Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
God reveiles to the unlearned,but holds back (Read 4511 times)
george stone

Afterlife Knowledge Member

God reveiles to the unlearned,but holds back
Sep 27th, 2007 at 11:38pm

I have read that god gives information to the unlearned but hold back that information from the learned or clever.Seintists are trying to help people who are parilzed,placeing a computerchip in there brain to move a robot arm by thought alone.I sent a sientist a message that I could move any part of my body by thought alone,with out the need of a computer chip.I even said that I could even teach people to do this.there answer it cannot be done.of course I know that my spirit is doing this,but they dont believe in god anyway.just supose that god appears to you and tells you that the cure for cancer can be found inside the bark of a willow tree.do you think they would believe you.I dont think so.George

IP Logged

Boris

Re: God reveiles to the unlearned,but holds back
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 2:55am

George, what do you mean, move any part of your body by thought alone? Dont we move our bodies with no effort all the tome, like I move a pen when I am writing?

Are you doing something that we dont ordinariy expect to be able to do?  But you are able to do it?

Please describe futher, what you are doing, that scientists say you cant do.
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2007 at 3:02pm by Boris »  

IP Logged

betson

SE USA
Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 10:00am

Greetings George,

It's really frustrating to not be believed! It used to make me feel less important, but anymore I don't care--you can't convince everyone. Doubters are a real put-down, regardless of their level of education.

One way to avoid the frustration I found is to offer your insights only to those who ask or who you know well. Boris has asked you so you  know he's interested, and many people here feel we know you and each other, so more gets shared here, thank goodness.

Thanks for the reminder about the willow bark! We used to have a willow tree, and a few chews on some bark were a great pick-me-up--everything felt better after willowbark!
Next year's supposed to be rainy according to the almanac for this region, so I think I'll go buy a little willow tree! They and their salicyclic acid are defintely good for my better health!

Thanks, Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 11:00am

There's a very famous book on Zen Buddhist thought called 'Zen mind, Beginner's Mind'  which points to this issue. By Shunryu Suzuki.

Unfortunately George your experience may be typical. The more we think we know the more inclined we are to perceive selectively to exclude what doesn't fit - we become closed. Not to mention that typical Western thought is reductionist which means we try to make sense of things by slicing them into smaller and smaller pieces until eventually as a wise man said 'we know everything about nothing'. (we lose sight of the big picture, and in doing so become even more prone to selective perception)

The other issue is that intellectual intensity blocks the 'still small voice' - our connection with our intuition or 'knowing' - especially our ability to love, to be creative, to know what's wise and good and what isn't.

Add egotistical arrogance and hubris or pride (and an academic system that sets this sort of thought up as in some way superior) as also sets in with supposed intellectual excellence and it gets a lot worse.

It's no wonder we've ended up with nuclear and other weapons of mass destruction, 'just' wars, technology driven by the profit motive rather than what's good for people and so on.

It's so hard to stay open. Meaning that one of the most important requirements for spiritual progress is the ability to live with enormous levels of uncertainty - to stop seeking definite answers, and especially to drop our need to rely on these to create a bubble world (a personal reality) we feel comfortable in. in the knowledge that the big picture is far too complex for us to more than scratch at the edges of it.

It's no accident that especially Zen Buddhist teachers seek as one part of the path to realisation to create a crisis of uncertainty in their student's minds. One means is the use of koans or riddles to meditate on which cannot be solved using normal sequential logic. Other traditions try to square the circle - to teach but at the same time not to create this closed mindedness - but all are wary of too much book learning.

So maybe it's not so much that God doesn't reveal to the learned, it's just that they aren't listening. Certainly not in the way a more naive, unlearned and intuitive personality does, although this route has its pitfalls too.....

IP Logged

george stone

Reply #4 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 1:39pm

I first recieved this mind power some 20 years ago.My wife and I went to a place where we had to clime  or walk up a lot of stairs to get where we had to go.when I got to the top/my heart was ponding so hard,that I said in my mind,slow down for gods sake,and just like that my heart went back to normal,in fact I could not feel it beating.from then on it was that,if I wanted to move some part of my body like a leg,arm,I would just command it,and it and it happen.I would watch my leg move,like it did not belong to me.Then When I was simming,and I would turn on my back to rest,I would find myself sinking,I would command my body to rise to the top of the water,and it would,in fact it was like I was laying on the water instead of in it,and as long as I kept thinking of staying like this,I could stay there all day.our mind is so powerful,its amazing what you can do.George

IP Logged

dave_a_mbs

central california
Reply #5 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 1:56pm

Hi George-  I get my willow bark in a bottle labeled Aspirin. Bets likes it as tea? Works fine for me.

Vajra has more or less hit the problem on the nose - We have an institution that claims superiority, the Golden Cow of Science to be worshipped in place of spirituality. The problem is that in its place, the scientific method is about as good as we can get, methodologically. However, there are hints slowly leaking through the cracks that other methods of knowing may also be important.

This is rather like asking what "knowing" actually is. Aside from "knowing how" and "knowing what", and related side trips, it seems that we have adopted a materialistic definition that accords with science. The flaw in this can be seen in the rise, and subsequent decline, of naive behavioral psychology. According to B F Skinner, and his followers, everything is merely a "behavior", and all behaviors can be trained through conditioning. Aside from behavior, we are dealing with the Unknown, so the nature of people who are doing the behaving is unimportant, reducing the mind to a mysterious Black Box" with unfathomable contents. While this is not untrue, there seems to be a great deal of "personhood" left out of Skinner's equation. So it is with the Scientific Method.

