Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Question for Dave (Read 7696 times)
Boris

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Re: Question for Dave
Reply #15 - Sep 27th, 2007 at 3:42pm

Very interesting, Albert, Dave, and Vajra.
I find that what you are saying also helps me in organizing my
normal thought processes, by giving insight into how we think,
normally.

quote:
-------
I've heard that schizophrenics tend to spin out imaginary Worlds
according to what they've learned and experienced throughout their
life. Hopefully they haven't done something such as watch a lot of
horror movies, because this is the type of imagined reality their
mind will create.
-------

True. I have found that you can deal with this imaginary world by
feeding information to this imagination. Like, don't say, "you are
crazy, that is not how it is at all", rather give them a book to
read, or whatever, with the accurate information in it, and they
will weave this into their partly imaginary world, and with luck,
adjust or replace some of it. Your job then becomes the providing
of a corrective environment to counteract the false things coming
from their imagination. This of course is for a case where they are
not that far off, and are partly rational. I certainly don't envy
Dave and the cases he describes.

Telling them they are crazy may be a good idea some of the
time, but it is damaging to their ego, which is fragile, so they
will try to protect their ego or their mental structures. It may be
part of their imaginary world to insist they are not crazy, and
this can block some of the input they need. There may be a curious
flexibility that enables them to adapt something to fit a
contradictory idea to an inflexible idea.

I see examples of this in the thinking of "normal" people.
Like "God does things in strange ways" is a device, an adaption,
to help explain something that happens that would not be proper
for a good god. This enables retaining the rigid immovable idea of
a good god, in spite the reality of something bad that was allowed
to happen, like accidents, natural disasters or diseases.

What I deal with in the middle East is a kind of mass delusion,
that is culturally normal, and some of this thinking about
schizophrenia may be applied there also.There, the delusion is not
coming from a functionally disturbed mind, but from a cultural
delusion that is taught in religious schools called Madrassas.
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2007 at 1:17am by Boris »  

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Sep 27th, 2007 at 5:33pm

Just wondering guys.

Is it that the schizo mind creates secondary views/personalities, but that they are not very well worked out or grounded in any coherent observable reality. And that they merge with each other and with primary perceptions too.

With the result of this 'mish mash' being that its responses to circumstances seem to a 'normal' person to be delusional or inappropriate?

Or is it as I'd thought that these secondary views while not very well grounded are very clearly partitioned   - to the point that it hops between them without being aware that this is happening. Giving rise to separation from primary perception, and the appearance of switching between distinct personalities?

Hysteria  is presumably the result of worry/loss of confidence in views. Is intensity a factor too - being a tendency to commit heavily to views?

Roll Eyes Or have I got it all wrong?

IP Logged

Boris

Reply #17 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 2:35am

quote:
-----------
"Or is it as I'd thought that these secondary views while not very
well grounded are very clearly partitioned   - to the point that it
hops between them without being aware that this is happening."
-----------

There can be some of each: various degrees, of clear partition with
awareness of the partition, or not much partition.

In multiple personality disorder, the partitions may be clear, such
that the person may go through a process to change personalities,
which may be deliberate and take a minute or less. Where you have a
mixture of schizophrenia and spirit attachment, it is hard to tell
which is which. The person may go through a process of allowing a
spirit to come in, which is a specific moment of change. This may
be well partitioned, so you know when the spirit enters of leaves.

But there can also be less partitioned situations, where the
person's imaginary life is mixed in with their ordinary real life,
such that the division between what is real and what is imaginary
is not clear.

Albert in his post described a moment of truth in which he began to
recognize which was real and which was false, and to define that
for himself. I am thinking that I should head toward that in the
case of a person I am dealing with. At the present this person
insists that her imaginary world is true. This is further
complicated by the possibility that some of it could sometimes be a
legitimate paranormal happening of some kind. That is, some of it
could be true. This is very difficult to sort out. I have to keep
picking up each piece of the puzzle and looking at it and wondering
what it means.

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 8:14am

Ta Boris. So much for my naive sense that schizo means split personality and implies clear partitioning. Roll Eyes

That makes for an incredibly difficult diagnostic and treatment strategy situation - there's the possibility of a more or less infinitely mixed continuum of symptoms presenting. Kind of like what happens when most theories meet reality!

I wonder if instead of trying to describe the condition at the level of manifested symptoms (which it seems may be so complex as to be hard to draw any conclusions from) if it's a case of looking for some sort of root cause.

