Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
The case for a loving God vs. an "all that is" (Read 21594 times)
DocM

Afterlife Knowledge Member

The case for a loving God vs. an "all that is"
Jul 9th, 2008 at 12:21am

Some New Age thought speaks of pure unconditional love (PUL), yet is slow to acknowledge a loving God as the uncaused cause of it.  It seems that to acknowledge this, would somehow tie in to religious beliefs, and many come here to explore consciousness without the confines of the rules of a specific religion.  

What is distinctly strange about this, and unsatisfying, is that some then talk of God and heaven in almost clinical terms as "Source," or the "all that is," or very often we get the cryptic saying "there is no God, because we are all God, and don't know it."  

Of course, it is all a matter of belief systems, and you pay your money, you make your choice (so to speak).  I come from the background of the New Agers, although I was brought up in the Jewish faith.  Yet in New Age thought, I found it very unsatisfying to speak of "the universe"or "Source," and not feel the connection to God and heaven.

For me, the study of consciousness in the physical and spiritual planes is proof of a loving, intelligence that permeates all of creation.  It is not, as some Western scientists will say, a bleak random occurrence of nature that we pretend to have consciousness, but are deluding ourselves.  I have long since proved to myself, the independence of conscious thought from the physical plane.  I have seen the ability of intent to effect probabilities in our "real world" and make things change.  

Yet on a personal level, God, and heaven have been somewhat absent from my experience, as I marvelled at individual physical and nonphysical human consciousness.  Reading Swedenborg's Heaven and Hell again, I began to rethink things.  Why factor God out of the equation?  Why not see God and Heaven as an intelligent, and loving presence?

In the loving world where there is a God, there is a vibrant force of souls and light beings.  PUL has meaning here, and it is understood that the more people act out of love for God and other people, the closer they come in their spiritual evolution.

Some religious beliefs speak of the illusion of the physical world, and enlightenment being the release from all worldly attachments, including ego.  Individuality is seen often as a worldly attachment too, that is an illusion because in this worldview (buddhism), we are all one and create the illusion of individuality.  Yet if in the end individuality is given up too, it seems that we merge with a universal consciousness, and in that sense cease to be.  It appears nihilistic, and foreign to many Westerners, myself included (sorry Vajra).

In a loving universe with a God, I see a spiritual progression that is centered on love.  I see a release of worldly/physical things (our bodies upon death), yet a persistence of us as individual lights of consciousness as part of the whole.  God is not an individual on a throne, but a true presence radiating the love and intelligence throughout the planes of consciousness in the afterlife and the physical world.  

As I seek to explore my owen consciousness, I am more eager to experience God and Heaven.  I think that PUL only has meaning when extended throughout all consciousness.  As such, it has meaning when we express PUL to others, and they to us.  And if God is the source of PUL, we should acknowledge this too.   The unity between all of us can still be present in this model, yet our individual perception of consciousness persists as well.  

Matthew

IP Logged

LaffingRain

Choose this Day

Arizona
Re: The case for a loving God vs. an "all that is"
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 1:59am

Hi Doc, it's good for me to see you post again. you said: The unity between all of us can still be present in this model, yet our individual perception of consciousness persists as well. 
____

this topic is not far off from Ian's "what is it that survives exactly?"

I'm in agreement with you basically but I did a slightly different take on it a few years back.
I agree "all that is" the force, Atman and Monad are interesting concepts as Godhead, but these are still conceptualizations rather than experiencing what God is.

so easy to get bogged down in language and religious terms. Is why here, the emphasis is on sharing experiences, yet these are personal and we resort to conceptualization once more in relating experience.
I have simplified everything  Roll Eyes to say God is Love. case not open to debate as far as I'm concerned.

From doing retrievals, and seeing individuals gravitate to their family, their loved ones on the other side, and these as well gravitating to take care of their own, it is clear that love is eternal and not the love of the objects and wealth this world offers, which some of us get identified with so easily.

but here's my personal story for what it's worth. I wanted to know if it was just a dog eat dog world, or could it perhaps be based on, of all things, Love?
I just wasn't sure, I thought perhaps I was just a naive person after all. My question was, is it or is it not a benevolent universe?

Or, did I just wish that it was a benevolent universe? And why do bad things happen to people with only good intentions? in other words, was a new ager supposed to bring heaven to Earth?

I had had some spirit helper visitations a few times by then. helpers who helped me get thru some tough times. then I read Bruce's books about helpers, guides out there, I knew the power of prayer also, but frequently enough, didn't know what to pray for. Or treat for, as they would say in the Church of Religious Science, which really, was not talking about Love, nor God, but Science of prayer.

So I started thinking about getting a guide. and I asked for one of those helpers to help me figure out if the universe was benevolent. (based on Love) I did receive several dream visitations then from a helper who was helping me with a practical matter as well.
while I was out there with him, I asked him what he got from helping other people like me, who are physical? Some gratitude passed over to him then. He said that was his payment. He enjoyed helping people.  He did teach me one thing, that the church had taught me as well.
He said "you have to be very specific when you ask for something." If you leave out one detail about what you want, what you get is a feeling you got short changed, when it was your own fault you didn't think it completely through before asking.

then the rest of this experience had to do with taking self responsibility, when it comes to what is appearing as bad luck, we have a choice whether we react within our fear rationale, or whether we say, oh oh, I'm going to find out why this happened to me, as I am in charge of what gets outpictured here.

it appears, just one tiny character flaw, such as a twinge of impatience, can create a whole scenario of like a snowball effect..unless we can recognize that flaw and correct it on the spot.

