Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Morals make us weak !? (Read 8087 times)
betson

Afterlife Knowledge Member

SE USA
Morals make us weak !?
Mar 28th, 2006 at 4:27pm

OnRyanParis' thread on family,  Bud S. states:

"...As for real violence, the notion that growing consciousness takes us away from our natural tendency toward violence is a given.  That's why we have so many weak victims able to raise more weak children all the while building morals that protect them...."

That's an interesting theory, and I've been thinking on it,  but I cannot see it happening, Bud. I mean now, in my high crime community.  I can only see that those who are not taught morals, or who rebel against moral teachings,  batter, then get battered, and soon get shot. (They do get to the afterlife first--just an attempt to keep this on a relevant topic .)
I've seen it happen repeatedly in youth programs that I've worked in. Where do you get your point of view?
bets

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Shakespeare

IP Logged

Bud_S
Ex Member

Re: Morals make us weak !?
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 5:06pm

Quote:
OnRyanParis' thread on family,  Bud S. states:

"...As for real violence, the notion that growing consciousness takes us away from our natural tendency toward violence is a given.  That's why we have so many weak victims able to raise more weak children all the while building morals that protect them...."

That's an interesting theory, and I've been thinking on it,  but I cannot see it happening, Bud. I mean now, in my high crime community.  I can only see that those who are not taught morals, or who rebel against moral teachings,  batter, then get battered, and soon get shot. (They do get to the afterlife first--just an attempt to keep this on a relevant topic .)
I've seen it happen repeatedly in youth programs that I've worked in. Where do you get your point of view?
bets

gee, I'm not sure this deserves its own thread.  but I'll answer your question.

I respect your personal experience, and I think we actually agree on this.  You mention the cycle of violence, and that's easy to find in such communities.  What I'm trying to take into account is the criminal tendency to pick weaker people to prey on.  Weaker physically, but also weaker in the sense of naive.

My point was that morals ensure physically weak individuals are not prematurely eliminated from our midst and also make them a little naive.  Children raised with morals observe the golden rule.  That's great, and the direction we need to go - obviously.  But if you placed a person with high morals in the same room with a person with no morals, the immoral one will take advantage of the moral one.  If you carry it to the extreme, you get generations and generations of highly moral individuals who know nothing of violence, deceit, or evil, right?  They take care of each other and make up for each others weaknesses.  It all works great until an immoral person walks into the group and rapes, pilages and burns the whole thing down - with ease.  Hence, my statement that it takes less and less physical threat to overcome highly moral (weak) individuals.  I'm not sure where the balance is, if there even is one for our species this go round.  Part of our nature ensures a certain percentage of nasty people will be around to take advantage of peaceful ones.  Part of me wants to believe we can change the nature of humans, but another part really believes this species is what it is, and we'd have to start over with a new genetic program altogether.   I look forward to your comments on this and how it may affect our afterlife pursuits and repeated return through reincarnation or other feedback means. 
bud

IP Logged

egdio7

Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 2:02am

The examples of people with morals being weak, are a little selective.  There are examples of highly moral people with a few skills and knowledge to handle the non moral people.  John Wayne, Gary Copper, some people in martial arts, samurai warriors, and don't forget Archangel Michael who grabbed satan by the tongue and threw him in hell.  People with morals can have strength.

IP Logged

B-dawg

Missoula, Montana
Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 2:09am

gee, I'm not sure this deserves its own thread.  but I'll answer your question.

I respect your personal experience, and I think we actually agree on this.  You mention the cycle of violence, and that's easy to find in such communities.  What I'm trying to take into account is the criminal tendency to pick weaker people to prey on.  Weaker physically, but also weaker in the sense of naive.

