Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What is Unconsciousness?? (Read 5026 times)
devayan

Australia
What is Unconsciousness??
Sep 29th, 2008 at 3:54am

Hi gang   its been so long since I did a post I guess I am completely forgotten.Never mind,
What  exactly is unconsciousness?
Where does awareness/consciousness disappear too when one is asleep,under anesthetic, coma caused by heart attack etc.
People will say for eg.  "I saw this car rushing at me and the next thing I knew was I woke up in hospital bed."
And yet others somehow keep some form of awareness  i.e   NDE's.
I have heard the term "clicking out" of course in the Bruce's books,but what does that really mean?
I was rendered unconscious by a Chinese practitioner in China a few years ago it was what he called " a treat" which he would give to some people after their massage .He just gently pushed his hands into my neck with a slight upward pressure and I was "Extinguished"!! no fading like going to sleep it was instant..If I never recovered it wouldn't have mattered to me,I had ceased to exist.How can this be so complete and so total?
Coming back to consciousness was one of the weirdest experiences I have ever had.It was nothing like say waking up after a good nights sleep. The first awareness was  the sound of people's voices I had no idea who they were or where I was.Everything was alien to me.I felt so strange it was like coming off an acid trip if anyone knows what I mean ,something like that anyway. Slowly memory  came back of where I was and who all the people were.You could say I had never experienced that depth of unconsciousness .I have had anesthetic which was quick too...Anyway I'm rambling on too much.Looking back I felt it was a very valuable experience,I think I felt that something more had happened than just unconsciousness if more was possible when one has been extinguished.Theres a confusion here.
I am interested to get some juicy answers to what many of you may think is a simple question.
Love to all Cheesy
Cheesy

Awareness is the Divine Key
oilyrag5608  
IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Re: What is Unconsciousness??
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2008 at 6:43am

Hi Dev, and welcome.

Having been down the accident route several times and had multiple surgeries too this is a question I've pondered as well. To the point of trying to hold on to consciousness as an anaesthetic was given to me before surgery (the initial injecton) - although with no luck, I just blacked out. (probably just as well Roll Eyes)

My best guess is that what we perceive as self consciousness is just a dream run by the much larger, more collective and higher aspect of mind (still a part of ego) we don't normally have conscious access to unless we're a very accomplished spiritual practitioner.

That dream it's taught is designed to keep us bound to this reality - to have us believe that this world/universe is the only reality, leading to beliefs and attachment which further reinforce this. The thinking intellect, brain and body are a part of the reality too.

My best guess is that we black out in incidents like you describe because whatever happens shuts down the thinking intellect - which is all we're truly aware of in this dream.

That doesn't mean we don't have all sorts of existence at higher levels we're aware of too (but in some other state), but the analogy I've heard is that it's like waking up from a dream - we snap (or as you say 'click') from one reality to the next and in the normal state don't necessarily retain any memory of the last.

This is possibly similar to snapping from an OOB state back to normal awareness - the skill we're trying to learn to go OOB is surely not how actually to do it (we seem to do it all the time), but rather to retain awareness is our normal state of consciousness while we are doing it.

That's just one view, be interested to hear what others have to say. That Chinese gentleman sounds interesting, especially if he has a real understanding of what he's doing...

IP Logged

betson

Afterlife Knowledge Member

SE USA
Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2008 at 10:08am

Greetings Devayan,

Thanks for sharing here again!

Do you think possibly that you did 'click out' during the Chinese treatment, that perhaps the healer put you into a higher realm that you were unable to think about / consciously accept ?

A US chiropracter once knocked me out while adjusting my neck. As I came to he was across the room, talking about being in a bunny suit for a children's Easter celebration. Now that's how I see him in my mind's eye--over 6' tall in a bunny suit. Like the power of suggestion imprinted my mind's eye while i was not quite conscious. --

So it seems like the transititon phases of consciousness also have a power, or a confusion, until we land back in our accustomed frame of mind. I guess that's why we're not supposed to meditate or go OB etc any time when we could be interrupted.

That's off-topic-, but as close as I could get to it   Smiley

Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2008 at 11:32am

Hi Bets. Another way of looking at it may be that the question of what's 'me' or 'I' and what's intelligence is not as definite as we perceive it in C1 consciousness in this life.

Meaning as you say that higher levels of consciousness entail higher more collective sorts of awareness and different varieties of knowing which as you say may not translate back to C1 understanding.

And as above that inasmuch as we migrate between states we normally click out of one into the other with little residual awareness....

IP Logged

Romain

North/West Coast
Reply #4 - Sep 29th, 2008 at 6:18pm

Quote:
Meaning as you say that higher levels of consciousness entail higher more collective sorts of awareness and different varieties of knowing which as you say may not translate back to C1 understanding.
And as above that inasmuch as we migrate between states we normally click out of one into the other with little residual awareness....

