Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Practical vs. theoretical spirituality.... (Read 10528 times)
LaffingRain

Choose this Day

Arizona
Re: Practical vs. theoretical spirituality....
Reply #30 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 9:33pm

Rondelle said: Is it possible that the authors don't really know?  Because if they did, why wouldn't they tell us?
___

I agree. an experience is needed. nobody really knows for sure until an experience of death occurs for them, and even popular NDE's are colored by the belief system and expectations of the experiencer, but the person who has the experience, knows more than they did before they had the NDE, yet  the experience is not sharable in physical communication means, as language itself is insufficient.

it's like Kathy said, this is science, that observing something, actually that something changes with the observer observing it. change is absolute, even within religious terms and language.

Just read Bruce's comment to JustineS. to further this line of thought: Justine does not want to live forever. Bruce explained very well that in 5 years, she may change her mind, as we change our minds, that is what growing, learning is about. he said more and he talks much better than I about these things.

thank you Kathy for mentioning the guidelines. attack on another's belief system just continues to promote more attack. i don't see the point.

R, you are acting against the guidelines here, and also in off topics with this pet peeve you have. if you want to further your attacks I think off topics is a good place for you to do so. however, I'm finished with the subject myself. I am excruciatingly bored with this coming up so much.

... Who takes away death's sting deprives life of bitterness
WWW http://www.facebook.com/LaughingRain2  
IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Reply #31 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 11:46pm

Vajra

I am interested in your original post though perhaps not on the level you mean.

Though I did relate to that part about teacher as personal trainer  (I think that is what a guru really is...) because I have often thought as I watched my son go through public education, that it would make such a difference if each and every child could have a personal trainer for, say, English composition.

Now my idea of practical spirituality has changed over time. I used to think it revolved around trying to be Christlike (this is going back to my childhood in the Bible Belt before the Age of the MegaChurches) and acting like Jesus, and "Jesus went about doing good." You say the words and you try to turn them into flesh, or at least actions of the flesh. Actually that's not a BAD thing to do, unless you start trying to force your "good" on people who don't want it. And I recall Ram Dass coming back from India or wherever and talking about the Path of Service ..isn't that the same thing? I think the idea is that service to others is one of the paths to Enlightenment/transcendent spirituality.

Actually maybe it is important to remember that there can be many paths to the same place. They just all look so different. So I outgrew this frontier protestant appraoch, partly because I always wanted to be an intellectual, because I think all the time. I'm the queen of mind-brain chatter. Actually as I'm sitting here, I'm realizing that I don't really have a picture for what theoretical spirituality is. I guess I think what that is, is all the mind-brain chatter we use to talk about spirituality rather than live it. Can there be such a thing as Theory of Spirituality? I'll have to think on this more.

But what I'm getting to is, I caught the title 'practical spirituality' and immediately what I thought of was something I posted elsewhere on the board, something I want to learn, and that is my current idea of a manifestation of practical spirituality. I want to learb to bend spoons (or forks). I still haven't been successful. But that is my idea for now.

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 4:24pm

Hi Lucy, you may have some competition on the mind/brain chatter front!  Smiley

What I meant by theoretical spirituality is pretty much what you said - thinking and learned debate as a substitute for practical work - whether on the self, or in the external sense. Especially when it leads to a mistaken sense of accomplishment.

That's not to say that thought and a view on what we should be doing in either respect is not important - it's just that it can as above be such a self justifying trap, and become such a barrier to personal transformation and development.

I guess the sort of overly zealous frontier protestantism you describe is in terms of the spiritual path a sort of naive do-goodery based off an intellectual and fairly simplistic view of 'good'. As such it's (while practical action is hugely important) perhaps at the 'beginner' end of spirituality.

A deeper understanding of the nature of things, and much more important the empathy and knowing/wisdom that arise following life experience and internal self work (especially meditation) seem to lead on in to a much more intuitive, less clumsy and further seeing approach to living through love. A surer and subtler touch so to speak.

Buddhism would say that as a result of meditation and going inwards (the dimension of practical spirituality that delivers real personal transformation - and all else follows automatically from this) we reconnect with our natural knowing and empathy/compassion, and that these with experience increasingly enable us to manifest true wisdom and love/compassion  by 'skillful means'.

