Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
THE TURIN SHROUD (Read 11057 times)
deanna

Afterlife Knowledge Member

THE TURIN SHROUD
Oct 5th, 2007 at 5:10pm

Hi i was watching a documentary about the turin shroud and i think it is genuine i believe it was the shroud that was placed around jesus after he was crucified ,their were a lot of proven facts about it which outweighied the disproven facts ,but it was commented that jesus was still alive when he he was taken down from the cross because jesus was only on the cross for 3 hours and it wasnt long enough time for him to die on the cross ,it was commented that it usually took up to about 5 days before someone died on the cross ,i dont believe this i believe that jesus died on that cross what does anyone else think to this love deanna

deanna

IP Logged

blink
Ex Member

Re: THE TURIN SHROUD
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2007 at 5:00pm

What I have read about the shroud is fascinating, Deanna, and convinces me that there is something very very special about it, if not spectacular.

Whether it was the shroud of Jesus I don't know.

love, blink Smiley

IP Logged

deanna

Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 3:16pm

Hi blink i agree their is something very special about the turin shroud i really believe it was the same shroud that was used to cover jesus after his death god bless love deanna

deanna

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #3 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 8:13pm

Regarding the time it took Jesus to die, most people who were crucified didn't have stakes driven through their hands and feet. Since Jesus did, it is very possible he bled to death within a few hours.

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2007 at 8:08am

Hi Deanna, hope it's OK to express an alternative but I think complementary view - one which contains a slight caution.

My personal take on stuff like the shroud is that while it's clearly a very wonderful artefact it's almost impossible to reach a point where genuineness is proven beyond doubt. The same sort of consideration surfaces around spiritual teachings, the bible and the like. We could spend our lives seeking certainty and never get anywhere.

The Buddha for example said probably 10% of what's taught in his name today.

But in the context of our personal situation and journey it maybe doesn't matter. Because we each live in a different reality. Because the nature of the path we are on is such that we each have to draw what 'truths' we intuitively feel make sense from our total experience in this reality (and that includes seeing stuff like the shroud and being exposed to teachings) and then go on and try to live them.

Point being that there's no absolutes in any of this game. Meaning that while we all draw strength and insight from  that which we feel to be genuine we can never know for sure. Meaning that it's maybe important that the positions we adopt always contain an element of fluidity or provisionality about  them.

Maybe maintaining that fluidity is one dimension of awakening,

We somehow never find a place where we can drive a permanent stake in the sand - we're all travellers, all on a journey and always evolving. Even the places we've ourselves been when subjected to subsequent higher understanding can look very different in retrospect...

IP Logged

AhSoLaoTsuAhhOmmra
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2007 at 1:24am

Quote:
Hi Deanna, hope it's OK to express an alternative but I think complementary view - one which contains a slight caution.

My personal take on stuff like the shroud is that while it's clearly a very wonderful artefact it's almost impossible to reach a point where genuineness is proven beyond doubt. The same sort of consideration surfaces around spiritual teachings, the bible and the like. We could spend our lives seeking certainty and never get anywhere.

The Buddha for example said probably 10% of what's taught in his name today.

But in the context of our personal situation and journey it maybe doesn't matter. Because we each live in a different reality. Because the nature of the path we are on is such that we each have to draw what 'truths' we intuitively feel make sense from our total experience in this reality (and that includes seeing stuff like the shroud and being exposed to teachings) and then go on and try to live them.

Point being that there's no absolutes in any of this game. Meaning that while we all draw strength and insight from  that which we feel to be genuine we can never know for sure. Meaning that it's maybe important that the positions we adopt always contain an element of fluidity or provisionality about  them.

Maybe maintaining that fluidity is one dimension of awakening,

We somehow never find a place where we can drive a permanent stake in the sand - we're all travellers, all on a journey and always evolving. Even the places we've ourselves been when subjected to subsequent higher understanding can look very different in retrospect...

I believe i understand what you mean, and are trying to say, and i do agree with a lot of it.   I'm curious as to would you say that you have studied the SOT in depth?

As far as what Buddha, or Yeshua actually said, or taught, i agree we don't have a complete picture by any means...  But, we are talking about an artifact which has had countless hours of scientific research, multi-faceted analyzing, and a lot of intelligent, scientific debate done on or related to same.    Yes, humans, scientists, and science is ultimately subjective, but there is a reason why people like Bruce, Bob, or others placed an emphasis on "verifications" in one's spiritual journey.   There is a necessary balance with the left brain which needs to happen.   

