Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Read a word from OOB??? (Read 13542 times)
Berserk2

Re: Read a word from OOB???
Reply #15 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 8:51pm

Researchers in parapsychology have performed many lab experiments under controlled conditions to test the ability you have in mind.  Only one person has apparently succeeded--a Miss Z in an experiment run by Dr. Charles Tart.  Miss Z floated out of her body and read a random computer-selected 5-digit number posted on a shelf near the ceiling.  At the time, she was wired to measuring equipment that would have made fraud diifficult.  But it was later shown that she could have cheated by reading the numbers off a faint reflection from a clock on the wall.  In any case, she was unable to replicate this feat and replication is the foundation of experimental knowledge.   

I disagree with Dude about Robert Monroe's first book.  (1) During an OBE Monroe pinched a distant lady and the lady later showed him the red mark where she was pinched.  This interesting coincidence is not as evidential as it might seem.  People often feel pricking sensations.  Monroe does not prove that the woman's welt appeared at the same time that he was persent to her OOB. 

(2) Monroe later visited an OOB hospital where an old friend was observing a "medical" procedure.  Monroe didn't recognize his friend who was elderly at the time Monroe knew him.  But he later saw a younger picture and claimed that it was the younger version of his old friend that he had seen OOB.  But this might merely be wishful thinking based on poorly recalled similarities between the astral young man and the man in the picture.  In any case, none of Monroe's examples are remotely close to the evidential value of Miss Z's alleged feat of astrally reading specific words or identifying a computer-generated 5-digit number.   If Miss Z's feat is genuine, it raises the bar as to the clarity of perception required for an indisputable OBE claim.  Remember, all sorts of impressive ESP tests may been passed in studies of t he paranormal skills of regular dreamer who have not contacted alternate realities!

Don

IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Apr 10th, 2009 at 12:52pm

Well, as Don has pointed out before, the value of "proving" afterlife existence (other than the relief it would bring to countless millions of people whose loved ones have died) is quite simple: Proof would give credibility to this whole subject and would open the floodgates to serious researchers.

Just one example: If the public knew that retrievals were real and that they were an important service for we humans to do, there would far more folks doing them.

I don't think it's especially productive to say, as Dude and others do, that no proof is needed. Maybe not for him, but not all of us have had his experiences.

Note for Bruce- The fact that I'm told something by a deceased person that I would have no other way of knowing, and then I find out that what I was told turns out to be true......that does not constitute evidence of afterlife survival.

The reason is simple- there first needs to be an ironclad "firewall" that ensures 100% that I didn't already know the information and had long since forgotten it before my contact with a deceased person occurs.

I've been to your workshop, and have heard attendees report that they were told thus and so by someone they claim they contacted.

The thing is, neither you nor we can be totally assured that what they were told was not something they had already known but had forgotten.  They can say they didn't know, and may be totally sincere in that conviction, but that doesn't rule out the possibility that the information was stored in their subconscious long before the workshop.

Wanting proof is not something we should apologize for.  After all, the Wright Brothers wanted proof that a machine could fly.  They could tell anyone who would listen that it can, but until that day at Kitty Hawk, most would not have listened.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

IP Logged

Beau

Greenville SC
Reply #17 - Apr 10th, 2009 at 2:55pm

I think C1 is structured so that any proof would remain a subjective experience. If the imagination is defined as imaginary which it is to most, then so be it. It's not for everyone to know. Some people learn great lessons here because they believe they have one round on C1 then out like a light. Nothing. It may actually make some better people in the long run. I'm just saying that there is good reason for no empirical proof.

All the world's a stage...whose stage?--that is the question!...or is it the answer...Who is on first.
IP Logged

DocM

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #18 - Apr 10th, 2009 at 11:04pm

Roger,

I understand your point that even "verified information" may not mean proof of an afterlife.  Explanations such as "ESP" "mindreading" and the like are always brought up.  You say you would want a firewall to know that any information gleaned was not forgotten and then remembered.

Ah, if it were only that simple.  The fact is, that we are, at our most basic level manifestations of unique points of consciousness.  At times, it appears that we may access information that is known to the universe, but that we, as earthly individuals would have no way of knowing.  Cayce called this th akashic records.  Jung wrote of a collective unconsciousness.  In Monroe/Moen speak, there may be a hall of records or information center in Focus 27.

