Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Mother Teresa and a Crisis of Faith (Read 12331 times)
DocM

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Mother Teresa and a Crisis of Faith
Aug 24th, 2007 at 9:25am

I found this article from Time magazine deeply moving:

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1655415,00.html

In it, is described how Mother Teresa, who ministered to the poorest of the poor, and epitomized charity and love for one's fellow human being, had, for many decades a  "dark night of the soul," as it were - feeling a disconnect from God and Heaven, even coming to doubt the existence.  I was a bit appalled that her private confessions were kept and released against her wishes - it seems that common respect would have kept the confessions in confidence. 

However, I am interested in the opinions of others on this story.  Many spiritual christians on this website believe that the two most important practices in life are love of God and love of one's fellow human beings.  Mother Teresa epitomized both, at least as far as one could see, however, she did not, apparently feel the connectedness that went along with her good works - for many, many years.

Matthew

IP Logged

betson

SE USA
Re: Mother Teresa and a Crisis of Faith
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2007 at 10:09am

Greetings,

I find that a connection to the spiritual can be felt as a physical force. Force isn't a good word, more like receiving a beam of love, at least that's how it seems to me. But in my experience the feeling isn't always available, due to distractions, being too tired, etc.

Mother Teresa must have felt it more strongly and much more of the time, until she got just too exhausted. Her body too is 'a temple' and she was letting the temple get rundown. Then she attributed the loss of the sensation of connection to a loss of God Himself, rather than to her own exhausted ability to receive God's love. She mistakenly thought it/God was gone or that she'd previously deluded herself.
Her test was that even while she was exhausted by the work and her inability to feel the connection, she still had enough faith in it that she continued her service, her selflessness.
(I'm trying to use terms compatible with her faith.)
Later she realized it was her error as a broken receptor and not God's withdrawal or non-existence, so she asked that her mistaken doubt not be revealed.
She is certainly not diminished in my eyes!

(I seem to recall that her note regarding this was previously published in a biography; that's how I happen to have already thought about it.)

Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

pulsar

Europe
Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2007 at 10:25am

Hey DocM,

it is for sure astonishing to read about such experiences as felt as a disconnection between God and a saint like Mother Teresa.
But doubts are even a part of believing, even believers ask themselves if that what they are doing is wether right or wrong.
Maybe it was kind of asking herself, if it was enough she has done to gather gods love, it really sounds like she was on a journey to the ultimate truth about God and life itself, and if there are no proper answers (it is comparable to the doubts that also appear on this board about god, the afterlife and their existence), it is outsourcing, so to say, a "dark night of the soul". For me it is not that god was absent, just her doubts have overgrown the feeling of being part of him.

If believing had been nonsense for her, she would have quittet the service she was doing and searched for something else. But it seems that it was a serious issue for her, being with god (if it was the other way around she would not have helped in his name.
Referring to the sentence "I want you to pray for me", it is best expressed, she seemed to think of herself not being able to connect with god, maybe we could talk of lacking guidance, maybe she desired more of it, and by being unfulfilled, it felt like being an empty shell, that is forsaken, kind of a lacking affirmation (for her) of the divine one.

But doubts and believe go hand in hand, doubts are there to make you search for your true, innermost deeply beliefs, and to find out, what they are, what does not mean, that the ansers reveal just the very moment you search for them, like it was for her, they were fellows for decades!
So feeling to have lost the touch, means not actually that god let her down.
Maybe it is more difficult for people like her to find pleasing arguments and answers, could be really like she searched for a deeper relationship, than that she towards god, and so for her it felt like falling apart from him. She thought she was incapable, I think she was not forsaken, just sort of broken.

Stupid as it sounds, life is full of ups and downs, for some the downs last much longer.

Love,

pulsar

it is determined.

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 24th, 2007 at 12:27pm

At risk of flying in the face of the received view and not knowing anything about Mother T's inner life it's possible to theorise as to why she might have felt herself in that situation.

Quite apart from sainthood or whatever she seems to have been an incredibly driven person holding orthodox Catholic beliefs.

To pick up on your points - the feeling of connection with God is as B says an intuitive one which can be blocked by stress - although my sense is that it's maybe mental intensity rather than illness per se that does the harm. When the mind is churning ninety to the dozen the resulting 'noise' shuts blocks subtler knowing.

Catholicism emphasises blind faith based on belief rather than faith based on personal experience and insight. The vibe is heavily blame oriented too. Meaning that the guilt that might follow strenuous efforts to believe which failed to deliver a feeling of connection to God might further depress the mood and add to mental noise, contributing further to a feeling of being cut off from God.

Another factor might have been the nature of her spiritual practice. For the above reason Catholicism has not tended to emphasise the inner life, meaning that she may or may not have had access to the self knowledge tools a more Gnostic tradition might have provided.

