Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Annihilation versus "Eternal Torture"... (Read 8118 times)
dave_a_mbs

Afterlife Knowledge Member

central california
Re: Annihilation versus "Eternal Torture"...
Reply #15 - Dec 11th, 2007 at 9:10pm

Seems to me that curageous people make courageous mistakes and get courageous karma - hot like my tea. Smiley Wimpy people make wimply mistakes and get wimpy karma. I think Jesus' remark about them was, "Because thou art neither hot nor cold I shall spew thee out of my mouth."

Courageous people also tend to get there faster, whether they believe in the current mythology or not. Reminds me of Star Trek where Klingons scream loudly when a friend dies - to warn the lord of death to watch out.

What I don't understand is how come you let these people rain on your parade?

dave

life is too short to drink sour wine
IP Logged

B-dawg

Missoula, Montana
Reply #16 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 5:40pm

Seems to me that curageous people make courageous mistakes and get courageous karma - hot like my tea. Smiley Wimpy people make wimply mistakes and get wimpy karma. I think Jesus' remark about them was, "Because thou art neither hot nor cold I shall spew thee out of my mouth."

Courageous people also tend to get there faster, whether they believe in the current mythology or not. Reminds me of Star Trek where Klingons scream loudly when a friend dies - to warn the lord of death to watch out.

What I don't understand is how come you let these people rain on your parade?

dave
Well Dave,
I'm a sort of poor man by American standards. But I'm a RICH man by planetary standards. And my level of physical health is TRULY unusual by world standards! This world is sheer, utter hell for 90% of the people upon it.
Makes me wonder, what tortures await  me after I die. (Does "God"
like to play games, ya think???)
Does it not stand to reason that if a "God" exists (or even an intelligent "akashic ether" or what have you) that He/It is an evil, sadistic XXXXXXXXX??? (And look at the animal kingdom, where some 60% or so of animals are parasites on others. What sort of "God" would create tapeworms, or grubs which eat out the insides of other animals while they are alive. Or how about the leprosy bacillus??? Sure you can have brutalities like predation, war, ect. but some forms of suffering - including those of ANIMALS, who one cannot accuse of sin - seem more the work of an evil genius that a callous, or even stupid creator...)

B-humanoid
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2007 at 7:49pm by Bruce Moen »  

IP Logged

pratekya

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #17 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 7:08pm

Bman -
I know your post wasn't directed at me but I would like to respond.

Quote:
And my level of physical health is TRULY unusual by world standards! This world is sheer, utter hell for 90% of the people upon it.

This is the argument of evil and suffering again.  Natural evil (and suffering) comes about because there needs to be regular laws of nature that form a baseline, so that cause and effect are in play, and actual moral choices can be made and ethics can happen.  If someone has a physical ailment, its because there are physical laws that govern our present existence, and if we didn't have them then the universe would not make sense, and causality would break down.  If only the good results happened and cause and effect broke down people would have good health magically, no matter what was done to their bodies.  Then actually doing something terrible to someone else's body would no longer have an ethical or moral component to the action, or would have an unclear moral consequence.
 Its debatable whether or not the physical universe was created for anything else other than the possibility of real moral choices to come about.

Quote:
Makes me wonder, what tortures await  me after I die. (Does "God"
like to play games, ya think???)
Does it not stand to reason that if a "God" exists (or even an intelligent "akashic ether" or what have you) that He/It is an evil, sadistic XXXXXXX???

And what reason do you have to back up this view of God?  The fact that there are repercussions for poor behavior?  Actually the idea that there is justice in the afterlife makes up for the fact that people can have terrible lives presently, and actually brings meaning to suffering and pain.  If there was no justice in the afterlife, if there was not a God who set up laws of (spiritual) cause and effect, then the world would truly be an absurd, sick joke for most of humanity.  Most people talk about this as 'the problem of evil' as an argument against Christianity.  I think the real 'problem of evil' is that if one doesn't believe in an afterlife there truly is no meaning, goal, or value in all of life that is permanent and worthwhile - life, and especially pain and suffering, is a sick joke for most of humanity.

Quote:
(And look at the animal kingdom, where some 60% or so of animals are parasites on others. What sort of "God" would create tapeworms, or grubs which eat out the insides of other animals while they are alive. Or how about the leprosy bacillus??? Sure you can have brutalities like predation, war, ect. but some forms of suffering - including those of ANIMALS, who one cannot accuse of sin - seem more the work of an evil genius that a callous, or even stupid creator...)

