Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Elkhart Tolle... (Read 10349 times)
briggs5534

Elkhart Tolle...
May 28th, 2008 at 12:38pm

What do you guys think about Elkhart?? I think he has some great teachings and I loved his book "The Power of Now." If, you guys haven't read his book, please do it for the better sake of yourselves..

peace n' love

IP Logged

Justin aka asltaomr
Ex Member

Re: Elkhart Tolle...
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2008 at 1:29pm

To some extent, various teachers are needed in the Earth, and i'm grateful for everyone of them with a more pure, loving motivation.   Yet, those who perceive perfectly (or limitlessly) are those who fully live perfectly (limitlessly).   Few are those in our recorded history and few in our modern times.  I personally know and am sure of only one who completely transcended the flesh while in same, but that's a loaded subject apparently and so i won't name names.

To me, it makes sense to listen more deeply and closely to those latter Earth incarnated teachers, but going within self is extremely important and ultimately becomes the guiding light once the basic, right ideals are established.

The weird thing is, you never really need a teacher, and yet for many it oft becomes beneficial at some point to listen to same if you do not become overly attached to them and/or their teachings.   Odd and contradictory boat we find ourselves in, isn't it?

To answer your question, he seems like a good author and teacher.   Whether or not he has completely transcended illusion within himself, and thus his perceptions are free of misconception, limitations, etc. is another question.   

People here are generally more interested in finding out stuff less through books than through direct self experiencing and exploring.

IP Logged

recoverer

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #2 - May 28th, 2008 at 1:42pm

Well put Justin. Regarding Elkhart Tolle, I read some of the power of now, and some of the things he says are good. I definitely don't believe he has all of the answers. It would be better if he taught what he teaches without labeling himself as enlightened. Eventually a person will get to the point where they realize that the word "enlightened" is way over used.

I'll say this for Elkhart. During an interview he stated that he doesn't like to be on tour for too long because he loses touch with the stillness. This is one of the most honest statements I've heard a guru make. Many try to claim that they are completely transcendent when they aren't.

I don't believe that enlightenment comes in the way Elkhart claims. You're depressed, you almost commit suicide, and then you become enlightened. If this were true so many suicides wouldn't take place and instead we'd have a bunch of enlightened people in this World.  Enlightenment, to whatever degree one has it, it doesn't have to be an all or nothing matter, comes through looking at one's limitations honestly and letting go of these limitations. Sometimes these limitations include the belief systems we picked up from gurus. If we can't get ourselves to the point where we will question the assertions of our favorite gurus, how far will we progress?

IP Logged

briggs5534

Reply #3 - May 28th, 2008 at 1:46pm

recoverer wrote on May 28th, 2008 at 1:42pm:
Well put Justin. Regarding Elkhart Tolle, I read some of the power of now, and some of the things he says are good. I definitely don't believe he has all of the answers. It would be better if he taught what he teaches without labeling himself as enlightened. Eventually a person will get to the point where they realize that the word "enlightened" is way over used.

I'll say this for Elkhart. During an interview he stated that he doesn't like to be on tour for too long because he loses touch with the stillness. This is one of the most honest statements I've heard a guru make. Many try to claim that they are completely transcendent when they aren't.

I don't believe that enlightenment comes in the way Elkhart claims. You're depressed, you almost commit suicide, and then you become enlightened. If this were true so many suicides wouldn't take place and instead we'd have a bunch of enlightened people in this World.  Enlightenment, to whatever degree one has it, it doesn't have to be an all or nothing matter, comes through looking at one's limitations honestly and letting go of these limitations. Sometimes these limitations include the belief systems we picked up from gurus. If we can't get ourselves to the point where we will question the assertions of our favorite gurus, how far will we progress?

Good points, you guys... I agree, that you must always question your teacher and not take every single word for what they say it is.. Because really it all just comes from your own inner experience, that gives you the right answer.. No one can tell you what life is, it has to come from your own feelings about life..

