Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Dalai Lama teaching on Dependent Origination (Read 11867 times)
dave_a_mbs

Afterlife Knowledge Member

central california
Dalai Lama teaching on Dependent Origination
Sep 18th, 2007 at 7:04pm

I just received a nice two DVD set of the Dalai Lama's teachings on Dependent Origination from the Gyuto Vajrayana Center in San Jose CA. Those interested in this area would probably enjoy this presentation. The topic is specifically focussed on the causes of reality, rather than how we deal with reality after death. Thus, it involves concepts a little deeper than life and death. Those who were involved in the "free will" discussion (which seems to still be ongoing in some respects, as I didn't sense closure) will notice that the approaches discussed, those of Je Tsong Khapa and Nagarjuna, are very much to the point of the discussion, as well as afterlife events and decisions etc.

This DVD et is not widely commercially available, if at all. I recommend it highly. You can buy it directly from the monks.

The web address of the Gyuto Vajrayana Center is www.gyutocenter.org

If you're in the area, they'd be happy to see you drop in.

dave

life is too short to drink sour wine
IP Logged

orlando123

France
Re: Dalai Lama teaching on Dependent Origination
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2007 at 2:21am

Sounds interesting - and the place looks it too. Unfortunately I'm not very near to St José to drop in.. Is it possible to summarize some of the points he makes?

IP Logged

dave_a_mbs

central california
Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2007 at 1:19pm

Hi Orlando-

Anything can be summarized, however uselessly-

The essential teaching is that everything is nothing, and only because it is nothing it is everything. Thus, sensation (etc) s to be experienced, yet it is nothing, nor is there any experience nor an experiencer.

The presentation by the authors, and thus the Dalai Lama's review and analysis of their works, is much more to the point because it covers the entire concept of causes and conditions as a dependent series arising innately. If you're really interested, I suggest that poke up the Center's site and buy a copy of the DVDs - or pick up Nargarjuna's teachings and those of Je Tsong Kapa at your favorite book store - probably available through Snow Lion publishing, or maybe Shambala. I suggest that you avoid Western summaries because they often carry presumptions of individuality and the translations are not as good as the Tibetan translators' work.

dave

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 19th, 2007 at 5:31pm

Thank you Dave, have ordered a set.  Smiley Looks like they have a free download now.

Must say I find it so very inspiring the way Buddhism and especially Tibetan Buddhism treats this stuff so clearly and  with such precision. And makes it available at minimum cost or for free.....

IP Logged

spooky2

Reply #4 - Sep 19th, 2007 at 9:12pm

Yes indeed, I just have downloaded 4 sound files, the Dalai Lama talking with following translation/questions into English. Thanks for the reference! Got to burn it to cd and listen.

Spooky

"I'm going where the pavement turns to sand"&&Neil Young, "Thrasher"

IP Logged

dave_a_mbs

central california
Reply #5 - Sep 19th, 2007 at 11:08pm

Glad that this is useful to you. My own philosophical perspective attempts to look at "how it can be nothing", and arises from Vedanta rather than Buddhism, but that's just because I was unaware that the Buddhists had beaten me to it! Smiley

I see three levels of interaction here. The most obvious is everyday stuff, like when I buy coffee and a croissant at the corner. In this world we live and die. 

Then the next world is that in which Bruce liberates stuck souls, which is what attracted me here. It's also the world in which I work to help people with past life issues, since that's the other side of ebing stuck - either going into spirit, where Bruce helps, or getting back to flesh, where I'm available.

Then the third level is going back prior to life and death, and also prior to the spirit world, and in this way we look at how the definitions of reality fray around the edges, and what they seem to arise from. (I claim that pure logic in a potential state space is sufficient.)

All of these are the same, yet they differ as we perceive them.

Hopefully, the DVDs will assist others to zero in on truth, as other recordings of the Dalai Lama's teachings have helped me.

d

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #6 - Sep 21st, 2007 at 12:56pm

It's funny, I was into Eastern teachings for years. Advaita Vedanta, Chan Buddhism, that sort of thing. Basically non-dual teachings that teach that the World is nothing but an illusion.

Eventually I made contact with my higher self in a disc/over soul sense. Found that this Universe and other Universes are far more than just an illusion. They were created with the creative aspect of source which is just as much a part of source, as pure consciousness and love are a part of source. The energy one feels in awakened kundalini, an atomic blast, or energy radiating from the sun, is far more than illusion. It is the dynamic energy which comes from the divine source of all.

