Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Of Daydreams, and Being a New Age Wackadoodle (Read 16821 times)
DocM

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Of Daydreams, and Being a New Age Wackadoodle
Aug 31st, 2007 at 12:41am

This is a topic that had to come out in its own thread, and I may just be the right guy to put it out there, and then put the whole thing to rest.  Often in discussions on this forum, we hear criticisms of retrievals and other mystical experences referred to as bogus daydreams or the imaginings of a New Age quackadoodle (Don tends to alternate between the word "wackadoodle" and "quackadoodle").  There are erudite discussions citing alleged verifications and "proof" of firsthand mystical experiences.  If what one person says doesn't pass the sniff test - it is dismissed by another as a lucid dream or self delusion.  When some contributors, like Dave-MBS, or Mairlyn bring up their own experiences with either past live regression or past lives, they are at times unfairly dismissed altogether.

Meanwhile, the majority of open minded people on this forum listen to each other, read the posts, throw in their own comments, and share their experiences.  Some have their own bend.....the Chumleys with their negative spin on immortality or the Darths with their anti-religious zeal.  But at least there is a sharing of ideas - a resonance of open minds tossing things out there to be taken as they will.  Over time, many of us take concepts, and when they ring true to us again and again, we decide to accept them into our thinking.  Certain terms such as "like attracts like" to describe the afterlife and how people move after death, or "as above, so below," to describe how certain fundamental laws of the universe likely apply in the afterlife as well.  Other concepts such as Swedenborg's dictum that chritian spirituality is about love of God and love of one's fellow man resonate with Bruce Moen's finding that we are here to learn to express pure unconditional love.  

As the ideas are bandied back and forth, our consciousness expands and grows.  Some call the incorporation of various concepts from christianity, buddhism, zen, taoism, etc. "New Age thought."  Don has called it a "ghetto mentality," and doesn't realize how many of us he insults by doing so.  The main criticism levied against this New Age thought is that in it, everyone's point of view may be correct - as such, anyone's experience, be it a retrieval, lucid dream, or partnered exploration, is taken at face value as being a true experience.  One senior member here said at one point that she was a reincarnation of St. Peter.  A critic scoffed at this notion - yet the same critic described in detail how a deceased relative (of a member of his parish) entered a car of a loved one in "materialized form" and drove a certain distance after death, before dissolving again into the afterlife.  Somehow, that was believeable, yet the St. Peter reincarnation was not.

If you go back through this forum far enough you will see much written about thought in the physical plane and the afterlife.  Many sources have found that in areas like focus 27 or the heavens - thought is immediately translated into reality.  Swedenborg described this centuries before Monroe and Moen.  In the "real world," the translation of thought and belief into reality is less direct, but just as real - and this has been the topic of a number of good threads on Bruce's forum.  

We also see that in the afterlife there are belief system territories, where individuals who adhere to rigorous religious doctrine find their own heavens, until something comes by that shakes their rigid belief structure enoguh that they realize there is more to consciousness.  At that point, we are told, they move on to different focus levels (heavens, or planes).  

So what is the difference between a New Age Wackadoodle, and a conservative fact driven explorer of spirituality?  The answer, my friends is that of belief systems.  The fact driven explorer wants everything proven, referenced and verifable.  This is his/her belief system.  If it is not supported by documentation and hard evidence, it is imaginary.  For the New Age explorer, it is not the written documentation that is sought in exploring spirituality - it is the direct experience itself!  It is the direct contact with the divine, the direct exploration that provides verification and spiritual growth.  Is it possible, that the New Ager will be more prone to error and daydreaming?  Of course - but the open mindedness is bound to let thought develop into reality (as it is want to do).

Daydreaming is part of the imagination method that Bruce teaches both to make contact with the deceased and to explore.  The trick is to start off with an open mind, and allow things to unfold without forcing the process of imagination beyond a certain point.  Then, when verifiable facts come out of the experience, it is clear that the ability to open one's mind and heart to imagination was not mere fakery, but an essential part of the mystical experience.

I have been raised in the United States to believe in and respect logic, documentation and reason.  Most of my medical practice is based upon case control studies showing what is the best way to treat people.  Yet the spiritual side of medicine - the intangibles of healing not easily explained by controlled data has become just as important and interesting to my practice as the textbooks of facts that I have studied.