I know I'm not explaining how I came to the conclusion that it is a benevolent universe which wishes to assist my progress rather than hinder it.  it's a do unto others as you wish done to yourself premise and teach only love, for that is what you are premise.

works for me. thanks, alysia

... Who takes away death's sting deprives life of bitterness
WWW http://www.facebook.com/LaughingRain2  
IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 7:52am

Hi Doc, Alysia. Please pardon the length again. My own view on that whole situation (which can't claim to be more than an ever shifting gut feeling and a bit of personal insight and experience built on views drawn from a variety of mostly eastern traditions) is that there are several problems that make it an incredibly multidimensional and complicated subject - one that's full of misunderstandings and over attachment to particular views.

There isn't to my mind necessarily any conflict between those two perspectives as to the nature of God as the topic name seems to suggest.

Problems I think tend arise because we often conceive our views from a wholly personal or individual and dualistic/relativistic (conventional time/space reality) viewpoint, and secondly (largely as a result of that) we struggle to conceive the enormity of what God may be. We tend to have a deeply ingrained urge to relate to a human-like deity, and this conceptualisation often unconsciously limits our thinking.

First some background:

God defies description and does not manifest overtly - to the point where those who choose denial are not normally confronted in life (or in the afterlife) by anything that forces an early change in their view. There are convincing books out there purporting to prove that God does not exist, a view held by much of our scientific establishment.

Yet there are others who purport to see God in everybody and everything, every day of their lives - and to see his hand in every aspect of the way that everything works.

What do those in the latter camp see, and what can be said about God? Thoughts that come to mind include:

We and our cosmos exist, apparently manifested within a much greater absolute reality - this implies a first cause or source.

Our reality (as Alysia has said) seems to run on love, to be filled with basic goodness. Many of us would say that while from one view the world is based on a dog eat dog reality, that from another it proves simultaneously to be loving and accommodating towards all that choose to express love. Increased suffering seems especially to be the result of selfish choices, we can dimly discern karma or some similar set of rules in play that suggest that love is always the optimum choice in life.

Quite apart from the considerable practical incentive this delivers to living through love, all beings seem as well (despite detours) to contain a will to goodness, towards living through love and from the highest principles. Words like Grace, or Spirit (both said to be extended from God) are used to describe the source of this guidance, the still small voice.

Modern physics is coming to the view held by the traditions for millennia to the effect that energy, matter (form) and  mind/intention are the interchangeable ingredients of our ourselves as we manifest in life, and of reality.

Higher states of consciousness and the associated 'knowings' really bring the whole affair from intellectual speculation to real life. The presence of mind and God in everything becomes something that is intuitively known and experienced.

God seems to be capable of manifesting in an infinite number of ways, but moving up through the non physical levels of consciousness listed by Alysia in the other thread on the body we move out of the physical and into multiple dimensions of reality in habited initially by those in the afterlife, but ultimately by higher and higher levels of being.

Eventually we reach (that's as far it seems as we can experience from this life) a timeless non relative but love filled unity, what the seers have called Source, and what physicists might call the grid or the zero point field that manifests everything we can conceive.

It's no wonder that some choose to simplify the whole affair by describing God as being what he manifests - by saying that God is love.

The story in respect of ourselves is a similar one. It suggests the truth of the view that when we shed the obscuration and delusion associated with our tendency to (out of ego, selfishness or the belief that we are limited individuals) try to live without love that our essence is God - that God is in us.

We for example find that while we initially perceive ourselves to be individual minds rooted in a physical body and existence, that with opening and experience we discover that we are actually a part of our non-physical disc or collective based on multiple past and future lives. Experience suggests that here's no reason to think that this integration does not continue beyond this level ad infinitum to God.

Mind seems to be the essential basis of all, but mind we discover can be experienced as everything from the intellect of the typical individual of solely physical worldly orientation, to the opening of heart or intuition leading to the wider experiencing touched on above, through successive levels of integration also as above, to unity or God. Many of the seers suggest that ultimately there is only one mind which is God.

Now back to the subject issue:

The essential point I'd suggest in all of this (whether talking of God or of beings - us and those others in all parts and at all levels of existence) is that while at a given moment in time you can per the examples above describe some of the ways we or God manifests, that the reality is that He/She/IT/We/?? is/are simultaneously all of these.

So God could be said to simultaneously be everything from the apparently personal still small voice in the inner ear of the individual, to the life that glows in everything in the world and in the afterlife (which mind you is probably a human influenced creation), to the collective mind of the cosmos, to  the source of everything in the cosmos, to perhaps even some sort of unimaginable being existing in some absolute and timeless realm we can't conceive of because our minds are limited to using only those concepts we are familiar with.

We are likewise arguably everything from the apparently limited physical human we start out thinking we are, through all of the above levels of existence to God.

We're conditioned to see separation everywhere, but the reality seems to be that this is a mind made distinction. That in the end everything is interconnected, and ultimately One.

I think it's possible to resolve what seem to be problems and differences in the ways the different traditions view the topic given the above - bearing in mind though that this is only a view, and that individuals within the various traditions may fasten (actually against the higher teaching of the tradition they belong to) on to particular more limited and less holistic perspectives.