Interesting..would'n it be nice if we can access our HSelf/Disk and keep all the memories/information every times we wake up..Smiley
We can access our Disk but to remember or bring back that knowledge to  C1 is a different ball game.
r.

IP Logged

devayan

Australia
Reply #5 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 1:28am

betson wrote on Sep 29th, 2008 at 10:08am:
Greetings Devayan,

Thanks for sharing here again!

Do you think possibly that you did 'click out' during the Chinese treatment, that perhaps the healer put you into a higher realm that you were unable to think about / consciously accept ?

A US chiropracter once knocked me out while adjusting my neck. As I came to he was across the room, talking about being in a bunny suit for a children's Easter celebration. Now that's how I see him in my mind's eye--over 6' tall in a bunny suit. Like the power of suggestion imprinted my mind's eye while i was not quite conscious. --

So it seems like the transititon phases of consciousness also have a power, or a confusion, until we land back in our accustomed frame of mind. I guess that's why we're not supposed to meditate or go OB etc any time when we could be interrupted.

That's off-topic-, but as close as I could get to it   Smiley

Bets  

Hi Betson....thanks for your response.
There's nothing like asking questions to get your answers from out and in.Your comment about "returning to our ordinary frame of mind" may have a lot to do with "unconsciousness".Quite a few so called enlightened teachers have all said that we are always conscious even when asleep,they say "why do you say "I have been asleep" if you weren't aware on some level of being asleep"?.I have a feeling that has come to me since I put out this question and the this this....Pure awareness without some confining, organizing, limiting structure would be awake in the totality of all creation.Therefore awareness (us) needs numerous levels of planes or Focus levels to function in a more localized manner .Like stepping down the area of consciousness until it reaches our own Earthly dense space time level.So unconsciousness is most likely a state where the Soul/Astral Being is not in space time nor the next level up,what is commonly called astral....so awareness does not have a level to function in so temporary unconsciousness.The many levels are mostly in what we call the quantum level now.I feel I have answered my own question now in part.Thanks for the input.

oilyrag5608  
IP Logged

betson

Afterlife Knowledge Member

SE USA
Reply #6 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 9:48am

That's fun, isn't it !?
To answer your own questions !
It shows how fast you are developing your spiritual understanding too, with these neat dated posts.  Looks like in 35 hours Devayan answered his own question and provided focus for others!  Cheesy  Yay!

I see it better now too, from what you all have said. We're never really UN-conscious, just conscious elsewhere.

Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

Romain

North/West Coast
Reply #7 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 10:00am

betson wrote on Oct 1st, 2008 at 9:48am:
That's fun, isn't it !?
To answer your own questions !
 Cheesy  Yay!
Bets

Yes Bet i agree; when we do get in touch with guidance it's just a matter of asking and normally you get a clear answer if we listen..
Cool  for Guidance.
PUL R.

IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Reply #8 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 1:07am

devayan

Are you familiar with Eckart Tolle's first book? Did you read the first part, in which he talks of being in a bad state of depression, and he thinks he could not live with himself any longer. Then he decided that was a strange way to think: he syas:
"Am I one or two?If I cannot live with myself, there must be two of me: the 'I' and the 'self' that 'I' cannot live with."
He then questions whether only one of them is real. For him this was like running into a brick wall. His mind stopped. The state that many try to achieve, stopping the mind-brain chatter, he obtained through questioning himself in a bad state of depression. He had a transforming experience from this.

When you are unconscious, you lose your awareness of self. But that isn't the same as losing your ego. Wonder why not.

