Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Golden Compass (Read 5796 times)
vajra
Ex Member

Golden Compass
Dec 12th, 2007 at 6:25pm

Went to the movie Golden Compass tonight while killing time before my son's band went on and not expecting too much.

What an interesting film. It's not the subtlest treatment ever, but there it was again in mainstream Hollywood - the issue of authoritarian egotistical mind versus restoration (but now integrated with and disciplined by the intellect that we've been developing since the Renaissance) of the (higher) knowing, feeling, intuitive mind that in this age of Aquarius seems to be central to our next phase of growth.

Very relevant given the disccussion we have going here discerning and separating egotistical urges from intuition, feeling and guidance on the 'Heartache' thread. Life is wonderful, and far from accidental - I'd been thinking about this very issue and lo and behold - completely by chance I found myself at a movie on the topic. You'll notice this sort of thing happening if you go with the flow for a while and are open to the possibility of synchronicities.

In the parallel reality of the movie a person's spirit is a daemon in the form of an animal that communicates directly with them. Grace or higher intuitive knowing (the source of love) is dust that is increasingly descending from the cosmos via their daemon. Children and gypsies are depicted as good guys. The ruling 'magesterium' wants to dictate all, and is scared stiff that people are being disturbed by the 'ideas' and urge to self direction the dust provokes, and hatch this scheme to use a machine to separate people from their daemons while still children and so render them amenable to authority for the rest of their lives.

It's complete with stuffed shirt dictators and bureaucrats from the magesterium dressed up like the variety of priests and preachers that purported to be the sole line to God and liked to do just that. They have children's daemon's able to change form, but adults fixed. There's even mention of a coming war between these views.

I'm sure there's loads of symbology in there that I missed.

I sincerely hope we don't end up with war, and that we can find a way through without that but one way of looking at the idea of armageddon and the coming awakening and changes is precisely as this sort of shake out between the fearful stuck with the ego in the head, and those whose heart is opening, and who are awakening.

I can't help thinking that things will get a lot worse before they get better as the former (which includes lots of prescriptive fundamentalist religion) become more and more frightened of the latter and out fear of others and loss of material 'progress' seek to impose control.

There's a surprisngly large number of mainstream Hollywood movies now which embody either this sort of message, or not so subtle propaganda for the new world order and its way of doing things.

The movie got mixed reviews here as critics here couldn't figure what it was about (or didn't want to say), but it looks like this aspect of the story (which is what this and a lot of movies are about now) went straight over their heads...
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2007 at 9:05pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

AhSoLaoTsuAhhOmmra
Ex Member

Re: Golden Compass
Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 2:05am

Quote:
Went to the movie Golden Compass tonight while killing time before my son's band went on and not expecting too much.

What an interesting film. It's not the subtlest treatment ever, but there it was again in mainstream Hollywood - the issue of authoritarian egotistical mind versus restoration (but now integrated with and disciplined by the intellect that we've been developing since the Renaissance) of the (higher) knowing, feeling, intuitive mind that in this age of Aquarius seems to be central to our next phase of growth.

Very relevant given the discussion we have going here discerning and separating egotistical urges from intuition, feeling and guidance on the 'Heartache' thread. Life is wonderful, and far from accidental - I'd been thinking about this very issue and lo and behold - completely by chance I found myself at a movie on the topic. You'll notice this sort of thing happening if you go with the flow for a while and are open to the possibility of synchronicities.

In the parallel reality of the movie a person's spirit is a daemon in the form of an animal that communicates directly with them. Grace or higher intuitive knowing (the source of love) is dust that is increasingly descending from the cosmos via their daemon. Children and gypsies are depicted as good guys. The ruling 'magesterium' wants to dictate all, and is scared stiff that people are being disturbed by the 'ideas' and urge to self direction the dust provokes, and hatch this scheme to use a machine to separate people from their daemons while still children and so render them amenable to authority for the rest of their lives.

It's complete with stuffed shirt dictators and bureaucrats from the magesterium dressed up like the variety of priests and preachers that purported to be the sole line to God and liked to do just that. They have children's daemon's able to change form, but adults fixed. There's even mention of a coming war between these views.

I'm sure there's loads of symbology in there that I missed.