Many of the problems arise from our tendency to interpret for example a statement to the effect that God is 'X' as exclusive - as implying or more typically asserting not only what is said, but also that this is ALL or THE TOTALITY or the only possible manifestation of what He/She/It/?? is. This isn't necessarily what the speaker means - it's often just a conditioned assumption we make about what they intended born of the 'is/isn't' arguments of childhood - where out of our egoistic attempts to dominate by being the one to define what is 'right' we attempt to exclude all other views except that we've identified ourselves with.

Even when the speaker is trying to force a single  he/she sees it 'right' viewpoint on us we don't have to buy the implicit exclusion of all others - even if we do take on board some of what is said as a part of a bigger view of reality.

The truth is that a single statement or position can only describe a single (or maybe a few) facet(s) of any given reality. Any attempt to force otherwise amounts to a choice for a selective and very narrow perception of the situation - an attempt to exclude the total reality in favour of just the facet that happens to appeal to our personal agenda. (this actually is the basis of the oft talked about delusion caused by holding an egocentric view - by being stuck in a reality tunnel)

So for example the view that God can relate personally and in a loving manner does not exclude all of the other potential dimensions of His existence as above. Nor does referring to God as 'all that is' or as 'Source' exclude the possibility that he/she is also a personal and loving God at our personal level.

So then why all the caution about the G word in some traditions?

You mentioned Doc the tendency of New Age and for that matter eastern (Buddhist?) teaching to not talk overtly of God. This (it's said) has it's origins in many cases in an attempt to avoid other problems. The Buddha it's said for example saw that the prevailing Vedic religions of his time had become bogged down in the worship of a multiplicity of gods, this as a result of people's tendency to anthromorphise or make beings out of what were actually meant to be characterisations of aspects of mind for use in teaching.

They in many cases then proceeded to relate to these along the lines of the old testament - as jealous and vindictive entities needing to be worshipped and placated with sacrifices and so on.

This obsession with assigning human like characteristics to gods in his view made impossible the sort of insights that were necessary on the path of personal transformation that he taught. It wasn't that he denied the existence of God, it seems to have been more that he felt that people would progress better if their prejudices on the subject (which he felt was almost beyond meaningful discussion anyway) were not triggered, and they just got on with the knitting at the level of their lives - with meditation, and with better understanding a more expansive view of reality, and how it actually works through love.

With the aim that they would eventually come to see the error of their self centred thinking, and so drop the whole package of egoistic beliefs that are the cause of suffering.

There's of course been lots of other religions that have gone in the opposite direction, and in so doing have caused terrible suffering. While it clearly doesn't seem to have originated as this, Christianity (and other of the religions emanating from the Middle East ) was for example structured around what is essentially an anthromorphised (packaged to be like a human) God with vengeful and jealous tendencies which had to be appeased. (the priesthood has of course positioned itself as the only ones that can do this for their members)

So I guess what I'm saying is that the key to resolving many of the apparent contradictions across traditions is to stay open and expansive in how we interpret what we read.

There's lots we'll rightly decide to reject because it's simply not compatible with a love based view, but there's lots that fits and that can be so helpful in opening up our view if we can avoid the mindset which unconsciously excludes as a result of our getting hung up on narrow beliefs, or on terminology, or even on intellectual precision.

I doubt that in the end God is too worried about what he's called, or how he's seen unless it's blocking our development - it's unlikely that even at best we can do more than touch on occasional aspects of truth on this topic...
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2008 at 11:20am by N/A »  

IP Logged

ultra

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 12:22pm

Hi DocM and members,

I would like to commend your attention to the following link which contains numerous explanations and clarifications on points frequently discussed here and which you have brought up for discussion in your original post of this thread. I simply refer to a source I feel is authentic, eloquent, and readily accessible relative to these issues, one that has been extremely helpful to my own ongoing search.

This link below will hopefully connect to a discussion that touches and elaborates on some of these issues. I will recommend also perusing the entire table of contents of this particular volume, as well as other books listed to see if any topics suit your specific interests as there is much useful material freely available there.

As pertains to your discussion I would further especially recommend pages 242-249 within the chapter linked below.

As always, I hope this will be helpful, and I have a feeling that you will find more than a few useful passages.

http://sriaurobindoashram.info/Content.aspx?ContentURL=_StaticContent/SriAurobin...

Here is an excerpt from the middle of that range of pages -  Quote:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"...It is by this primitive divisional principle that the Mind is enabled to regard, for example, the Impersonal as the Truth, the Personal as only a mask or the personal Divine as the greatest Truth and impersonality as only an aspect; it is so too that all the conflicting philosophies and religions arise, each exalting one aspect or potentiality of Truth presented to Mind as the whole sufficient explanation of things or exalting one of the Divine's Godheads above all others as the true God than whom there can be no other or none so high or higher. This divisional principle pursues man's mental knowledge everywhere and even when he thinks he has arrived at the final unity, it is only a constructed unity, based on an Aspect. It is so that the scientist seeks to found the unity of knowledge on some original physical aspect of things, Energy or Matter, Electricity or Ether, or the Mayavadin thinks he has arrived at the absolute Adwaita by cutting existence into two, calling the upper side Brahman and the lower side Maya. It is the reason why mental knowledge can never arrive at a final solution of anything, for the aspects of Existence as distributed by overmind are numberless and one can go on multiplying philosophies and religions for ever.