No Eastern teaching I've delved into, has helped me to the extent that making contact with my higher self has done so. I've read lots of Eastern teachings, and never found any that speak of higher self in a disc/oversoul sense.

Here is an analogy that might sound silly but makes a point.  Say a man is asked to give his impression of what a Dagwood Bumstead sandwhich tastes like. If he took the Eastern approach, he'd taste one piece of bread that represents pure consciousness, and one piece of bread that represents the physical World, but wouldn't taste all that lies inbetween. How could he possibly comment on what the entire sandwhich tastes like, if he won't taste it?

Similarly, how could one possibly come to know all of one's self, if one isn't willing to consider who one is at all levels. For people who make contact with their higher self at a disc/oversoul level, it isn't just some hallucination.

Dogmatism isn't limited to religions of the West.

IP Logged

dave_a_mbs

central california
Reply #7 - Sep 21st, 2007 at 3:26pm

Actually, the point of the Buddhist sandwich is that not everything is made of bread, nor the ham and cheese between. We have the Eater, with awareness, and we have the World-Sandwich, and the Eating. But beyond that we have the unseen world of spirit to which we go after eating the andwich, a sort of PortaPotty for dumping gross materials prior to exiting for the next meal. That much, most spiritually inclined religions agree upon. The Buddhist's point is that the space in which all this occurs is essentially empty, and all of the stuff that we think of as ultimately real and personal, right down to the teeth that we eat with, is actually self-arising out of emptiness.

At this point we can take several equally valid approaches. One is that this is due to the "Uncaused Cause". Or we can side with science as say that it's all a matter of thermodynamics (which is another term for the Uncaused Cause), and then develop symbolic expressions that explain this process. (That's where I work.)  Or we can side with Hindus and say that this is all a projection from the mind of the Absolute Self (aka Brahman, God, etc), which is the Uncaused Cause projected into the world as the Mind that thinks the world, and in which we all share. (In the 1960 ers, hippies who used LSD plus intensive meditation used to enter sarvastarka samadhi, and they termed this "the Cosmic Consciousness". The same concept is available in the more esoteric Hindu teachings on yoga states. Swami Sivananda's book on the states of yogic progress is a good source. I can't find a title on line, but I have the book at home. It essentially would term your "night in heaven" as samadhi.)   Or Buddhists call it emptiness, the nature of which gives rise to structures that resemble reality and folks like us.

The dogmatism that is the target is the assumption that any aspect of reality is "real", permanent and absolute.

In specific, the "anatta doctrine" objects to the notion of a God who has physical embodiment, and sits on a cloud with a Cosic Flyswatter looking for sinners to whack, or a soul that is invariable, like a lump of coal, together with the idea that we are individually enduring ego states, as opposed to evolving awareness, or the concept of an eternal world with some kind of intrnsic validity.

Instead, the lesson from Siddhartha is that everything is contingent, an evolving aggregate, and rooted in nothing except the logic of its own nature. Thus, it can project itself, and by projecting it interacts, acquires knowledge, makes choices and grows. Were this untrue, it could do nothing (as in the dynamc ontology of Bishop Berkeley q.v.), and would be non-interactive, hence dead and invisible.

Incidentally, this is the Madhyamaika Pransangika interpretation to which I subscribe. It is better expressed in the Prajnaparamita Sutra, or the present teachings from Nagarjuna et al. There are other similar interpretations by other Eastern sects, like the Svatrantikas etc, including pure idealism and naive nihilism. These generally seem to have technical issues that don't resolve very well, as they generally trail off into infinite regressions and unreslved contingencies. "Eastern philosophy" is not all of a single kind and opinion, but varies, much like the contents of a Dagwood.

Actually, for people on this Forum, there's nothing new here except perspective. For the common ego-dominated people of the world, some of these ideas are a bit shocking and unsettling, as they destroy the notion of a do-nothing fire-escape religion, what I tend to refer to as "the magic of Voodoo Christianity", substituting in its place the notion of personal responsibility. (The equivalant concept is Matt 7:12 - golden rule, but takenliterally.) This may be upsetting, but so are ghosts, afterlife experiences and the seemingly mysterious operation of karma unsettling to many.

dave

IP Logged

dave_a_mbs

central california
Reply #8 - Sep 21st, 2007 at 4:02pm

Sivananda Swami's book describing the stages of spiritual development from the standpoint of yoga can be obtained from the Divine Life Society, www.dlshq.org/books/books.htm and is titled "Spiritual Experiences" - their book number code E63, I think.