Virtually everyone on this forum seems to tinker with meditative states in some manner. Bruce's introduction leads us into the world of spirits where we discover people stuck in the kinks and twists of their beliefs and karmic reactions. We all have these and related experiences, each in a different way, yet all the same.  I work on the opposite side of the life-death interface, yet have the same experiences. Lack of objectivity disqualifies these experiences from science, while adherance to objective science disqualifies people from seeing into their own spiritual nature.

This is not because of a lack of data, but a lack of insight into how to deal with it. The path of avatars, Moses, Jesus, Mohammed, Ramana Maharshi and the other teachers of note, is still advisory, rather than explicatory. The Ten Commandments tells us nothing about the ultimate nature of our own spirit, but merely tells us how to stay out of trouble. Carried to extremes we simply have an Inquisition.

My personal feeling is that we will eventually start to develop methodologies to deal with subjective states, personal experiences and the like. We still have well developed ideas about "intrapsychic psychology", meaning the states inside the mind that we feel, as opposed to the states that are measured with prods and probes. And having passed unchanged through the digestive tract of behaviorists, many of these ideas have turned out to be remarkably durable.

As a simple example, in meditation we access areas of experience that are non-objective, yet which are consistent with other meditators, and which are mutable, in the sense that we can mold them into forms compatible with others' thoughts. There seems to be more going on inside the Black Box than outside it.

My personal research has been to study these "hidden data" lurking in the fringes of experience, all the way back to its beginnings. It is possible to do this in a rigorous and methodical manner, using very clearly defined symbolic techniques. And although my poor contributions to the world consist mostly of training materials for regression therapists, I, and those like me, are symptoms of a growing tendency toward looking in the dark recesses of the soul for reality. For that matter, Bruce, and all the rest of us here, signify a tendency toward awakening to a new perspective.

Perhaps that's why Siddhartha made no claims of a supernatural kind, but simply said that he had awakened (bodhi).

d

life is too short to drink sour wine
IP Logged

juditha
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 5:52pm

Hi George My doctor told me that athletes can train there hearts to go down to 50 beats a minute,so you can use your mind,but scientists like everything in black and white.

So if you showed a scientist that you can do this,then they will start listening as most scientists dont beleive in spirits even if a spirit dog bit them on the arse but there are those scientists out there who do beleive in the spirits.

Love and God bless   love juditha

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 7:48pm

That's an interesting capability George. Controlling normally automatic body functions at will is sometimes talked of in connection with highly trained eastern yogis and the like.

It's maybe worth saying that there's nothing wrong of itself with learning. The problems arise  when ego gets involved and we start mis-using or become obsessed with learning for selfish reasons - to build a selective tale on reality we feel comfortable with around ourselves, or to make ourselves out to be better than others, or to use our intellect to dominate and take advantage of others and so on....

IP Logged

george stone

Reply #8 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 10:58pm

No it  realy not like that.its something that I dont use all the time,but I know it there,so no there is noharm here.I have a bad leg that gives out sometimes.I have tryed to strech the leg while laying on my bed,and you know I can feel the leg streshing right from the hip.I think it is helping my leg by doing this.George

IP Logged

orlando123

France
Reply #9 - Oct 3rd, 2007 at 3:09pm

I don;t really understand your point George - you say you can will your body parts to move in such a way as they move without you being conscious of making the deliberate effort - I think I see your meaning as I have done it on occasion - for example willing my arm to move up and it jerks up without me doing it in the usual conscious way - is that what you mean> I am however very skeptical that such a method would help someone paralysed becasue of damaged nerves etc. I think it's just caused by sending amessage to the subconsious in some way, but if the physical pathways aren;t there to make the action I don;t think  they would. I don;t think it's literally a case of mind-over-matter as it would be, eg, if I willed a table to rise up and it did. If you can do that I would be impressed. It also seems a bit of a generalisation to say that all scientsist don;t believe in God. However modern science has got where it is by spending money on experiments etc . People in ancient times believed in God but it didn;t stop them dying of all sorts of things we can cure and innoculate against today. I find the idea that if you have spiritual beliefs and practices you should therefore disparage science, to be unhlepful. They both have their uses. Also it can be argued that science is more open-minded than many religions - it is open to change and being proven wrong, whereas some religious people aren't interested in discussion and new ideas and think they have all the answers already in theri books and traditions. If science acted like that we would still be trying to cure people by blood letting, leeches and consulting horoscopes and the phases of the moon etc, or perhaps just by praying, which is not usually very dependable.

Also, science does make use of traditional remedies when they are proven to work - like dave mentioned about the aspirin in willow bark

IP Logged

dave_a_mbs

central california
Reply #10 - Oct 3rd, 2007 at 8:17pm

My impressionis that the initial issue that George brought up was that those of us who are too obsessive with science tend to shut the doors on other forms of acquiring knowledge - such as transcendental personal experiences. But "ignorant yogis", as an example, seem to be sitting at God's feet where they are fed good information. (And the fact that it often happens to be scientifically untestable is trivial.)

dave

life is too short to drink sour wine
IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Oct 4th, 2007 at 1:10pm

Yep! Tibetan Buddhism is very clear as to the validity and effectiveness of the Yogic or solely practice based path. They equally are a bit wary sometimes of the Gelugpa school (actually the Dalai Lama's lot who it's said have reasoned themselves into dodgy territory a few times)  which emphasises inellectual learning a lot more than that the others...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.