In the overmind itself there is not this confusion, for the overmind knows the One as the support, essence, fundamental power of all things, but in the dynamic play proper to it it lays emphasis on its divisional power of multiplicity and seeks to give each power or Aspect its full chance to manifest, relying on the underlying Oneness to prevent disharmony or conflict. Each Godhead, as it were, creates his own world, but without conflict with others; each Aspect, each Idea, each Force of things can be felt in its full separate energy or splendour and work out its values, but this does not create a disharmony, because the overmind has the sense of the Infinite and in the true (not spatial) Infinite many concording infinities are possible. This peculiar security of overmind is however not transferable to the lesser planes of consciousness which it supports and governs, because as one descends in the scale the stress on division and multiplicity increases and in the Mind the underlying oneness becomes vague, abstract, indeterminate and indeterminable and the only apparent

p 244

concreteness is that of the phenomenal which is by its nature a form and representation – the self-view of the One has already begun to disappear. Mind acts by representations and constructions, by the separation and weaving together of its constructed data; it can make a synthetic construction and see it as the whole, but when it looks for the reality of things, it takes refuge in abstractions – it has not the concrete vision, experience, contact sought by the mystic and the spiritual seeker. To know Self and Reality directly or truly, it has to be silent and reflect some light of these things or undergo self-exceeding and transformation, and this is only possible either by a higher Light descending into it or by its ascent, the taking up or immergence of it into a higher Light of existence. In Matter, descending below Mind, we arrive at the acme of fragmentation and division; the One, though secretly there, is lost to knowledge and we get the fullness of the Ignorance, even a fundamental Inconscience out of which the universe has to evolve consciousness and knowledge. ..."

(on Nirvana)"...6. It is not possible to situate Nirvana as a world or plane, for the Nirvana push is to a withdrawal from world and world-values; it is therefore a state of consciousness or rather of super-consciousness without habitation or level. There is more than one kind of Nirvana (extinction or dissolution) possible. Man being a mental being in a body, manomaya purusa, makes this attempt at retreat from the cosmos through the spiritualised

p 245

mind, he cannot do otherwise and it is this that gives it the appearance of an extinction or dissolution, laya, nirvāna; for extinction of the mind and all that depends on it including the separative ego in something Beyond is the natural way, almost the indispensable way for such a withdrawal. In a more affirmative yoga seeking transcendence but not withdrawal there would not be this indispensability, for there would be the way already alluded to of self-exceeding or transformation of the mental being. But it is possible also to pass to that through a certain experience of Nirvana, an absolute silence of mind and cessation of activities, constructions,  representations, which can be so complete that not only to the silent mind but also to the passive senses the whole world is emptied of its solidity and reality and things appear only as unsubstantial forms without any real habitations or else floating in Something that is a nameless infinite: this infinite or else something still beyond is That which alone is real; an absolute calm, peace, liberation would be the resulting state. Action would continue, but no initiation or participation in it by the silent liberated consciousness; a nameless power would do all until there began the descent from above which would transform the consciousness, making its silence and freedom a basis for a luminous knowledge, action, Ananda. But such a passage would be rare; ordinarily a silence of the mind, a liberation of the consciousness, a renunciation of its belief in the final value or truth of the mind's imperfect representations or constructions would be enough for the higher working to be possible...."

- Sri Aurobindo, From "Letters On Yoga"* Part I, Section V, "Planes and the Parts of the Being", pgs 243-246
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: "Letters On Yoga" is comprised of excerpts from letters answering questions of students. This accounts for the occasional fragmentation of continuity in the text.

-u

"What the soul sees and has experienced, that it knows; the rest is appearance, prejudice and opinion."
   - Sri Aurobindo

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 2:29pm

Going by what I've experienced, what has been communicated to me, and sources that make the most sense, things are set up so that in the end we all experience a state of love and oneness with each other and God.  Love would never allow for a nihilistic viewpoint to be true no matter how intellectually stimulating such a viewpoint might seem.

Sometimes the truth of the matter is communicated to me in a really simple way. One time I was meditating and trying to open up to love. I allowed a nihilistic way of viewing things to creep into my mind. Suddenly I found myself as part of a joyfull circle of loving friends, we danced around while holding hands.

One time I was given the message while thinking of the goal we are trying to achieve: "Lots of beauty and lots of fun."

The messages I've received suggest that God does in fact exist as a being who oversees his creation which we help out with in various ways. Waves couldn't do their thing within an ocean if the ocean didn't exist.

IP Logged

Berserk2

Re: The case for a loving God vs. an "all that is
Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 8:27pm

Matt,

During Howard Storm's NDE, he asks Jesus about the angels' preferred name for "God."  Jesus replies that "the One" is the most apt designation.  This means neither that God is "All That Is" not that God is a supreme Being among countless other beings.  Rather, it seems to mean that God is the ground of all Being.--the only sensible answer to the otherwise meaningless question, "Why is there something rather than nothing at all?"  This understanding is most compatible with the best etymological understanding of the Old Testament name "Yahweh"--"the One who causes to be."    