If you want to really understand yoga, and thus the actual essence of Hindu practice, this kind of thing is far better than trying to read erudite analyses by "experts" who have never praciced it.

d

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #9 - Sep 21st, 2007 at 4:20pm

Dave:

Responses below within double quotation marks.

dave_a_mbs wrote on Sep 21st, 2007 at 3:26pm:
Actually, the point of the Buddhist sandwich is that not everything is made of bread, nor the ham and cheese between. We have the Eater, with awareness, and we have the World-Sandwich, and the Eating. But beyond that we have the unseen world of spirit to which we go after eating the andwich, a sort of PortaPotty for dumping gross materials prior to exiting for the next meal. That much, most spiritually inclined religions agree upon. The Buddhist's point is that the space in which all this occurs is essentially empty, and all of the stuff that we think of as ultimately real and personal, right down to the teetch that we eat with, is actually self-arising out of emptiness.

""But that emptiness from which everything arises is no mere emptiness. It is filled with potential. The potential to create.  Sure, there is no fixed manner in which things have to be created, but one experiences according to what one creates.  What one experiences is real for as long as one experiences it. Regarding "as long as,"  since all of time exists in the same eternal now, one can never get completely away from what one has created. One can only evolve to the point where one enjoys a perfected result.

In his third book Ultimate Journey, Robert Monroe writes about returning to where he came from.  He found that the experience of manifestation is gone through, because the basic state we started with wasn't complete, and needed to be added to.  This goes along with my feeling that manifestation "isn't" just one big fat mistake. Dagwood made the sandwich because he wanted to eat it.""

At this point we can take several equally valid approaches. One is that this is due to the "Uncaused Cause". Or we can side with science as say that it's all a matter of thermodynamics (which is another term for the Uncaused Cause), and then develop symbolic expressions that explain this process. (That's where I work.)  Or we can side with Hindus and say that this is all a projection from the mind of the Absolute Self (aka Brahman, God, etc), which is the Uncaused Cause projected into the world as the Mind that thinks the world, and in which we all share. Or Buddhists call it emptiness, the nature of which gives rise to structures that resemble reality and folks like us.

""My feeling is that reality is just simply reality, and it can't be categorized according to our concepts of physical and non physical. There is only one reality, and whether this reality appears as pure awareness (emptiness), love, or the ability to create, it is all the same thing.  Because of love and because we can create, awareness, the emptiness, has something to be aware of. What would be the point of having awareness, if there wasn't a Dagwood sandwich to eat?""

The dogmatism that is the target is the assumption that any aspect of reality is "real", permanent and absolute.

""Just because a Dagwood sandwich can be made in many different ways, this doesn't mean it wont fill your tummy. The key is to learn to make a sandwich that won't give you indigestion. Perhaps this is part of the reason we are all here. We're learning to make Dagwood sandwiches without getting indigestion.""

In specific, the "anatta doctrine" objects to the notion of a God who has physical embodiment, and sits on a cloud with a Cosic Flyswatter looking for sinners to whack, or a soul that is invariable, like a lump of coal, together with the idea that we are individually enduring ego states, as opposed to evolving awareness, or the concept of an eternal world with some kind of intrnsic validity.

""I don't believe that God is an old man in the sky who sits on a throne. There are people who have experienced cosmic consciousness. During such an experience they find that the divine source of all is aware of everything that takes place within it.  I don't understand why this possibility is so hard to understand. If we can be aware of think about everything that happens within our energy field, then why can't the source being in which everything takes place be aware of and think about everything that takes place within its energy field. Buddhism doesn't tend to speak of this omnipresent being.

Regarding Souls, if energy can accumulate to form chains of thought, bodies, planets, stars and such, why can't it accumulate to form Souls.  If an Eastern teacher had an experience of higher self in a disc/oversoul sense, he or she wouldn't be so quick to deny the existence of a Soul.""

Instead, the lesson from Siddhartha is that everything is contingent, an evolving aggregate, and rooted in nothing except the logic of its own nature. Thus, it can project itself, and by projecting it interacts, acquires knowledge, makes choices and grows. Were this untrue, it could do nothing (as in the ontology of Bishop Berkeley q.v.), and would be non-interactive, hence dead and invisible.

