Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hungry Ghosts Festival (Read 3085 times)
jl00

Hungry Ghosts Festival
Feb 14th, 2009 at 7:17am

In various societies, dominated by ethnic Chinese like Hong Kong, Taiwan and Singapore, the Hungry Ghosts Festival, which lasts for the whole of  the 7th lunar month, is usually "celebrated". It is believed that the gates of hell are opened during this month, and spirits of the dead are allowed to wander on earth for a month, often feeding on the offerings presented at altars by their descendants.

Interestingly, during this period of time, it is said that more accidents occur, and there is been increase of ghostly sightings(according to anecdotes).

The point I want to raise here is that most of the sightings and whatever paranormal experiences during the period seem to concern ethnic Chinese, and not other races, especially in a multiracial society in Singapore. The spiritual world that would be more active during that mo0 nth would consist of Chinese spirits including (both benign and eviland Chinese hell guards out to maintain law and order. Not like you would see an increase in activity in non-Chinese entities, leading some to ponder whether only Chinese entities get their one month leave from down below.

I am therefore wondering, therefore, about whether anyone could interpret such a phenomenon in terms of Belief System Territory. I somehow believe that such beliefs are created by ethnic Chinese minorities,and would not be surprised if I hear about the same phenomenon in San Francisco Chinatown....

IP Logged

betson

Afterlife Knowledge Member

SE USA
Re: Hungry Ghosts Festival
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2009 at 4:49pm

Your idea is somewhat of a shocker, ji00,
because when we get into this we have our own point of view /ego freed and we think we're beyond BSTs, IMO. 
But we just keep moving to getting the bigger picture, I think, and looking back we can see that we were bound by beliefs that we were unaware of.
Yes, I think these BSTs go on quite awhile before we get to see the Really Big Picture !  Cheesy

Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

carl

Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2009 at 7:41pm

Hi JI00, I'm going to assume it's true and give you my silly theory. Perhaps it's a way of showing them there's a better life than the one they are living in, like in those hellish states or lower planes like Slum City which many retrievers report of visiting and working in. I'm thinking here also that they are shown higher planes or focus levels, as well as visiting the physical level. Why did Jesus descend into hell after the crucifixion as reported in the bible? I was told to minister to those there that there was hope, if they wanted to change spiritually.

The ethnic Chinese or Asian races can be really, really cunning in a positive sort of way. Why settle for a single retrieval when you can do a mass one. Sincerely. Carl and Family

IP Logged

spooky2

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2009 at 10:15pm

I think this is an example of the connection of beliefs and perception. When someone is part of a community whose members share the same beliefs, it is even more effective, as doubts are diminshed. As far as I know, the common old Chinese folk-religion is focused much on ancestor worhip, or at least the presence of the ancestors and their influence on the living; because of this, Chinese ghosts/spirits and not others are appearing to the believer, as well because this belief is quite old, and to the time of it's origin most Chinese people simply knew only Chinese people and other folks were far away and weren't in question.
   In -at least- earlier days of Christendom, there was a similar happening at All-Souls' Day.

Spooky

"I'm going where the pavement turns to sand"&&Neil Young, "Thrasher"

IP Logged

carl

Reply #4 - Feb 15th, 2009 at 11:39pm

Well written Spooky. I was going to write about ancestor worship by the ethnic chinese but could not think what to write about, until now.

In the mid 1990's I went to a psychic/spiritual weekend in the country. While there I (with others) began talking to a chinese guy in his 20's. Apparently he had gone to one of the therapists/healers there offering their services. This therapist 'job' was to detect unwanted beings/points of consciousness/energies, in a persons aura then remove them. While working on this guy the therapist or healer detected discarnate family member(s) or relatives(s) in his aura. The healer also detected two or three 'official' spiritual guides.

When the chinese guy asked why these deceased relatives were there, the therapist explained that it was part of their culture that dead relatives 'help' the person they are 'possessing', in their physical incarnation. The therapist also stressed that this was contrary to spiritual laws, and that the job of helping him in his physical life lay with his 'official' and 'spiritually' appointed guides. The therapist also explained that these 'dead' relatives should have gone to their appointed place in the afterlife upon physical death. The therapist again mentioned that it was common in western culture too when 'dead' parents or grandparents, hang around or possess their children or grandchildren, wishing to help them instead of moving into the light. He/She stressed that self-appointed guides interfere more than help, thinking I know what's best for them.

I remember when he told us this experience outside. He had tightly folded arms across his chest which was puffed out, legs apart, and with a scowl across his face. I remember his words vividly. "If my relatives are there to help me, why should I have them removed!" he said with slight venom in his voice. Off course he declined the healers offer to have them removed. I'm wondering when this chinese guy eventually 'dies', will he do what his 'deceased' relatives are doing, out of a sense of family duty? Sincerely. Carl and Family.   

IP Logged

betson

SE USA
Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 10:28am

Carl said : "This therapist 'job' was to detect unwanted beings/points of consciousness/energies,...."

Thanks Carl!  It's great to have different people describing these experiences because your new (to me) wording has made an impact and helped my understanding of all this.

I also learned here that if attempting a retrieval of a chinese person, I'd first better get permission from all those concerned!

Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

spooky2

Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 9:37pm

Traditions one grew up with are very hard to change, as often they appear like something which is nature-given and unquestionable.

Spooky

"I'm going where the pavement turns to sand"&&Neil Young, "Thrasher"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.