Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
The case for a loving God vs. an "all that is" (Read 21629 times)
Alan McDougall

South Africa
Re: The case for a loving God vs. an "all that is"
Reply #30 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 1:42am

Outofbodydude,

Nice to catch you back in your body again (Only kidding)

Quote:
God cannot reconnect with life because god was never disconnected to begin with.  God IS everything.  God IS all life, God IS all consciousness.

Respectfully I cannot see it in that way. We are separate awareness’s created by God sent on a  infinite journey of discovery, through countless lives dimensions realms of realties like raindrop from the evaporation of the GREAT OCEAN THAT IS GOD.

Finally becoming what you said "self-aware atoms" or molecules within the "Cosmic All we call God"

Respectfully

Alan

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #31 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 2:10am

I do not believe we are separate.  We are simply the source consciousness individually and uniquely focused in a physical reality, and when we shift focus from our physical reality to higher levels of reality, we will then be source consciousness focused in those particular realities.

I do not believe we will become "self-aware atoms" within the Source Consciousness, for the same reason God cannot reconnect with all life.  Because this is already the case!  These self aware atoms are simply the consciousness of the Source itself, and being how we are the Source Consciousness focused in different realities contained within All That Is, then therefore we ARE these "self-aware atoms", we ARE the Source Consciousness.

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

IP Logged

DocM

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Re: The case for a loving God vs. an "all that is
Reply #32 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 4:08am

This conversation gets to the heart of the topic.  The argument that we are all God is persuasive, logical and consistent in knowing there is a unity of all things.  Yet something is missing.  Many have likened human existence to the equivalent of individual waves on the ocean that is God, or droplets of water.  On the one hand you can't seem to separate the two.

On the other hand, we have our unique perception, with its current limitations.  We have our faults and frailties; we aspire toward PUL, yet do not show it all the time.  And we Do know that God is the source of PUL.  We recognize God as the source as Don describes it, of love and existence.  Yet because we are infused by God, and part of the all that is, that does not make us God himself, realized and aware.  We may merge at some point and feel a part of the whole, yet in that state we perceive as a unique point of perception - this is the paradox.  We are like leaves on the vine, but it is an empty boast to declare that we are the plant itself.

There is something distinctly empty in knowingly calling ourselves God and he/she us.  More than any logical argument can define, we intuitively feel and know that there is more to it than that.  

Why do we hear that there is love, reverence and awe of God from conversations with deceased human beings and other higher beings?  Afterall, if we are God to begin with, is this not narcissistic and redundant?  It is NOT just religious dogma that lends credence and evidence to this view.  You can find that an atheist like Howard Storm, will describe this awe and reverence for God after being gravely ill, finding his consciousness in a hellish plane, and then being saved by what can only be described as heavenly grace by God.  Storm did feel a part of everything as did Mellen Benedict in his NDE.  Yet they were aware, at that time that they were at the same time not God, even in that state of unity and grace.  This is the key point.

It is a paradox not meant to be settled, but felt universally by all who have experienced it.  And it is this direct experience of unity but individuality at the same time, that causes the enlightened soul to be in awe of and worship the God as the source of all PUL.

Matthew

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #33 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 11:20am

What would God use other than his own being to create everything?  Does something other than his own being exist?
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2008 at 6:48pm by recoverer »  

IP Logged

ultra

Reply #34 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 1:28pm

Quote:
Yet because we are infused by God, and part of the all that is, that does not make us God himself, realized and aware.

Hi Matthew,

I think your above quote hits the big nail on the head.

Of course "we are God". What else could we be?
But like you suggest, this is not a fully realized Reality for most people - only a mental concept and the basis for further work.

Just because on the mental plane a seeker may recognize and be observant of the concept or belief of 'God in all, All in God, All as God', etc. does not mean that this potential has been realized comprehensively within all components of the individual being. I think only the most naive, confused, or misinformed New-Agers and Born Agains actually believe this to be true - at least this has been my experience with different seekers. The human beings who have struggled/been blessed up to the point in evolution where they now do acknowledge a truly universal God Principle, whether personal or impersonal -- for the wise or fortunate ones, there is a clear recognition that this is only a new starting point from which to begin engaging and invoking that possibility through some conscious dedicated practice towards those ends, thereby making those ends inevitable. God-becoming yes, but certainly not that they are fully realized as God the Absolute simply by virtue of the belief in that. To have that kind of intensity, consistency and purity of faith/belief in action is possible no doubt but to acheive that, it takes some very assiduous practice, perhaps for many lives.

