Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
meditation question (Read 2502 times)
Aras

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Seattle
meditation question
Mar 6th, 2007 at 2:43pm

My question is: out of these three practices below, has anyone used them and what would you recommend if any?

Scientific research has shown that the most beneficial meditation is Maharishi's Transcendental Meditation® (TM®). Cost $2500.00

In 1995 Dr. Deepak Chopra created the Primordial Sound® meditation, that is similar to Maharishi's TM.  Chopra's technique costs $325.00

In 2003 a former TM teacher, Raymond Harrison, created the inexpensive Natural Stress Relief© home-course, costs $25.00   

The Natural Stress Relief technique (NSR) is based on a single basic syllable or "mantra", that is suitable for anybody.  (By the way, the original TM, that was taught from 1958 to 1968, was also based on a single mantra:)

How effective is the Natural Stress Relief technique?
Several testimonials show that NSR is very effective and beneficial: practitioners report a remarkable reduction of stress and anxiety.
  Reduction of anxiety shown by a sharp increase in skin resistance (NSR - Istituto Scientia 2005) 
Some scientific research suggests that NSR may be as effective as Maharishi's TM (of course, research on NSR is still very small if compared to that on TM: consider that NSR was created on 2003).

any info you have will be greatly appreciated
Aras =)

IP Logged

recoverer

Re: meditation question
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 5:44pm

Aras:

I have lots of experience with meditation, and I've found that finding a technique that causes thought to come to come to an end isn't the way to go. Each and every one of is already the divine soul we want to be. The awareness part of our existence cannot become an object of perception. The key is to find the concepts/emotional issues/and psychological issues that limit us, and do what we can to get rid of them.

This is a hard thing to do at times, because of misunderstandings we have. These misunderstandings cause us to believe that we need to hold onto thought patterns that aren't based on what is true.

As opposed to trying to bring your thought processes to a halt, find something to meditate on that interests you, and your attention will automatically be directed that way. We have a hard time paying attention when we aren't interested on what we're trying to focus on. There are different things you can focus on. Perhaps you can try to get a better feel for the spirit being you are. Perhaps you can notice how your body is an object of perception, not that which you are. Perhaps you can try to experience love, happiness or peace more than you have before. Perhaps you can examine a psychological issue that troubles you, from the perspective of love, peace, natural fullness, or a deeper sense of who you are.

A thoughtless state acheived during meditation won't cause the limiting ideas that prevent you from experiencing love, happiness, and peace during your daily life to go away. A thoughtless state of mind usually isn't the same thing as experiencing your true self.

A person can spend years practicing a technique such as transcedental meditation, without ever getting around to finding out what prevents he or she from effortlessly abiding as his or her true self.

How much good does it do a person to go on a two week vacation, if he or she has to spend the other 50 weeks of the year working a job he or she can't stand?

IP Logged

augoeideian

South Africa
Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2007 at 11:23am

Ahhh, life is very hard on our spirits - and finding our true selves is a challenge in this world fill of woe and trouble especially working in a demanding job without any vacation!  Oupensky wrote about fate and destiny - do we fall into fate or do we awaken to our destiny (he asks).  Thinking about this for a while now I've come to an (almost) conclusion our fate is our destiny or we arrive at our destiny through fate.  Reasoning - every lesson we learn in life comes about through fate because we need to learn that lesson at the time.  Our destiny is the fruit of our lessons learnt through fate.
And maybe we will only find our true selves in heaven.

Nice post on meditation Recoverer.

&&

IP Logged

blink
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2007 at 1:53pm

Aras,

I don't believe there is a right or wrong way to meditate. Try what draws you to it. Try something else at a different time. Don't limit yourself to one practice in life.

That's my advice.

There are lots of ways to learn to see clearly.  One meditation is to simply periodically remind yourself of the "background" of the universal support and your higher self which is always there with you.

Meditation can be purposeful with specific intentions.  Or used to change thought patterns.  Or used to quiet thoughts. Or used to experience beauty and serenity.

I know I have not answered your question.  I have used a mantra before, a spoken mantra, and it did serve a useful purpose for me. Any practice which is done regularly will serve to create a regular, reassuring pattern in your life, and is healthful.

I simply caution you not to become fixated on a particular practice or its associated belief system.

love, blink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.