If one could only choose to either be a New Age Wackadoodle, or a fact and documentation driven explorer, I suppose that I would have to be counted among the "Wack pack," if it were just one or the other.  I still am striving to combine both, however, true spirituality can only be assesed from the direct experience.  If I only count on written documentation, I am using logic to adopt a belief system of someone else rather than try to explore with my own open mind.  Until we merge with the divine, we all go from one belief system to another - like trying on new clothes.  The least restricted belief system, the better for spiritual growth.

I will be happy to debate anyone on the virtues behind what is commonly termed New Age thought - I am hopeful, but doubtful that this thread may put an end to the belittling and demeaning remarks I have seen out of one corner of the forum.  But we'll see.

Matthew

IP Logged

Steve_Ed
Ex Member

Re: Of Daydreams, and Being a New Age Wackadoodle
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 1:33am

One of my ideas that I picked up from Bob Ross is that "We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents."  I am one who likes to work with road maps of the afterlife, but I don't conform to any belief system and just do my best to not see the symbols through colored glasses.  One reason of infinite reasons that this might upset some people, but not all, is because they might feel a rush of power when somebody is seeing things through their ideals and the rush of power over people is their addiction.  The need to be right, the fear of being wrong, it could be anything aside from what I have mentioned.

Think about how many Fundamentalist Christian groups expect you to give unquestioning worship to a Holy Bible, the sect of Scientists that expect unquestioning worship to Darwin Evolution and/or accidental creation of life because we just got lucky, and how there are those that expect that we give unquestioning faith to their favorite documentaries.  I support freedom of speech and the respect of opinions first and foremost and loving respect for the people's right to individuality.

Also, the name calling seems a common tactic to take focus off of somebody and put it on somebody they want to discredit to boost their ego and it's supporting belief system.  When somebody has their ego well tamed, then they would see criticism as a means of expanding their knowledge given that this criticism does nor require submission to someone's authority.  The book "The Celestine Prophecy" gives an interesting view on this mental war as rooted in belief systems that see a world where you gain power by taking it from somebody else.

Written With Love,
Steve Edward

IP Logged

pulsar

Europe
Reply #2 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 11:33am

Quote:
So what is the difference between a New Age Wackadoodle, and a conservative fact driven explorer of spirituality?  The answer, my friends is that of belief systems.  The fact driven explorer wants everything proven, referenced and verifable.  This is his/her belief system.  If it is not supported by documentation and hard evidence, it is imaginary.  For the New Age explorer, it is not the written documentation that is sought in exploring spirituality - it is the direct experience itself!  It is the direct contact with the divine, the direct exploration that provides verification and spiritual growth.  Is it possible, that the New Ager will be more prone to error and daydreaming?  Of course - but the open mindedness is bound to let thought develop into reality (as it is want to do).  

Daydreaming is part of the imagination method that Bruce teaches both to make contact with the deceased and to explore.  The trick is to start off with an open mind, and allow things to unfold without forcing the process of imagination beyond a certain point.  Then, when verifiable facts come out of the experience, it is clear that the ability to open one's mind and heart to imagination was not mere fakery, but an essential part of the mystical experience.

So then a little question, that comes to my mind from time to time, is the direct experience really more valuable than facts? One could argue that the approach, driven by experience, could be self betrayal, because there are much things that one can imagine and hold on to, even if they are simply not true. It lacks objectivity. It lacks a certain principle, that appeals to everyone, a law, that everyone is involved with.
It seems more of a dream, that is that easy to shift from here to there and back, and mostly bringing back with you, that what you asked for before going on a journey.
Therefore it is so easy to refuse.
Only because I believe, that means not that it really is like that. And that is the general problem, to verify, if that, we are searching for, really exists, or if it is just to comfort our fears. Even if it sounds morbid, some day everyone will get the correct answers to the big question of if there is an afterlife or not. Here we can only assume, from what we learned or experienced (what is for sure imperfect, to fully understand  our/the universes' origin and where we/it will "go".
Another issues are the impressions one gets from the place he seems to go after passing out. NDE e.g., there is one thing that is the same in every of these experiences, the tunnel and the light, but the visions of heaven, or how it looks are that far away from being the same, that one could really argue, if it is just imaginary, I assume that "heaven" must be the same for everyone, just like it is on earth, we share the same planet, it is not a mix of different realities crashing together. There might be differences in thinking, but it is the same place.
There is obviously also much emotion involved, always (in the eye of what we learned about what serious evidence is) leaves room for suspicion.
Might be that the feeling when entering the afterlife via oob/nde/ap is the same, but to the travelers disadvantage, feelings are not measurable, or listed, only the words that try to express what the traveler has experienced, but this is also arguable.