To be sure it is a monumental task, but one for which those who have accomplished it before have made available many different 'road maps', as well as the inspiration to travel. Right now the world is being inundated by a flood of information and inspiration in all forms and levels to facilitate this progress. Even this website is part of a greater and more accelerated availability of access. Whether a person approaches this quest of God-realization through God with or without form, personal or impersonal, or one one day and the other another day - or further defined in terms of even more specific attributes is a matter that is up to any one individual soul and their own free will and preference. Since God is all, God will allow and support any choice that moves the seeker forward and also patiently allows for those choices that don't - it is all part of the process of self-discovery/realization.  

Additional note:
If you read "The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna" ( www.ramakrishnavivekananda.info/gospel/gospel.htm ), which I would highly recommend as a great spiritual classic, you will observe that Ramakrishna used to amuse himself by asking his devotees to debate the issue of God with/without form. It was amusing to him because not only did he delight in his devotee's individualities and capacities, but also because he himself concretely experienced God as both, and readily discussed it. Ramakrishna was significant among other things, because he deliberately set out to, and did realize God through all the major religions to show that each was viable as a way to approach 'the goal' - even wearing the traditional garb of one or another as part of the process. People absolutely thought he was mad at the time. Your thread inspired me to re-read some of this book over the last couple of days so I am grateful for the inspiration because it is quite moving - I get transported with each reading. It is like being there.

- u
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2008 at 11:42am by ultra »  

"What the soul sees and has experienced, that it knows; the rest is appearance, prejudice and opinion."
   - Sri Aurobindo

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #35 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 6:05pm

recoverer wrote on Jul 14th, 2008 at 6:01pm:
Alan, you've been gone? Huh Next you're going to tell me that Kathy has been gone. Wink Cheesy

I bet you God finds it a bit amusing at times when he listens in on these conversations.

Albert,
If this means I’m missed, it’s nice to know someone cares. Thank you. RL has been keeping me busy and I’ve been reading Tom Campbell’s trilogy, “My Big TOE” (TOE = Theory of Everything) which I have found to be fascinating.

Matthew, you always start the most interesting discussions! I don’t want to turn my post into a review of Campbell’s book, but I think you, Alan and others might be interested in his point of view as a physicist. I don’t know if you read the thread Dave started a few months ago where we were discussing God as primordial consciousness and potential, but it fit right in with Campbell’s TOE as well as the discussion on your thread here. Here’s his website: http://www.my-big-toe.com He has a series of videos on U-tube http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=CE5EA05F1F683940 of a lecture he gave and some interesting topics on his discussion board, plus several articles on the website.

I too, have on occasion found it a bit disconcerting to speak of God without speaking of Love. And that probably has more to do with ego than anything. I guess we are emotional creatures that recognize our purpose in life is to grow in love and understanding. From our limited point of view it is sometimes difficult for me to leave God and the love I feel out of that scenario. However, because of all the various experiences we’ve each had, along with our personal interpretations of them we are individuated consciousnesses and we all have different (individuated) ways of speaking as well as different ways of approaching the subject of God. I don’t think one way is necessarily better than another… just different… individuated.

When someone says “our source” or any other label for God I don’t think it means that I cannot read the label and not feel love because my emotions are just that… mine. I choose what I feel or don’t feel with my intention. In any circumstance I can choose how to direct my intent, which does affect both others and myself so I try to see it with love to the best of my ability.

I think your last post sums it up nicely. We’re part of the whole as well the whole, except we’re not fully conscious of the whole. Will we be at some point? Perhaps. I’d like to think so anyway.

Kathy

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

Justin aka asltaomr
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 12:41am

Who here is completely and always fully consciously at one with God?

Are you?   

Then how do any of us (at least those who answer no to the question), really think we can know what God is or isn't in the most accurate and full manner, let alone go on and on about what God is and isn't, pontificate, and/or debate about same?  Is it anything more than mental masturbation?

Sure, most or all of us probably get glimpses of what the reality is.  Many mention PUL or the equivalent, and from my own little glimpses i would agree.   I would say that's an important aspect of what God is, but there's probably a lot more...certainly more than i know now.

Re: supposedly enlightened teachers.   I don't think fully enlightened teachers, who are completely at one with God, go around writing long discourses about what God is or isn't, such teachers don't pontificate like that, they seem much more concerned with being an example of God than telling others verbally or writing a lot about it.   Many people can talk a good philosophical talk about the nature of the Divine, but doesn't mean they are fully consciously at one with same.

