology. However, the ego in my definition and as it is used most often now days is basically what is commonly referred to as our "mask self" which is founded in fear.

I think what happens is that when we are born, we have a strong connection to an inner spiritual wisdom, what I usually call God. This connection gives us the feeling of complete safety that allows for the curious wonder and innocence that we have as very young children. As we grow this connection to spiritual wisdom fades and is replaced by parental voices that are intended to protect us and keep us safe. These voices speak of good and bad, right and wrong and teach us how to make decisions, how to act and react in varying situations, etc. As the child's connection dims his or her psyche tries to replace the original innate spiritual wisdom with a functioning ego, but because of the internalized parental voices, the mask self is produced instead.

The creation of a mask self is essentially an attempt to get back the feelings of safety we had before our inner spiritual connection dimmed. It is the lack of our inner spiritual connection to God that makes us feel deeply afraid in a mortal world. The only way to truly feel safe again is to find our way back to God... to rediscover who we really are, but I'm getting off track so back to the mask.

Depending on our beliefs, usually deep seeded ones that formed as a child is how the mask self develops and presents itself to the world in order to feel a connection with others, accepted and safe. However, it doesn't work. The mask can never succeed in producing an internal feeling of safety because the intentions of the mask are wrong intentions. The intent of our mask self (ego) is to try to protect ourselves by proving to the world that we are good. But it is based on pretense and denial and by not taking responsibility for negative thoughts and actions and the blame game plus a lot of other games ensues.

LOL... Roll Eyes I could probably write a book on the subject, but I'll spare all of you and stop here.

Kathy

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

identcat

New Hampshire
Reply #52 - May 4th, 2009 at 12:29pm

I rmember year ago when the book "The Towering Inferno" was written and at the same time "The Glass inferno" also was published.  There was a huge legal dispute that the person who wrote "Thel Glass Inferno" had stollen the story from "The Towering Inferno". 

When reading all the books I have read on parapsychology, several persons have stated that when a person receives and idea, it is not just sent to only one individual, but to many. Only a handful of those who are the receivers may follow up on the idea sent from the Ether and nature being what it is , may procede to write it down, word for word and duplicate (or more) the idea. History does back this theory.  A very simple example: have you ever grabbed something to wear and when you get into work, almost eveyone else has the same color on?? I always lay my clothing out the night before, so I say they copied me--- that I had the idea first!!! LOL

Hugs--- Carol Ann

The three things you can never take back:
The spoken word.
The unkind thought.
The misused hour.
identcat  
IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #53 - May 4th, 2009 at 12:52pm

Roger, I happened to think Don posted about humility and what he says here is basically what my post was getting at. Humility and compassion are basically the antitheses of ego. Only through a lack of fear and ego can one truly love and understand as Don indicates here.

Quote:
Quote Don:
"The meaning of "meek" must be understood in tendem with the first  beatitude: Blessed are the poor in spirit" (Matthew 5:3).  "Poor in spirit" clarifies the nature of true humility. We must be "emoty" of selfish ego to be filled with God's love and goodness.  Most of us walk around with a rubust self-image that we cnnsult when we feel the sting of criticism or when our own behavior challenges our self-concept.  To be poor in spirit is to be empty in spirit--empty of a fixed self-image that blinds us to our true behavior patterns.  In other words, we can't walk around carrying virtues like love. The crucial question is, how many loving acts have we performed recently?  

St. Paul expresses a similar point in his denial of his own spiritual maturity and the sarcasm he directs at believers who deem themselves "mature" (Philippians 3:12, 15).  Spiritual maturity implies that we are spiritually whole and complete.  But this notion only reinforces unseemly pride because it overlooks the fact that we are always works in progress.  Whatever acts of moral heroism we have performed in the distant past may be irrelevant to the kind of people we are today.

The "meek" are people who are "gentle" as a result of their humility in this sense.  St, Paul identifies "gentleness" as a manifestation of the "fruit of the Spirit," wothuot which there is no true love (Galatians 5:22-23).  The opposite of gentleness is assertiveness, which keeps our minds full of ego and manifests our need to feel right.  The human mind rarely admits that it is unequvocally "wrong" about moral and spiritual issues.  People will almost always counter with a defenisive "Yes, but..."  The meekness or gentleness of true love creates the space for others to discover if they are wrong at their own pace and in their own way.  

Don

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #54 - May 4th, 2009 at 1:51pm

Don:

I can't say that meeting Christ in the astral has been a regular occurence. I had what I refer to as my might in heaven experience years ago, and without meeting him in a personal way, I found out that there is truth behind his story. I couldn't precisely tell you all of the details.

There have been a few other occasions where I was visited by his spirit, but I wasn't in the astral at the time. It was a matter of allowing my awareness to open up so I could make contact with him.