The suffering of animals come about not because of their sin (which they don't have), but because of these natural laws that are in play which are necessary for an orderly universe to exist.  And an orderly universe is necessary for ethical and moral choices to be made.  Tapeworms and other parasites came about through natural selection, which is a law that governs interactions that leads to evolution.  To have the evolution of thinking creatures, natural selection must allow for the development of parasites as well.  You cannot have one without the other, while still upholding cause and effect for the majority of events of the world.

Put another way, how could God create a physical existence that didn't have cause and effect in play where there is a real ethical system produced?  Or how could God keep the positive effects of natural selection / evolution while getting rid of the negative effects and still allow cause and effect to reign so that there could be a real ethical system?  The answer to both of these questions, is that it cannot be done.  If you set up laws that allow for the development of humanity in the form of a Francis of Assisi or Nietzsche, then the same laws allow for the development of tapeworms.

IP Logged

dave_a_mbs

central california
Reply #18 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 7:28pm

Well, B-Man, I'm at a loss to find a way that makes me think that any putative divine being would take the trouble to bother anyone. Doesn't compute.

If I screw up, like not putting gas in the car, I get karma, like running out of gas. The solution is add gas. There's no heaven or hell involved. If I were to do some stupid thing that would leave me feeling guilty, then at death I'd probably go to a place where I'd continue to feel guilty. That has nothing whatsoever to do with a God. When I got tired of feeling guilty, I'd go elsewhere. Again, no God required.

As far as I can see, the world is a logical place, and the only time we get to see God, at least from here, is when we look at the beginning of everything. God was the Big Creator - but now that it all is created, God seems to have fragmented to provide myriads of souls to experience the creation. So as those souls create their own problems they experience what they created - and since everyone is God, at least in this way of looking at it, you could say that God is what makes their afterlife. Or you could just notice that even when people are reporting their regressions, they generally have nothing at all to say about God - they're just dealing with their own stuff.

So it seems to me that the courageous person thus stops arguing with present day mythology and goes on forward to make things work. And whatever is experienced in that process is simply due to errors, if any, as well as accomplishments.

If you want my version of a quick trip to hell, how about those suicide bombers who die and go off into seclusion with 72 teen age virgins. That might be fun for a week or two, but can you imagine eternity, locked up with 72 screeching teeny boppers? And that too has nothing to do with God. Insted, it's the age old problem of getting what we wish for and then discovering that we didn't really want it. Or at least, not that way.

dave

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 8:49pm

Predictably enough I tend towards Dave's view on karma.

Another argument in favour of it is the thought that being happy in this life seems to require the development of equanimity (which in turn flows from higher consciousness and understanding of life, leading to support from higher energies and the collapse of delusional beliefs)  so that we  become able to rest easy with or 'go with the natural or divine flow' of events.

In the selfish and deluded mode that's more typical we end up always trying to buck this. We grasp after what we mistakenly presume will make us happy (money, women, cars whatever), and regardless of whether or not we succeed in realising our urges we usually end up making ourselves deeply unhappy.

In doing so we create a displacement of events away from the natural flow which seems to represent some sort of divine optimum.

Karma seems to amount to some sort of divine balancing of the books - when we create such a displacement from optimum in the flow of events we somehow end up having to ride out the consequences which show us the error of our ways, but which are painful. But which restore our consciousness to where it should have been again.

The issue underlying all of this seems to be that happiness arises not from altering our external circumstances, but from remaining connected with light, and by relating wisely to our experience.

Per the four noble truths there doesn't seem to be any means by which any particular external reality can bring anything better than a transient ersatz sort of happiness which in the longer term is anyway impermanent and going to cost us when the tide of our fortune turns. No matter what we try in this regard 'life is suffering......'

IP Logged

blink
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 9:11pm

It seems to me, B, that you have simulated annihilation every night when you go to sleep. I mean, how do you know you're going to wake up tomorrow?

Besides that, how do you know you're going to "wake up" in the next minute?

love, blink Smiley

IP Logged

AhSoLaoTsuAhhOmmra
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 2:27am

Quote:
It seems to me, B, that you have simulated annihilation every night when you go to sleep. I mean, how do you know you're going to wake up tomorrow?

Besides that, how do you know you're going to "wake up" in the next minute?

love, blink Smiley

Good and interesting point Blink.

IP Logged

B-dawg

Missoula, Montana
Reply #22 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 3:31am

[quote author=dave_a_mbs link=1197341178/15#18 date=1197502128]Well, B-Man, I'm at a loss to find a way that makes me think that any putative divine being would take the trouble to bother anyone. Doesn't compute.