Classic example is Yeshua and his life.   He didn't seem to talk all that much about what God is or isn't, though he does mention love here and there, but more so he just lived a Godly, loving, life and that's how he became at one with God and that's how he truly taught others about what God really is.  Writing endless paragraphs and words about the supposed nature of the Divine as compared to living it and being an example of it, seems both impractical and can be a strong indication of one who likes to talk for the sake of and because they like to hear him or herself talk.

Unfortunately, it seems many teachers were and are like that, and deluded about their true Soul development and accuracy of perceptions.   Unfortunately, recognizing completely and fully enlightened teachers is a bit like knowing what God truly is or isn't, when oneself isn't fully at One with same.    It's doesn't seem impossible to recognize a person who is truly at one with God, but it sure seems harder to discriminate in a fully accurate manner those who talk a good talk, say they are, but who really aren't.

Or perhaps better summed up in, "the blind (or partial sighted) as ever, leading the blind (or partial sighted)."

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #37 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 1:36am

Justin,

You seem to have a problem with this thread, which I do understand; you are entitled to point out that we are discussing the unknowable.  Me, personally, I simply stay off threads which I find to be offensive, boring or as you mentioned "mental masturbation."  To each his own.

Yet the question of man's relationship to God has been talked of and debated for countless years.  While the ultimate answer won't be settled in this forum, it remains useful in the sense that we are basing our actions in life on how we define our relationship with God and each other.  Two biblical commandments, the love of God and love of our neighbors seem to be very important in both the old and new testament.

The question behind this thread is simple.  There are those who connect with the universe in an impersonal way, and who state quite authoritatively that they are God and he/she them.  They need not worship God because that is in the realm of religious dogma.  They mentally "get" that there is a unity between our individual consciousness and God, so they believe that they are divine but just don't quite know it yet.

On the other side of the coin, there is the notion of God as the source of life and love, to be revered as the unity we are part of - including a loving intelligence bigger than our individual selves.  You may have heard born again christians speak of a personal relationship with Jesus (Yeshua).  This is what I am speaking of.  I think the difference between an impersonal universe where we think of ourselves as "God in hiding," is a cold, potentially unloving (or narcissistic) place when compared to an existence in which God is acknowledged as a loving entity separate from our individuality.  This was the paradox I spoke of.

Where is the purpose of the afterlife, helpers, light beings, and guides we hear about from TMI and our own journeys, if not found in relationship to a loving, intelligent God?

Matthew

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #38 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 3:46am

Quote:
The question behind this thread is simple.  There are those who connect with the universe in an impersonal way, and who state quite authoritatively that they are God and he/she them.

My connection with the universe, my connection with all consciousness seemingly apart from myself, is anything but impersonal.  It is personal in the strongest sense, for I understand, or at least am beginning to understand, my personal unity with All That Is.  I spoke of impersonalization simply to stress the idea that "god"/All That Is is NOT a person, or even a slightly human-personality-type consciousness. This human-personality-type of consciousness is contained within All That Is, but All That Is is unimaginably more than simply a personality.    

Quote:
They need not worship God because that is in the realm of religious dogma.  

Our existence is not about worshiping God. It is about being our own Gods. It is about being to the fullest extent who we truely are. And because we are essentially Source Consciousness manifested in our own unique way, it is about achieving a state of mind most resonated with Source Consciousness. This means having unconditional love for ourselves and others, and living according to our highest joy.

Quote:
They mentally "get" that there is a unity between our individual consciousness and God, so they believe that they are divine but just don't quite know it yet.

The irony in this statement is that this understanding of unity actually brings about the state of knowing that we are divine. I know for a fact that I am divine in the sense that you mean, just as every other consciousness, human or other, is divine. I have seen my divinity manifest in far to many ways to deny it.

Quote:
On the other side of the coin, there is the notion of God as the source of life and love, to be revered as the unity we are part of - including a loving intelligence bigger than our individual selves.  You may have heard born again christians speak of a personal relationship with Jesus (Yeshua).  This is what I am speaking of.  I think the difference between an impersonal universe where we think of ourselves as "God in hiding," is a cold, potentially unloving (or narcissistic) place when compared to an existence in which God is acknowledged as a loving entity separate from our individuality.  This was the paradox I spoke of.