So how do we know if an ADC is an ADC or our own consciousness accessing this vast knowledge base?  How do we know whether a medium is speaking to our departed loved one, or accessing the information without true communication via ESP or another method of information gathering?  Where is the ultimate proof?  Some would say "we just know" when its real.  A subjective experience. 

That isn't very satisfying, is it?  Yet our conscious awareness must by its very nature be subjective.  Objective reality seems to consist of a physical plane where the rules are agreed upon by a multitude of individual points of consciousness.  These appear to us as unbreakable laws while we live (gravity, laws of physics, etc.).  Our rational minds like to make these laws immutable, yet we always seem to find exceptions that bend the rules.  Although we may cite certain laws in physical space as objective, we find that our own experience is always subjective. 

Take Don's dream,  for example, in which he wrote of having a lucid conversation with a person (perhaps a deceased friend or colleague- I don't recall exactly) at an outdoor cafe, and touching their chest to see if they were real.  On awakening, he knew it was just a dream.  Yet during his dream, for all intents and purposes, to his conscious mind it was his present reality. 

I put it to you that no one can ever pass your test of infallibility for afterlife communications.  One can always conjure up other plausible explanations.  What seems clear, beyond doubt, is that those who experience direct communications from loved ones appear profoundly affected and changed by the experience.  They feel the proof, apart from the confirmatory evidence.  And nothing can convince them that it wasn't authentic. 

Matthew

IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Apr 11th, 2009 at 9:24am

Hi Matthew-

Actually you and I are in agreement with the fundamental point I was trying to make....conclusive evidence of the afterlife really cannot be provided in the sense that we want.

That's why it's misleading to refer to the retrieval accounts posted on this website as representing verification.  They really don't verify anything other than the retrievers' own conviction that a genuine contact took place.  Not only are there too many variables, but we are obligated to take the truth as perceived by the retriever as our own truth about their conclusions.

So maybe we're just hung up on semantics.  I too experienced something when I was younger that, to me, is convincing evidence that a sphere of reality exists beyond our own physical plane.  In my case (which I detailed in a post some time ago) there was even a witness who watched the entire scene unfold.

But I would never characterize that experience as representing proof of anything because it simply doesn't.

I just wish that folks would be a bit more careful before using words such as proof or evidence unless they first qualify those adjectives.  As you say, they are subjective experiences and therefore shouldn't be characterized as representing objective truths.

Sometimes I think there's some sort of protocol that ensures we humans will never have the kind of objective evidence many of us want.  

Don's story about Leonard, who saw his deceased son in law suddenly appear and actually take the wheel of his truck and drive it while Leonard was sitting next to him.....well, if I were Leonard, I would instantly stop worrying myself over whether or not we survive death.

But since I'm not Leonard, and since Leonard had no witnesses, I will always have to wonder whether the whole thing was a lucid dream or a fanciful tale.

Having said all of this, there are researchers who are attempting to use valid scientific procedures to establish evidence of afterlife existence.  Maybe some day they will succeed, maybe not.  In the meantime, at least for me, the jury is still out.

R

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #20 - Apr 11th, 2009 at 6:24pm

Quote:
Quote Roger: Sometimes I think there's some sort of protocol that ensures we humans will never have the kind of objective evidence many of us want.

Yes exactly. It's called the psi uncertainty principle. I think spontaneous psi experiences are meant to wake us up to the possibility that there is more than what we experience in the physical world. I don't think there will ever be concrete, without a shadow of doubt, scientific textbook type of proof of the existence of an afterlife. As mentioned, it can only be experienced and interpreted subjectively. We are consciousness. Everything else are metaphors used to explain experience based mostly on culture and belief.

Kathy

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

Mark Andrew

Indiana
Reply #21 - Apr 12th, 2009 at 6:06pm

Okay, I'm with what these last several posts are saying, but then how does psychology work if not within the realm of subjectiveness?  I mean afterall you can't go inside someone else's consciousness or "look under the hood" with a mind.  You can look at the brain, but not the mind, if you accept my distinction.  Yet it's considered a science, isn't it?

Not trying to be a smart-youknowwhat or anything, just sincerely asking.

