Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Dalai Lama teaching on Dependent Origination (Read 11888 times)
vajra
Ex Member

Re: Dalai Lama teaching on Dependent Origination
Reply #30 - Sep 25th, 2007 at 7:56am

Thank you R. I can't draw on experience to formulate views as to how the oversoul works. Don't think that an incarnation following completion of the oversoul (but that's only me speculating) would be some sort of super human with 100% conscious recall of the collective wisdom and experience though.

Tibetan Rinpoches (who have vowed to be reborn until all beings in this reality achieve realisation) will if pushed however sometimes admit to the ability to access information from past lives, and on just about all shades of existence. (they may embody differing levels of realisation)

Some of the more realised (bearing in mind that it's not regarded as good practice to talk too much about this stuff or to flout it as it creates the wrong perspective)  demonstrate pretty amazing abilities to know and to influence events and their own physical reality - beginning from childhood. Some pretty amazing stories of very odd events are told by those that accompanied the 16th Kagyu Karmapa (hope I have the number right - he died in Boston back in the 80s) on his US visits.

On the other hand they have to be brought up and educated the same as anybody else - if something comes through it seems to be in the form of insight, intuition, wisdom, compassion and the like plus special abilities. Whatever else these traditions have an amazing track record in picking kids at a very early age, declaring them a reincarnation of whoever. The deceased has usually left information so that he can be found when he is reborn. (which implies control over this too)

They almost without fail blossom into the most amazing individuals as above....

Whatever about the above, I have to agree to wondering too how the bodhisattva vow when (as is usually the case) taken by a single not very realised individual can be a good idea. Unless of course there's something slightly magical going on....

IP Logged

recoverer

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #31 - Sep 25th, 2007 at 12:21pm

Vajra:

I figure the spirit World knows that Tibetan Buddhism tries to identify Lamas by seeing whether a child can identify objects. That being the case, if what I suggest is true, all the spirit World would have to do is implant memories of such objects into whatever spirit incarnates into a potential Lama's body.
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2007 at 7:54pm by recoverer »  

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Sep 25th, 2007 at 1:15pm

Good thinking R. Not only that but the highly focused creative intention created by a highly disciplined meditative tradition would make it especially likely that it would play out to script.

Gets really interesting then though, in the that it really does blur the boundaries as regards the personal perspective on reincarnation and on what it is that actually has continuity between lives.

It's definitely not total the personality or the body, maybe something more like a set of attributes and tendencies that interact with the biology and the circumstances it finds itself in....

IP Logged

dave_a_mbs

Afterlife Knowledge Member

central california
Reply #33 - Sep 26th, 2007 at 5:19pm

Perhaps not the best term, but I call it "attitude" - the process that is supported by the extended stuff. Process can exist in manifestation, in everyday spacetime, or in pure potentiality. In fact the Ultimate Attitude would be Godhead (or Buddha-Mind, or whatever you call it) existing in absolute nothingness, since that's a state of total potentiality.

In principle, were we able to devise a machine that would both have the ability for a spook to couple onto it, plus a means to make noises or other expessions interactively, we should be able to create an "artificial embodiment".  This is a pet project of mine, and it seems to be potentially practical. Then the "thing" that would get embodied would necessarily have no content except information flow. Hence, "attitude", the tendency toward responding in this or that manner to random stimulii.

dave

life is too short to drink sour wine
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.