Where is the purpose of the afterlife, helpers, light beings, and guides we hear about from TMI and our own journeys, if not found in relationship to a loving, intelligent God?

You seem to be creating two sides of a coin where in reality there is just one. While I acknowledge myself (and all other consciousness) to be essentially Source Consciousness, I also acknowledge the fact that the Source Consciousness exists at a level [probably infinitely] more aware than my present level of consciousness, and therefore is a greater consciousness than my own. The universe is personal at the highest level, for it is all a reflection of our own consciousness. We are not "god" in hiding, we only have the illusion that we are god in hiding. In reality, we are our own gods, connected intimately with an infinite number of other gods, which at the highest level are really one god having the experience of being separate gods. Of course, being limited in our present consciousness, we are not and cannot be at the level of the Source, we can only advance our present consciousness to levels more and more reflective of the Source Consciousness, our TRUE consciousness.

The purpose of these mediums of guidance is to help us be more of who we are, and in a sense to help us remember what we have temporarily forgotten in the physical.. to allow us to create the reality which is most reflective of our innermost selves... which is basically our purpose of existence.

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

IP Logged

LaffingRain

Choose this Day

Arizona
Reply #39 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 4:14am

Guess what? Everybody's right here! end of discussion.  Cheesy

ok, I can babble on this subject for hours, but first let me apologize, as we are all just circling and circling.

I think for me, it's just the idea of being in group with you all & getting to learn about what you're reading, thinking, experiencing and being able to be here and relate, so it's partly social outlet. or maybe it's entirely sociable and once in awhile somebody benefits, and says so.

definition of god-realization: when you don't care whether you're realized or not..u stay off threads like this. and I will get off  Smiley soon as I'm done Grin

I'm in the I/There school of thought due to seeing myself "there".
I'm in the place Monroe was in the beginning. I also see movies in my head of my future, and then I watch my body live through those scenes with hardly any script changes allowed.
I do not use words like worship because they are no longer useful to describe contact with infinite wisdom and PUL. I am in that case absorbed by God and while surrendering there is no "me" to do the worshipping.

Instead, to use another word, I would say every man goes through painful experiences which act to set up a yearning to return to source, or God if you prefer. The yearning itself is a type of worship in a way, it is an energy in all us, sooner or later, which is a prayerful state of consciousness. Even at time, awe is there. it grows in momentum.

I am in a movie. like a probe, acting on stage. during an NDE, or similar type of experience, a temporary merge with God can be experienced. frequently, they are sent back to finish out the life; so we can assume physical incarnation serves a purpose beyond what we understand, even though that one, who has touched the hem of God so to speak, yearns to return. most the time these NDE's were just what was needed to change their inner life for the better, and were planned exactly so.

There will come a time we will all see how strongly we hold unto our belief systems, jealousy guarding them.

Belief systems, whatever you believe, has a rote on it. Each single belief is in truth connected to another set of beliefs.

the root system of most beliefs is that we are separate from God, therefore, we must have done something really bad. Our job towards enlightenment is basically, as I see it, help each other get home, and to see that we labor under the illusion we have rebelled against God and been casts out.

a belief system is different than perceptions.
as is interpretation different than a perception.

your perceptions will always follow your belief system. so change your beliefs, and your perceptions change accordingly.

all possibilities able to play out, once you begin to observe how your mind works.
for instance, when you believe something "new" your perceptions widen up to accept more possibilities for creating your reality, in ways that benefit others as well. Higher good prospects.

when I'm in prayerful thoughts, it is only "thy will be done on Earth as it is in heaven." I still find certain phrases of use to me, even in this new age, so I could say I'm worshipful of God, and I can also say I'm studying science of mind at the same time.
Religion has been twisted into something it was never meant to be. just look at all the holy wars down through history.
things need to change. we need to let the new age come in with a roar and go out like a lamb. the lion will indeed lie down with the lamb.
after I'm dead probably.  Smiley
Can anybody see ahead to the day with one world religion? that of brotherly love?
I can almost see it here sometimes...

... Who takes away death's sting deprives life of bitterness
WWW http://www.facebook.com/LaughingRain2  
IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 10:44am

I guess Alysia as you're I think saying (and as in the case of this topic) the 'true' world religion (or description of God) is perhaps less a matter of forcing all into agreeing one statement of a specific set of beliefs, than one of changing how we relate to each other  - so that we become  open enough to see all the differing ways that truth can be expressed. (actually pointed towards is probably more accurate  - there's something that's ultimately ineffable about it)

Even if we did manage to somehow work our way to some single statement of truth people would (given the limitations of language, cultural difefrences and conceptual thought) draw different (and not necessarily invalid) interpretations from it - truths of the sort we play with are inevitably multidimensional too.