My point was that morals ensure physically weak individuals are not prematurely eliminated from our midst and also make them a little naive.  Children raised with morals observe the golden rule.  That's great, and the direction we need to go - obviously.  But if you placed a person with high morals in the same room with a person with no morals, the immoral one will take advantage of the moral one.  If you carry it to the extreme, you get generations and generations of highly moral individuals who know nothing of violence, deceit, or evil, right?  They take care of each other and make up for each others weaknesses.  It all works great until an immoral person walks into the group and rapes, pilages and burns the whole thing down - with ease.  Hence, my statement that it takes less and less physical threat to overcome highly moral (weak) individuals.  I'm not sure where the balance is, if there even is one for our species this go round.  Part of our nature ensures a certain percentage of nasty people will be around to take advantage of peaceful ones.  Part of me wants to believe we can change the nature of humans, but another part really believes this species is what it is, and we'd have to start over with a new genetic program altogether.   I look forward to your comments on this and how it may affect our afterlife pursuits and repeated return through reincarnation or other feedback means. 
bud
Of course, the question arises: How do you define
"moral"?
I'd say it is moral to take a physically weaker/smaller person and instruct them in martial arts, or the use of weapons. (Or in the case of non-physical oppression such as theft, swindling and so on - how to spot a scammer, con artist, thief, ect.) On the other hand, I would say that cultivating naivete in such individuals is profoundly IMMORAL behavior, serving only to create more "rabbits" for society's "coyotes" to prey upon. (Unfortunately, cultivation of such naivete seems to be what most people consider "moral instruction" these days.)
The MORAL solution then? Take "rabbits", and teach them how to be PORCUPINES. (Predators tend to avoid accosting individuals who can strike back, or are too savvy to be conned easily.) The "coyotes" will have slimmer pickings that way... and maybe fewer will decide to prey on their fellow men.

B-man

IP Logged

dave_a_mbs

central california
Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 3:16am

I'm with you, B-man.

The crime capital of the USA is Washington DC, with more all purpose criminality per capita than about anywhere else. That is also the center of national power, the place where we decide to invade tiny nations, where we make the plans to put sick people in prison for use of medical marijuana, and where we design prisons in foreign lands where we can torture prisoners.  Crime and power do seem to go together.

On the other hand, Social Darwinism proposed that dog-eat-dog made the best society. Thus we learned that "What's good for GM is good for the Nation,"  and the Trusts ripped off everyone by establishing monopolies that favored nobody but the rich investors.  We still have some of that. Try to find software that doesn't require the monopolistic use of Windows. (I run Linux, but there's not a lot of support.)

Perhaps, for the individual, the idea of no restraints is useful. For the collective society, social limitations that respect innate morality seem to make more sense. (But I think I'll go out and buy a new gun anyway.)

dave

life is too short to drink sour wine
IP Logged

blink
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 10:51am

Having morals simply helps us to define who we are.  We can always question our morals...and should.  As we live and learn our values do change.  People say that certain values are timeless, and that is true.  But we live in time, and we are often faced with perplexing circumstances which we don't fully understand. 

We can have what we consider very "upright" morals and still not live by them all the time because we are human. 

However, if we can awaken to each moment we can find the way to live in peace.  It will take all of us, together, to decide that there is a better way to live. 

Have you been abused by your society?  Abused people often abuse others in some way, as we all know.  If we are all victims of human cultures which accept violence as a "way of life" it can seem like a never ending spiral.

Peace is always the answer.  Love is always the answer.  We do not always ask the right questions.

love, blink

IP Logged

Bud_S
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 11:04am

Quote:
Having morals simply helps us to define who we are.  We can always question our morals...and should.  As we live and learn our values do change.  People say that certain values are timeless, and that is true.  But we live in time, and we are often faced with perplexing circumstances which we don't fully understand.  

We can have what we consider very "upright" morals and still not live by them all the time because we are human.  

However, if we can awaken to each moment we can find the way to live in peace.  It will take all of us, together, to decide that there is a better way to live.  

Have you been abused by your society?  Abused people often abuse others in some way, as we all know.  If we are all victims of human cultures which accept violence as a "way of life" it can seem like a never ending spiral.

Peace is always the answer.  Love is always the answer.  We do not always ask the right questions.

love, blink

Well said blink, I can't really disagree with it.  The human problem that concerns me is the bottom say 10% of have-nots.  No matter how much wealth, health, knowledge, experience, spirituality, whatever we all have together, there will always be some who have less of something than others.  Without fail, a certain small percentage of those turn to some sort of criminality to take something from others.  This is the nature of our species, individual soul issues aside.  If they had any morality, it's forgotten when the illusion of civilization falls away.   This small percentage is all it takes to perpetuate the failing of our species to attain peace and progress beyond.  How does one convince those with less and a bent for violence of the wisdom in the words "love is always the answer"?  What is the practical approach?  To the have-nots, they would have you give up what you have, perhaps your home and life, so they can live in peace.  How do we awaken to that moment and find a way?