I sincerely hope we don't end up with war, and that we can find a way through without that but one way of looking at the idea of armageddon and the coming awakening and changes is precisely as this sort of shake out between the fearful stuck with the ego in the head, and those whose heart is opening, and who are awakening.

I can't help thinking that things will get a lot worse before they get better as the former (which includes lots of prescriptive fundamentalist religion) become more and more frightened of the latter and out fear of others and loss of material 'progress' seek to impose control.

There's a surprisngly large number of mainstream Hollywood movies now which embody either this sort of message, or not so subtle propaganda for the new world order and its way of doing things.

The movie got mixed reviews here as critics here couldn't figure what it was about (or didn't want to say), but it looks like this aspect of the story (which is what this and a lot of movies are about now) went straight over their heads...

Good movie, saw it the other day as well.  Yup, loads of symbolism in there, relating to real issues going on right now.   

My hunch is that we are going to go through a cycle of seeming chaos for a little while.  People and civilization in general is going to get quite a bit shookened up.  For some, or many, this will be quite challenging, for change is quite scary to many people.  But in the long term, we will see its the best thing that could have happened to us considering the current state of this dimension and many of its inhabitants. 

Many will use these challenges and change positively, and make huge and importantly more collective spiritual leaps.  Yet, its still going to be a much more gradual process than many channelers out there have characterized it as. 

Btw, the "ego" is not in the head, and nor is ego synonymous with the left brain aspect of self. "Head" and "Heart" are equally important, such as masculine and feminine are equally important.  The issue or problem always, always lies in the imbalance between same.   When they are completely balanced and merged, then does "reality" open up completely for a person. 

If you haven't already, check out Bob Monroe's account of meeting "He/She" in his last book.   One of the first things that Bob notices about the radiation or emanation of this person, is that its completely and perfectly balanced between what he perceived and labeled as "masculine" and  "feminine", and this is why Bob ended up giving this person the temporary name of "He/She".  While He/She isn't physically androgynous, it is energetically androgynous.  (many "enlightened" E.T.'s are actually physically androgynous though). 

Sometimes when we are over polarized to one, we either dismiss and belittle the other polarity (you see this often with and between men and women, and the common self righteous wars between same on both sides), OR sometimes (less often it seems) we over idealize the other polarity we don't have enough of, too much.   Some folks swing from one extreme to another, and rather constantly.   Some are more consistently imbalanced and over polarized to one over the other.   Few, so very few to date, hold and perfectly maintain that balance and merging.   Those who do, become like "He/She", deathless, ageless, and not limited at all by space/time vibratory patterns even while still partaking of same.   

So eventually, Heart and Head merge, just as Yin-Yang, right brain and left brain, negative and positive can merge. 

For some, they need to concentrate more on Head in this life.   For others, some need to concentrate more on Heart in this life.   It depends and is relative to the individual.  It sometimes changes from one to another for an individual even within the same physical life.   It seems like very generally speaking, many more men need to concentrate on Heart to achieve that perfect balance, and many more women on average need to concentrate on Head for same.
  But that is an over generalization really.   Plenty of women are imbalanced towards the masculine on the inner levels and vice versa with plenty of men.   I'm just speaking in  averages and tendencies.  Funny enough though, the archetypal "feminine" came before the masculine, but Source it seems was rather unfufilled in that purely feminine state of being.   Source then "masturbated" and became forever joyous in that masturbating.   Cheesy Wink Grin  Course, then masturbation eventually led to real love making, and the Planning Intelligence got the first and full taste of what its like to have sex with the Creator.   The Creator says, "bloody Heck, of course i'm good in bed!"  "Once you go Creator, you never get mo sated, Onhuh, Honey"

Anyways, thanks for the above post and thread.   I totally get where you are coming from in your ponderings on this movie and how it relates to this critical, crisis, but opportunity filled cycle we now find ourselves in.

IP Logged

B-dawg

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Missoula, Montana
Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 3:46am

I understand that "Golden Compass" has gotten a lot of evangelical
Christians upset with their panties all in a bunch, decrying this
movie's "message." Why is this, I wonder..?

B-mused

IP Logged

AhSoLaoTsuAhhOmmra
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 4:19am

Quote:
I understand that "Golden Compass" has gotten a lot of evangelical
Christians upset with their panties all in a bunch, decrying this
movie's "message." Why is this, I wonder..?