The God of the Old And New Testament is paradoxically both transpersonal and personal--tranpersonal in the dual sense that God's "thoughts" and "ways" are infinitely "higher" than our thoughts and ways (Isaiah 55:8-9) and personal in the sense that God's essence is PUL.  The Bible stresses God's transpersonal aspect in other ways.  For example, in the early stages of the Hebrew faith, God twice refuses a request for His name (Genesis 32:29; Judges 13:18) and at the Burning Bush God evades Moses' request for His name by substituting the phrase "Tell them I am who I am [or, more accurately: "I will be whatever I will be"] has sent you (Exodus 3:14).  God's evasion is designed to counteract the ancient Hebrew need to grasp His essence in terms of a clarifying name.  The oft repeated Hebrew principle "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom (Proverbs 1:7)" can be paraphrased: "The beginning of wisdom is reverential awe in the face of an ultimately unknowable God."  

The Bible recognizes that this notion stands in tension with the personalizing claim that God is love.  But such personalizations merely designate God insofar and only insofar as God can be experienced.  In other words, God is experientially personal as PUL, but is not metaphysically PUL, apart from the obvious earthly and postmortem benefits of choosig to serve and spread God's love in our world.  

When the Gospel of John identifies Jesus as "the Word" (Greek: "Logos"--John 1:1, 14), "Logos" literally means "the rational self-expression of God" as opposed to God in His unknowability.  By allowing us to experience a rational self-expression of Him, God in no way minimizes His mystery.  

I like the way early church father, Irenaus, explains the meaning of Christ's incarnation: "God became man, so that man might become God."  In the same vein, Peter claims that we are all "destined to participate in the divine nature (2 Peter 1:4)." The purpose of Heaven and its various stages or levels is to facilitiate this restoration of union in some mystical sense.  In this way, God is always in process throughout and beyond time and expands His horizons just as we do as we progress. In my view, this is the best summary statement of the purpose of existence in its most ultimate sense.

Don

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #6 - Jul 13th, 2008 at 1:34pm

So Doc...

Who or what is this "loving god" that you speak of?  Is he a guy in the sky? We all know better than that.

The "all that is" theory is a result of our awakening to higher aspects of our reality through nonphysical explorations of various kinds. It is very accurate. I believe your bias against the nature of the source consciousness results from both your religious background and your lack of nonphysical explorations.

Love does not need to be taken out of the equation now that "god" is depersonalized. After all, god is not a person! However, the love that permeates the higher realms is all too real and can be experienced. This love is the true essence of "god", which is simply the energy of consciousness in its purest form. This consciousness IS all that is, and IS god.

Why do you think you can best feel and express love when you are acting the most accordingly to your true self? Because when you act according to your inner most being, when you are being yourself to the fullest, you can best express your own true energy, which is love... the energy of all that is.  

In certain nonphysical levels I have experienced, there is an innate understanding that the love I feel at these times is the experience of my true self, and is the same energy of all things in existence, and it is all connected, and this is a most joyous realization. The energy of love is the true essence of our being. This essence, the pure energy of our consciousness, is being expressed in all ways possible, including through us.

It can be seen easily when compared to our higher selves.  We are a greater energy individualized and almost filtered into this physical dimension so we, as our higher aspects, can have the most various of experiences in this level of reality.  But where does the energy from our higher selves come from? This greater energy that is our higher selves can be traced "up" even "higher", until there is but one source. On this level, the energy(pure consciousness) is manifested in an infinite number of ways, so it can experience itself to the fullest, for it is all there is to experience. I don't know what part of this idea/realization isn't amazing.

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

IP Logged

briggs5534

Reply #7 - Jul 13th, 2008 at 2:14pm

I Am Dude wrote on Jul 13th, 2008 at 1:34pm:
So Doc...

Who or what is this "loving god" that you speak of?  Is he a guy in the sky? We all know better than that.

The "all that is" theory is a result of our awakening to higher aspects of our reality through nonphysical explorations of various kinds. It is very accurate. I believe your bias against the nature of the source consciousness results from both your religious background and your lack of nonphysical explorations.

Love does not need to be taken out of the equation now that "god" is depersonalized. After all, god is not a person! However, the love that permeates the higher realms is all too real and can be experienced. This love is the true essence of "god", which is simply the energy of consciousness in its purest form. This consciousness IS all that is, and IS god.

Why do you think you can best feel and express love when you are acting the most accordingly to your true self? Because when you act according to your inner most being, when you are being yourself to the fullest, you can best express your own true energy, which is love... the energy of all that is. 

In certain nonphysical levels I have experienced, there is an innate understanding that the love I feel at these times is the experience of my true self, and is the same energy of all things in existence, and it is all connected, and this is a most joyous realization. The energy of love is the true essence of our being. This essence, the pure energy of our consciousness, is being expressed in all ways possible, including through us.

It can be seen easily when compared to our higher selves.  We are a greater energy individualized and almost filtered into this physical dimension so we, as our higher aspects, can have the most various of experiences in this level of reality.  But where does the energy from our higher selves come from? This greater energy that is our higher selves can be traced "up" even "higher", until there is but one source. On this level, the energy(pure consciousness) is manifested in an infinite number of ways, so it can experience itself to the fullest, for it is all there is to experience. I don't know what part of this idea/realization isn't amazing.

This is what I believe too!!

peace n' love

IP Logged

ultra

Reply #8 - Jul 13th, 2008 at 2:54pm

Hi DocM and OutOfBodyDude,

If I may take a stab at this....

All quotes = OOBDude Quote:
Who or what is this "loving god" that you speak of?  Is he a guy in the sky? We all know better than that.