Perhaps you swing too much towards the right brain, feminine polarity at times (yes, i know you are physically a guy)?   I'm not saying there is anything at all 'wrong" with this, in your case, its probably a necessary, dharmic path meant to balance your overall Soul energies.   

My point is, that we find ourselves in the physical dimension, and this requires a certain amount of practicality, and using and honing to some extent, the logical, rational, comparative left brain aspect of self.   Through theory, thinking, analyzing, etc., we may never truly 'know' something, BUT it is a piece of the pie as well feelings, intuition, or directly experiencing something.   Maybe the point is more in the balance of these, and not getting too lopsided towards one or the other?

The Shroud from a left brain aspect of self (my self), i would say has some very powerful, repeating, holistic and multifaceted correlations way beyond chance, which points to it not being a hoax.   But, it probably can't ever be proven to be the burial shroud of Yeshua, even if eventually the scientific community comes to the near definite conclusion that its not made by human hands.  Even then, though, there are many clear and repeating inferences or suggestions pointing in certain directions.   This is where intuition, feeling, and all that right brain stuff comes into play.

Either way, i would suggest nobody taking my word for anything, and if one is sufficiently interested in the left brain aspect of this subject, to do a lot of study and research into both 'camps' which seem to be rather polarized in some respects.  Actually there are two major camps, and in one camp there is a sub division.   There are many who think it a hoax or made by human hands, in an artificial, manipulated way...and there are many who think its not a hoax, and resulted from some kind of natural or as yet not completely understood phenomenon.   
In the latter camp, many believe it is a natural chemical reaction which took place between certain bodily fluids and the cloth materials, and in the other they don't know, and don't believe it can be fully explained yet, though some here and there have theorized about various subtle energy reactions.   Scientifically, none from any side or camp will say that its the burial cloth of Yeshua, though it seems that there are some scientists who will say that they believe, in a 'faith' way that is the burial shroud which is a snap shot in space/time of the actual Resurrection as talked about in the N.T. (some with, and some without religious background innately supportive of and Yeshua/Christ centered).

Having studied it from various angles, there are just too many coincidences for me to write it off as a hoax, or to be willy nilly about stating my belief that it's actual burial shroud of Yeshua, and the image of same having been produced, and the only 'evidence' in our history of any individual so transcending and mastering the physical forces.   Basically, to me, Yeshua through his ultimate spiritual development and being such a pure example of love within the Earth, took the frozen light energy of the body, and released the bonds by 'heating' (speeding up the vibratory rates to the nth degree) the body physical energies into pure light, thus redeeming his original spiritual error and partaking of the manifestation of the physical, illusionary, temporal reality.  "Snap back to reality, oops there goes gravity...lose yourself..." 

IP Logged

AhSoLaoTsuAhhOmmra
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 11th, 2007 at 1:43am

recoverer wrote on Oct 9th, 2007 at 8:13pm:
Regarding the time it took Jesus to die, most people who were crucified didn't have stakes driven through their hands and feet. Since Jesus did, it is very possible he bled to death within a few hours.

You all are forgetting that supposedly, according to both the N.T. accounts, and to the shroud indications, that Yeshua, and the man on the shroud, also had a spear put into his side from which 'water' seemingly spilled out in great quantities.    A man's body severely beaten and traumatized over time will store up great amounts of a clearish body fluid, which has the purpose of acting as a protective barrier, and possibly speeds up the healing process of such wounds.  Also, a person's lungs in such a sustained position as in crucifixion will tend to fill up with fluids.   Either way, no doubt if he wasn't dead before this, he would definitely die after this.

The spear wound in the image of the man of the shroud, can even be matched up to a relatively clear degree of accuracy to a roman spear (blade) type used during Yeshua's times.   

The man on the shroud was not "staked through the hands and feet" but rather through the wrists and just above the ankles--this being anatomically probably the correct way of successfully crucifying someone in a real and practical manner--though there is some debate on whether the hands and feet could hold up the weight of a man...

According to many sources, death in crucifixion comes more through a type of strangulation or drowning from the lungs, and them eventually filling up with fluids.  But, its been quite awhile since i've read about this stuff, so i'm not sure about how accurate the above is.

Deanna, while i'm somewhat interested in this subject, with all due respect, isn't this something that belongs a lot more in the "off topic" section?

