Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Annihilation versus "Eternal Torture"... (Read 8114 times)
B-dawg

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Missoula, Montana
Annihilation versus "Eternal Torture"...
Dec 10th, 2007 at 10:46pm

I am not about to become a Christian, at least yet. (But
who knows? I met get Alzheimer's disease someday and
lose my capacity for critical thought.) Anyway...
I think that annihilation of unbelievers makes WAY more
sense than "eternal torture" for these reasons...
#1. My principal reason for rejecting Christianity (though FAR
from the only one!) is the idea that a "god" exists who would
create a race of mortals (without their express consent), refuse
to give them clear instructions on what they're supposed to do
(with the exception of a moldy, musty, dusty, foggy, almost-incomprehensible ancient book of questionable authorship) and
then consign most of them to a torture pit for some nebulous
offense called "original sin," a fate to be avoided ONLY by an act of groveling called "the sinner's prayer." I think that this doctrine breeds
loathing for "God" in far more people than merely myself. (Indeed, it
dooms COURAGEOUS humans to eternal suffering, and only allows
cowards/grovelers/obsequious toadies into "eternal life!" Why
would a "God" behave like the most contemptible form of
human - i.e., a bully?) Why would "God" create a punishment
which by reason of its very barbarism, caused people to "sin"
(i.e., reject "God") when they heard about it, and thus be eternally
"damned"? And why WOULD "God" hate courageous people so
much, that he created a universe in which only COWARDS could
evade eternal torture?
#2. The Bible say, that the wages of sin is DEATH. Death is death,
right? (Or is "God" a word-mincer? To be eternally tortured means
you're eternally ALIVE... right?)
#3. Punishment exists, to serve one of the following three purposes:
     #1. Rehabilitation. (Christian "Hell" lasts FOREVER and never ends,
           so much for that one. NEXT PLEASE...)
     #2. As an object lesson for others, as a DETERRENT. Well, unless                  
           "God" reserves the decision to kick the "saved" out of "heaven" -
           impossible, unless "sin" is still possible there among the "saved",
           which would invalidate the whole "holy god" notion - there is no   
           need for making an "example" out of unbelievers to keep the
           "saints" in line. What would be the point?
     #3. Vindictive sadism. That's what we're left with, folks! (Never mind 
           that unless "God" is an incompetent boob, "he" MEANT for
           humans to "sin." And if "he" is not incompetent, he is therefore a
           sadist, and therefore EVIL.)
I refuse to worship an inept deity. I doubly refuse to worship an EVIL deity.
I call this courage. Call me a fool? I call you a coward. If there really is an entity worthy of the name "God" out there somewhere - who/which would "he" find more offensive?
Any thoughts on this, kiddies?

B-hominid

P.S. As for annihilation of unbelievers... well, why not? It's what most
of them thought they would get after death anyway! Indeed, in the case of atheists and agnostics - by rejecting "God", they ARE choosing annihilation, quite consciously! (They ARE NOT choosing eternal torture, no matter how many TV preachers, tent revivalists, and half-baked medieval theologians say they are!)
If "God" exists, and "he" truly cannot abide "sinners" - well, I guess "he" has a right to not allow them into "his" presence. What would the point be of keeping them around in a "hell", though? Why not just snuff 'em instead? That's what most human dictators would do (and so would you really want to worship a "creator deity" who was more sadistic that Hitler, Stalin, Mao Tse-Tung, Slobodan Milosevic and Pol Pot put together? Think about this carefully, folks..!)

IP Logged

Berserk2

Re: Annihilation versus "Eternal Torture"...
Reply #1 - Dec 11th, 2007 at 12:10am

"I am not about to become a Christian, at least yet."
'cause it's easier to cool a hot coal than to warm up a corpse.
Honestly, when I drive by them liberal churches, I take my hat off out of respect for the dead.  
Fubar, God wants you to be happy and prosper.  But before you can receive from God, you need to give to His work by faith.  Send a check to my ministry at the address given in the  private message section, and just watch your new income pour in.  You know, Fubar, when people attend my meetings, they often ask me why there are so many cadillacs in the parking lot.  Well, God blesses those who give generously to this ministry."

"My principal reason for rejecting Christianity (though FAR
from the only one!) is the idea that a "god" exists who would
create a race of mortals (without their express consent...)"

"...refuse to give them clear instructions on what they're supposed to do
with the exception of a moldy, musty, dusty...almost-incomprehensible ancient book?"