That is at least a few of the doubts I have concerning what you said, no offense to be taken, only the doubts of one, who has never reached what you already did (have to add that I received Voyage Beyond Doubt and Voyages Into The Unknown today, it may help to get rid of ONLY thinking after facts).

Yours sincerely,

pulsar

it is determined.

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 12:10pm

Hi Pulsar,

The intent of those who consider themselves New Age, is to attempt to verify experiences and not delude themselves with daydreams.  However, the approach to mysticism through meditation and an open mind, to use the imagination (guided thought) to get things going is often how things begin.  What happens after a certain point is that the mystical experience takes on a life of its own, and the person in meditation then tries to see if after starting the process they can explore and then verify that some real information was obtained.

So my point was not that "everyone is right," no matter if they are daydreaming or getting an independent communication.  This is the mistake that rigid critics of New Age thought make frequently.  They end up saying that if a New Ager has a bad pizza and a nightmare, to them it will have been a true mystical experience (etc.). 

The ideal then is to approach spiritual investigation with an open heart and mind.  Many have employed Bruce Moen's imagination method to "get things going," as thought is independent from physical reality, and can truly manifest in both the spiritual and the common physical plane.  But imagination is not meant to supersede the real communication that it attracts.  You may then ask "how do we know where imagination ends and where real communication begins?"  A good question.  This one is difficult to answer.  Some people here will tell you they "just know."  Some, like those who have NDEs (such as Howard Storm) are absolutely convinced that they are in the presence of the divine.

The best way to document the "truth," behind mystical experience seems to be to try to obtain some objective verification (names/events/items, etc.) that accompanies the direct experience.  Documentation itself, while inspiring, does not elicit the same spiritual reaction as being part of the communication, first hand.

Matthew

IP Logged

hawkeye

canada
Reply #4 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 12:28pm

There will alwas be people  that come to boards like this one because of the desperate need to have their egos pumped up and their need to control other souls. Some closed minded people who can not except realities other than there own religious fundamentalism will revert to the name calling and demand that only their beliefs are correct. Some of these people are even start their own churchs or cults and can be some of the most dangerous people on the planet. For example Jim Jones. The message was all about God but the end result was all about his ego and the necessity to die for him and his twisted beliefs. There easier to spot if you look closely... They start their own churchs, have very fundamentalist beliefs...say that they can heal a lot of times...only their way of believing is the right way...everyone else is wrong, stupid or inferior to them and what they belief in. Etc etc. Their beliefs will bring You closer to God. Sound like someone you know here? Well guess what, he's/she's most likely here and you might want to consider keeping your kids locked up. Was most likely kicked out of his/her church for inappropriate behavior but has never seen himself/herself as wrong. Most likely was a bully growing up. Probably has a church or prayer group. or both, going on right now. I will bet can't see these thing as even being related to him/her. Dangerous, dangerous, dangerous. I've seen one here and he knows that I know just what he's all about. He's collecting souls for his belief system territory so that he won't be alone. I hope he enjoys his own hell someday without trapping to many. I will be there to help get them out and to move on.
PS: I like my life in the Ghetto. A lot of really nice people live/visit here.  
Joe        

IP Logged

juditha
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 12:37pm

Hi matthew I think that this new age label should not be, as you and i and all on here have our own ideas annd thoughts about everything from God to the afterlife,we are all the same inside as we are all spirit,and when i am on here i feel great because of the love we all share and it helps me face the crapped up world out there.

I want to see my life through to the end but knowing that i can go to the spirit world one day and i wont be living in some crapped up hellhole anymore is the highlight of my life,you are one of the most honest souls on here matthew as we all are and there is so much feeling in what you write on here,what i mean by this new age label should not be,because we should not have to be labelled because we have our own thoughts.

Love to you matthew and all on here God bless    Love juditha

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #6 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 12:40pm

I have mixed feelings about this.  I'm with Don in that I don't like it when sources of information, wherever they come from, deny the life of Jesus and his crucifixion. Some of them are intentionally deceptive, some are irresponsible.