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 11th, 2007 at 3:50am

Smiley Intrigued that I should come across as quite feminine in my means of sense making Ah So. Pretty much a compliment that, in that recent years have seen the intuitive and sensing side of me come much more to the fore. I'll never make it into the powder room though, there's still a lot of the analytical me left too!!! (not to mention 6ft 1in, 240 lbs and a stubbly chin)

You've more or less exactly described my perspective on the shroud. My knowledge of it is limited to what I've read and seen in documentary programmes, but that's been enough to suggest that for sure it checks out scientifically. Inasmuch as science can 'prove' anything.

My point was more to the effect that regardless of this it's origin can't ever be a matter of hard fact. And that while this sort of knowledge is useful in that it can help to intellectually reassure us that it's not wise to cling to it, to build a whole edifice of belief around it.

If only because the framework by which we make sense of our existence must be fluid and continuously developing if we are to progress on the path. If it's not we're stuck.

Wink I guess i was so to speak casting a vote for the middle way, and the openness, flexibility of mind  and lightness of touch it implies.....

IP Logged

betson

SE USA
Reply #8 - Oct 11th, 2007 at 9:38am

Greetings,

Smiley What do you stubblies and ladies  think of the claim that yes, it was a death shroud of a crucified man, and yes the image may have come from a flash of energy mixed with these bodily fluids, but that the person was a crucified founder of an order of monks in the 1100's?
(I think that's the date, the order was the Benedictine's, and Jacques DeMolay was the leaader crucified as part of tthe squashing of the Knights Templar.)

The diversity of opinions on this has ranged far beyond this small discussion, so I'm asking only for your point of view, because you have my respect;   Smiley  I'm not asking you to proove anything.

Love, Betson

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Oct 11th, 2007 at 10:39am

Think that's the point about scientific investigation Bets. The bits of data may be reasonably firm provided the science is sound, but the interpretation of it can only be conjecture. And i've had far too much bad experience with the in my case the medical profession to have too much faith in any story we build from tiny bits of data.

For example  - we find maybe a couple of dozen examples of prehumans around the world and from that construct a storyline of the evolution of humanity. There's nothing wrong with (lightly) doing that, and it might be even half true when viewed through one lens (the physical) but it all goes a bit pear shaped when it becomes dogma and is quoted as fact. With the experts at war over who is right. And when this single way of looking at it is deemed the only one that's respectable......

IP Logged

AhSoLaoTsuAhhOmmra
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Oct 11th, 2007 at 11:30am

Quote:
Smiley Intrigued that I should come across as quite feminine in my means of sense making Ah So. Pretty much a compliment that, in that recent years have seen the intuitive and sensing side of me come much more to the fore. I'll never make it into the powder room though, there's still a lot of the analytical me left too!!! (not to mention 6ft 1in, 240 lbs and a stubbly chin)

Grin  Don't knock it till you try it?  J/K, thank you for not taking it in a negative way, i didn't mean it negatively, though i suppose if i were to be completely honest with self and others, i was being somewhat judgmental towards you in a sense (except that there was very little active emotion involved in the perception)...   I too have a rather 'masculine' body in many respects--more hairy than i would at times like..

As far as what i was saying about Yin polarization at times, WE ALL do this to varying degrees, my sense is that you are rather balanced as compared to the average.   I oft swing too much to the over balance of the yin or yang, at times, but generally speaking i'm consistently balanced enough to know and perceive what balance and imbalance looks and feels like.  I would say that nobody here (at least that i know of) is completely and perfectly balanced, otherwise they would completely and consciously transcend physicality and be pure light with seeming attributes of 'form'. 
Having read, and enjoyed many of your well written posts here, i have noticed a general tendency to over place emphasis on the Feminine Oneness, void, and fluidity aspect of Creation at least on the mental level.   This, in many respects is a very Eastern type approach, and it seems in general that the East has for a long time been imbalanced towards Yin on the mental and emotional levels of being.   I would suggest that perhaps we always retain some sense of individual, unique self no matter how spiritually developed we become...and this is where the West, and its imbalance comes in...the west has long placed way too much emphasis on the Yang, and individual, creating aspect of Creation. 

Quote:
My point was more to the effect that regardless of this it's origin can't ever be a matter of hard fact. And that while this sort of knowledge is useful in that it can help to intellectually reassure us that it's not wise to cling to it, to build a whole edifice of belief around it.