OK, when I moved from Buffalo to Washington state, I forgot that I had put my old pizza on top of my Bibles, and, well, the rotting pizza made my Bibles moldy and musty.  I only opened that box a month later.  Bookstore Bibles might not be contaminated in this way.

"and then consign most of them to a torture pit for some nebulous offense called "original sin," a fate to be avoided ONLY by an act of groveling called "the sinner's prayer?"

Actually, you are mistaken on all 3 counts!  Hell is merely a self-chosen state of separation from God.  (2) The Bible does not teach original sin.  That doctrine is a much later patristic invention.  (3) Nowhere in the Bible do you find "the sinner's prayer."  I have some more palatable prayers that work very effectively, and even allow you to keep drinking beer and gambling."

"#3. Vindictive sadism. That's what we're left with, folks! (Never mind  
           that unless "God" is an incompetent boob, "he" MEANT for
           humans to "sin.""

Well, I must confess that the thought of you eternally watching reruns of  Jerry Falwell's sermons does seem wickedly delicious!
I
"Anyway...I think that annihilation of unbelievers makes WAY more
sense than "eternal torture" for these reasons...P.S. As for annihilation of unbelievers... well, why not? It's what most of them thought they would get after death anyway!"

Annihilation is revealed as a possibility by Bruce Moen's astral travels, Jesus' revelations to atheist Howard Storm during his NDE, and, yes, by the Bible.  Paul never mentions a word for Hell in his discussions of fate of sinners.  But he does agree with Bruce Moen and Howard Storm's Jesus in allowing for the possibility of annihilation just as you suggest (see e g. the use the Greek 'apoleia" [= "annihilation"] in Romans 9:22; Philippians 3:19).

Welcome back, B-man. I recognize your mellow understated style anywhere (e. g. your use of "darn" instead of the D-word).  After you left, there was a rumor that you had gotten religion and joined a Southern Baptist church.  Can it be that that rumor was mistaken. Oh, say it isn't so, Lord!   Sad

Don

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #2 - Dec 11th, 2007 at 12:56am

This is tiresome.  The idea that God is a caricature of a king on a throne, hurling lightning bolts, consigning some to Hell, mandating edicts of blind worship,etc...we've gone over it a thousand times, B-man, its all old/lame.  I'm surprised that Don has the energy to engage you anymore.

Anyone who reads this board will eventually share with others and with further investigation (on their own) get the message that consciousness, spirit, God and the universe are so much more than these childish renditions make them seem.

The only saving grace of your posts now, is that I actually believe that Don (dare I say it?) CARES about you, and might indeed be involved in a form of soul-bonding with you.  As such, I guess I kind of enjoy his smug humor and real (and only slightly hidden) desire to rescue you from your despair about God and christianity.

Sigh.

Matthew

IP Logged

B-dawg

Missoula, Montana
Reply #3 - Dec 11th, 2007 at 2:38am

[quote author=DocM link=1197341178/0#2 date=1197349000]This is tiresome.  The idea that God is a caricature of a king on a throne, hurling lightning bolts, consigning some to Hell, mandating edicts of blind worship,etc...we've gone over it a thousand times, B-man, its all old/lame.  I'm surprised that Don has the energy to engage you anymore.

Anyone who reads this board will eventually share with others and with further investigation (on their own) get the message that consciousness, spirit, God and the universe are so much more than these childish renditions make them seem.

The only saving grace of your posts now, is that I actually believe that Don (dare I say it?) CARES about you, and might indeed be involved in a form of soul-bonding with you.  As such, I guess I kind of enjoy his smug humor and real (and only slightly hidden) desire to rescue you from your despair about God and christianity.

Sigh.

Matthew
I'm not necessarily speaking of a personal god, Doc.
But I find the notion that I will be subjected to tortures
after I die, INCREDIBLY offensive. Not just me, but most
of my friends and all of my family members (the ones
I give a crap about, not the fundamentalists) will face
millennia of tortures because they weren't "saintly"
types, who'd rather freeze their butts off as bellringers
for the Salvation Army than kick back at home and eat pizza,
drink beer and watch football...
If Don is right, I face "hell realms" after I die, unless I'm willing
to torture myself in THIS life. But what IS the point of that?
It seems that the afterlife is all about self-denial and torture,
assuming it exists. It is just a matter of do you torture yourself,
or do you turn the task over to demons or whatever after
you die???
That's why I'd like to think there's a metaphysical escape
for people like me, and the types of people I would want
to be around... into oblivion! (What sort of "universal
intelligence" or "Force" would deny that to people like
myself? It beats centuries of having my toenails pulled
out by the roots, that's for sure!)
AND TO DON:
What sort of people are allowed the "get snuffed" option
according to Howard Storm? (I read about his NDE but
I seem to have missed that.)

