Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Article on Dalai Lama selection (Read 2912 times)
recoverer

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Article on Dalai Lama selection
Oct 17th, 2007 at 5:58pm

Here's an article an possible updated Dalai Lama selection process.

http://www.kundalini-support.com/forum/index.php/topic,9235.0.html

IP Logged

betson

SE USA
Re: Article on Dalai Lama selection
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2007 at 9:59pm

Greetings Recoverer,

When they say they will choose from elder monks, do you think that could be a way to protect bright shining children from being abducted or harassed by the Chinese army? Wasn't one chosen one taken away by the army, or was that fiction?

Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 18th, 2007 at 5:05am

Hi R and Bets. My guess is that if it's true that a senior monk will be chosen that it will effectively be so that he can act as a 'regent' while the real candidate is secretly identified by the usual means and got out of Tibet and the reach of political interference. So that he can be brought up in the right environment. (it's possible too that he could be reborn outside of Tibet, there have already been reported some examples of Rinpoches where this has happened)

It seems very unlikely to me that Tibetan Buddhism would set aside the long standing process of identification of reincarnations by signs - it's the central to the validity of the whole Rinpoche system on which Tibetan Buddhism is based.

This whole problem has arisen as a result of the complications surrounding the 'two Karmapa' affair. Info here on both who the Karmapa is (the reincarnating head of one of the major schools, longer established than the Dalai Lama) and on the controversy is you follow the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karmapa

The risk I guess might be that even if this is done and the Chinese can swing it that they might arrange for some senior Rinpoches they can squeeze to identify a competing new Dalai Lama in circumstances that suit them.

This is what has been said of one of the two Karmapas, although in truth it's hard to tell exactly what is going down in that both seem to have 100% genuine supporters. Perhaps the game is rather than the more obvious one of getting 'their man' in to split Tibetan Buddhism.

Or perhaps the energy that is Karmapa has decided that it's in the interest of the greater good time to further break up the monolith that was Tibetan Buddhism....
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2007 at 6:17am by N/A »  

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #3 - Oct 18th, 2007 at 12:47pm

Betson:

I believe that because of oppression that comes from the Chinese government, Tibetan Buddhists have to do things they otherwise wouldn't have to do. I remember reading about how China tried to claim that they found a reincarnation of a Lama, so they could try to control the people of Tibet through him.

I caught a part of a news story last night. If I heard correctly, the Dalai Lama recently visited George W. Bush.  The White House made of point of not giving this meeting press, because they didn't want to offend the Chinese government.

IP Logged

orlando123

France
Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2007 at 3:31pm

orlando123 wrote on Oct 19th, 2007 at 3:28pm:
[quote author=betson link=1192658327/0#1 date=1192672750]Greetings Recoverer,

When they say they will choose from elder monks, do you think that could be a way to protect bright shining children from being abducted or harassed by the Chinese army? Wasn't one chosen one taken away by the army, or was that fiction?

Bets

It was , I think, the identified reincarnation of the Panchen Lama who was taken away by the Chinsese, and substituted by one of their choosing. no doubt the Chinese will try to do the same should the dalai lama die. perhaps he should work on developing his spiritual powers to the extent this is not required! (as it has been stated here before that enlightened people do not need to physically die)

IP Logged

betson

SE USA
Reply #5 - Oct 20th, 2007 at 5:34pm

Greetings Orlando and all,

the Dalai Lama does look young for his age, so maybe he's going to be around
for a long time. I hope so!

but then, so do the jazz musicians the Marsalis brothers, and their father, the pianist!
So the secret on ageing seems to transcend any particular lifestyle.
What do you suppose the secret is? Peace of mind? a certain amount of joy?
Strange the Bible doesn't speak of it directly.

Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

Gweexldax

Alamosa Junk Yard

Arizona Mohave Desert
Reply #6 - Oct 20th, 2007 at 5:45pm

I imagine his diet helps. Probably simple, and moderate calorie. Plus, he hangs out in his head a lot, and has shaken off a couple of "stress monkeys". (Depressing control freaks).  Peace of mind is easy on the adrenals.

Have you snubbed a nasty Corporation lately?
IP Logged

orlando123

France
Reply #7 - Oct 20th, 2007 at 5:53pm

Wikipedia: "Who is the true present (11th) incarnation of the Panchen Lama is a matter of controversy: the People's Republic of China asserts it is Qoigyijabu, while the Tibetan Government in Exile maintain it is Gedhun Choekyi Nyima, who was arrested at the age of six years by the Chinese in 1995. He then became the world's youngest political prisoner."

I guess if the DL says he might appoint a successor, this would be a departure from tradition and he may not intend/expect to incarnate again? In this case Dalai Lama would just be the title of the leader instead of being believed to be the same entity reincarnating again. maybe he sees this as the only way to try to stop the kind of thing that happenned to the Panchen Lama from happenning again. Even though the Chinese say they are the ones who can name new senior lamas, I don't see what authority they have over what the Tibetan government in exile does.

Anout the ageing thing - I would like to know if you find out! I expect a certain amount of serenity, and healthy living, helps.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.