As ever the answer perhaps lies not in trying to force our concepts on to the reality, or on to other individuals - but instead in changing our view. (view as in our perspective, the way we relate to stuff)

So that we become open enough to connect with the  truth expressed in the many differing forms that inevitably arise out of differing times, cultures and individuals.

We're so inclined to for all sorts of ego based reasons to demand what we perceive as agreement (which isn't actually possible given the interpretation issue), and to come armed with a variety of preconceptions that make it very hard for us to see the truth in other expressions.

That's not to say that there isn't stuff that's fairly clearly not truth. But to paraphrase a very old saying on the brood topic:  'don't mistake the pointing finger for the Moon'

Like the dog whose attention is taken by the hand throwing the stick rather than the stick which has just been thrown we can get hung up on language and expression - language which anyway is only a pointer to an inexpressible truth...

IP Logged

Justin aka asltaomr
Ex Member

Reply #41 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 10:51am

DocM wrote on Jul 16th, 2008 at 1:36am:
Justin,

You seem to have a problem with this thread, which I do understand; you are entitled to point out that we are discussing the unknowable.  Me, personally, I simply stay off threads which I find to be offensive, boring or as you mentioned "mental masturbation."  To each his own.

Yet the question of man's relationship to God has been talked of and debated for countless years.  While the ultimate answer won't be settled in this forum, it remains useful in the sense that we are basing our actions in life on how we define our relationship with God and each other.  Two biblical commandments, the love of God and love of our neighbors seem to be very important in both the old and new testament.

The question behind this thread is simple.  There are those who connect with the universe in an impersonal way, and who state quite authoritatively that they are God and he/she them.  They need not worship God because that is in the realm of religious dogma.  They mentally "get" that there is a unity between our individual consciousness and God, so they believe that they are divine but just don't quite know it yet.

On the other side of the coin, there is the notion of God as the source of life and love, to be revered as the unity we are part of - including a loving intelligence bigger than our individual selves.  You may have heard born again christians speak of a personal relationship with Jesus (Yeshua).  This is what I am speaking of.  I think the difference between an impersonal universe where we think of ourselves as "God in hiding," is a cold, potentially unloving (or narcissistic) place when compared to an existence in which God is acknowledged as a loving entity separate from our individuality.  This was the paradox I spoke of.

Matthew

Hi Mathew,

No i don't have a problem with the thread per se.  But what i do disagree with somewhat is the "no, God is this, not that, etc" that's been bandied around back and forth some on this thread.   I don't think it's wise to go there when self isn't fully consciously and always at One with what we are talking about to begin with.  ONLY those who are, truly know, and thus can "teach" others about same in the most accurate and helpful manner (and chances are they will do it less through verbal instruction, than living a pure life of service, love, and self sacrifice in relation to others). 

I'm not saying that it's wrong to express one's belief about it, and some people on this thread are only doing that, i'm speaking more to the ones doing the above and they know who they are. 

Btw, on a personal level, i resonate and agree with much of what you wrote re: the nature of God.  You have expressed those views very eloquently for the most part.

I'm just trying to inject some perspective into the thread.  Perhaps i have come off overly critical and harsh, i wasn't trying to do that, but i can see the possibility or likeliness of people taking it that way. 

In any case, i've said all i can and should say on the topic, and i will  leave your thread.   Otherwise, i would just be inanely repeating myself, and probably like some of those teachers i've addressed, speaking to hear myself talk.

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #42 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 5:23pm

Everyone will have at least a slightly different perspective of what "god" really is.  My goal on this thread is to clear up the misconceptions held by some here with regards to the "All That Is" perspective which I have.  The most important idea here is that each individual's belief in god should serve them to the fullest in their life.  If it doesn't, if their belief brings about negative emotions, such as fear, or if it skews their perspective of life so much that they do not live according to their highest joy and fullest creative potential, than the belief should be questioned for its validity and a new one found which serves them more positively.

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #43 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 5:29pm

All I can say is thank you God for my life.

P.S. to Kathy, yes, someone does care. Smiley

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #44 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 9:59pm

Recoverer,

You're Welcome!  Grin

(Just kidding!)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.