Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
buddha (Read 2337 times)
buddha01

Afterlife Knowledge Member

buddha
Nov 8th, 2008 at 4:47pm

What did buddha focus on to become inlightend?

thanks and hello.

bud

IP Logged

devayan

Australia
Re: buddha
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 3:03am

buddha01 wrote on Nov 8th, 2008 at 4:47pm:
What did buddha focus on to become inlightend?

thanks and hello.

bud

I could be facetious and say "ask Buddha"?How can anyone know what he did focus on??.However a good question anyway..At the very least I could say he would have focused on the inner self beyond all external Earthly matters.He would have gone deeper and deeper into the "Inner Self".He knew there was no answer by being focused on "Outer Matters" Is that your concern?.I would think that Buddha who was saddened by world consciousness went into meditation that took him far from the worlds pain.And then he awoke to the true beauty of Divine Mind.I only say this because I have seen it.
LOve Devayan.

Awareness is the Divine Key
oilyrag5608  
IP Logged

blink
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 11:49am

Buddha focused on how to find the solutions for human suffering.

He found a path for himself, and rather than remain 'alone' with this knowledge, he returned to those he knew to share it with, people like you, or any of us who is suffering.

"...The best of men, the one who sees.

This is the path. There is no other that leads to vision. Go on this path, and you will confuse MARA, the devil of confusion.

Whoever goes on this path travels to the end of his sorrow. I showed this path to the world when I found the roots of sorrow.

It is you who must make the effort. The Great of the past only show the way. Those who think and follow the path become free from the bondage of MARA.

'All is transient.' When one sees this, he is above sorrow. This is the clear path.

'All is sorrow.' When one sees this, he is above sorrow. This is the clear path.

'All is unreal.' When one sees this, he is above sorrow. This is the clear path."

The Dhammapada
The Path of Perfection
translated from the Pali
by Juan Mascaro

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 8:02pm

Who knows indeed. But the the teaching is that he sought release from suffering through an end to grasping (the pursuit of that deemed pleasurable, and the avoidance of that deemed unpleasant - through the replacement of these with equanimity towards all happenings), which entailed the dropping of attachment to self. (you care deeply about  everything that may affect you if you are attached to self, and become prone to justifying all sorts of selfish actions)

This entailed training the mind through endless meditation, and practices leading to the dropping of cares about personal comfort or anything else - in the hope that ego (the whole belief system as to the existence  of an objective self, soul and reality that follows from the mistaken perception that there is a self to be fearful about) and the karmic effects it gives rise to via the creative capability of mind would atrophy.

In this sense you could say he was actually avoiding focusing on anything - that he was groping towards what turned out to be the letting go of everything existing within this dream reality and existence as illusion. Actually seeking to awaken from the dream to return to the absolute or non dual existence outside of it.

The story goes that he determined to achieve this or die, and tried all of the usual sorts of extreme methods of fasting and so on that were taught in his day. But along the way discovered that excessive zeal is counterproductive, and becomes a trap in itself.

e.g. it leads to caring about the objective. If the personal objective is all that matters, then all kinds of unloving and other behaviours that lead deeper into suffering for the self and others can be justified - this is a  subtle form of attachment to self.

The other interesting aspect of his life was that coming from a background where for all of his very unhappy early life he had wealth beyond dreams, and was protected from exposure to all forms of suffering by being imprisoned by his father in a palace he learned that the usual pursuit of material wealth does not lead to happiness either.

As a result of his experience he taught a 'middle way', one that seeks release by lightly threading between the polarities in any issue, and seeking a higher, more loving, more developed view.

Hence Buddhism is known as the middle way.

The later Mahayana schools (perhaps risking excessive intellectualisation of what is essential a process of emergence - getting overly attached to intellectual views blocks the process as above) developed more detailed  representations of what this higher view means - most especially how the dropping of attachment and intellect (development of equanimity, or the forgiving of everybody and anything as ACIM teaches) leads to the emergence of wisdom, compassion and the other higher ways of being that enable loving behaviours.