I guess it's perfectly possible for her to have been driven to serve and to live a highly devout life, and yet to have struggled to feel a live connection to God...

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #4 - Aug 24th, 2007 at 12:32pm

Perhaps she was more of a believer and service Soul, rather than a mystic.  Unless our beliefs are backed by mystical experience, they are liable to be challenged.

It could also be that early on in her life she was inspired to help, but later on it became more of a duty, partly to maintain her reputation.

It could be that things became a bit ritualistic. I don't remember the exact details, but I remember reading once that her sisters would get up early every morning so they could pray for four hours. I've found this isn't a positive approach to spirituality. It is better to pray/meditate according to need and inspiration, not according to an enforced schedule. Eventually things can become dry. When a meditation session doesn't feel productive, I stop.

She also exposed herself to the energy of a lot of sad and sick people. This is liable to take its toll after a while. An improper diet, possibly due to the places she lived, also could of had an effect.

I receive lots of energetic work from the spirit of Christ. This certainly helps me. I wonder if she opened herself up to such help.

There is also the factor of whether or not she included in her spirituality, the practice of letting go of though patterns that effected her in a non-positive way. For example, if she had some traumatic issues from her childhood (I have no way of knowing about this), and she didn't clear them up, they might've festered within her energetic system. I've found that when it comes to becoming spiritually clear, Christ can't do his part, if I don't do my part.

IP Logged

juditha
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 24th, 2007 at 4:00pm

Hi matthew and all  I think Mother Teresa was a beautiful soul as she showed throughout all of her life that she was human in evry aspect of being troubled by her faith and feeling abandonded by God as so many of us have felt at certain times in our life but she just kept opening her heart through all of these doubts and fears to the sick and dieing and povertry stricken with the love of God which was radiating from her soul and from her heart.

God walked beside her through all of this,even though she felt the darkness and we all have felt that but through that darkness God is giving the light to overshadow the darkness from our souls to light our way to  the love we give out to others in this world,they say that angels walk among us and i think that Mother Teresa was an angel sent from heaven.

Love and God bless        love juditha

IP Logged

the_seeker

Reply #6 - Aug 25th, 2007 at 2:26am

hate to possibly burst the bubble, but i don't think mother theresa was the saintly person she portrayed herself as.  more like a scamming sadist.  here's a video on the kind of conditions she actually put people in:  http://youtube.com/watch?v=8q1m-8npkJ4 (contains profanity)

also gandhi did great things, but was a racist - http://youtube.com/watch?v=j-QK35hYIWo&mode=related&search= (also profanity)

IP Logged

pulsar

Europe
Reply #7 - Aug 25th, 2007 at 6:53am

Hey there,

you surely heard about (catholic) groups practicing self-chastisement, in order to feel the pain e.g. Jesus must have felt during trial (passed by Pilate, after he was found quilty for being a blasphemer by Kaiphas) and the cruzifiction. Seems like it is some kind of "meditation" to feel closer to god, it is also sort of a self-punishment for sinning.

That's a tough one, seeker, so it seems to be really a bubble..

Could be that she thought of this suffering to be her personal burden, in order to get nearer to god (there is not much said about this in the article or the videos), so one could make the assumption that she also wanted to pass her burden on the ones she helped (could be that she blamed them for this).
As she suffered from a "mental issue", I might be why she began to treat her "patients" like she did, it is not new knowledge that mental suffering can twist someones head, and make him turn away from "reality", in order to live in the world, he/she assumes to be his/her reality.
But again concerning why she should have went on with work in the name of god?
In the end, it is possible that the downphase in her life was kind of burden given by god, so suffering in order to rely on him, no matter what is between them, so she might have thought her "patients" must go through the same issue.

Please do not mistake this as an apology for such kind of behaviour, since it is wrong to make people suffer, even for Mother Teresa, since they depended on her help.
This place for the dying was not a place for last goodbyes, it was more of a pre-hell... .

Love,

pulsar

« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2007 at 5:36pm by pulsar »  

it is determined.

IP Logged

LaffingRain

Choose this Day

Arizona
Reply #8 - Aug 25th, 2007 at 12:48pm

I think I'm with Bets on this one. Mother Theresa is like a social worker who also happens to have religion. what frequently happens of a natural course in the helping fields, which includes nurses, social workers, counselors, probation officers, etc. is a thing called burn out. when that happens they will either get into another line of work or go into that soul searching, perhaps like a dark night of the soul, as their existence and identity is tied up in what they are doing, and frankly, people in these helping fields will go through phases where it looks like everything you say and do is just not working to help (fill in the blank)

when this happens, I say its natural, because before you can help another, whether it's a spiritual business, or your career in any field, you have to take care of yourself first or the body organism will suffer itself the same, with the defeatist thoughts. and it's true, that if you feel tired you should take a nap. Driven people, inspired people don't take naps, or breaks to reconnect with the source of life, whether that is nature, or their god.

love, alysia

... Who takes away death's sting deprives life of bitterness
WWW http://www.facebook.com/LaughingRain2  
IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 25th, 2007 at 1:15pm

It's tough to read what the situation was from external observation. In the eastern traditions people regarded as truly realised often demonstrate an ability to handle a prodigious workload with ease. Others get sick. Many demonstrate a quietly but steadily productive lifestyle.