He could be, and He could also be you. If 'we' all know this, then what is known has been personalized.

Quote:

No doubt this is accurate and hopefully becoming moreso.
I have read Doc's posts and believe he does not have the bias you suggest, but rather simply poses some philosophical questions based on his experience which is necessarily different than yours, which you also suggest. In addition, i am sure Doc has plenty of experience during meditation, sleep and in-between lives, which as defined by your own current experience and form, may or may not be as pertinent to his current life needs in the evolution of his soul, or, he is receiving what he needs through those and/or other means.

It may be a further point to offer (and this could be another entire discussion) that an active facility in various aspects of kundalini does not necessarily confer spirituality in the strict sense.

Quote:

Yes, and God does not need to be taken out of the equation now that "love" is de-personalized. Who said God is not a person? Krishna didn't, Christ didn't, Ramakrishana didn't. The love that permeates the higher realms is also within, or else it could not be experienced by any individual. This essence, this energy, this substance of all that is in its purest form - since it is 'all that is' - also exists in a personal form, in a becoming, in non-physical, and in a few cases historically has manifested on the physical plane as such.

Even non-physically, God has appeared as a 'personality' to various Masters, perhaps simply because it is a compassionate presentation to humans, who attached very much to form need to have an 'object' to appraoch. It is considered extremely difficult, almost impossible to achieve God-realization through the formless absolute. There are also accounts of realized Masters 'switching roles' with a personalized God - first being the Lover, then being the Beloved, also as Friend, Father, and also as Mother.

Quote:

Again - therefore according to what you say - they are not mutually exclusive. God can be, and is both personal and impersonal. You may have a preference or a necessity (are those really different?) at any given 'moment' which the personal or impersonal God may compassionately accommodate, but the momentary experience of one does not negate the other.

Quote:
In certain nonphysical levels I have experienced, there is an innate understanding that the love I feel at these times is the experience of my true self, and is the same energy of all things in existence, and it is all connected, and this is a most joyous realization. The feeling of love is the true essence of our being. This essence, the pure energy of our consciousness, is being expressed in all ways possible, including through us.

It is no doubt true, OOBDude. You are becoming God. God is manifesting the infinite though you, a finite individual. Sometimes these 'impersonal' experiences are given to persons to show an aspect of divinity they need to address/acquire in their individual quest. As you say, there is and can be nothing in the person, the quest, the aspect, that is not God - so why limit the illimitable, which has the possibility to manifest through the finite - including a personality, including as a personality?

Either that, or for now at this moment, you are just not a 'bhakta'.
Or are you?   Huh

- u
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2008 at 7:46pm by ultra »  

"What the soul sees and has experienced, that it knows; the rest is appearance, prejudice and opinion."
   - Sri Aurobindo

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #9 - Jul 13th, 2008 at 2:55pm

Hi Dude,

Its good to have both you and Don on the same thread, for you don't seem to believe in God (correct me if I'm wrong), but you do believe in a source for all things. Don is a biblical scholar who does believe in God.

I have done quite a bit of meditation and exploration, and have had many significant experiences with the nonphysical (most documented here on Bruce's website).  I can point you to other explorers, like Swedenborg, who go into detail about the nature of nonphysical planes, and our relationship with God.   No, he is not an anthropomorphic Superman on a throne - we do all know that.  Yet in many encounters with deceased human beings, the existence of God and his presence has been well documented.  This is not a foreign entity we are meant to worship, but the good and love that flows from God as the source.  If you haven't read Emanuel Swedenborg's Heaven and Hell, it is worth a read - especially since this guy wrote it some 300+ years ago, before the spiritualist movement, Blavatsky or the rise of mediums.  It is written in a distinctly non-coformist and logical manner.  

I have many other sources that document the existence of God, even Robert Monroe, yet rational people like you and I explore, and it is a common thing to decide that there is a nameless, faceless "source" that we are all a part of.  The problem I have with your view point is the feeling that the intelligence and love of the divine is contingent upon the existence of an intelligent and loving God as the source, not an unthinking omnipotent source.

I have used the power of intent during meditation to feel part of everything, and in that state of mind, I have applied intent in what can only be called a mystical way (or magic of old).  To my surprise, my intent then came to pass.  It is this state where I connect to my subconscious mind and apply intent that I have found we can "make things happen."  This is where shamans and magicians have connected to over the centuries.  Yet, this is different than the structure of consciousness in the afterlife.  

Yes, we all have the ability to access our interconnectedness to the universe, and it is a powerful mystical connection.  But separate from this either God, as a creator exists or he does not.  I believe he does, though I have not been graced by a direct contact like Howard Storm was in his NDE (this is worth a read too).  

How are we to put TMI's experiences, Bruce's, and many on this board's together?  Groups of loved ones waiting for those who have passed over......helpers....angels (discarnate humans)....heavenly societies and activities, all centered around PUL.  Yet some, believe we are all God already and concoct terms like a "higher self" or "oversoul" or "disc" to explain the greater vistas of love and unity.  These terms lose the relationshp and meaning of love in the end.  I believe Bruce once described physical life as a probe that returned back to its creative disc.  

This is one belief system.  Higher selves and Discs are some ways of interpreting OOBEs and glimpses of consciousness.  Many others have experienced interactions with deceased loved ones that suggest that there is truly a God, a core of love and intelligence that flows into all planes of consciousness.  But not, as a characterless all that is.