I know Elkhart doesn't have all the answers, but to me he is a good start.. I have many teachers and I don't just stick to one.. From many different philosophies.. I'm trying not to get stuck in one belief system..

peace n' love

IP Logged

Justin aka asltaomr
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 28th, 2008 at 2:08pm

briggs5534 wrote on May 28th, 2008 at 1:46pm:
Good points, you guys... I agree, that you must always question your teacher and not take every single word for what they say it is.. Because really it all just comes from your own inner experience, that gives you the right answer.. No one can tell you what life is, it has to come from your own feelings about life..

I know Elkhart doesn't have all the answers, but to me he is a good start.. I have many teachers and I don't just stick to one.. From many different philosophies.. I'm trying not to get stuck in one belief system..

peace n' love

That's a very good stance to take Briggs, or at least i believe.   I believe it's not so much about specific belief systems and all, but more about how one lives in relation to ones other selves and to Creation in general.

If you are loving, helpful, positive, kind, and appreciative to others and toward Creation in general, you will have nothing to worry about and everything to gain. 

Sure, some specific limiting beliefs here and there may have to get reevaluated, but by far it's how you live and treat others that's important and not so much the specifics of your beliefs UNLESS they are blocking certain aspects of doing the former. 

The path is totally Universal, though i would say some teachers are more effective catalysts than others in the direct and general sense. 

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #5 - May 28th, 2008 at 2:17pm

Elkhart:

Sounds like a great plan. Don't make the mistake I made and get stuck in any one way of thinking for too long.  Despite how it might seem, I'm not sorry that I got involved with Advaita Vedanta because I did learn some things during that stage of my life that were useful. 

Regarding how much Elkhart helps people, I figure it varies from person to person. We have different needs during different stages of our life.

peace n' love [/quote]

IP Logged

briggs5534

Reply #6 - May 28th, 2008 at 2:18pm

Hey,

I agree, wholeheartedly with you as well! I just try to treat everyone with the same respect I like to be treated.. I try not to judge anyone.. So, it's best to just go with the flow and be a loving person..

peace n' love

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #7 - May 28th, 2008 at 2:47pm

briggs:

I hope I didn't write anything that you found to be offensive.  When a person asks what people think of a source of information, I figure he or she wants to hear what people think.  I could keep quiet, but I don't believe it would be loving for me to do so. If we can't share what our experience has showed us, what are we left with?

briggs5534 wrote on May 28th, 2008 at 2:18pm:
Hey,

I agree, wholeheartedly with you as well! I just try to treat everyone with the same respect I like to be treated.. I try not to judge anyone.. So, it's best to just go with the flow and be a loving person..

peace n' love

IP Logged

blink
Ex Member

Reply #8 - May 28th, 2008 at 4:51pm

Hi Briggs, I loved The Power of Now back when it came out. It helped me a lot at the time when I read the book and listened to his cassette tape in my car. I have skimmed most of A New Earth, not so long ago. I like Tolle a lot, and I can see why he is so popular.  

I suppose, from my own point of view, that it doesn't really matter to me whether someone calls himself "enlightened" or not. Not in any way that counts, I could say.  There are a few ways a book can fall into my hands...I could pick it up, someone could hand it to me, or maybe I might write it myself. All the same to me.

Tolle is a very calming influence, and no doubt is accomplishing a great deal in his quiet way. I think the world could use a few more friends like him.

IP Logged

briggs5534

Reply #9 - May 28th, 2008 at 5:07pm

recoverer wrote on May 28th, 2008 at 2:47pm:
briggs:

I hope I didn't write anything that you found to be offensive.  When a person asks what people think of a source of information, I figure he or she wants to hear what people think.  I could keep quiet, but I don't believe it would be loving for me to do so. If we can't share what our experience has showed us, what are we left with?

Hey,

peace n' love

Hey Recoverer,

Oh, not at all my friend.. That's why I asked in the first place.. I don't want people to spoon feed and sugarcoat stuff.. I'm glad your bringing something different to the table.. It opens my eyes to seek the truth... Right now though Advaita Vedanta is helping me out and other people I talk to with different philosophies...