B-manoid

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #4 - Dec 11th, 2007 at 8:41am

Dear Fubar
There are degrees of reward and punishment in the afterlife; as made very clear in the Bible

Jesus said in one sermon great is your reward in heaven and in another he said some would be punished with a few stripes and another with many according to their sins .

John 3;16 God so loved the "world" that he gave his only begotten son so whosever believes on him shall not perish but have eternal life Note! GOD SO LOVES THE “HOLE WORLD” (That is all of humanity) “NOT JUST A SELECT EXCLUSIVE FEW”

As you don’t question your own existence, why do you question Gods obvious existence? Your anger and unbelief can manifest in depression and illness so just go back to quite acceptance of things beyond human understanding. I say this because I have been where you are, angry and disillusioned but God loves you more than life

God bless you and Keep you until you meet him in glory "AS I KNOW YOU WILL".

Please Read The Following;

Punishment and reward heaven and hell

I have also had to through the road of fundamental dogma and really think about the horrors of an everlasting hell for a finite sin in this brief existence on earth. “An INFINITE PUNISHMENT FOR A FINITE SIN” (not fair to me)

I know with absolute certainty, that I Alan, who is not perfect love, would never ever confine even a Hitler into eternal torment in hell. Then how much infinitely less likely would our beloved Holy Father God of eternal mercy and LOVE punish a mere mortal in this ultimately awful way? If I a mere mortal can differentiate between a minor transgression such as a hungry father stealing a loaf of bread for his starving family and the unspeakable evil of some members of humanity, how much infinitely more is our father God. ABLE TO DO THE SAME FOR US.

I truly love God and his son Jesus but know that he “equally loves those that do not know him”. “God loves the whole world and has equal mercy for all, and I trust their eternal healing of their souls to him”. I hope I have expressed myself properly.

Yes, Hitler and his kind are/was unspeakable wicked and cruel, but why must God lower himself down to the level of this psychopath? However, God is sovereign and will do just what he wants in the end and I cannot dictate what he will do. I can express, however, what I believe to be true even if I am wrong. Note! nearly every Christian I have met over these long years has had a slightly or markedly different understanding of biblical interpretation and I have finally reached the point where I have made up my own mind about the matter of an eternal hell. If God simply throws every non-born again person on earth into everlasting torment then his earthly creation is one colossal failure.

Cool

John 3;16 God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son so whosever believes on him shall not perish but have eternal life Note! GOD SO LOVES THE “”WHOLE WORLD” (That is all of humanity) NOT JUST A SELECT EXCLUSIVE FEW

Below is a comment I received from an ex. pastor
Yes, Alan that is right, and you know, I was so liberated and truly free once the lord woke me up to the brainwashing lies of the ministry. I was in the ministry for 17 yrs. and followed what I was brainwashed to follow .how do they even get away with this is beyond me. what ever a man sewes,so shall he reaps, and god will not be mocked, is a dead giveaway that god does not have a eternal torture chamber to abort his children in, that were taught wrong, dressed wrong, talked wrong, or got brainwashed by the wrong preacher. In addition, the fact, if you reap what you sew, then why would he punish you again?  Does a non-Christian who lives a fairly modest and good life not sew what he reaps is he not punished by god the righteous judge in a in a fair way in, accordance with the severity of his sins. Are his sins infinite like eternal damnation? That would be double jeopardy. {2 punishments for one crime}.I have been screaming like a bungee for folks to wake up!

God Bless You,

Love,

Alan

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

DocM

Reply #5 - Dec 11th, 2007 at 10:23am

B-man,

I wouldn't tell you how things are because the bible says so; I would ask you to use your common sense and look around you.  Is anyone imposing their will on you now to make you act a certain way?  Are you free to indulge in kindness and achievement or evil/perversion at your discretion now?  Why should an afterlife be any different?  It is not. Free will remains.  When you here of hells, hard as it is to believe, those who create their own hells or go there go willingly - not because of an imposed sentence.