I completely agree with the above.  I think it is an interesting study, and the science i've read behind it has been quite interesting to me, but yeah, where does it really leave us?  In the end, its just a cloth which bears the imprint of a man, and 'believing' in it will get no one no where fast....  However, being what it is and with all the suggestive circumstantial evidence around it, it can spark within some a greater overall belief in things of the Spirit, or a renewal or re-dedication to same.   As far as i understand it, apparently in some respects it has been life changing regarding belief systems, to a few scientists who have put a lot of study into.   Isn't that worthwhile?   You and i might not need such material 'proofs', but this is a world populated by many doubting Thomas's .   Sometimes things outside of us, can act as a catalyst and if there is any material 'object' in this world, which could have a catalytic affect, its the SOT.   Isn't the name of the game to get as many people aware of the nonphysical as possible, by whatever means?

Quote:
If only because the framework by which we make sense of our existence must be fluid and continuously developing if we are to progress on the path. If it's not we're stuck.

Wink I guess i was so to speak casting a vote for the middle way, and the openness, flexibility of mind  and lightness of touch it implies..... 

That's a great attitude and approach, but there are times to become Fire or Earth.   The way you mentioned, is a very Water and Air type way, and this is a necessary balance.   I always look to the example of those whom i believe had a perfect balance within self, such as the Teacher of Teachers, Yeshua.   There were times, where he became more Fire or Earth in regards to others or towards life in general, but oft he was the gentle, flowing, and fluid type which comes from a balance and mix of Air and Water. 

No surprise again, that the East in general, tends more towards the Water and Air balance, and that is what you seem more so to align to.

Your above quote reminds me a bit of that saying about moderation, and how we must be moderate even in moderation.    Same with flexibility, we should strive not to become inflexible in a single minded pursuit of flexibility.      Appearances in this world can be deceiving, and sometimes when we think we are being flexible and flowing, sometimes it's not true in the inner levels, though it might appear that way on the surface.   

On a personal level, sometimes i emphasize the Fire and Earth balance/mix way, because karmically, i've actually over developed the Air and Water energies, and i'm trying to bring in the necessary balance of which Earth and Fire will give to me, if i can integrate and balance them all together as one within self.  In my chart, my karmic indications are primarily that of Water and Air.   Pisces South Node in 7th, Moon ruling 12th in Libra conjunct ruler of the 6th which makes only two major aspects besides, to Uranus and Neptune, and Uranus in Scorpio in the 4th House/Scorpio-Pisces decant Nadir.    That's a whole lotta Water and Air, and probably why i was born under Capricornus, with Leo Rising, and a lot of Earth (stellium of Virgo) besides.

Again, thank you for taking my earlier comments in a good natured way, that speaks a lot of good about you and the path you are on.  And i do really enjoy your well thought out and written posts.

IP Logged

AhSoLaoTsuAhhOmmra
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Oct 11th, 2007 at 12:09pm

Hi Bets, i really don't know enough about that theory to comment on it.   It surely is possible, but do i personally strongly believe or perceive it that way right now, no.    I may look more into that theory and see what i get. 

Btw, regarding the Shroud, i've always been struck by this interesting parallel or 'coincidence'.   In the Cayce Readings, Yeshua's physical looks were described briefly a couple of times.   One particular reading for some reason, mentioned that he would have weighed at least 170 lbs, which for a man who was said to have fasted at times, and to be very physically active, that's a decent weight for the supposed average heights then.   Either he was a bit taller than average, and/or also rather 'well set up' as the saying goes.   This reading was given back in the 30's i believe. 

During intensive research and study into the anatomy and physical characteristics, it was determined (well after that Cayce reading was given) by those very knowledgeable and practiced in those fields, that from indications on the shroud, and in their best guess, that the man would have weighed 170 lbs give or take a few pounds.    The man on the shroud, is also somewhat tall for either the earlier Jewish times and climes, and also from the Medieval times and climes, and would be described as powerfully built and muscular.   

If Cayce is right about his descriptions, and also if the Shroud is the burial of Yeshua, than this would certainly blast the oft portrayed namby pamby physical weakness and over femininity of this man.  Cayce even made a point in saying that he wasn't overly feminine looking whatsoever, but actually rather masculine in some ways though his hair tended to curl.

Strangely enough, Cayce also indicated that Yeshua's looks also differed in other major ways from the so called 'typical' or average Hebraic and Arabic type for then (keep in mind, there was a lot of mixing and immigration around his times, and look at ancient descriptions and depictions of the ancient Greeks, and their average looks today, there is certainly a definite variation).   

Saying that the Master's hair was 'most red', and in another reading, saying that his hair was like that of David's, a "clear, clean, ruddy hair almost like that of David, a golden brown, yellow-red.."   and also describes his eyes as heavy, piercing and a grayish blue.   I well know that this sounds a bit like the Euro centric version of "Yeshua", and actually goes against my earlier beliefs and perceptions about his looks.   