Most of the time when I make contact with guidance, a name isn't provided. I believe a mixture is involved. Sometimes I make contact with my higher self, sometimes with a disk member, sometimes with Christ.  As long as the beings I make contact with live according to love and a higher purpose, it doesn't matter who they are. I figure Christ has lots of friends that try to accomplish the same thing he tries to accomplish.

Regarding Church, I figure a time comes when as opposed having a preacher, minister, reverend or priest tell one what one should believe, one will try to figure out for one's self. If I would've allowed a preacher to tell me what to believe, there is no way I would've made the spiritual progress I made. Not unless, the preacher told me to find out for myself.

I don't mean to suggest that preachers are never needed. If this is what a person wants, then this is what he or she wants. But a person doesn't become unholy when he or she realizes that the main church we need to make contact with is the church that resides within ourselves.

Churches have been around for years, yet the World is full of problems. Some of these problems are caused by people who attend churches.  They get more into condeming people such as new agers, rather than striving to love their neighbors as themselves.

If a person lives according to love, he or she doesn't need to go to church.

Here's a story I heard one time. I don't remember where it comes from. A black man was troubled because a church didn't allow him to become a member. Jesus told him, "Don't feel bad, I've been trying to get into that church for years."

Berserk2 wrote on May 1st, 2009 at 8:32pm:
Albert,

New Agers like yourself are continually making unwarranted assumptions about alternative approaches.  My definitions and explications, I believe, accurately portray New Agers as I've experienced them here and in public life.  But reply #22 does not label Roger, Matthew, or any specific poster as a New Ager.

Why do you imagine that you have often contacted the real Jesus in astral realms, but show no evidence of trying to understand Him or contact Him in the places He Himself indicated He could be discovered--i. e. the Church?  If I understand you correctly, you worship neither God nor Jesus.  Yet Jesus insists that we worship God and gladly accepts the worship of His followers.  Do you really imagine that the ecstasy you have experienced in mystical encounters trumps the need to understand who the historical Jesus actually was and what His trusted eyewitness followers transmitted from Him and taught about Him?  I ask this because you seem to acknowledge that Jseus was in truth who He claimed to be.  Or have I misunderstood your position?

Don

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #55 - May 4th, 2009 at 2:13pm

Don:

Regarding worshipping God, as you know, Jesus said to love thy lord thy God with all thy heart, all thy soul, and all thy mind. How can you completely love another being if you're in the worship mode? When you do so you put a barrier between yourself and that being. Shouldn't God be able to experience the same kind of intimacy that the rest of us experience? Would a being who lives completely according to love want to be regarded more highly than the beings he shares love with? To do so would be kind of egotistical.

I want God to be completely happy, and I appreciate greatly what he has done.  Because I believe he has the greatest good in mind, and knows how to achieve the greatest good, what he wills is important to me.

Think about it. If you were the first being to exist and you created many children to share love with, would you want them to worship you as if you were some kind of king, or would it be enough that they simply shared love, respect and humility with you, just as you share these qualities with them? Plus, if you understood that your children came from no other place than your own being, would you find it necessary to look down on them in some way, or would you realize that different parts of yourself have played different roles?

If a person truly lives according to principles such as love, humility, respect and grattitude, there is no need to add pretenses by making God out to be a being who desires to be worshiped.  Often people get into the worship mode, because they believe that loving God means that you have to fear him in some way. Love and fear don't go together.

« Last Edit: May 4th, 2009 at 8:02pm by recoverer »  

IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Reply #56 - May 5th, 2009 at 9:19am

Would I be a better teacher if I just pointed out that some of you guys here sound like those ladies on "Desperate Housewives"?

How do you learn to be transcendent by waggling your tongiues over Neale Donald Walsch?

Love isn't based on logic.

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #57 - May 5th, 2009 at 10:29am

Exactly Lucy.

In addition the human intellect does extremely well when it comes to gathering and interpreting information, but it is incredibly poor at utilizing the logical process.

Being logical to any significant degree seems to be beyond human capability even though most of us believe we are much more logical than what we really are. In fact we are just barely rational much less logical, especially when it comes to the most important aspect of spiritual growth, our relationships with others.

Kathy

IP Logged

Volu

Right here and right there
Reply #58 - May 5th, 2009 at 11:02am

Lucy,

Desperate housewives is more centered around body matters then what I see here.

Information is presented. Opinions are posted. The topic might be expanded along the way. what does one do with it, if anything. Might make a difference as to what one chooses to do. Or not. Or somewhere inbetween.

I know both feet and doormats, they're loving what they do, and they're still here.

Vegetarian is an old indian word for bad hunter.

IP Logged

Cricket

Reply #59 - May 6th, 2009 at 8:24am

How can you completely love another being if you're in the worship mode? When you do so you put a barrier between yourself and that being.

Someone (who was trying to use the possibility of meeting Jesus to awe my pagan daughter) asked her what she'd do if she met Jesus face-to-face.  She said she'd give him a big hug.

I thought that showed about the right attitude.   Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.