If the religious connotations about God turn you off, that's ok, you can explore and keep your mind open to the possibility of God without the trappings of religious dogma.  God does NOT however, need to be depersonalized.  It is your belief system that does the depersonalization (or not).  

In Swedenborg's extensive conversations with those who passed over, he learned that none entered higher realms of consciousness unless they understood that love of God and love of one's fellow man were the keys to spritual progression.  Of note, he found that word for word christians could not enter heaven (consciousness realm) if they believed that God the father, the son and the holy spirit were separate - for God was a unity.  This thought was seen as blasphemous by many in the 1700s, but Swedenborg called it like he saw it.  

My favorite quote from ES about those who see a divinity in all there is but not God is this:

"Finally, those who profess to believe in an invisible Divine, which they call the soul of the universe ( Ens universi), from which all things originated, and who reject all belief in the Lord, find out that they believe in no God; since this invisible Divine is to them a property of nature in her first principles, which cannot be an object of faith and love, because it is not an object of thought [1.2]. "

Matthew

IP Logged

LaffingRain

Choose this Day

Arizona
Reply #10 - Jul 13th, 2008 at 4:13pm

quote Doc left from ES:
In Swedenborg's extensive conversations with those who passed over, he learned that none entered higher realms of consciousness unless they understood that love of God and love of one's fellow man were the keys to spritual progression.  Of note, he found that word for word christians could not enter heaven (consciousness realm) if they believed that God the father, the son and the holy spirit were separate - for God was a unity.
_____
and:

"Finally, those who profess to believe in an invisible Divine, which they call the soul of the universe ( Ens universi), from which all things originated, and who reject all belief in the Lord, find out that they believe in no God; since this invisible Divine is to them a property of nature in her first principles, which cannot be an object of faith and love, because it is not an object of thought [1.2].
______

my comments is that my interest in ES is wetted, yet I find more modern use of language an easier read for me, of the same comments: such as folks who believe in "an invisible Divine, and folks that believe in a "Lord" at first is a matter of hashing semantics about, isn't it? like, to say, you say potatoes, I say pa-tah-tos.

yet heres another way to look at that quote: A man cannot add one cubic inch unto himself by taking up thought. (have to chew on that for  a couple centuries, but you get the point it is necessary to get love in all things that can be gotten, to support ES, you won't gain a portal into heaven unless you do. My supposition is heaven is here now. manifested through each who choose to be a portal for it.

It's really hard to love an invisible divine.
personally, from early on, I didn't want to live here, do a life.
I thought everybody talked to a personal God. I didn't think I was different in that regard until here lately, I get folks now and then saying there are not two voices in the head.
I always had two voices in the head, with one voice I asked questions, the other voice, I assumed was my personal God, it answered.

this is not different to me, to see the image of a devil on one shoulder, and an angel on the other. the devil is representative of the ego, which does believe it is not with God, not one with God.

continuing, we do need something personal to guide us in many situations we get into, such as illness, death, losing a job, etc.
At those times, this invisible Divine can only be projected as some sort of karma, or divine order going on which doesn't get a hoot's nanny for you personally. maybe some live like that.

once I got old enough I claimed as my own an ascended master to look up to. JC. God as Man, man as God. then if I should do that, I would have to consider what he said which sounded true, and test it out. He said, I believe these are his actual words, "It is the Father in me which doeth the works."

So even our JC does not give credit to his ego, as man, for the works that were done. He gives credit to the Father, the creator.

In today's society, I think we are rejecting Father as Creator as a being, because we are not able to see God and Man as the one and the same thing.

However, if you read ES once more, "The Father, the Son, and the Holy spirit are a unity.

I say then, we are the Son. We are the sonship. Yet if we are that, the unity of the three, we are experiencing being in a holographic way, as degrees of God.
I say I am the Son because I feel at one with Christ, because he was a man also. I have need of relating personally. Yet I have need of understanding how things work also.

heres where I am on that to date: just to share.

Ultra reminds me of this state of consciousness in his post;

It was said JC reached full enlightenment and came into direct God communication, by attaining the 4rth level of pure non-dualism;

here's a description of that briefly:

The mind that is the maker of the illusion chooses completely against itself in favor of God.

that is to say, love God, whatever that is for you, with all your heart, your soul, your mind. it means surrendering the ego, the personality, with it's desires, to God.

It would appear, Ian, in thinking about your post regarding what exactly is it that survives death, it would appear, our desire body can exist for a time, as a shell of your former self, experiencing the fullfillment of desire, but that our true self is already fullfilled in all measure by oneness with god, and it is this desire body which eventually disintegrates on the astral, which supports a holographic dimension to consciousness.

that is not to say we should not have desires. just that we may want to live life fully and be satisfied in those desires BEFORE we die, so that we can ascend directly to a higher plateau without having to shuck off those unfullfilled desires, cluttering up the astral realms..as everyone has one. According to my grandmother, she shucked off some of her more contrary personality traits upon death as well.

So what survives is what you were in the beginning before incarnation, plus, you get to keep only what you have given away, is a statement of brotherly love proportion, that we generate that in both dimensions of necessity, and through lessons gained here.
"

... Who takes away death's sting deprives life of bitterness
WWW http://www.facebook.com/LaughingRain2  
IP Logged

Justin aka asltaomr
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 12:42am

Lately i've been coming to the realization that to debate things, especially like about the nature of God, is often pretty pointless.  Even if you have the more accurate and helpful viewpoint, how often does debating or over long windingly explaining why you believe, or really self assuredly "this is the case or not the case", actually change another person's viewpoints? 