I'm practical minded, and have had a strong interest in genetics since a young age, and i always figured he probably looked rather typically Hebraic in most ways (darker hair, eyes, and innately darker skin, tend towards shortness or average height, etc), and when i heard these Cayce readings it resonated to my inner self, BUT at the same time conflicted with the conscious beliefs and thoughts i had had on this subject, and since at that time i somewhat 'prided' myself on lack of Euro centric prejudice and greater impartiality as compared to most Americans.   Anyways, truth can be stranger than fiction at times.

Does any of this matter, nah, i just find it somewhat interesting sometimes.

IP Logged

AhSoLaoTsuAhhOmmra
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Oct 11th, 2007 at 12:26pm

Quote:
the only 'evidence' in our history of any individual so transcending and mastering the physical forces.  Basically, to me, Yeshua through his ultimate spiritual development and being such a pure example of love within the Earth, took the frozen light energy of the body, and released the bonds by 'heating' (speeding up the vibratory rates to the nth degree) the body physical energies into pure light, thus redeeming his original spiritual error and partaking of the manifestation of the physical, illusionary, temporal reality.  "Snap back to reality, oops there goes gravity...lose yourself..." 

Correcting myself here, i shouldn't have said, the 'only "evidence"' since supposedly there was a Buddhist Monk, who in realizing the Light 'body', melted a hand print into bare rock.   I believe there are people who from a linear time/space perspective, realized their light body natures after Yeshua did (during this great cycle), and in times far, far, far past.   Cayce's source indicates that there were cycles in the very far past where many lived and existed as Gods, Monroe's info also indicates this about the very far past, and the somewhat near future.   But Cayce also indicates that recently (and by recent, we mean in the last 500, 000 years or so), that Yeshua was the first to be born of a woman, who completely transcended and transformed their physical energies, but also indicating that others since him have also done so...

We all eventually will too, i hope.

IP Logged

AhSoLaoTsuAhhOmmra
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Oct 11th, 2007 at 1:51pm

Relating to the shroud, the Cayce readings, and other interesting parallels...   Astrology is also potentially a factor in synthesizing a more total view on these subjects. 

Cayce's source once indicated that Miriam, Yeshua's mother, was his "Twin Soul" and also that she was born under the astrological sign of Aquarius.      

Astrologically, this is potentially a general clue to Yeshua and his astrology as well as being suggestive of the validity of the shroud-Yeshua theory, and of Cayce's descriptions of his looks.   In my studies of astrology, particularly in comparing charts between those in some kind of active, close, relationship, certain patterns show up often.   One of the more common inter aspect between two particularly close personalities (read, Twin souls for one), is one person's Sun being the opposite sign of the other person's Rising sign.  This is perhaps the single most powerful inter aspect that shows up in a chart comparison.   

What fills in the piece of the puzzle, is that from my studies into astrology, i've also realized (and its also an astrological tradition), that in many ways, certain astrological indications can correlate to physical looks and patterns.   Particularly the Rising sign, and indications connected to same (it's rulers' aspects, a planet closely aspecting the ASC, etc), indicate the overall, predominant 'type' and holistic pattern of looks. 

Connecting the dots, what is interesting to me, is that if Cayce is right about Yeshua's looks and Miriam his mother being an Aquarius Sun and his Twin Soul, the shroud is the burial cloth of Yeshua, and certain basic and repeating astrological patterns...   We can say with some credibility, that Yeshua was born with Leo Rising because it fits more than one of these criteria. 

The combination of looks of the man on the Shroud, and Cayce's descriptions of Yeshua fit the Archetypal Leo Rising in many repeating ways, and it just so "coincidentally" happens that this is the opposite Rising sign of his Mother's Sun sign with whom he was very close too.   

Who cares, and what does it matter you say, dunno, why do some like eating chocolate ice cream or posting consistently often on i-net forums, i just have rather different interests and attractions than many others.

IP Logged

orlando123

France
Reply #14 - Oct 11th, 2007 at 4:50pm

Quote:
  I believe there are people who from a linear time/space perspective, realized their light body natures after Yeshua did (during this great cycle),

Is a "light body" the same as a "rainbow body" -- by which supposedly highly-level Buddhist practitioners' bodies sometimes shrink and disappear after death. I have wondered before it that was a possible explanation of the story of Jesus'empty tomb

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.