Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Short lifetimes (Read 6216 times)
george stone

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Short lifetimes
Sep 29th, 2007 at 3:08pm

Life is short,everybody know that.But why dont god five us one very long life,like 20 or more,and make us supper human for that span of time.keep us at the age of 25 or 30 for that long life.I am sure we could grow more spiritual that way,what do you think.

IP Logged

the_seeker

Re: Short lifetimes
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2007 at 3:56pm

because of evolution.  we have to follow the rules of natural Earth.  wishing to live longer is like wishing there wasn't gravity.

eventually humans will live longer because of better medical technology/genetics.

IP Logged

betson

SE USA
Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2007 at 4:03pm

Greetings,

When I first read your plan I agreed with you.  At age 25--30 most folks are free of aches and pains, so it seems like their minds would be clearer for thinking on important subjects.

But then I started thinking that without those aches and pains we get to feeling like we can do anything---we're like superman (sort of.) When I felt really good I wanted to see what I could do,   then I wanted to do something important,   then I wanted to be important! 
In other words my ego took over and I forget to notice what's going on around me.

So now I think that getting old is supposed to slow us down. It forces us to look around and try to figure out a better way to live.

Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

Gweexldax

Alamosa Junk Yard

Arizona Mohave Desert
Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2007 at 4:34pm

I wish I could stick my 60 year old brain into my 26 year old body, but then I think : " OH God, you mean I have to witness at least 4 more major wars ?"  AND, I am actually happy not being fertile any more, so this 60 year old vehicle of flesh and bone will have to suffice. I plan to make it stick around long enough, (hopefully) to make the world somewhat more rational, and friendly.  Cool

Have you snubbed a nasty Corporation lately?
IP Logged

Never say die

Reply #4 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 9:09am

Its a matter of perspective and what you make of that time span. Its not about quantity its about quality. You could die young at 30 or 40 but have experienced alot more living and taken more risks and have no regrets. You could live to 100 but have unfinished business. If you were a insect life is only a matter of days or weeks.

I hear that in the afterlife we can reneg to our 'best age' which is 25-30 in general.

I've also heard channellers say that our life was meant to be more like a thousand years but due to all the stresses of life and unhealthy living we reduce that number to usually below 100 years.

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 2:01pm

One explanation is that it's because most of our learning occurs in adverse life circumstances.

Another side of the same coin is to say that life is tough because when we try to go it alone we by our deluded and self interested ways make it that way. As in it's in getting back to God/learning to live through love that we can escape. Or put another way - the reality we create then will no longer cause suffering.

A world populated by superhumans (even if only living to 30yrs) seems as Betson says likely to be a world populated ego maniacs - most of us need some reverses in life to start to awaken. There's not that many of us that are awake from a young age.

Wink Presuming of course that superhumans could handle the idea of death at 30 without getting all neurotic about it...

IP Logged

pulsar

Europe
Reply #6 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 3:55pm

Hey there,

here are the "lyrics" of "Seikilos" by Corvus Corax, I think they fit in.

While you are alive, show yourself
Don't grieve about things too long
A short period is left for life
It's up to the time to bring the end

These words were written on the stele of Seikilos' tomb.

regards,

pulsar
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2007 at 5:24pm by pulsar »  

it is determined.

IP Logged

juditha
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 6:52pm

Hi George If everyone lived a long life,there would not be enough room in the world to fit us all in and we would never get to go home to the spirit world,which is where we all came from and it is our true home,earth is just a learning centre for us and when we have finished learning,we go home.

The bible says we are supposed to live 3 score and 10.thats why when we go over that age we are living on borrowed time,well thats what we say in England.

I would never want to be superhuman and live for years and years,i think that would be boring as you would never get to the spirit world and even though we are all afraid of the dieing process,we know that after death we are back home in the world of spirit where there is  unconditional love for us all.

Love and God bless    Love juditha

IP Logged

dave_a_mbs

central california
Reply #8 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 7:48pm

George- I recall my teens, and I'm darned glad to no longer be led through life by my overactive gonads. Nowadays I'm more in line with Gweex, since neither I nor my wife have to worry about unexpected additions to our family. (The great-grand-kids would be shocked! - So would I!)

The biblical references that suggest that we are intended to live a thousand years were based on the earliest method of time keeping in which one lunar cycle was regarded as a year. Thus, one thousand years of that time base amounts to roughly 70 years on our modern calendar where 13 lunar cycles (months) make up one solar cycle (year). (Compare Methuselah's age in this manner and it seems quite ordinary.) So actually, we're all doing OK in that department.

So, Juditha, if I'm over 70 then I'm living on "borrowed time"? Actually, the "borrowed time" is not so bad. The problem is that arthritis and various aches and pains seem intent on collecting interest. Smiley

d

life is too short to drink sour wine
IP Logged

orlando123

France
Reply #9 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 7:26pm

Interesting theory about the Biblical lifetimes - the maths certainly seem to work. I assumed it was just so as to make these legendary Old Testament figures sound impressive. Do you know of any evidence for it apart from the fact it seems to work well? I mean historical/archaeological evidence that the ancient Jews used to calcualte ages in months?

If it's right, it might mean that creationists need to revise down the age of the Earth even more, as I think it's partly worked out stuff like the ages of biblical characters!