Why the %@#&@ would anyone do that? (you may ask).  The answer is simple (and straight out of Swedenborg - thanks to Don for telling us of his writings).  After we die, the outer wrapping of our consciousness including our masks that we wear in society, fades away.  This leaves our innermost consciousness - our truest nature, without the mask we had to create to function in society.  If our nature, in general has been loving or respectful, that is where we gravitate toward (Focus 27, hollow heaven perhaps to use the monroe/moen system).  If our inner nature gets off on harm, inflicting pain, etc. - guess what?  We gravitate toward those realms with other like minded souls.  Where is the harsh taskmaster with a whip, consigning us there?  It is not a vengeful God, but ourselves.  I know this is a tough concept.

Inherent in your posts is the idea that there is a christian penal code/colony/jail all set up for us.  I find no evidence to support it.  A truer way to put things would be that our consciousness persists after death, but we move toward our innermost nature.  If we move toward love of others and God, we find ourselves with a wide range of freedoms in what some have called heaven or paradise.  If we move toward hate or perversions, we willingly go to where there are others doing the same thing (like attracting like). 

Doc

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Dec 11th, 2007 at 11:27am

Interestingly enough even a quite 'New Agey' perspective can at least in theory allow for the possibility of annhiliation after death. As in if one identifies totally with ego, and builds little or nothing in life from love, then there's nothing to continue when/if this falls away or is destroyed.

It's not at all clear (to me at least) what exactly it is that continues even in a less extreme  case. I can't even set out a Buddhist view on this because I simply don't exactly know what's taught. It's fairly clear though that it's far from the simple personal 'self' comprised of body, mind and some sort of immortal soul that we're used to thinking of. More like we amount to some sort of energy wave in the absolute that in propagating creates this and the afterlife realities which without it in fact have no independent existence....

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #7 - Dec 11th, 2007 at 11:41am

Vaj,

What makes you, Vaj?  Strip away ego, upbringing, etc. and you are left with a being perceiving the universe and himself/herself.  Descartes wrestled with this type of issue and came up with his famous  "Cogito ergo sum" (I think therefore I am." 

We are unique examples of the universe/God perceiving itself.  Take away gender, sexual orientation, upbringing, education - everything that you associate with ego, and there is still you as a point of perception in the universe.  You are aware.  That awareness may be full of unfulfilled potential if you have not experienced an existence full of experiences.  So, at the very least, we are, stripped of everything, an intelligent being of perception - full of potential tendencies that grow with experience.

Matthew

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Dec 11th, 2007 at 11:53am

That's one view Doc. But Buddhism would argue that Decartes was about as wrong as he could have been on that. (that discursive mind has no continuity, and that what it builds when it's as is usually the case misused is ego)

That thought is one of the least solid indicators that some sort of personal self exists. That pretty much all human suffering follows from the fact that we mistakenly equate the existence of it and a physical body with some sort of 'self'.

The point of perception you mention may be closer to this reality, although even that seen as a 'me' may be illusory in as much as a wave crossing the ocean for example crimps the sea to look like a physical thing but is in fact only a transmission of energy.....

Here's a rather longer account of the same thinking: http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/buddhism/nshell09.htm

IP Logged

LaughingRain
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Dec 11th, 2007 at 12:42pm

just throwing in an idea. JC took his body with him is what the rumor is, as they didn't find his body. (this time frame dimension only)
so, he converted his physical cells into light particles is what I'm thinking; in other words he took with him "all of his being."
so we call ourselves energy composities, as matter is energy. this shouldn't be too hard to figure out from this pov. so we say we are the light. Light. capitalize word. Divine.

the person who does not develop his potential here would return to his oversoul, ego, my point of view upon transition, but his personality, (of his own making) would be heavy with negative dark substance thoughts. It would not be able to "rise" with the rest of his bodies of which I'm thinking we have more bodies than one, we have seven. but I'm from the old esoteric school. I realize this. so throw this away, if not in your thought system.

the personality is not the ego though. the permanent ego. it is manufactured here as the fruits of your labor here. in other words, you are correct, we move into PUL areas, or loosh making as Monroe so enchantingly called it back when he was with us in the flesh.
loosh is like crops. or fruits the soul makes. it is to be in service to one another, or call it development of universal mind, assistability, what Kyo calls it.
assistability is the basis of the "we are one" concept. it is what happens when an emergency occurs and you save someone's life without thinking about your own.
its like an instinct most of us have and didn't know we had.

but the person who turns his head during an emergency, is the one who turns away from love and from giving love, but he will take love, just hasn't developed by conscious effort how to give love. I surmise he will not be annhiliated as the ego would be given another opportunity, but the negative elements would be recycled, the selfish, grasping part of such a person is what cannot survive except in the shadow regions of the lower astral valleys for a time. but the personality is not the intrinsic being of our essence, so it's like the transmutation of thought forms. we all do belief system crashes, the personality would be crashing is all. the intrinsic part of you keeps on evolving. the ego itself is not bad, in this perspective and can transform, but must develop a will to do that, all on it's own before guidance is sent inward to that person.