We talk blithely of love, wisdom and compassion, and that these originate via our connection to the Godhead. Which is a rather 'mythical' explanation to our Western ears. But is it possible as I think somebody has already suggested that the critical loving/sense making/discriminating capability does in fact come from some higher level. (e.g. is not brain generated at all, but is communicated by say quantum means from the zero point energy field)

Is it possible that schizo individuals either due to a physical brain impairment of some sort, or due to the blocking static caused by incredibly high (mis) perceived threat/stress levels and the resulting intellectual churn (or both as seems likely) are simply unable to access the source of this higher sense making capability?

Is it for example possible that they are simply a more extreme version of what is basically the normal untrained human state of mind? Most of us have to work hard with meditation and the like to get the mind calmed enough to create the opening for love to come through, but despite patches of loopiness we somehow instinctively have an urge to health. What if the schizo mind gets so isolated that it loses this compass almost entirely?

One very clear characteristic of the intellect/discursive part of mind is that it can by blocking out conflicting information and using selective logic decide (especially over time) that almost anything is true. We do this all the time when we selectively perceive situations to suit our pre-conceptions - e.g. they are all against me.

Basic sanity/objectivity/stability/lovingness are meanwhile very obviously increased by the calmness and space or slowing of compulsive thought brought about by meditation or other means.

Very high levels of mental intensity and churn can and do for sure 'deafen' us insofar as these higher abilities/feelings are concerned. (which feelings just emerge as 'knowing' - they are not the conclusion of any rational/intellectual process)

It's easy to see how (especially if mixed with some glitches in conventional discursive/intellectual logical processes) a mind in such a state of total isolation could go on to adopt some pretty inhuman and deluded views, and could be very hard to bring back....

IP Logged

dave_a_mbs

central california
Reply #19 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 3:35pm

A better interpretation of "schizophrenic" is "fragmentary mind", with the sense of a lot of islands of function, but little connectivity. This might reflect some of the neurological divisions of the brain's operation that have failed to integrate.

The model I use is based on the attitudes of the subpersonalities that emerge, whatever their origin might actually be. My impression is that the present day personality has gaps, holes, vacancies etc in certain areas. These seem to be filled by "not-self" fragments that state their intention as forcing the actor to live a good life, or otherwise, to self-destruct. They tend to be very limited in function, not well shaped personalities, as if they were called up from lifetimes long past when things were much more brutal.

Most schizophrenics have normally developed logical capability, but they seem to lack emotional stability. There is no way to "reason with them" or to "talk them out of it". The logic is generally clear that they are unhappy and need assistance, but everything is frightening, and that fear overrides the logic. The result is a generalized panic state that is called up by almost anything. Catatonics, as an example, appear to be so terrified that they are in "possum mode", their bodies frozen into immobility and abandoned to whatever degree is possible. When someone intrudes the usual response is a superhuman strength attack.

The closest I can suggest as an example is to imagine going through life while dreaming, unable to tell what is real, what is projected, and unable to organize thoughts, but being acutely fearful of existential destruction by unknown factors. Clusters of inappropriate random "clang associations" occur simply because they have some common factor, giving a world without boundaries or definitions. Just degrees of chaos. Being caught in a waking nightmare while in a delirium that prevents thought is a good analogy. The most competent can handle a shoping cart filled with tin cans etc, as well as a host of imaginary tormentors, and the rest simply can't cope.

There are two basic modalities of menta deviency. What we usualy think of is hysterical function, which amounts to brooding over something to excess, and then projecting a distorted world because the distortions feel better. We all do this to some extent - false pride is an example. And when the false pride is shown to be false, we go through a "breakdown", which means that we have to abandon our distortions and accept unpleasant reality. The same mechanism is used in meditation, but in that case we turn it so that the regeneration leads deeper into meditation, greater inner silence, and better definition and awareness of reality.

Bipolar types seem to be on the fringes of the same kind of delusional thought as schiz at times, but are grounded in a reality that is often hysterically depressed, or at the other extreme, might be manic, and feeling like God - and ready to "fix the world" even if it means killing off a lot of people. (The resemblance to certain politicians in the modern world is obvious. - We need a mental health screen for Presidential candidates. One example - overcoming a substance addiction is a good sign of potentially good character, but it is not a sign of resolution of the underlying mental factors causing the addiction. Bush's actions in office would have been pretty easily predictable if anyone had thought of matters in this maner.)

dave

life is too short to drink sour wine
IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 7:56pm

Smiley Thank you very much for that Dave. I'm sorry guys if I've taken us down a more technical route than is interesting for most but i couldn't help flying the kite in the hope of gathering information on a topic that is to me very interesting...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.