B-mused

Dunno, is it important though to you what evangelical Christians think or get upset about?  Good to have you around again B-dude.   I missed your melodramatic energy, and your unique sense of humor.   You are the Ding to Don's Dong.    Wink

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 9:09am

I wasn't aware that the movie had gotten controversial guys, but then i suppose if i picked up the symbolism then it's pretty overt!  Roll Eyes

No problem on the left brain/right brain/ego thing J. I guess in this time we are conditioned to overuse the  intellectual/thinking/discursive brain, the emotional/intuitive side has at least in the corridors of power become  devalued. In addition, whether it's because of or as well we tend to be lodged in a selfish and egotistical view - one which isn't necessarily just a consequence of over use of the thinking brain. i.e. this combination isn't a given, it's also possible to have a selfish and egotistical emotionalism.

I'm inclined to characterise us as needing to both raise our awareness and re-connect with our intuition to live from love, although it may be that these come together. (the next step up on Jacob's ladder) We as you say need both intellect and intuition perfectly merged to do this properly.

This I suppose is why the fundamentalist authoritarian tendency is scared of this sort of stuff. We've spent centuries learning to think fairly logically, even if it has become somewhat of an obsession which has cost us a lot of our heart. We've in addition become addicted to having ever higher material standards of living - for most this is inextricably linked with progress, and with this style of thought.

Higher consciousness implies retaining this skill while re-connecting with our higher knowing/intuition - creating a consciousness that's greater than the sum of the parts.

The fear I guess is that we will instead descend again to emotionally driven indiscipline and anarchy, and in doing so destroy the civilisation and the prosperity we have built which while it has its downsides is perceived by most as being a lot better than living in a cave. (never mind that its not sustainable anyway - most don't want to go there)

There is a very real risk of such a descent - there's lots who will seize upon any possibility of freedom, but who will instead abuse it for selfish ends, and in doing so destroy everything.

We really are trying to thread the eye of a needle. If we go too fast on breaking down the old structures before people become capable of self regulation we'll probably get  anarchy. If the fear of the fundamentalists gets too great we'll probably see all sorts of religious wars and repressions of spiritual freedoms.

In practice we'll probably see the whole continuum play out....
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2007 at 10:38am by N/A »  

IP Logged

betson

Afterlife Knowledge Member

SE USA
Reply #5 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 11:45am

Greetings,

Reading these reviews and comments I was taken by the anti-authoritarian theme you discovered in your interpretations. In SE USA the reviews are all that the film threatens God Himself !  According to them, the author is an atheistic monster who has promised to kill God in the minds of children. (That's an almost direct quote.) Even 'alternative' newpapers that historically had an independent viewpoint have missed the greater ideas you report. OMGoodness!

Now I see the link, that the criticisms of the film in the US newspapers are surely promoted by business-bureacratic authority/power/status quo. I wondered how the churches had got word to the papers so fast. Anyway, the churches near us are far too busy building their 'drive-through Christmas' (direct quote) to be writing and influencing film reviewers. Truly, the film has been negatively blitzed in both news articles and reviews in what has to be a directed campaign.

Fubar, the answer to your question, from MPOV, is that all aspects of US 'news' are regulated far more than I had feared.

Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

AhSoLaoTsuAhhOmmra
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 2:23pm

Yeah Bets, essentially the "magesterium" group in the book, is much like what some today call the "Cabal".  A group of extremely wealthy, influential, power hungry (more like power mad), and very control oriented folks but who for the most part keep their identities on the down-low.

Vajra wrote,
Quote:
No problem on the left brain/right brain/ego thing J. I guess in this time we are conditioned to overuse the  intellectual/thinking/discursive brain, the emotional/intuitive side has at least in the corridors of power become  devalued. In addition, whether it's because of or as well we tend to be lodged in a selfish and egotistical view - one which isn't necessarily just a consequence of over use of the thinking brain. i.e. this combination isn't a given, it's also possible to have a selfish and egotistical emotionalism.   

Too right, and totally agree, in our mainstream western cultures, the left brain has been way too emphasized.   Partly because its been such a male dominated society in the last two Ages.  Pisces tried to inject some feminine into us, but Aries was just so masculinely polarized that its taken all of Pisces and some of Aquarius to start to gain a greater balance.

