Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Boston Globe Article heaven hell afterlife evil et (Read 2456 times)
Alan McDougall

South Africa
Boston Globe Article heaven hell afterlife evil et
Jul 25th, 2008 at 4:52am

Heaven, Hell, Evil, Afterlife, "Globe Article"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fewer Americans believe in hell than in heaven

Michael Paulson covers religion for the Boston Globe, where a version of this essay first appeared. He can be reached at mpaulson@globe.com

"People are increasingly less willing to say, 'I have the truth, and you either have my truth, or you're going to hell,' " said Nancy Ammerman, a professor of the sociology of religion at Boston University.

"People are increasingly less willing to say, 'I have the truth, and you either have my truth, or you're going to hell,' " said Nancy Ammerman, a professor of the sociology of religion at Boston University. Evil is always a hot topic among people who study religion, and it's one of the big questions people always grapple with –

'If there's an all-powerful God, why is there a holocaust?' " said Bart Ehrman, a professor of religious studies at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

"People who believe in hell still think that if God is a just god, he has to punish evil," said Dr. Ehrman, who is the author of God's Problem: How the Bible Fails to Answer Our Most Important Question – Why We Suffer

10:06 AM CDT on Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Life is hell, or so the expression goes, but for many Americans, the afterlife is looking up.

The recent release of a sweeping study by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life confirmed a long-developing trend in popular cosmology: Belief in heaven is outstripping belief in hell.

The Pew survey, significant for the breadth and depth made possible by its unusually large 35,000-person sample, found that 74 percent of Americans say they think there is a heaven, "where people who have led good lives are eternally rewarded," while just 59 percent think there is a hell, "where people who have led bad lives, and die without being sorry, are eternally punished.

"At first blush, the idea of a God who rewards good but does not punish evil seems counterintuitive, after centuries in which one of the key benefits of eternal salvation – and one of the promises of conversion to Christianity – was the avoidance of eternal damnation.

But hell experts – and yes, there are scholars who spend this life studying the next one – say the underworld has been losing favor for some time. Since the Enlightenment, a liberalizing trend in religion has favored conceptions of

God as benevolent, rather than judgmental. But also, there are peculiarly American characteristics to this emerging hell gap: an insistent optimism, perhaps a kind of cultural self-contentedness, and a tolerance born of diversity that makes damning the other more problematic.

"Hell is for nonbelievers, and most Americans don't believe there are nonbelievers next door, even if their religion is different," said Alan F. Segal, a professor of religion at Barnard College and the author

"In the body of literature about hell, you see a range of punishments," said Martha Himmelfarb, a professor of religion at Princeton University and the author of Tours of Hell: An Apocalyptic Form in Jewish and Christian Literature.

"Some are measure for measure, so if you blaspheme, you get hanged by your tongue, while others are lakes of fire or pools of excrement and horrible fluid that people are sunk in," she said.

Any comments?

This subject has generated huge debate over the years, but I do not see why our little forum cant tackle the problem

Regards

Alan

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

blink
Ex Member

Re: Boston Globe Article heaven hell afterlife evil et
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 8:31am

I cannot help but feel that imagining another's "hell" is one of the silliest uses of time for a human being.

It is amazing to me that people derive any comfort whatsoever from the idea of another's hell.

But they do.

It's a lie. Don't listen to it. When people spin stories of hell, it makes me laugh. It's their own special little place, in their own imagination, and they can't seem to wait to see it.

It's like a scary story that people tell to frighten themselves.

It's a way to say, when I'm done with my suffering here on earth, someone's going to be sorry.

Well, good, but why do you care? Aren't you more interested in floating and swimming and flying and dancing and finding all the love there is?

I've got some friends, and I think that place deserves to be empty. That hellish realm. That silly dream.

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 9:23am

Blink and others

I started this thread because more thinking religious people are at last moving away from the awful belief in a psychopathic god who wants to punish in an infinite way in an everlasting eternal hell, for a tiny minute finite human transgression or sin

I am not religious and never have been but I have also never excluded from my thinking that the universe and us might be the result of an infinite intelligent designer and god is as good a title, for this.

"First Thought",

"Mystical Infinite Being",

"Original mind",

"Uncaused Cause",

"Omega and Alpha Points",

"Immovable Rock" "Source and Sustainer"of Everything"

"The Sublime"

"Creator"

"Ever Existing One"

"Reason for Existence" ect etc.

In fact I much prefer Indian pilosophy to that of most western aproaches

Of course, those who claim exclusive ownership god do not like the idea that he could be forgiving, loving and not at all judgmental.

I despise this type of excuse narrow-minded nonsensical view of god, and I think so do those people who have an atheistic point of view on our forum.

I think would agree that if there were a god he would have more intelligence than to torment a poor little finite entity like me forever.

An analogy perhaps I silly one at that, if for me to keep a cockroach alive forever because it acted outside cockroach law as I had restricted them to.

I know this is a silly metaphor but if there is a god and he is infinite, then we must be much closer to a cockroach, who is finite like us than we finite beings are to an supposed infinite being called god

These people who appear at our front doors uninvited telling us that unless we believe exactly as they do and become one of their brain washed communities are simply going to be "tormented forever by their god".

The kinder ones might tell us that if we do not come around to their thinking and join them god will simple "annihilate us". Of course, they will go on living forever in their own perceived paradise or heaven forever at the very right hand of god. Indeed invited to his breakfast table

The purpose of posting this thread was that more people are thinking for themselves and conceding "that god loves all humanity" and not just their exclusive fundamentalist little few and that "humankind is a success" not the "colossal failure" they want us to believe.

Do these people when they rock up at your door uninvited invading your precious privacy as I am sure they have, not make you angry or maybe at least irritated with their false patronising love and forced holy smiles.

Most do not care on tiny bit about us they are just earning brownie points, to satisfy thier god and ensure by this they can earn them selves a ticket into heaven.

Regards

Alan

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 10:13am

The question of heaven and/or hell reverts back to the question about how we create our reality.

The original article

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2008/06/29/what_lies_beneath/?p...

included a very brief history of the evolution of the idea that there is a hell. Where did that idea ever come from in the first place? And why have so many bought in to it?

but of course, if you delete hell, do you also have to delete heaven?

according to the article, people are not deleting the heaven concept. That is good because then they will perhaps creat more good images, and experiences, but they still aren't getting the idea that we create these things with the concepts we choose to accept.

(not that I am i control of my own concept formation! far from it! but I try to consider it).

Ehrman raises the Job question...why do we suffer...that's an interesting one too.

Hey Alan this Paulson guy is pretty interesting, obviously a searcher. He seems to tune in to the issues where concepts divurge from what they hope to accomplish. HE talks about change in religion. Hmmm too much info to include here!

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #4 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 12:37pm

Hi, Lucy

Quote:
but of course, if you delete hell, do you also have to delete heaven?

Why delete heaven?, surely in the afterlife we need to progress into higher better realities. Maybe earth is the only hell?

I see our earthly lives as a school of learning it we dont pass the test we come back again until we do. Only then are we able to go to "heaven", not return and progress upward back into the glorious light from wenst we came

Regards

Alan

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.