Ok, with that said, i don't see anything wrong with self expression, sharing your viewpoint, etc.    I guess it's the motivation involved.  If you go into it with, "i will try to make them believe this, "or i know better and should tell them" motivation, it's probably not coming from your own higher or true self.

Btw, i believe in both a loving, individualized and self aware Creator and at the same time, the Onenesss, All that Is, impersonal PUL or what not.  I believe we are all God, and yet God is still yet even more than the sum of the parts of the Whole. 

Do i expect, or want you to believe me?   Could i change your mind in any case?  Do i have proof or even evidence of any position's accuracy, let alone my own? 

Probably not.   I have come to believe the best (most effective) teaching is done primarily by and through example--especially when it comes to this spiritual stuff.  Perhaps a tougher act to follow, but probably more ultimatley rewarding than spending time writing super long posts, or what not to convince people of something.   Perhaps i am guilty to some extent in this post, of what i am trying to point out.   Quite possible since i still contain both Light and unlight.

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 5:15am

Smiley My thought Justin prior to yours was to post 'ha! - that subject has unsurprisingly got us into a right tailspin'.

Which perhaps demonstrates why so many traditions avoid getting into debate on it, or becoming too specific on it.

It's clear that it's one that's best not approached from the point of view of belief. How can a firm belief (actually a closed view that assigns mind made specific limits) be applied to what's pretty clearly infinite, unknowable and far beyond our capacity and our space/time based sense making?

The best we can perhaps hope to manage is a series of perceptions (which with time need to evolve and develop) of facets of God as manifested in our reality from our prejudiced viewpoint.

Open ended generalisations like 'the One', 'God is Love' and so on (which we won't be able to intellectually close, but which by conveying the understanding that both ourselves and our reality are suffused by love or basic goodness help us in bringing love into our daily lives) start to make a lot of sense.

If we get hung up on the topic and attempt to bottom it in any way - perhaps naively because we think we're capable of it, but more likely because we seek personal advantage through creation of a mind made version of God that suits our other beliefs, or makes ourselves seem expert, or perhaps just to scratches the ego itch to lock down a closed view or certainty on everything - then it's not just pointless, but as suggested in the latter part of the post above (on why some traditions don't go into this space) actually a barrier to opening, to the spiritual progress of the 'believer'.

'Believer' is not a positive description as used here. This urge to closure (to belief in conceptual constructs, to wanting to tie up topics as nice neat mental bundles of what we mistakenly think are 'knowns'  - with their 'sacred cow' or 'never to be seriously questioned again, only to be used as facts to be  built from' status denoted by a big red metaphorical ribbon around them) is a very insidious, often subtle but pervasive tendency in pretty much all of us.

If there is merit in discussion of this sort, then it may be that our series of perceptions (if big enough to jolt us into surrender and opening - into realising the sheer enormity of the topic) will engender enough awe to cause us to realise the futility of attempting to close the debate.

The resulting space even may improve our ability to connect with reality - it may enable further spiritual insight that helps us to drop other unhelpful beliefs.

But to pull this off ( to truly experience it, to not just see it as one possible intellectually figured out pov) requires insight, great lightness of touch, and ability to transcend the urges of the ego - which actually is the source of our discomfort and unease with the open and inclusive descriptions of God which is the topic of this thread.

The risk, and probably the greater likelihood for most of us is that if we seek to engage on this topic we'll get sucked into the closing described above...

« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2008 at 7:01am by N/A »  

IP Logged

blink
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 5:41am

Doc, you said in your original post here:

"In the loving world where there is a God, there is a vibrant force of souls and light beings."

----------------

I find that when I am observant of this, and in a position of gratitude for this, there are no other questions. Existence is simply one big wonderful amazing answer.

love, blink

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 7:07am

Smiley
Hi Blink. Experience and awareness (and not thought and conceptual theorising) seem indeed to be what matter most, what by enabling Spirit keeps us grounded and minimises untrue perception.

The only reason for the existence of ourselves and the world is the journey from separation in this fear inspired but ultimately mind made pseudo reality of selective perception back to God.

The God debate matters only inasmuch as it helps or hinders the  movement to true seeing, to a reality based view, to truth and hence to love.

Our concern is surely that within our span of interaction, that which influences this.

The rest is an interesting, but unfortunately compulsive distraction...

Hi Alysia, please pardon the slow response. To  '...it would appear, our desire body can exist for a time, as a shell of your former self, experiencing the fullfillment of desire, but that our true self is already fullfilled in all measure by oneness with god, and it is this desire body which eventually disintegrates on the astral, which supports a holographic dimension to consciousness.'

The above links to this too - what you say could be interpreted as saying that the ego (the mind body, or mind created sense of self and reality) is impermanent. That while it drives most of our behaviour and perception in life (at least until we transcend it and start to 'see' reality - in accordance with God's creation), and it survives for a period in the afterlife, that it is ultimately shed whether we are reborn, or whether we move on to the next level.

The the unit of analysis (in life, as in the afterlife) in all of this is something rather more complicated than our mind created conventional and personal sense of self...
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2008 at 8:35am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.