On the other hand, I believe there are a lot good hearted, well meaning people who visit this board. I'm certain that God, Christ, the divine powers that be, love them very much.  I don't believe you get people to change their ways by being judgmental towards them. If you seriously want to help somebody, the way to begin is to love them as much as you can. Once you do this, you'll see how wonderful they are, even if they don't share your viewpoints, and you won't feel the need to demonize them.  If satan does in fact exist (???),  when we demonize others because we're afraid they're being influenced by him and his supposed demons, we accomplish what he has in mind, rather than what God and Christ have in mind. They want us to love everybody. Jesus was pretty big on telling people to not throw stones.

Whatever spiritual truth is all about, in the end, as long as we live according to love, each of us will find what divine truth is in our own time.  Certainly the amount of love we have in our hearts is more important than what we believe.  Fear and a judgmental attitude prevent us from living according to love.  Whatever dark spirits exist, they can't harm us if we choose to live according to love and goodness.

P.S. to Don. I love your Biblical knowledge and devotion to God and Christ, so I hope you stay around. Smiley

Albert (not Don Dave Wink)

IP Logged

Steve_Ed
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 1:50pm

Hehe, this thread has reached 6 replies and 66 views, but I just felt like saying that just for fun.   Wink

Anyway, I sort of experienced the opposite that "Recoverer" mentioned about Jesus, in that my former branch of Christianity accepted Jesus and constantly hammered on about the eternal suffering and pain for those who reject the offer of eternal life from Jesus;  "But, he loves you!!" Shocked  Ironically, their methods did more discrediting for me than good for what they were teaching but I am finished ranting about them and hope for them to experience a true taste of love.  Check out Westboro Baptist Church if you want to see this zero tolerance taken to hilarity.

As for my ties with Jesus Christ, I will seek to meet him, or just let him meet me without any presumption about his existence.  In other words, I shall just assume that all exists.

Yours Truly,
Steve Edward

IP Logged

blink
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 2:01pm

It is possible that critics simply cause more solidarity to arise here. No one is trying to "prove" anything by putting their experiences on the forum. They are simply reporting their experiences, and that is perfectly appropriate.

The experience is the message, to my point of view, and everyone here has the same right and opportunity to report whatever they choose.

Therefore, I am unconcerned about such criticism. Some critics choose to berate and shame people, not only in vague and derogatory language, but also with harsh words toward individuals. This is nothing new, unique, or really very interesting at all.

We can find this sort of thing everywhere if we allow it to divert our attention from our own paths. Not that it is wrong to be diverted. But it is our choice whether to allow our own selves to be diverted in such a manner.

I am interested in what makes people happy. For me, it is this present moment, inclusive of all that it contains.

Therefore, I love critics, when they complain, and when they don't. They are really reaching for the sublime in their own way. I suppose we can applaud their honesty; however, from my own personal experience, I know that even when we think we are being honest, that is not always the case.

love, blink Smiley

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #9 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 2:41pm

I believe the below is a good approach. If a person has the ability to make contact spiritually, it is better he or she find out for his or herself, rather than relying what other people tell he or she.

As has probably been made clear on my past posts, I'm a person who couldn't be convinced until I had my own experiences.  It isn't about meeting a dictator like being. In fact, during a period of time where my posts were a bit on the judgmental side (I still haven't completely lost that part of myself), I received the message one night, "You make us sound like a bunch of dictators." Certainly if Christ is a key part of divine reality, in the spirit of love, he would be so in a very joyful way, not a repressive way. I still consider it possible that when Bruce Moen met the planning intelligence, he met what some people would refer to as Christ. Certainly the intelligence he met wasn't some dictator like being.

Quote:
As for my ties with Jesus Christ, I will seek to meet him, or just let him meet me without any presumption about his existence.  In other words, I shall just assume that all exists.

Yours Truly,
Steve Edward

« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2007 at 7:50pm by recoverer »  

IP Logged

dave_a_mbs

central california
Reply #10 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 3:44pm

Hi Matthew-
I tend to tke the "everybody is right" attitude, but I also realize that the realm within which they are right might be limited.  Still, when I get a lot of roughly similar reports from serious literature (not the popular kind that is about "he said that she said" or the parrotting of cliches ) by serious authors, such as Swedenborg and Tibetan writings, and the comparisons with the Judeo-Christian Bible, and the mystical writings of the Sufis, then I tend to view that as a moderately good guide toward truth.