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 7:38pm

Smiley That Seikilos verse while suffering slightly presumably as a result of translation has a wonderful directness, simplicity and lilt to it Pulsar. It's so fresh, it could have been written yesterday.

Looked it up and was amazed to see it was written 100BC or thereabouts in Ancient Greece. We make a huge mistake when we presume that 'progress' is a given over time, when we dumb down the ancients.....

IP Logged

orlando123

France
Reply #11 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 7:48pm

Definitely - we assume we are wiser and cleverer just becasue we have computers and electric lights and cars and stuff (and I certainly can;t claim any credit for inventing any such things!). Well-translated old, or indeed ancient, writing often comes across as quite fresh and "modern" in my (fairly limited) experience. Of course it depends on the writer too. "Modern-minded" writers I remember enjoying included Montaigne (French, 15th Century), Seneca (1stC  AD), Socrates (5th C  BC?) - or at least PLato's accounts of him - and Epicurus (about 4th C  BC?). We should also not always assume we are morally superior either. Not all people in the past were biggotted racists and wife-beaters etc.

Mainly, people in the past just had somewhat less factual knowledge than us, and fewer comforts and inventions etc. But I'm not sure how much of any of those things you need to be wise or loving. Also, though we think we know a lot, no doubt our own knowledge and technologies will seem primitive to people in a hundred years' time and such things are not "essentials". I like humble people, like Socrates who said he was wise only in that he knew how little he knew; or Isaac Newton, who described himself as a small boy playing on the sands and delighting himself with pretty shells while the great ocean of truth lay undiscovered before him. Much wiser people than some self-satisfied modern know-it-all

Of course on the other hand, we should not assume writing is necessarily especially wise and meaningful JUST because its old, either. However I guess if something's stood the test of time for 2000 years or more, then it must have something going for it

IP Logged

dave_a_mbs

central california
Reply #12 - Oct 10th, 2007 at 11:41am

Orlando-
Women initially were viewed as part of the lunar cycle, and their cycle doiminated everything as the "year".

About 10,000 years back there was an agricy\ultural revolution in which we stopped being totally nomadic and started to settle down to raising things out of the ground. This led to several things, including use of counting stones to mark the number of sheep one guy had as opposed to another guy. So the stones got little marks for one person, and one sheep, while someone else did it differentlyt ... and thus we eventually got writing, representations of history - this led to a "gotterdammergung" in which the old female gods were overthrown and replaced by male gods who were in charge of the larger cycle of time which embraced (I love the pun) the female cycle.

You can actually dig this stuff out if you go back and notice who is worshipped for what and when.

Only in recent times have we begun to again allow women to dominate us men - But what the heck -  I fight back every day by leaving the seat up! -- Power to the thingy! - er that is, to the people! Smiley

d

life is too short to drink sour wine
IP Logged

orlando123

France
Reply #13 - Oct 10th, 2007 at 12:47pm

OK, thanks. Interesting theory, and in any case, as I say - the maths seem to work. However I have read that the idea of a kind of prehistoric matriarchal age when we all worshipped a great Earth goddess and we venerated women and their ability to give birth and so forth and that this was replaced by worship of male sky gods, became popular in Victorian times, but is doubted by most historians these days. I understand there's not much evidence for widespread matriarchy or veneration of the feminine, and most prehistoric tribes were probably polytheistic, with various gods and goddesses and varying customs and were often fairly male dominated as in more recent times (which I think is partly explained by biological factors like women spending a lot of time pregnant, giving birth, caring for young children, and having the problem of monthly periods etc; and being physically less strong in an age when jobs outside the home often required this -- rather than a simplistic idea of evil patriarchyyou often hear about). Theories like a great matriarchal age moving into a patriarchal one sound nice, and are especially beloved of certain feminists/neo-Wiccans etc, but IMO real history is often less clear-cut. The Wikipedia article on Matriarchy discusses this (not that I just took my opinion from there). On a tangent, such people as I just referred to also like to wildy talk about "the burning times" as a period when 8 million women were burned for being independent-minded proto-feminists; when in fact most witches were hanged, and in Europe,  Prof Ronald Hutton (probably the expert on the history of witchcraft) says it was more like 40,000 in total; also he says they were mainly unpopular women who their neighbours denounced and who they often genuinely thought were casting spells on them, in a superstitious age (and there were quite a lot of men killed as well).

PS I'm not saying any of the above necessarily means your interesting explanation of the way the ancient Hebrews came by their huge ages for their legendary founders is wrong (or that the choice of stating ages by months wasn't due to the month being an important time scale at that time - after all it must be convenient, especially if you had no writing etc - you just look up and see what the moon looks like to see how far you are through the month) although I am not so sure about the matriarchy aspect. Also (if the matriarchy thing was correct in this particular context) the OT was not written in anything like the kind of periods you are talking about and I find it surprising if the writers had inherited legends, with precise ages attached, dating back another 8,000 years or so!

Come to think of it though, isn't it also a bit odd that prehistoric people might add up all the months in their lives to arrive at huge age figures? Why would they bother? And would they even have the maths?
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2007 at 2:35pm by orlando123 »  

IP Logged

george stone

Reply #14 - Oct 10th, 2007 at 3:47pm

what about the inca people,could they be wrong about 2012

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.