in other words, from the old school, prayer, is to 'ask and receive."

love, alysia

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #10 - Dec 11th, 2007 at 1:35pm

Vajra,

I've read impressive encounters with the newly deceased, many of whom were surprised to find that upon "waking up" on the other side, they were essentially the same as prior to thier deaths.  Swedenborg writes that this initial feeling of being the same, gradually wears down, as with the life review, the outer aspects of a personality fade away leaving our innermost desires and tendencies.  Yet what has impressed me, has been the persistence of our individual perception, while being part of a whole.  The wave crest on the ocean may appear unique, but really not be, but since mediums adepts and loved ones have communicated with deceased people, I can only conclude that we do not simply merge into unthinking nothingness.

The toughest part about this discussion is that being incarnate, as you and I are currently, there is doubt.  Does anything persist?  Are the agnostics and atheists correct (life's a be#$ch and then you die)?

There has been enough posted on these forums, enough personal anecdotes and experiences to, if not substantiate the persistence of consciousness after death then to raise serious doubt about the cessation of consciousness after death.

M

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Dec 11th, 2007 at 2:23pm

In truth I simply don't know what the truth is Doc, and so like the rest of us get on with life trying not to get hung up on anything but ultimately trusting in some sort of basic goodness, Grace, annihilation, or whatever our pet theory is.

I don't disagree that there's lots of afterlife experience that points to our (at least initially) maintaining our individuality. Even in a form only a very little different to the physical, at least at first.

Buddhism (mostly, there are minority views within it that differ) though seems to provide for two levels of uncertainty after this.

The first is that of how much gets stripped off as we progress through the Bardos (the various stages of the afterlife process) on the way to rebirth or wherever - it looks like (unless you aer enlightened - see below) that at best it's a set of attributes that makes it through. (maybe the positive bits that Alysia mentioned)

But that a highly egocentric persona will be ripped apart on the way through (the ego gets stripped off and in a variety of cosmic recycling/conservation of mind goes to fuel karma), and after all that is very likely to end up in a pretty unpleasant reality.

The second is that even this core 'self' is illusory, that it must eventually merge back into the absolute, into  primordial mind and hence lose its selfhood or differentiation. This (implying loss of self as it does) seems terrible to the ego, but it isn't necessarily so.

A realised person CAN if they so desire delay this by delaying their return to the absolute (dharmakaya) and instead using mind to keep themselves together as an entity to be reborn again to help other beings in this reality, but this again is a temporary state. (this in Buddhist terms is a Bodhissattva) They may also be able to retain some sort of identity as a tendency or emanation in the dharmakaya, but I'm not sure about this.

This idea of an eventual merging with primordial mind (or with God, dare I say it) isn't that different to what's written in some at least nominally Christian traditions which set out a vision of succeeding levels of existence (heavens), each entailing higher levels of consciousness, a merging and eventually arriving at the One. The likes of Robert Monroe uses different language but basically sets this view out too...

IP Logged

AhSoLaoTsuAhhOmmra
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Dec 11th, 2007 at 2:29pm

Quote:
That's one view Doc. But Buddhism would argue that Decartes was about as wrong as he could have been on that. (that discursive mind has no continuity, and that what it builds when it's as is usually the case misused is ego)

That thought is one of the least solid indicators that some sort of personal self exists. That pretty much all human suffering follows from the fact that we mistakenly equate the existence of it and a physical body with some sort of 'self'.

The point of perception you mention may be closer to this reality, although even that seen as a 'me' may be illusory in as much as a wave crossing the ocean for example crimps the sea to look like a physical thing but is in fact only a transmission of energy.....

Here's a rather longer account of the same thinking: http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/buddhism/nshell09.htm

Hi Vajra, i deeply respect Buddhism as a whole, the basic tenets of same.   I would like to tell you a bit about the Edgar Cayce readings.   Growing up, from a young age, i was very, very curious about spiritual and nonphysical beliefs and belief systems.   I read a lot about many different beliefs and sensed so much truth in all of them, particularly in the parts different belief systems basically agreed upon. 