IP Logged

betson

SE USA
Reply #7 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 11:50am

Bud S--
I had my answer ready to your first question, but in the meantime, blink--and you--have raised the level a few notches.
My personal response to your last question now is that the best way I've seen to help the bottom 10% is my grandmother's way (no big social movement, 'no' governmental involvement)--she fostered kids, after raising her own. I've tried thru community programs and working thru the classroom but that doesn't erase their experience of the bottom and they slip back.

So this does relate to reincarnation after all. If I return and am to have a family I'll add a foster kid to my brood and when they are spreading their wings I'll add a couple more, like Grandma did. ('Coincidentally' just did some genealogy work andfound that fostering is the only way my ancestors made it thru a few generations.)
So thanks for turning this, blink, and thanks for the last sarcasm-free comments, Bud S. I for one just learned an important lesson.

Shakespeare

IP Logged

LaffingRain

Choose this Day

Arizona
Reply #8 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 11:59am

Bud said:  Part of me wants to believe we can change the nature of humans, but another part really believes this species is what it is, and we'd have to start over with a new genetic program altogether.
_____
well, heres some hope for you Bud. the aliens are changing our DNA. however, I don't care about genetic code too much. its just like a road to drive down to me. u say part of you believes we can change the nature of humans and I know this is true from experience. whether here or on the other side as I've had some experience on both sides of the question. on the inner planes I've been doing a listening technique on the criminal mind, and theres a little criminal in all of us, so not trying to plant dire images in your mind. you listen to what they have to say. then they get it all on the outside of them and release it and they choose another road to travel through being accepted as they are, because somebody took the time to listen.
its real simple technique and works like a charm. love, alysia
____

I look forward to your comments on this and how it may affect our afterlife pursuits and repeated return through reincarnation or other feedback means.
_____

in the afterlife pursuits, I don't see those pursuits as any different than our pursuits here.

... Who takes away death's sting deprives life of bitterness
WWW http://www.facebook.com/LaughingRain2  
IP Logged

mattb1000

Reply #9 - Mar 30th, 2006 at 10:42am

Looking at evolution itself, it seems that aggression yields little anymore.

The aim of aggression, in my opinion is to consume or destroy. Well, life mastered that a millennia ago. The Komodo dragon is a modern day example of this aggression. They have mastered how to kill the prey and do so purely from an ego based stand point of consuming it.

A species that relies on aggression and the ego alone seems to evolve very little.

The morals of a person are based on many factors; the most seem to come from the society in which he/she lives. So by looking at a purely physical/observational reality we can see that a group consciousness is clearly involved in the moral choices made by a person. The phrase "group mentality" veers towards this idea. 

Whether there are sensory implicit factors would answer the question of a telepathic consciousness.

Morals can obviously make you weak. A creature that has no morals will kill you with the innocence of its own ego. A person without morals is like an animal, which is not an insult but must logically be pure fact. The main difference is that a person has the benefit of the human mind. A stupid person does not mean an amoral person and an intelligent person does not mean a moral person.

But without morals can you clearly observe a society with the same capacity as a moral person?

You would be trapped within your own ego and therefore just be a predator animal with a human brain.

The Road goes ever on and on&& Down from the door where it began....&&Where many paths and errands meet.&& And whither then? I cannot say.&&&&&&

IP Logged

egdio7

Reply #10 - Mar 31st, 2006 at 3:01am

Back to the original question of does high morals make one weak in the face of an immoral person.  What I think is being over looked here is self respect.  I'm not talking about selfishness or ego.  I'm talking about respect for life.  It would not be moral to stand by and watch someone be abused and do nothing.  It is also immoral to stand by and do nothing to defend oneself.  If you value life you must also value your own.  Don't confuse this with selfishness or ego.  High morals gives people the willingness to protect each other and themselves. 