Deepak Chopra has a very readable but also very insightful life of the Buddha out now - the title is 'Buddha'. It explores many of these issues in the telling of the story, and finishes by setting out the teaching in a more explicit manner. Well worth the read....
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2008 at 9:47pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #4 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 3:29pm

I believe it is a mistake to think in terms of enlightenment, because, when we do so we set borders on what is possible without really knowing what is possible. We do so according to our concept of enlightenment.

The best thing to do is to grow in love as much as we can by letting go of limiting thought patterns, old hurts, anger issues, fears, attachments and prejudices.

I will suggest one parameter. What good would eternal existence be if it didn't include love?
« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2008 at 9:21pm by recoverer »  

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 11th, 2008 at 1:33pm

For sure to focus on enlightenment as an objectively defined state is regarded as counter productive Recoverer. Buddhism teaches that to objectify it just drives more grasping after a mind made conception which inevitably is not the reality.

Growing in love seems indeed to be the outcome of the progressive falling away of our hang ups, these (hang ups) the result of our identification with self and this reality. But it seems that to be loving cannot be pursued as an objective either, or we end up grasping after that and falling into all sorts of traps too.

The approach is oblique. We work with meditation, study, realities, mindfulness of self and other practices which while not overtly aimed at such an objective indirectly result in the falling away of ego. Not by attacking it, but by not providing it with the fuel it feeds on to grow. (avoiding me, my, mine, they, them, that etc and the forms of judgement that drive separation and mental intensity -  progressively settling back into equanimity and just being)

To reveal our deeper loving spiritual nature - a nature which likewise cannot be and is not generated by pursuing it as an objective. It initially emerges in a slightly naive form, but with further insight and life experience this native compassion (which flows with related qualities from the higher self) gets combined with an emerging wisdom and knowing as to what represents the highest good in any situation.

This is the caring but not caring that often gets talked about, or indeed another expression of the middle way mentioned above. Finding a wisdom and compassion led path somewhere between but applying a higher level (more nuanced and wiser) view than the two extremes of an uncaring attitude, and an overly zealous attempts to behave in a loving way. Neither of the extremes is likely to lead to the highest good..
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2008 at 8:01pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 11th, 2008 at 8:43pm

'Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose......'

Smiley Janis Joplin

A seemingly negative seeming way of putting it when read from our normal perspective, but she was definitely on to something.
« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2008 at 10:00am by N/A »  

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Nov 12th, 2008 at 9:12pm

Pardon my banging away on this, but more from Janis that has so much relevance to what we're talking about, to what's entailed in becoming love:

'When I'm there I'm not here. I can't talk about my singing, I'm inside it. How can you describe something you're inside of?'

This is the way with all that comes from the heart, from the higher self. All else is just mime, acting. An attempt to play out a mind made  concept. The real thing is spontaneous, emergent, intuitive, unthinking and instinctive.

We're typically conditioned to respond selfishly. Our task is to work without worrying about achievement or objectives to shed this conditioning. This is subtly very different to role playing something that externally appears similar...

IP Logged

identcat

New Hampshire
Reply #8 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 12:45am

In Japan, they said that Buddah sat by a raging river and focused on manking the noise silent. When he was able to silence the river, then he reached enlightenment. --cat

The three things you can never take back:
The spoken word.
The unkind thought.
The misused hour.
identcat  
IP Logged

pedigree

Reply #9 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 4:41am

identcat wrote on Nov 15th, 2008 at 12:45am:
In Japan, they said that Buddah sat by a raging river and focused on manking the noise silent. When he was able to silence the river, then he reached enlightenment. --cat

Interesting Identcat, 
It is reported that in NDE's from Japan people report to have a choice to cross a river/stream or go back. A metaphoric interpretation based on the culture one assumes.
No "Pearly Gates" in Japan Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.