I have a theory that the "androgynous" point in the Zodiac, is at early Pisces being cusped by Aquarius.   Pisces is a bit more femininely polarized inherently, and Aquarius a bit more masculinely polarized inherently, but both signs are more balanced between the two than any other of the signs in the Zodiac...so when you combine the two, you get androgynous.    It is the true "violet" point in the Zodiac, which is a bit like a color wheel.  And true violet is the fastest vibration we can physically perceive in regards to color (and of course, violet is the balance between red and blue, active/will and receptive/drawing in). 

Guess where we are right now?    Right under that cusping of Pisces and Aquarius.   We're at about 3 or so degrees Pisces right now.   Give a take a degree depending on who you talk too.   When we get to 0 degrees Pisces (pure violet point), which isn't for a hundred to a couple hundred years or so, woo boy, physical earth life will be quite interesting.  Of course, the outer is only mirroring what's going on with the inner, not actually "creating" it. 

But yeah, i think/feel many us, particularly us men folk, would do well to concentrate more on the Heart and on the Right brain aspects of self.  Buddhism i get the sense, is a bit imbalanced to the Yin and Heart energy polarity, which is part of the reason of why it seems you are so attracted to it, being imbalanced a bit towards the masculine/Yang.   You intuitively/spiritually sense that Buddhism can help foster that necessary balance.   I think Buddhism is very helpful for you, but that doesn't mean its got the whole enchilada for everyone else though.

I was very close to my mom (even born on the same b-day), who was somewhat unusually balanced and intune, and that i believe helped me a lot to identify and get in touch with that repressed and suppressed Yin polarity in our country and culture, at an earlier age than many other males.    While i have and did repress the feeling/receptive nature here and there, for the most part, consistently speaking i've always been rather open to the feeling nature.  Feeling and receptivity is very important, especially in this day and age, but it aint the whole enchilada.   There is such a condition as too much passiveness, stillness, and receptivity, and not enough active doingness, movement, creating, etc.    I sometimes see that in some female Buddhists that i've interacted with, and in that case, unlike yours, its more "like attracts and begets like" than "opposites in the Earth attract" (which only happens in the physical). 

Interesting stuff though.

IP Logged

orlando123

France
Reply #7 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 7:43pm

This film is based on the first book of a trilogy by the British author Phillip Pullman, who is much admired in Britain, but not by evangelical Christians or traditional Catholics, I don't think...

In the books the evil magisterium is explicitly a church, and represents a god figure called the Authority (I think it is referred to as the church, more often than the Magisterium). In particular it resembles Roman Catholicism. The film makers deliberately played this down somewhat , and NIcole Kidman said she would not have wanted to be in an anti-catholic film,  even if the world "magisterium" itself, retained in the film, is one traditionally linked to the Catholic CHurch..

[wikipedia: Magisterium (from the Latin magister, "teacher") is a technical ecclesiastical term in the Roman Catholic Church referring to the teaching authority of the church. This authority is understood to be embodied in the episcopacy, which is the aggregation of the current bishops of the church, led by the Bishop of Rome (the Pope), who has authority over the bishops, individually and as a body, as well as over each and every Catholic directly. According to Catholic doctrine, the Magisterium is able to teach or interpret the truths of the Faith infallibly]

In one of the later books The Authority is seen as an evil dictator, who is not really the maker of the universe but usurped his position of authority - a kind of corrupted angel, now old and weak.  In this respect, the book is similar to what some Gnostics believed about the Old Testament God. I think Pullman is often seen as atheistic, and certainly he seems to dislike organized religion, but I am not aware about whether or not he personally espouses some broader, less dogmatic form of spirituality, or is purely a humanist, believing in human potential and goodness without holding supernatural beliefs (I think it may be more the latter - certainly I think he would stress his books are fiction and do not factually represent how he thinks the universe works). Either way, I agree the film, and books , can be said to have a broadly "spiritual" quality in their message of affirming human dignity and free thought etc against rigid authoritarianism

I was pleasantly surprised by the film, having read it was going to be ruined by efforts not to offend anyone

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 8:38pm

Can anybody explain what exactly the fundamentalist objection to the film is?