I think the examples given of weak high moral people are flawed.  They seem to have no self respect.  The other flaw in the argument is it seems you are using a immoral person who is in their prime physically and highly skilled in the world of darkness and putting him up against a moral person who is a young child or older women.  If against a person in their prime who is highly skilled in morals, he or she would command respect and not be a victim.

The opposition to the argument would be taking the highly skilled moral person in their prime and putting them up against a immoral juvenile.  The juvenile would lose and would be directed toward the light.  Would it be fair to then say not having morals is weak?

IP Logged

mattb1000

Reply #11 - Mar 31st, 2006 at 5:25am

Quote:
Back to the original question of does high morals make one weak in the face of an immoral person.  What I think is being over looked here is self respect.  I'm not talking about selfishness or ego.  I'm talking about respect for life.  It would not be moral to stand by and watch someone be abused and do nothing.  It is also immoral to stand by and do nothing to defend oneself.  If you value life you must also value your own.  Don't confuse this with selfishness or ego.  High morals gives people the willingness to protect each other and themselves. 

I think the examples given of weak high moral people are flawed.  They seem to have no self respect.  The other flaw in the argument is it seems you are using a immoral person who is in their prime physically and highly skilled in the world of darkness and putting him up against a moral person who is a young child or older women.  If against a person in their prime who is highly skilled in morals, he or she would command respect and not be a victim.

The opposition to the argument would be taking the highly skilled moral person in their prime and putting them up against a immoral juvenile.  The juvenile would lose and would be directed toward the light.  Would it be fair to then say not having morals is weak?

Morals are not an advantage against any form of aggression.

If two men of equal strength are placed in a room with a loaf of bread and they represent this thread, the immoral person will consume the bread but the moral person would share it.

Morals are one method to build society. Not the only one, but clearly it seems the most effective to date as our race revolves around this paradigm.

Self respect and morals are not related are they?

The Road goes ever on and on&& Down from the door where it began....&&Where many paths and errands meet.&& And whither then? I cannot say.&&&&&&

IP Logged

betson

SE USA
Reply #12 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 11:16am

mattb1000--
Is it that having morals implies having convictions and convictions give a person self-respect, even make them strong?
Woops, having said that I can see that any convictions, even immoral ones, might for that person hlding them, give themselves self-respect.
Ok, try again---morals are usually held a long time without change. Immoral ideas, being untrue to the moral order, change more frequently based on individual experiences. Morals being held longer become convictions and provide strength for those who hold them.--?
bets

Shakespeare

IP Logged

betson

SE USA
Reply #13 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 4:21pm

Lucy,
I took the liberty of copying your post on another thread to put here too. I think it's important.

Lucy says:
"...I think instilling a moral sense in us by organized religion (particularly the Roman Catholic Church, which ruled Europe for centiries) has been a means to make us weak.
Sure turn the other cheek, but give me a knowledge of how to project PUL so strong that I don't get squashed in turning that cheek. But the Church wanted people to be weak. So it instilled morals in them. And it did it  to the benefit of our old equation   
wealth= power and ability to control."

Bruce Moen is the first spiritual leader I've heard who tells how to project PUL thus letting us know it was an important process. Not that it's hard,
it just wasn't ever mentionned before--that is incredible when you think of it, isn't it ?! "Love your neighbor" comes closest to it but that became so abstract when the world shrunk and everyone became your neighbor. Bruce's spiritual processes do more than revive that old rule--they energize it.
bets

Shakespeare

IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Reply #14 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 11:40pm

Yeah I will like it when I can better project PUL to my "enemies" in waking conciousness and get results as well as is done in dreams. I just had the thought about using Intent today (other thread).

Dave's post on another thread talked about "lila" and that reminded me of Pirsig's book "Lila: an Enquiry into Morals" or something like that.  Pirsig made the following comment in a book review he oncw wrote:

"I once taught a college course where I asked the class, "Is the an absolute external morality?" And I was astonished to discover that, without exception, every Catholic student said yes, and every Protestant student said no. There is a profound division here."

(He taught in Montana mostly).
http://www.psybertron.org/stpaulnews.html#Roars

"Lila" is an interesting book but has nothing to do with afterlife.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.