It's probably true though that we often confuse simplistic worldly 'bigger is better, more even more so' perceptions of success with true spirituality. The more realistic perspective of the 'flap of a butterfly's wing in one place through a chain of ever widening  cause and consequence causing a hurricane somewhere else six months later' (my own approximation of the well known saying) is probably normally more like the truth.

Except perhaps when the creation of a clear figurehead is needed to inspire people to respond to a new message or whatever.

Meaning that a truly realised person may either through insight or guidance (both - the same?) by very subtle intervention in the flow of events have a major effect on the development of world conciousness or events. Or may become a historical figure. But the latter isn't necessary.

Jesus for example probably only taught for a few years......

IP Logged

pulsar

Europe
Reply #10 - Aug 25th, 2007 at 3:02pm

Hey there,

have to agree on the "burn out" point, made by Alysia. There has to be rest, or else it will turn out negative.
But it is maybe too much in our heads, that we have to be on the standby-mode, so that we are available if someone pushs the button.
But it really happens to be, like it was said before, that if you really found a task you like to fulfill and your on it with your heart and soul, you mostly ignore the signs, if they are made by the body or the mind, in order not to let down the ones that depend on your work. It's really like "check yourself before you wreck yourself"?!

So who helps the helpers?

Love,

pulsar

it is determined.

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 25th, 2007 at 5:04pm

There's a view P that compassion to others first requires compassion towards yourself. While it's often couched in high flown rhetoric you could argue that  undisciplined and unsustainable over commitment to work is an indicator of being driven by conditioning or an egotistical need to be 'something' rather than the heart or something higher...

IP Logged

pulsar

Europe
Reply #12 - Aug 25th, 2007 at 5:24pm

Hey there,

varja, that is what exactly what begins to fade away, real compassion.
But sad to say that, what we get taught regularly, over-self-confidence, craving to be, you called it "something" (someone), that we can rely on.
Is this something out of that what the majority claims to be right, you would be immediately nothing, how stupid... .
This conditioning thing is what we shall get used to, routine, to function like a machine (that is what I consider the issue that has brought her to the "dark night of the soul", I mean, you can give a certain amount of love, if you do something by heart, but there must be time to refresh, to regain energy, that you can go on to pass love) , so this turns into a race, who is no.1? I am pretty sure it could also work if we would see it like everyone gives his/her contribution to the world, in how far he/she is capable of, without making it a competition.
There is too much focus on success and money (even if we need it here, in a certain amount to have a living), everyone is only a number in a big pile of registration formulas, we could make it also work if there was more "feelings" involved, an interest in which persons around one works with, in my pov it would state a positive "climate".
Human became too much of a god, so we lost that ouf of the mind.

I would go that far to say, egotistical behaviour indicates lack of self-compassion, and the need to be the best in order to show that you have "balls". It is a way to overcome hating oneself, but not the right one.
But driven by the idea always to win, you would immediately make others hate you.

Maybe our heart is wiser than our mind.

Love,

pulsar

it is determined.

IP Logged

betson

SE USA
Reply #13 - Aug 26th, 2007 at 10:41am

You are all being very insightful

and I'm glad to be learning alot from you,
but just want to add a bit to what vajra said:

"Except perhaps when the creation of a clear figurehead is needed
          to inspire people to respond to a new message or whatever."

Two resulting thoughts come to mind from what you say, vajra.
Before MT,  many or most of these poor souls were not helped; she did;
maybe our standards or expectations of ourselves and others are
too high, maybe one does not have to be perfect to do alot of good.

Bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

vajra
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Aug 26th, 2007 at 11:17am

I guess the magical thing about the way this total reality works B is that everything is arguably exactly what it needs to be for the ultimate good of all.

Just theorising, but you could argue that among the many many dimensions that determine that total picture:

Mother T maybe wasn't (despite the Church hopping on the bandwagon and her ending up a media celebrity and probably a saint) realised, but on the other hand she probably learned (or was exposed to) exactly the lessons she needed to truly care more about herself.

The church in the meantime was helped (and it's probably important that there's a simple stable system of conventional belief around for those needing rules), but on the other hand maybe reminded of the need to stick with the basics.

She in the meantime did good work for some created additional awareness of the situation of the poor in an uncaring world. Many of the poor have their own lessons to learn out of being poor, but compassion is really important in the mix because it lessens the likelihood that having escaped that their response will be to put down others out of fear of its happening again....

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.