Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
poem about growing old (Read 2057 times)
LaughingRain
Ex Member

poem about growing old
Dec 8th, 2007 at 4:40pm

When an old man died in the geriatric ward of a small  hospital near Tampa, Florida, it was believed  that he had nothing left of any value.

Later, when  the nurses were going through his meager possessions, they found  this poem. Its quality and content so impressed the staff that copies were made and distributed to every nurse in  the hospital.

One nurse took her copy to Missouri .  The old man's sole bequest to  posterity has since appeared in  the Christmas edition of the News Magazine of the St. Louis  Association for Mental Health. A slide presentation has also  been made based on his simple, but eloquent, poem.  And this little old man, with nothing left to  give to the world, is now the author of this "anonymous" poem  winging across the Internet.

CRABBY OLD  MAN

What do you see nurses? .......What do you  see?
What are you thinking......when you're looking at  me?
A crabby old man, ....not very wise,
Uncertain of habit .......with faraway eyes?

Who  dribbles his food.......and makes no reply.
When you say in a  loud voice....."I do wish you'd try!"
Who seems not to notice  ....the things that you do.
And forever is losing ..............  a sock or shoe?

Who, resisting or not...........lets  you do as you will,
With bathing and feeding ....... the long  day to fill?
Is that w hat you're thinking? Is that what you  see?
Then open your eyes, nurse......you're not looking at  me.

I'll tell you who I am ....... as I sit here so  still,
As I do at your bidding, .....as I eat at your  will.
I'm a small child of Ten......with a father and  mother,
Brothers and sisters .......who love one  another

A young boy of Sixteen ...........with wings  on his feet
Dreaming that soon now. ..........a lover he'll  meet.
A groom soon at Twenty .........my heart gives a  leap.
Remembering, the vows........that I promised to  keep.

At Twenty-Five, now .......... I have young of  my own.
Who need me to guide ....... and a secure happy  home.
A man of Thirty ........ my young now grown  fast,
Bound to each oth er ......... with ties that should  last.

At Forty, my young sons ........have grown and  are gone,
But my woman's beside me........to see ! I don't  mourn.
At Fifty, once more, .......... babies play 'round my  knee,
Again, we know children ......... my loved one and  me.

Dark days are upon me .......... my wife is now  dead.
I look at the future ............I shudder with  dread.
For my young are all rearing ........young of their  own.
And I think of the years...... and the love that I've  known.

I'm now an old man.........and nature is  cruel.
Tis jest to make old age .......look like a  fool.
The body, it crumbles..........grace and vigor,  depart.
There is now a stone........where I once had a  heart.

But inside this old carcass ...... a young guy  still dwells,
And now and again ........my battered heart  swells.
I remember the joys.............. I remember the  pain.
And I'm loving and living.............life over  again.

I think of the years ....all too few......gone  too fast.
And accept the stark fact........that nothing can  last.
So open your eyes, people ..........open and  see..
Not a crabby old man. Look  closer....see........ME!!

Remember this poem when you  next meet an older person who you might brush aside without looking at the young soul within.....we will all, one day, be  there, too!

The best and most beautiful things of this  world can 't be seen or touched. They must be felt by the heart.

GROWING OLD IS NOT FOR  SISSIES!

IP Logged

pulsar

Europe
Re: poem about growing old
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2007 at 9:39pm

Hey Alysia,

an eyeopener for sure, thanks for sharing this reminder!

Sincere note, this "old crabby man" has left for us to think about it!
Life often, especially in the younger years, leads us to sidetracked thinking, that pushes far away everything related to the thoughts around being old, being mortal.

You made a clear statement, that should be noticed and taken for granted "Growing old is not for sissies"!.
We are sometimes forgetting that old people are not just old, but that they also had dreams, shared love, were hungry to grab a bite of life. Instead, sometimes we pretend they have already passed on, and are a shattered, odd picture of themselves. Having lost their energy.
But in spite of this, it shows that old peoples minds sometimes are more vivid then we believe they are, or even the older ones pretend to be like that, in order to have this "evaluation time", to look back.
Sometimes I also get the impression, that they pretend to be balky, because they know that the younger ones are offended by their presence, maybe it is just because they don't want to be a burden for their loved ones.
Of course, this has to change, as we easily forget that we inherit the world from our "ancestors", so if we refuse to know them, it would be just like to refuse to know the world. And without knowledge of the world, there can't be change.

The reason for "brushing aside" the older ones is just the fear bound to the fact, that everyone will be taking the same path. As if the older ones were a burden for the "younger ones".

I often pictured myself in exactly the same situation, made thoughts about how I will view my life at its very end. How will I look back at my decisions, will I laugh at my naivity, will I regret my stubbornness, will I be alone, for exactly the same reasons the man describes in his poem?
I do also fear growing old, but what is left for me? Exactly, growing up and old, so if not emphazising on age, but on the change that happens withing the years spent on mother earth, it maybe will be easier to handle aging.

There is also a big change concerning the older ones, from the historical point of view. For example in ancient days, the older ones, being priests, druids, advisors for kings, people that dedicated their life to ring in the age of science, were appreciated for their wisdom, as also growing wisdom is involved in the aging process.
Today this does not seem to matter anymore, entertainment society does also like what is "young and fresh", not rusty bones. A big mistake.

yours sincerely,

pulsar

it is determined.

IP Logged

LaughingRain
Ex Member

Re: poem about growing old
Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2007 at 1:01pm

thanks for your refreshing perspective Pulsar. u seem to come from heart intelligence and I much enjoy talking with you as usual.
yes its true, today's society is not like yesterday's society. you cannot get respect anymore just because of age, although, lordy, I have tried. it doesnt work, and some older people are clearly, without wisdom so maybe that's why, nobody will give them credit, even the ones who have many treasures to share, they may be put off by the usual reactions to age and infirmity.
I worked in resthomes as an entertainer and came across many different types of olders, all of them interesting, even the ones who seem to have lost their mind, it makes you think about society and aging and the soul and death. u see these people and you immediately wonder where are their families of the mothers who used to change the diapers of their kids and now they are thrown away into a place where care becomes a clinical thing.
I like Italy, nobody is thrown away just because they need help with getting around, what not. the older people get some respect, just because they have more family values than America. but I think u are in Germany? so don't know what your society is like there insofar as family values.
so crabby folks laying up in a bed, they should be good and crabby for a reason. a good nurse will let them be crabby and still give them affection and not even see the crabbiness.

thanks you dearlite again your presence here on this board.

IP Logged

LaffingRain

Choose this Day

Arizona
Re: this not a poem, a funny thing to share
Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 9:21pm

... Who takes away death's sting deprives life of bitterness
WWW http://www.facebook.com/LaughingRain2  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.