""If the energy with which we create is a part of divine reality, then what we experience is real even if we can change the manner in which we create. Especially if our experience determines whether or not we are happy.

If one came to the conclusion that all is empty, wouldn't one have to make use of manifested creative mind energy in order to realize this? After all, how could pure awareness/emptiness realize anything specific?""

Incidentally, this is the Madhyamaika Pransangika interpretation to which I subscribe. It is better expressed in the Prajnaparamita Sutra, or the present teachings from Nagarjuna et al. There are other similar interpretations by other Eastern sects, like the Svatrantikas etc, including pure idealism and naive nihilism. These generally seem to have technical issues that don't resolve very well, as they generally trail off into infinite regressions and unreslved contingencies. "Eastern philosophy" is not all of a single kind and opinion, but varies, much like the contents of a Dagwood.

Actually, for people on this Forum, there's nothing new here except perspective. For the common ego-dominated people of the world, some of these ideas are a bit shocking and unsettling, as they destroy the notion of a fire-escape religion, what I tend to refer to as "the magic of Voodoo Christianity", substituting in its place the notion of personal responsibility. But so are ghosts, afterlife experiences and the seemingly mysterious operation of karma unsettling to many.

""I used to be a big fan of the Buddhist teachings you speak of.  Eventually I learned it was dualistic to consider the manifested part of existence as something other than God, just a big delusion.

I was a really big fan of Ramana Maharshi.  At the time I used to think, so what if I become enlightened when there is still a universe full of suffering beings? How could I possibly be happy if this is the case? One day I had this really deep insight which told me that we all wake up in the same eternal now. Therefore, when one wakes up, one finds that there is no more suffering, because all others have also awakened.

This is part of the reason I liked Ramana and Certain Buddhist teachings so much.  They helped me relive my insight that when I wake up, I'll find there are no other suffering beings to worry about.

However, eventually, I realized that if I have to experience inperfection despite what I realized above, then everybody else has to do the same. It is just that we all do so at the same time, even though in a linear sense, it seems as if people in different time periods do so at different times. When Ramana would tell his followers they don't have to worry about things such as Wars because it is all a dream he was wrong, because despite how illusory things might be, we suffer while we are in the dream. Sometimes, quite horribly. Therefore, I believe it is important to do what we can to improve the World, so our brothers and sisters of so called future generations don't have to go through unnecessary suffering.""

dave

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #10 - Sep 21st, 2007 at 4:37pm

Dave:

"Erudite analyses by experts who have never practised it?" If you mean me, you way underestimate my experience with Eastern teachings. Eventually I found that such teachings have their limits and aren't completely accurate, and moved onto something that has helped me much more.

Do I have all the answers? No. But this is okay. This I believe is one of the problems with Eastern teachings. The word "enlightenment" is thrown out there so much, a person is liable to get into an all or nothing approach. It is much better to spiritually grow as much as one can,  without taking an all or nothing approach. Another problem with Eastern teachings is that people often believe that gurus and such have all the answers when they don't.  A person limits his or her growth if he or she won't go beyond what Eastern teachings teach.

I do not believe one can truly understand the value of Eastern teachings, if one hasn't allowed one's self to critically consider what Eastern teachings say, and if one hasn't taken the time to find out what higher self means in a disc/oversoul sense.

dave_a_mbs wrote on Sep 21st, 2007 at 4:02pm:
Sivananda Swami's book describing the stages of spiritual development from the standpoint of yoga can be obtained from the Divine Life Society, www.dlshq.org/books/books.htm and is titled "Spiritual Experiences" - their book number code E63, I think.

If you want to really understand yoga, and thus the actual essence of Hindu practice, this kind of thing is far better than trying to read erudite analyses by "experts" who have never praciced it.

d

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #11 - Sep 21st, 2007 at 4:49pm

P.S. I don't mean to suggest that Eastern teachings don't have anything to offer, but there are limits and inaccuracies. Just because people meditate and do things that seem exotic, this doesn't mean they have all the answers.

Why do I make such a point about speaking of Eastern teachings as I do? Because I believe way too many people have allowed themselves to be limited by them. Even teachings that seem profound can wrap a person in a limiting belief system.