My approach is to try to describe things in terms of math, lambda calculus, quantum effects, thermodynamics and so on. I can generally describe the surrounding limits within which reality must lie (for example, as I was telling someone else recently,  reality is surrounded by emptiness and exists between the "ultimate beginning" and the "ultimate end") but this is little better than the more popular mythic expressions of all major religious groups.  So I doubtless qualify for at least one Quack by virtue of saying this. My history started with agnosia, and then Christian beliefs which eventualy led me to Hindu philosophy and then Buddhism  - not in violation of any of the prior tenets, but rather as a mens of refining them. I tend to find some truth in all of these, but nobody seems to have a monopoly on it yet.

I do get the impression that we can make a fair estimation of what is true and not by paying attention to those aspects of belief that are self-supporting, and by eliminating those that are clearly self-negating - and then maybe taking the rest with a grain of salt. In this respect I feel that participating on the Forum here has been valuable - even when it's dealing with a more negative focus - and that through it I personally have grown. That may have nothing to do with ultimate truth, but it seems to work for me.  Cheesy
dave

life is too short to drink sour wine
IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 4:00pm

Doc-

To me, the new age material is like the internet.....it is a huge stew of solid information mixed in with all kinds of crackpots.

The key is in discernment, separating the wheat from the chaff.  Therein lies the rub.

For example, let's take Nanner's story about the death of her friend and the apparent manipulation of her computer after her friend died.

Can things like this actually happen?  If we say yes, then I'd like to pose this question-  hundreds of millions of people own computers.  Therefore, if what nanner said can actually happen, it stands to reason that it shouldn't be unique or rare.  It should happen at least frequently enough that we could find many cases similar to it in the literature.

So, the question is, why are cases like that so extremely rare?

I propose a little experiment.....suppose all of us, when we go to bed tonight, leave our computer on with a word processing program open, with a blank screen and the cursor blinking.

Since all of us either have a friend or loved one who is deceased, wouldn't it stand to reason that at least a few of us would wake up in the morning and find a message on the screen?

My own feeling is that none of us would.  The real question is, why?

R

IP Logged

juditha
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 4:13pm

Hi rondele I think thats a good idea and i am going to try that tonight and if anything is on my computer in the morning ,i will put it on here as i beleive that can happen.

Love and God bless      love juditha

IP Logged

blink
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 4:16pm

rondele wrote on Aug 31st, 2007 at 4:00pm:
Doc-

......For example, let's take Nanner's story about the death of her friend and the apparent manipulation of her computer after her friend died.

Can things like this actually happen?  If we say yes, then I'd like to pose this question-  hundreds of millions of people own computers.  Therefore, if what nanner said can actually happen, it stands to reason that it shouldn't be unique or rare.  It should happen at least frequently enough that we could find many cases similar to it in the literature.

So, the question is, why are cases like that so extremely rare?

I propose a little experiment.....suppose all of us, when we go to bed tonight, leave our computer on with a word processing program open, with a blank screen and the cursor blinking.

Since all of us either have a friend or loved one who is deceased, wouldn't it stand to reason that at least a few of us would wake up in the morning and find a message on the screen?

My own feeling is that none of us would.  The real question is, why?

R

First of all, you are making assumptions about someone's experience, Rondele. You assume that if such a visitation occurred through the use of a computer, that it shouldn't be rare. What makes you think it shouldn't be rare? What makes you think that it should be common?

You are operating on an assumption.

Yes, it would be interesting if every single one of us focused on one night, and all left our computers on. Let's do it. Who wants to sign up?

Perhaps there is an element of group "ownership" of this problem that must be addressed. Should we all meditate first? What would be the process? Let's talk about it.

love, blink Smiley

IP Logged

blink
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 4:51pm

Sincerely.....I mean it. Would we pose a question to "the universe" or how would we accomplish such a thing?

Are we still afraid to succeed? Would that affect the outcome?

How would we feel, collectively and individually, if we were successful, together, and attracted a great deal of outside attention because of it?

Would we be ready for it? Would we be able to handle it? Would we inspire others?

Or would critics find a way to destroy what we achieved honestly, by discrediting it somehow?

I believe in the power of the group, and the availability of spirit to communicate to each of us individually, and collectively. What is this group willing to do to achieve its aims? Do we have a common aim?

love, blink Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.