While I enjoyed the it, and was dead pleased to see a broadly constructive message (by my judgement) message being put across, there were aspects of the message I'd struggle to agree with.

For example a readiness to pitch up in terms of a war between what amounts to good and evil. In truth I'm not quite sure where the line lies exactly, but I struggle to imagine aggressive action that has compassion at heart.

Violence has this terrible tendency to escalate, to evoke more violence. Even when we think we're doing 'good' we seem actually to be generating fear and enmity that can only lead to more trouble. It may be that there is such a thing as necessary violence, but it's not clear to me where the balance lies.

Thoughts???

IP Logged

Old Dood

Lansing
Reply #9 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 7:19am

I haven't seen the film.(I am skipping many posts here as to not spoil it for me)
I just started reading the first book in that series.

Seems to be a enjoyable read anyways.
I haven't read a 'fun' book in a while.

I may suggest that if you are puting in 'Spoilers' to the movie to do so in the title of your posts or even go back and edit your posts with a 'Spoiler Tag' so people will not read them.

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 7:30am

Sorry Dude, never crossed my mind....

IP Logged

Old Dood

Lansing
Reply #11 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 7:45am

Quote:
Sorry Dude, never crossed my mind....

It is A-OK.  I understand. (You are another one of The Best Here as well...Smiley)
A lot of us wait until the DVD comes out to see movies.
I spend enough on Comcast Cable with HD each month that I rarely go to theaters.
For one people ANNOY me in theaters.
At home I control the movie and if I want to take a break for a smoke or a Bio-Break I can pause. hehe!

I did see Beowulf at the theater.  That is a MUST in 3D.
Fantastic! 3D has come a long way since the cheap paper glasses.

IP Logged

Nanner

Theres only AGAPE

Hamburg, Germany
Reply #12 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 7:50am

Havent seen it yet in germany, is it out here yet? Does anyone in Deutschland know what the title of it would be in deutsch?
Wink
Nanneranja Grin

IP Logged

orlando123

France
Reply #13 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 8:47am

Quote:
Can anybody explain what exactly the fundamentalist objection to the film is?

While I enjoyed the it, and was dead pleased to see a broadly constructive message (by my judgement) message being put across, there were aspects of the message I'd struggle to agree with.

For example a readiness to pitch up in terms of a war between what amounts to good and evil. In truth I'm not quite sure where the line lies exactly, but I struggle to imagine aggressive action that has compassion at heart.

Violence has this terrible tendency to escalate, to evoke more violence. Even when we think we're doing 'good' we seem actually to be generating fear and enmity that can only lead to more trouble. It may be that there is such a thing as necessary violence, but it's not clear to me where the balance lies.

Thoughts???

As I said, the basis of it is fighting against a repressive church-like body that thinks it has all the answers, so I guess many Christian churches potentially feel targeted, even though the Catholic church is most obviously referenced

Re the violence , I do think there are "just wars" - like fighting against Hitler, for example. But apart from that, fantasy books very often have battles and they are very often presented in rather black and white, good vs. evil plots - that's nothing new (see Lord of the Rings , for example).

Re. Pullman again, his wikipedia has this to say:

[he had said] "I find the books upholding certain values that I think are important. Such as that this life is immensely valuable. And that this world is an extraordinarily beautiful place, and we should do what we can to increase the amount of wisdom in the world"

Pullman has found support from [some] Christians, most notably Rowan Williams, the Archbishop of Canterbury. These groups and individuals contend that Pullman's negative portrayal of the "Church" in His Dark Materials amounts to an attack on dogmatism and the use of religion to oppress, not on Christianity itself. Dr. Williams has gone so far as to propose that His Dark Materials be taught as part of religious education in schools. Moreover, authors of works dedicated to critical appraisals of religious themes in his writing have described Pullman as a friendly and generous debating partner.

Other Christian writers, such as Kurt Bruner and Jim Ware, while finding his anti-Christian position troubling, "also uncover spiritual themes within the books, which, like shafts of light, break through an otherwise gloomy universe... In the end, the authors argue that Pullman offers an unwitting tribute to the God he intended to discredit

« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2007 at 5:14pm by orlando123 »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.