Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
transcending the ego (Read 6306 times)
LaffingRain

Choose this Day

Arizona
Re: transcending the ego
Reply #15 - Nov 27th, 2008 at 7:39am

recoverer wrote on Nov 26th, 2008 at 6:04pm:
Another factor to consider is that if a person has too big of a belief in the ego factor, the ego will end up becoming a scapegoat. As opposed to dealing with the specific issues that cause a person to manifest in an undesirable ways, a person will say, "that's just my ego," and leave it at that. Labelling what limits us and shaping it into a paradigm ("theoretical" framework), doesn't lead to freedom.

scapegoating the ego is lazy I admit. If attaining freedom means getting rid of guilt, the only way to get rid of guilt is by returning to innocense by a paradigm which works by testing it out through experience.
the practice of theory must supercede the actual experience, which is self realization.
what is theory to one, is reality to another. the problem in communication within our society is the inability to share an emotion, unless you can sing good!

blogging can only go so far.... Wink

... Who takes away death's sting deprives life of bitterness
WWW http://www.facebook.com/LaughingRain2  
IP Logged

StarryEyedNoOne

Reply #16 - Nov 27th, 2008 at 6:19pm

This is a really great thread with a lot of interesting ideas, I think.  One of the things that really bothered me when I started studying spirituality was the idea that merging with the source means that I would BECOME the source, become the only thing there is, and have no one/nothing to interact with.  The idea gave me panic attacks! 

I like the way that Deepak Chopra put it once, though - to think of yourself as a cell in the body.  For some reason that made a lot of sense to me, because the good of the cell and the good of tthe body are completely entwined, separate but one, yes? 

Also, I've read a pretty amusing article once that said it is impossible to destroy the ego, simply because the desire to destroy the ego comes from an aspect of the ego itself!  "Ego vs. Ego - Ego wins!"  Grin and oh, oops, it's still there! Wink

"Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns and calls me on and on across the universe..." - Lennon&&

IP Logged

spooky2

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #17 - Nov 27th, 2008 at 8:38pm

Haha, you introduced a nice twist Starry!

"I'm going where the pavement turns to sand"&&Neil Young, "Thrasher"

IP Logged

LaffingRain

Choose this Day

Arizona
Reply #18 - Nov 29th, 2008 at 1:22am

that reminds me Starry, this friend of mine put it the same way, only he used desire as the idea, instead of the entire ego.

In some eastern schools, the idea was to red oneself of desire. yet that cannot be done either. for first you'd have a desire.
a desire to be without a desire.
therefore you would be chasing your tail.

same with the ego of chasing after the state of enlightenment and to claim to be unattached to anything.

we're in a body therefore we're attached to it. a better way to understand these things is to be unattached emotionally to the outcome of any situation and look at that as equanimity.

equanimity is to be in the world, but not of it, or to derive the best of two worlds. Here, and also there.

in a way, what I'm saying is, don't worry. because worry never accomplished the thing desired anyway. It either turned out good, or it turned out bad, and all the worrying done didn't make it turn out good (if it turned out good) what I then do, if things work out good, I wonder why I worried about in the first place?

so worry is a waste of time. I find I'm still quite capable of inventing problems that simply aren't there, lending energy to them and then finding out later I made it all up in my head. there was no problem.
this happens enough times, and equanity in the emotions takes place over time. the way I figure everything works out good in the end.
It was easier to explain as faith.

nobody wants to hear that word anymore. too simplified.

nice image Starry. welcome.

IP Logged

Alfred

UK
Reply #19 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 12:04am

Sounds like that good old "Grazing Posture" again, Alysia!

In Tom Campbell's MBT philosophy, though, we should be raising (evolving) the quality of our consciousness (lowering its entropy) by reacting with our free will to all the choices put before us in this physical matter virtual reality. Feedback received tells us if we're going in the right direction. Grazing through life might not be the best system in that scenario. My instinct has always been to keep my head down ("passive alertness", as Bets aptly put it once), but maybe I'd be better to get out there and start mixing it!!

Alfred

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #20 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 3:26pm

Stary:

I agree with what you wrote. I used to believe in the one self viewpoint, which is a real bummer if you think about it, but found that many many selves make up the oneness. Lots of fun and love for everybody for all of eternity.

The more we let go of our limitations so we can live according to love,  the more we can become aware of how connected we are.
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2008 at 9:18pm by recoverer »  

IP Logged

LaffingRain

Choose this Day

Arizona
Reply #21 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 10:29pm

Hi Alfred, I guess you'll have to explain what grazing philosophy is, because all I get is an image of a cow in the pasture.

I'm sure that's not what you meant? Cheesy

IP Logged

JustineS

Reply #22 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 2:51am

Hi Recoverer, what do you mean by the one self theory? Why is it a bummer? Are you referring to each of us having multiple selves?
just wondering Wink

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #23 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 1:37pm

Justine:

Some people have the belief that there is just one self, and the rest of us are nothing but a bunch of illusions. Some people and many spirits believe that there are many souls that do in fact exist and are parts of the oneness.  I used to believe that there is just one self all by itself. That changed after I really considered the matter and started to communicate with spirits and see what they have to say. These spirits have proven to be much more trustworthy than gurus that speak of just one self.

JustineS wrote on Dec 2nd, 2008 at 2:51am:
Hi Recoverer, what do you mean by the one self theory? Why is it a bummer? Are you referring to each of us having multiple selves?
just wondering Wink

IP Logged

StarryEyedNoOne

Reply #24 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 1:49pm

Here's a really great explanation video about the ego from Deepak's blog, if anyone is interested:

http://www.intentblog.com/archives/2008/11/tools_of_person.html

"Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns and calls me on and on across the universe..." - Lennon&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.