IP Logged

dave_a_mbs

central california
Reply #12 - Sep 21st, 2007 at 5:00pm

Again, the target of Buddhism is to get rid of the absolutism of predestination and eternal permanence. The idea of "acting from the point of cause" means going to the place that this stuff emerges, and making decisions. I use this explicitly in therapy, such as a suggestion - "Go back before there was reality. Back to the instant of Creation. Back an instent prior, where you encounter the Infinite Creative Impulse, as love, as enthusiastic creativity, as omniscient awareness. Now, form the image of the world that you wish to live in, and see it replace the old ways of living. And finally, bring all this forward, watching the wonderful burst of fireworks as the universe is projected, all the way up to the present moment. - And now wake up"

I more materialistic and catechistic terms, Where is this universe? It is an island in emptiness.

How does it occur? It occurs because of the innate nature of emptiness.

What is the nature of reality? Reality is actually of the nature of the emptiness from which it arises. However, to us who live here, it is also real in the present moment, and is experienced as real, even though its utimate nature is empty.

And what of God? The innate nature of emptiness includes the totality of all potentialities to create, thus, when we speak of emptiness, it is like a dark verbal cloak covering the light of the Creator. This is dificult for those who seek a material God, but easy for those who can accept that the nature of God has no contingent properties by which to be limited. Thus, without properties to make God contingent, God is in emptiness, and beyond this we simply can't see. (Or at least not today.)

Samadhi is of two sorts, the common sort in which all seems real and it all works, and the sort that cannot be described in which we share the creative moment, yet nothing innate exists. Energy is one of thie things that vanishes, since it is actually a construct made up of matter, force and motion in space.

As you suggest, the most worthy goal is to serve others to reduce their pain - which turns out to be reduction of our own pain because, among other thngs, we are all one. So you've taken your own version of the Bodhisattvic obligation.

The purpose of the Four Noble Truths of Buddhism is to reduce suffering. The idea is that (1) By chance alone we have only a 50:50 chance of success, made smaller by human involvements and exploitations etc. This is a nuisance called "suffering". (2) We can see that suffering comes from attachments to things (and ations and relationships) that don't work. (3) Getting rid of dysfunctional attachments ends suffering. (4) The 8-fold path (and dozens of other approaches) ends suffering.

All the metaphysics in these concepts is our own addition. However, after you've died, you'll notice that what you've done in this life seems more like a dream while you're in spirit, and the spiritual reality seems predominate. (This you can test personally). Then it reverses at birth. So distant wars etc do not, in fact, directly involve us as perpetrators, we merely dream that we must get involved. (Usually without understanding all thedetails!) Better still is a life in which we stay involved with being our own selves 100%, doing what we actually can here and now locally. Then we can, as Jesus put it, "Let the dead bury the dead." Our job is with the living right next door.

And that, if I interpret you correctly, is what you've been saying all along.  Just different words, different perspective.

d

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #13 - Sep 21st, 2007 at 5:07pm

Dave:

I agree it is important to make contact with our source awareness, because it enables us to obtain freedom from mind stuff that is having a negative effect on us. This is one way in which years of meditation has benefited me. It has made it so I am better able to disentangle myself from negative mind stuff (still working at it though Wink.

I believe the key is to someday find that even though what we create has value in varying ways, in the end we don't let it bind us by finding that knowledge, self worth, happiness, peace and love are found in an inward way.

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #14 - Sep 21st, 2007 at 5:43pm

Albert, I can relate to what Dave says here:

“The Buddhist's point is that the space in which all this occurs is essentially empty, and all of the stuff that we think of as ultimately real and personal, right down to the teeth that we eat with, is actually self-arising out of emptiness.”

As far as what I have learned in my experiences all forms that exist on the physical plane exists within a spiritual template where forms appear as transparent lines on a deep blue background in which the form is manifested by the background space having been completely filled in and the empty space that is left is what creates the form.

For example, in Euclidian geometry, defining a point creates a sphere.  A radius drawn out from that point in all three dimensions will create the surface of the sphere.  However, in etheric space which one could say is negative space, to form a sphere the opposite occurs where an infinite number of planes comes from all directions to fill in all space except for a spherical area of space left empty.  It is the area not filled in by all the planes meeting each other that then defines an empty spherical space.  Therefore, all that arises does so out of emptiness.  It appears to be this empty space or template from which all forms are created.

Dave thanks for the link.  I’ve dl the files as well.  I’m also wondering if you could explain a little more about what is meant by phenomena?

Love, Kathy

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.