Thanks, for your feedback!! Smiley

NAMASTE! peace n' love

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #10 - May 28th, 2008 at 5:27pm

briggs:

You don't want people to sugar coat stuff? That's music to my ears.  Smiley I've found that good friends can speak honestly with each other. For example, Justin and I aren't afraid to be direct with each other on personal messages. However, we never communicate to each other in a vindictive way.

briggs5534 wrote on May 28th, 2008 at 5:07pm:
recoverer wrote on May 28th, 2008 at 2:47pm:
briggs:

I hope I didn't write anything that you found to be offensive.  When a person asks what people think of a source of information, I figure he or she wants to hear what people think.  I could keep quiet, but I don't believe it would be loving for me to do so. If we can't share what our experience has showed us, what are we left with?

Hey,

peace n' love

Hey Recoverer,

Oh, not at all my friend.. That's why I asked in the first place.. I don't want people to spoon feed and sugarcoat stuff.. I'm glad your bringing something different to the table.. It opens my eyes to seek the truth... Right now though Advaita Vedanta is helping me out and other people I talk to with different philosophies...

Thanks, for your feedback!! Smiley

NAMASTE! peace n' love

« Last Edit: May 28th, 2008 at 7:47pm by recoverer »  

IP Logged

briggs5534

Reply #11 - May 28th, 2008 at 5:32pm

Hey, good to see that your an honest person! That's what I want from everyone.. I just don't want to be associated with any religion really or guru teacher.. Because it's all really up to myself and God to choose the best path for myself..

I'm not really anti-religous ,but I guess it's all for the right thing..

That's why I like taking the non-duality approach in life.. Because you don't separate people from others.. Were all created in God's image...That's what I like so much about advaita vedanta..

So, keep talking to me about your opinions on the things l'm interested in..

peace n' love
« Last Edit: May 28th, 2008 at 10:58pm by briggs5534 »  

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #12 - May 28th, 2008 at 6:52pm

This site Briggs has been a big help to me too. Writing is sometimes a great way of exploring our own view on stuff. There's very few places where it's possible to discuss this sort of stuff, and as such it's a resource to be treasured.

I'd have to say that I'm a fan of Eckhardt Tolle too. Much as you guys say he may or may not be the real deal - but it's clear that he has a gift for putting teaching that feels right in a very practical and consequently usable way. My sense is that he transmits rather more than the words too.

I'm there too as you know on beliefs. My sense is that getting attached to beliefs is the biggest barrier to our opening there is. It happens so subtly.

Language is another issue - between it's limitations when dealing with the ultimately inexpressible, and the tendency we all have to selectively perceive it can be very hard to not get our wires crossed...

IP Logged

briggs5534

Reply #13 - May 28th, 2008 at 10:57pm

Quote:
This site Briggs has been a big help to me too. Writing is sometimes a great way of exploring our own view on stuff. There's very few places where it's possible to discuss this sort of stuff, and as such it's a resource to be treasured.

I'd have to say that I'm a fan of Eckhardt Tolle too. Much as you guys say he may or may not be the real deal - but it's clear that he has a gift for putting teaching that feels right in a very practical and consequently usable way. My sense is that he transmits rather more than the words too.

I'm there too as you know on beliefs. My sense is that getting attached to beliefs is the biggest barrier to our opening there is. It happens so subtly.

Language is another issue - between it's limitations when dealing with the ultimately inexpressible, and the tendency we all have to selectively perceive it can be very hard to not get our wires crossed...

Your right this is a great site! To me honestly, Elkhart Tolle is an honest person.. I wouldn't say he's the best teacher or anything, but he totally is an enlightened person.. You can tell just by his pure prescence.. Just watch his videos and you will know what I mean.. From what I've watched on him and read his books, he seems to speak from the heart and is very truthful..

peace n' love

IP Logged

gordon phinn

toronto, canada
Reply #14 - May 31st, 2008 at 7:34pm

Briggs: he's the genuine article alright; a real teacher with an important message to impart.  Important for a new generation that is, those who missed the great Alan Watts, another fine modern american teacher in the Zen tradition.  I spent a lot of the seventies and eighties reading and mulling over Alan Watts and some of the more traditional zen teachings, so most of Tolle is "old hat" to me.
And that's not bragging; that's just what happens when you've been around awhile.

gordon phinn

briggs5534 wrote on May 28th, 2008 at 12:38pm:
What do you guys think about Elkhart?? I think he has some great teachings and I loved his book "The Power of Now." If, you guys haven't read his book, please do it for the better sake of yourselves..

peace n' love

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.