So, when i came upon the Cayce readings, well i was pretty excited because in them you can find bits and pieces of Buddhism, Christianity, some Hinduism, some Jewish, and other organized belief systems all rolled into one cohesive belief system.    Yet, its still just that, a belief system and by its inherent nature is limited and limiting.   

But i'm try to not be an extremist, and while like Bruce Moen or Bob Monroe, i believe that self experience is very important, there is ever an imortant balance between the inner and outer, until this completely dissolves as well.   

So, while i try to rely on intuition and my own experiences, i also still look to "outer" belief systems and examples such as Cayce or Yeshua for example. 

Anyways, keeping in mind that one can find bits and pieces of Buddhist, and other thought within these readings, the source of Cayce's readings, strongly and repeatedly emphasized that the sense of individual self and self awareness was given to us by the Creator, and will eternally exist except in some very rare cases like Bruce Moen or Cayce's source occasionally addressed.       

If its eternal, and given to us by Source itself, does that make it a "illusion" of perception alone?    To me, the best definition of illusion, is that which is temporal in nature.   The physical is temporal in nature, and someday will not exist.   So in that sense, i would call physical an illusion.    But like Matthew said, our individual self awareness and consciousness existed before physical and will exist after physical.   

Dunno, let me put it astrologically for a moment, there is an axis or polarity in the Zodiac which really highlights this individuality/self aware and Oneness/collective issue.   

The signs Leo and Virgo emphasize individuality and uniqueness, and their opposite signs Aquarius and Pisces represent and emphasize the collective or Oneness i.e. the sameness of all.   It has been said, that opposite signs are really part of a larger Whole, so Virgo and Pisces are really VirgPisceo in nature, when looked at from a non dualistic perspective.

Maybe these are both equally true at the same time?   Maybe someone born under say Virgo, part of their lessons or focus here, is to not concentrate so much on Oneness in such a collective, sameness kind of way that its opposite sign Pisces tends to concentrate on?   Virgo in many ways, very strongly represents what some have called the "left brain aspect of self", and Pisces represents very strongly and purely the "right brain aspect of self".   

It's the merging of these and the reconciling of paradox which to me, brings the full picture and beingness into view.    Christ never told others, "you and all your sense of unqiue, individual self hood, will eventually dissolve into pure Oneness".    He said, you are part and parcel of the Whole, and may become the Whole and yet still be a part within same. 

Or as Cayce's source oft said, "The gift of God to man is an individual soul that may be one with Him, and that may know itself to one with Him and yet individual in itself, with the attributes of the whole, yet not the whole."

I would say, its a beautiful gift even in its paradoxical nature.   It's the merging of Yin and Yang, its the perfect and pure Hemi-Sync state of consciousness.   Real individuality is not of the ego, which is strongly tied into and which created the physical to begin with.    Even in my deepest and most ecstatic Oneness moments during meditation far from the physical vibratory state, i still had a sense of self, of individuality and unqiueness.   And one of my main centerings in my meditations, is thanking Source for this beautiful gift.

IP Logged

pratekya

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #13 - Dec 11th, 2007 at 4:31pm

Bman -
  Have you ever read Howard Storm's My Descent into Death?  It gives a clear account of an amazing near death experience where someone is clearly loved by Jesus but freely chooses to be put back into hell because he is more comfortable there.  Hell, if its eternal, is eternal because the inhabitants freely choose to hang out there rather than with God.  And God loves and respects us enough to allow us to choose where we will end up.  God is not actively punishing people, people are actively choosing an existence of punishment and selfishness over one of love and selfless joy.

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Dec 11th, 2007 at 7:35pm

What you say Justin is pretty much where my head in no very well worked out way is too. I think that absolutely distinct apparent 'selfhood' is a feature of this reality. It's real viewed from the perspective of conventional egotistical consciousness, but as you say not permanent. Higher levels of consciousness though permit a view of a very different scenario - self seems to fall away and be replaced by a more dispersed awareness:

No longer personal I am the Light
Dispersed
Thought a whisper in the distance
Nothingness
All

Progressively higher levels of consciousness bring us closer to unity, but simultaneously we don't lose the ability to function as apparent individuals.

I could surmise that a realised person that can enter the absolute or the Dharmakaya can be both simultaneously a part of it, and at the same time capable (as in the case of the many Buddhas) of manifesting as emanations of whatever aspect of it they are/were. Although as realised they can probably manifest a very wide range of both loving and wrathful personalities, at all sorts of levels of form from the lowest to the highest - perhaps the very many beings they experienced being over many many lifetimes.....

Smiley Wink If you know what I think I mean....

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.