IP Logged

devayan

Australia
Reply #9 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 3:30am

Dear Lucy
Thanks for your response...Yes I have gone deeply into our dear friend Eckardt Tolle. I understand what he says very deeply.Firstly I am not depressed so don't need to take that road,i.e. the two I's..etc.
However lets mention the sometimes judged element "Ego" Ego is a structure for living on the Earth Plane..Actually I don't think you can do without it.Its like the house you live in.The problem with most egos is the fact that it emerges from childhood ;its the foundation of our conditioning,all that we were brought with,our language, our school education,our parents values or lack of...etc. etc. our hurts.
So one's ego when arriving at adulthood is often a bloody mess of confusion,false values and beliefs and cultural ignorance  plus much more that takes too long to write about here.You know what I mean I am sure.So a time comes to many of us through often stressful and painful life experiences we a re led to have a deep look into this "ego"; a time to explore the make up of that structure that we came to know as "I".The moment that decision is made the ego starts to change /modify...the very looking involves awareness as Eckhardt says so beautifully,who is looking at the house "I*" am living in?. So we embark on a life long path of inquiry.What riches we uncover eh?We come to a point where we have the realization that we are an infinite being trying to fit into a limited house/ego that was built by our forbears who generally knew nothing more than that shape or size, that limitation which they didn't see as a limitation.They passed on all that they knew and didn't know.So we arrived with a bag of wisdom and ignorance.Our path and challenge is to find the Truth and Love and Wisdom, that was always there behind the noise of Maya/Illusion.
BTW...how do you become a "Super Member"?
That is what I want to share today..
Love from Devayan.
ps. therefore I feel./know that the ego is a Matrix that can constantly evolve and change as we continue to explore the essence of our Being.This and only This will change our Planet into a state of PUL.The challenge then is always to be open to breaking out of the Ego Matrix over and over again.And I am sure you know that everytime we break out of the Matrix we suffer a  what I call "A Little Death"! Its the only way so we always have to confront "Death"We can't leave our current Matrix without going through a form of death/surrender/letgo..Not always easy.I like you get very comfortable with our current status.Its hard to leave the "Comfort Zone" and surrender to the 'Great Unknown".But what a Divine Path awaits us.A spiritual Warrior will make great gains by facing "Death"

oilyrag5608  
IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Reply #10 - Oct 4th, 2008 at 12:17pm

You said:

"What  exactly is unconsciousness?
Where does awareness/consciousness disappear too when one is asleep,under anesthetic, coma caused by heart attack etc."

and I am trying to understand an answer in the context of what Tolle wrote on the way he experienced the disappearance of his ego. Since I have not been there, or at least gotten there by my own will power, I have to toy with these ideas.

Yes the ego is what looks out and copes with the oncoming car, deciding whether it is in the correct lane and safe to go forward! We cannot function without it in C1!

So based on what Tolle wrote, he went unconcious (he was going to sleep when his original experience happened) and when he woke up, everything was different. I go to sleep every night, and when I wake up, well, it isn't different the way it was for Tolle. So I am wondering, did his ego do something different when he was unconcious than mine does? Do we take the ego into the unconcious state more than we realize?

Most of us don't have catastrophic transformations; we don't go the route of seeing the light on the way to Damascus. Most of us go a path of approximations. We change gradually, step by step. (But sometimes we fall into thinking our little step changes are the same as seeing the light on the road to Damascus. We get in trouble then!)

BTW: "Super Member" just means you have a tendency to run over at the mouth and post a lot!

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #11 - Oct 4th, 2008 at 12:52pm

Hi,

Unconsciousness is just a blank in your physical (your brain) memory. You will remember everything one day as I did in my nde life review.

Nothing is really forgotten. Everything is retained in your ethereal higher self.

Take Care

Alan

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

alchemist

Brisbane
Reply #12 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 8:47am

I'm an Eckhart Tolle devotee also and feel the same way. I especially like the way you have put your own resultant experiences into words, Devayan. Mine are similar but not so eloquently described!

devayan wrote on Oct 3rd, 2008 at 3:30am:
Dear Lucy
Thanks for your response...Yes I have gone deeply into our dear friend Eckardt Tolle. I understand what he says very deeply.Firstly I am not depressed so don't need to take that road,i.e. the two I's..etc.
However lets mention the sometimes judged element "Ego" Ego is a structure for living on the Earth Plane..Actually I don't think you can do without it.Its like the house you live in.The problem with most egos is the fact that it emerges from childhood ;its the foundation of our conditioning,all that we were brought with,our language, our school education,our parents values or lack of...etc. etc. our hurts.
So one's ego when arriving at adulthood is often a bloody mess of confusion,false values and beliefs and cultural ignorance  plus much more that takes too long to write about here.You know what I mean I am sure.So a time comes to many of us through often stressful and painful life experiences we a re led to have a deep look into this "ego"; a time to explore the make up of that structure that we came to know as "I".The moment that decision is made the ego starts to change /modify...the very looking involves awareness as Eckhardt says so beautifully,who is looking at the house "I*" am living in?. So we embark on a life long path of inquiry.What riches we uncover eh?We come to a point where we have the realization that we are an infinite being trying to fit into a limited house/ego that was built by our forbears who generally knew nothing more than that shape or size, that limitation which they didn't see as a limitation.They passed on all that they knew and didn't know.So we arrived with a bag of wisdom and ignorance.Our path and challenge is to find the Truth and Love and Wisdom, that was always there behind the noise of Maya/Illusion.
BTW...how do you become a "Super Member"?
That is what I want to share today..
Love from Devayan.
ps. therefore I feel./know that the ego is a Matrix that can constantly evolve and change as we continue to explore the essence of our Being.This and only This will change our Planet into a state of PUL.The challenge then is always to be open to breaking out of the Ego Matrix over and over again.And I am sure you know that everytime we break out of the Matrix we suffer a  what I call "A Little Death"! Its the only way so we always have to confront "Death"We can't leave our current Matrix without going through a form of death/surrender/letgo..Not always easy.I like you get very comfortable with our current status.Its hard to leave the "Comfort Zone" and surrender to the 'Great Unknown".But what a Divine Path awaits us.A spiritual Warrior will make great gains by facing "Death"