If I screw up, like not putting gas in the car, I get karma, like running out of gas. The solution is add gas. There's no heaven or hell involved. If I were to do some stupid thing that would leave me feeling guilty, then at death I'd probably go to a place where I'd continue to feel guilty. That has nothing whatsoever to do with a God. When I got tired of feeling guilty, I'd go elsewhere. Again, no God required.

As far as I can see, the world is a logical place, and the only time we get to see God, at least from here, is when we look at the beginning of everything. God was the Big Creator - but now that it all is created, God seems to have fragmented to provide myriads of souls to experience the creation. So as those souls create their own problems they experience what they created - and since everyone is God, at least in this way of looking at it, you could say that God is what makes their afterlife. Or you could just notice that even when people are reporting their regressions, they generally have nothing at all to say about God - they're just dealing with their own stuff.

So it seems to me that the courageous person thus stops arguing with present day mythology and goes on forward to make things work. And whatever is experienced in that process is simply due to errors, if any, as well as accomplishments.

If you want my version of a quick trip to hell, how about those suicide bombers who die and go off into seclusion with 72 teen age virgins. That might be fun for a week or two, but can you imagine eternity, locked up with 72 screeching teeny boppers? And that too has nothing to do with God. Insted, it's the age old problem of getting what we wish for and then discovering that we didn't really want it. Or at least, not that way.

dave
Maybe I'm just a dirty old man, Dave... but I'd WAY rather spend eternity
locked up with 72 "teeny boppers" at my beck and call, than spend eternity in a... MONASTERY. (Which is how most religions picture "Heaven." You've gotta give Islam credit for SOMETHING. eh?)
That being said, I'd take oblivion over the teeny bopper party OR the monastery (or the Eternal Torture Pit for that matter.) The question is, will I get it..?

B-anthropoid

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 8:42am

Interestingly enough Buddhism argues that the apparent 'flow' of a continuous stream of consciousness is in fact a delusion. That as Blink says we mistake an unconnected series of moments of creation (dreaming) for this.

That continuity of awareness exists only at the level of the absolute, of for example the light discussed on the other thread. That we superimpose snatches of mind made experience over this.

It could be true - we certainly seem to experience abrupt breaks between moments of awareness. Watch carefully what's in your awareness at a given time. Its like something was abruptly switching us between channels - like some sort of celestial security guard sitting in front of a big bank of camera monitors and switching between them.

One moment conscious of an ache in the foot, then snap!, thinking about what's for lunch, then snap! teeny boppers. There really are abrupt breaks between them....

IP Logged

dave_a_mbs

central california
Reply #24 - Dec 15th, 2007 at 9:04pm

I recall somewhweere seeing a cartoon of God winding up the universe and setting it adrift to do its own thing. I think that's to the point. That we happen to derive from the same cosmic ectoplasm is, at least at the human level, not important. In order that this Cosmos thing work in a realistic manner, we have to fend for ourselves and not have some Cosmic Meddler messing it up. And that's also true for the afterlife.

I don't think God is malicious. I actually don't think God is much involved and interested on our level at all. "God is love," they say. That's nice. My parents were also loving when they watched me, at about three years old, pick up a bumble bee and get stung - "The kid's gotta learn." And that's to the point, although there might have been a better way.  We don't need God to hold our hands when we can blunder along by ourselves. The great value of negatve karma is that we learn - and unfortunately, we learn primarily through adversity. Reminds me of the Arab proverb, "The wise man trusts in Allah. But he still ties up his camel." So in this season of love and beauty I'm giving the wife a .380 ACP for Xmas. I love my neighbors, but I think the term is "tough love".

My experiences suggest that after the body falls off we realize that all of this stuff is a dream. We made it up. At that point we can recognize the nature of the dreamer, which makes us the ones who dream up reality. Or we can delegate authority back to God and come back for another round of BS. The latter case is pretty obvious - we see it everyday. The former, however, makes you God, and all the others around us equally so - even those snatches of mental imagery, like the 72 virgins, are thus our own fault - or blessing, depending upon taste. Sounds fishy to me, at any rate.  I suspect that the whole idea was to create more martyrs out of the gullible. - There is an advantage to that - it thins out the idiot population, a form of practical eugenics. Leaves me to wonder who's going to be left after they've blown up all their kids and can't have any more.

Anyhow, my friend, putting aside the icky sweetness of the seasonal potlatch, we get to the good wishes part. Here's to a round of brandied ciders, a bucket of Mead, a fireplace with the Yule log burning brightly, and maybe a Druidic damsel to help celebrate getting snowed in for a week - much better than teeny boppers!

dave

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.