IP Logged

identcat

New Hampshire
Reply #22 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 12:35pm

Snoopydoo--- this is what I saw-howver, not in my house:
A tall  bureau, mans dresser, mahogany or very dark like mahogany in color. I think 5 drawers. On the top was a folded paper with the word READ on it.   Perhaps someone on the blog did put that paper there and hoped for one of us to "see" it.  I don't know which house I'm in. ---

Now how do I prove it?  Maybe someone here place such a paper on their dresser??? cat Tongue

The three things you can never take back:
The spoken word.
The unkind thought.
The misused hour.
identcat  
IP Logged

Snoopydoo

Gatineau, Quebec, Canada
Reply #23 - Apr 17th, 2009 at 1:50pm

Hi Cat,

Thanks for sharing your experience with all the others.

Contrary to others, you were at least ABLE to see a WORD whereas many people seem to say that it's not possible to see a word in a non-physical reality, so they seem to be contradictory to what you've experienced.

Has anyone confirmed to you what you have seen (the word READ in the decor you described)?

Thanks

Snoopydoo

IP Logged

Beau

Greenville SC
Reply #24 - Apr 17th, 2009 at 5:36pm

I do not consider Psychology a science. I would say it is an Art. There are no laws of Psychology that hold true for everyone and everything. I'm not saying it isn't helpful. It is therapy in the same way drawing a picture can be therapeutic. When you are dealing with the subjective realms it is an art, but there is an art to physics too, and certainly there can be a science to art but that art I find to be rather dull and predictable.

All the world's a stage...whose stage?--that is the question!...or is it the answer...Who is on first.
IP Logged

Snoopydoo

Gatineau, Quebec, Canada
Reply #25 - Apr 24th, 2009 at 12:34pm

Thanks to all of you for your input on this.

I would have loved for someone to tell me their story about this experiment...

IP Logged

Snoopydoo

Gatineau, Quebec, Canada
Reply #26 - May 19th, 2009 at 12:29pm

Just to let everybody know, I do often have dreams where I am fully able to read names and maps, etc. So, wouldn't someone OBE be able to read too?

IP Logged

Beau

Greenville SC
Reply #27 - May 19th, 2009 at 2:23pm

No one else's proof will ever suffice in this realm. Prove or disprove it to yourself, Snoop. I've never heard of anyone in OBE reading anything that corresponded with C1, because they are not in C1 when in OBE. I'd like to hear more about your dreams in which you've read something though. What did you read? Was it of any interest to you? Do you remember it upon waking? Can you remember your waking life while you are dreaming?

I have proven to myself my own existence outside of my physical body, but once you have done so, the thrill of proving it to someone else or even of talking about it with someone else is not as great anymore. Especially to someone who isn't interested in exploring for themselves...good luck, though. Perhaps you will find someone who will gratify your request one way or the other.

If you require a more scientific example read My Big TOE by Thomas Campbell or just go to his discussion board sometime. The flavor is a little different there, but the goal is pretty much the same.

IP Logged

Ralph Buskey

Brick Township, NJ
Reply #28 - May 19th, 2009 at 2:57pm

Hello Snoopydoo.

I just read this whole topic for the first time today. I can understand, being science minded myself, your need for concrete proof that oobe and afterlife exploration is genuine and real. However, I have learned that deductive reasoning through adequate research can be conclusive enough without direct evidence and personal experience being necessary for acceptance. I consider personal experience being the proverbial icing on the cake. I haven't yet achieved a full blown, self controlled oobe yet, but I'm patiently working on it.

Over the years (I'm 49 now), I have studied many religions, philosophies, the occult, metaphysical, new age, ufology, paranormal experiences by many authors, and modern physics discoveries confirming multiple dimensions.

I own and have read all of Robert Monroe's books and Bruce Moen's books. I've read many posts on this website since it was first formed. Most of what I have studied has improved my understanding of the big picture, which encompasses the physical worlds (C1), the focus levels, the higher planes, the lower planes, the animal and vegetable kingdoms, and probably more that I forgot to mention.

My personal experiences are very subjective and could possibly be reasoned away as just imagination. Combined with the knowledge obtained from many outside sources, however, this gives me an unshakeable belief in what lies both within me and beyond this physical world, which is merely a Pitstop on the Road to Eternity.

Ralph Buskey Ralph Buskey  
IP Logged

Beau

Greenville SC
Reply #29 - May 19th, 2009 at 5:38pm

Here's something for you Snoopydoo.

http://www.my-big-toe.com/phpBB34/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2915&hilit=

I found this today and I think it addresses what you are asking for better than anything else I've read to date.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.