Mark
  Ω
--:--

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #13 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 11:06am

Your eyes are deceiving you there are no letters on the monitor I do not exist and neither do you, so it is impossibly for you to read what you think you are reading

To progress “we must know what we don’t know” and teach ourselves the hidden wisdom

To describe unconsciousness oblivion, forgetfulness coma, one must be able to describe exactly what consciousness is, awareness, wakefulness is and nobody knows what that really is

It is the flow of memes in the physical brain, but what the heck it is in the soul I just like everyone else have absolutely no idea.

Maybe I am just a figment or thought in the mind of god, or maybe I am just a figment in the group mind of the forum.

Maybe if you stop thinking about me I will cease to exist and vanish. Maybe when I am no thinking about you vanish and don’t exist

I am not aware of you how can I be sure you a real and concrete and visa versa

If I die and you think about me do I still exist?

Nobody wrote this post so there are no words in it and you did not read what is not there.

If you can read it you are hallucinating, blue is really red and white is black. You cannot perceive me or any of my actions as I have never existed. Prove that I exist then you will know what consciousness is.

When you try to observe me I’m not there, when you turn your head I impact on reality. What is real? The body is nothing but seething emptiness and you try to attribute to this mist consciousness. How much less can this empty mist achieve unconsciousness. There is no such state in non reality

When you look for me I vanish , when you stop looking for me I stand in front of you

Everything is a great mystery impossible to understand but simple and easy

I am only a phantom of your mind

Or maybe I am a sleeping god and as I begin to wake up the universe which is just my dream will begin to dissipate and the stars begin to go out one by one until there is nothing but abysmal nothingness as I retract into myself in to the nothingness of the original singularity.

I am everything, infinitely huge embracing all but I am also just a dimensionless singularity point particle infinitly small and of infinite intelligent energy .

Who the heck am I? say to myself as soon as I find the words

Oh!! Now I remember!!

Oh!! Yes!! I AM WHO I SAY I AM

"I am a devotee to no one but myself"

"I think therefore, I am"

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

blink
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 4:01pm

I suppose I like to look at this question from an opposite expression: what is consciousness?

I believe that consciousness is awareness of the love/unity that underlies all personal experience. I think conscious awareness is a gift. Sometimes it is a gift that comes out of the 'silence' that we seek, and sometimes it is a gift that comes out of the 'silence' that we find by accident.

If there are accidents. Perhaps there are no accidents, but only experience. I don't claim to know what is true, regarding any special plan. Maybe we are the plan. I could ramble on like this for hours. But I'll spare you. Smiley

devayan wrote on Sep 29th, 2008 at 3:54am:
Hi gang   its been so long since I did a post I guess I am completely forgotten.Never mind,
What  exactly is unconsciousness?
Where does awareness/consciousness disappear too when one is asleep,under anesthetic, coma caused by heart attack etc.
People will say for eg.  "I saw this car rushing at me and the next thing I knew was I woke up in hospital bed."
And yet others somehow keep some form of awareness  i.e   NDE's.
I have heard the term "clicking out" of course in the Bruce's books,but what does that really mean?
I was rendered unconscious by a Chinese practitioner in China a few years ago it was what he called " a treat" which he would give to some people after their massage .He just gently pushed his hands into my neck with a slight upward pressure and I was "Extinguished"!! no fading like going to sleep it was instant..If I never recovered it wouldn't have mattered to me,I had ceased to exist.How can this be so complete and so total?
Coming back to consciousness was one of the weirdest experiences I have ever had.It was nothing like say waking up after a good nights sleep. The first awareness was  the sound of people's voices I had no idea who they were or where I was.Everything was alien to me.I felt so strange it was like coming off an acid trip if anyone knows what I mean ,something like that anyway. Slowly memory  came back of where I was and who all the people were.You could say I had never experienced that depth of unconsciousness .I have had anesthetic which was quick too...Anyway I'm rambling on too much.Looking back I felt it was a very valuable experience,I think I felt that something more had happened than just unconsciousness if more was possible when one has been extinguished.Theres a confusion here.
I am interested to get some juicy answers to what many of you may think is a simple question.
Love to all Cheesy
Cheesy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.