The interesting bit is that the actions of a highly realised person may appear to somebody operating at the more simplistic and rule based level to be wrong - when instead they are the result of a deeper seeing.

The range of ways we receive insight and open as we go inwards (or just through life experience) is as you say mind bogglingly varied -  study, meditation, contemplation and the like seem to be important tools, but heaven knows what the personal path will be. (it can perhaps be described at the general level, but that's not much help on a day to day basis)

This I guess is as you say where a teacher who can read your situation and see past your blind spots comes in, or failing that a self work manual and a lot of self enquiry.

Smiley When you reach the point where you can bend the forks I guess that would certainly mean you've dropped any limiting beliefs you had about the nature of the physical reality, and are operating well beyond it. That would suggest progress, but Buddhism would say that it's a catch 22 problem - if you get hung up at all on needing to achieve the objective then by definition you are bound by ego and it's belief systems which will prevent it. Also that the pursuit of 'powers' can as a result of so to speak 'taking the eye off the spiritual ball' lead to problems or block progress - it implies the ego is back in the driving seat.

My own experience has been that meditation and so on produced slow but big changes when seen over the years, although illness and life crises have been important openers too.

It seems too that not only are our paths highly varied, so too are the timescales. Some seem to progress very rapidly, others it's said take many many lifetimes. It seems that the trick is to simply work day by day, that as above to get all hung up and objective driven is likewise to block progress.

Just some personal and borrowed views.....

IP Logged

LaffingRain

Choose this Day

Arizona
Reply #33 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 4:38am

thanks to Kathy, Lucy and Ian/Vajra getting the thread's purpose back on track as I'm back inspired to continue off your leading thoughts.

I'm not bored anymore in other words..lol..due to your input.

Lucy, you're mentioning spoon bending and Ian's response reminds me of when I was seeing if I could win the lotto, if I had that power to see the numbers. what happened is I did see 4 out of the 6 numbers; from working at it every day. on a spiritual level, that I had this power scared me so bad, I gave up the effort and decided to go get some money by going and getting an actual job. lol. seemed more spiritual, whatever!

so I still don't think it's wrong to try and bend a spoon, as did that too once and failed miserably. I think though, people who levitate, bend spoons, win lotto consistently (there are people who consistently win the lotto and it's more than luck) I think they are working in psychic areas as opposed to purely spiritual areas, as for the life of me, I can't figure out if I did learn to levitate, what good that does for the rest of the curls out there, if I couldn't show them how to do it too; and I'm sure levitators cannot explain it to us either. but I'd say to them, by all means, demonstrate the power of the mind, just don't make me pay money for to see! I'm tight.

Ian to my pov is consistent with what he gives us, and I appreciate it. basically he promotes meditation as a transformation tool and now he has added that getting experience here in ELS goes hand in hand with meditation, self discovery and differentiating between psychic gifts and true spirituality. there is a fine line between gifted psychically, and being wrongly proud of that gift, which can cause not PUL experiences, but ego reinforcement and subsequent lumps on the old noggin. bad ego! bad! lol.
Meditation takes care of the over exuberant ego. as a matter of fact some of you plunge me into an altered state, some of the things you share, which seem to go unnoticed by the general clientele.

Just want you to know I notice your love.

the same, Ian, my experience also showed me the slow changes, but which were significant changes..so life in that sense is certainly worth living even with slow changes towards ..whatever we are going towards, I'll say, as I heard it said so many different places, that enlightenment, to go towards our full potential in that respect, I would agree with my heart, and those sources where I feel at one with what I'm picking up, when a person is the more consistently expressing Love, that it is the highest we can achieve.

nothing else satisfies, quite as well, as feeling love.

and these are my personal and like Ian says, borrowed views, but don't be so humble Ian, you're doing fine!
I like the way Ian says one day at a time, it's one of my favorite tunes to signify living in the now moment, as really guys, what else is there, but the now moment?

tomorrow is promised to no one.

hugs

... Who takes away death's sting deprives life of bitterness
WWW http://www.facebook.com/LaughingRain2  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.