Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just got back from Campus. Venting. (Read 8822 times)
Black_Napkins
Ex Member

Just got back from Campus. Venting.
Mar 1st, 2006 at 5:53pm

So, every week or so there are two people who come to our campus and go to 'Speaker Circle'. In this circle they set up a small stand, with signs, sometimes they have 5-10 more people there to hold signs. These Signs say things like FEAR GOD, TRUST JESUS, REPENT OR BURN. Shit like that.

So, this woman is in this circle with a good lot of students around her. She was basicly calling "Frat" guys, and i quote "Drunken Rapist Pigs" and girls on campus "Whores", saying that if you drink beer you go to hell, stuff like that.

I can't BELIEVE people like this...Using THE BIBLE AND 'GOD' TO GET THEIR OWN AGENDA OFF ON OTHERS....it really makes me angry. Religion was set up for THIS purpose, to push off values and ideals on the masses.

Here are people in a circle, with no tangible proof other than a book, that they have twisted the words around to mean whatever they want it to be. ..They can't think for themselves, and they use certain quotes from a book to get their agenda off..

The bible was based on an even older text, the sumerian tablets. The people who wrote the bible used these tablets, only twisted a few things around.(old not new test)

Sound familar?

sorry i'll stop ranting now...

But do some research on the Tablets, it's truly amazing. I truly believe that most religious documents came from stories on these tablets. I also have another theory that involves an alien race that manipulated the DNA of ape/monkeys for the purpose of us being workers for them to mine for gold on this planet. There are startling evidence for this theory a man named Michael Tellinger has done an excellent job of researching this. But thats for another day. :p

IP Logged

Berserk

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Re: Just got back from Campus. Venting.
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 6:14pm

Black Napkins,

I don't know which is worse: the ignorance of those preachers at your Speaker's Circle, whose message you are likely mischaracterizing, or your own ignorance of biblical origins.  There are admittedly some parallels between biblical tradition and Sumerian-Babylonian tradition, but their source-critical interrelationships are far from clear.  In any case, we are basically talking about a few chapters in Genesis, not the whole Bible as you suggest.  Are you a devotee of Zecharias Sitchin's books?  if so, then know that this New Age author has no standing in modern biblical scholarship, whether by skeptics or believers.

By the way, how do justify the relevance of your emotional vitriol to an afterlife site?  In my Spitfire thread I at least discuss several points of contact between blblical teaching and New Age perspectives on God and the afterlife.

Don

IP Logged

Spitfire
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 6:28pm

Solve all your problems at once, execute the preaching woman.

IP Logged

juditha
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 7:09pm

Hi Black Napkins The woman was just trying to tell them to beleive in God . Its up to them if they listen . God bless juditha

IP Logged

Black_Napkins
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 8:08pm

Quote:
Black Napkins,

I don't know which is worse: the ignorance of those preachers at your Speaker's Circle, whose message you are likely mischaracterizing, or your own ignorance of biblical origins.  There are admittedly some parallels between biblical tradition and Sumerian-Babylonian tradition, but their source-critical interrelationships are far from clear.  In any case, we are basically talking about a few chapters in Genesis, not the whole Bible as you suggest.  Are you a devotee of Zecharias Sitchin's books?  if so, then know that this New Age author has no standing in modern biblical scholarship, whether by skeptics or believers.

By the way, how do justify the relevance of your emotional vitriol to an afterlife site?  In my Spitfire thread I at least discuss several points of contact between blblical teaching and New Age perspectives on God and the afterlife.

Don

Your right, I am for the most part ignorant of the origins of the bible, and didn't say the whole bible, just the old. I haven't had a huge amount of free time to study much of the similairities Myself, but i've read a decent amount in the past week.

Such as Adam,the city's that were destroyed because they were conspiring against God, the Nephlim, etc.

The fact that human genes rapidly changed as we evolved over a very short span of time. (please tell me you at least believe in evolution?)

No i am not a devotee, It's not modern biblical scholarship i'm concerned with, i'm concerned with scientific data and facts. Which, i have yet to find a ton of on either side considering that both these texts are extremely old. I think that alot of the parallels that come from the tablets and the old test. of the bible are to close to be coincidence.

If Genesis and other parts of the old test. are re-told stories from the tablets(which were older), shouldn't that raise fundamental questions concerning the origin of Man, and Christianity?

To me the catholic/christian religion is kind of like McDonalds, both are widespread because we made them marketed them(took alot of suffering), put them everywhere(colonies), and hey they both taste good(promise of heaven), does that mean it's good for you?

The way I look at it 'God' has not fully returned to us, his creation nor have an 'alien' race from which the tablets may refer too.

There is plenty of room to debate the two.

As for Juditha,

Don't you think stereotyping calling people "rapists" and "whores" a bit harsh? All in the name of God?

IP Logged

Jambo

1987, a great year for
the human race.

UK
Reply #5 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 10:49pm

Black , their version of "god" is thier will and thirst for control over the weak minded.

If you want to shoot them I will provide the weapons  Wink (ONLY JOKING, No weapons will be supplied)

1 simple quote of mine to round off this wonderful post

"Religion is a crutch for the power hungry"
Jambo, 2006

IP Logged

juditha
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 10:32am

Hi Black Napkins Im in total agreement with you . She has not got the right to call them rapists and sleepers. S hes one of those who thinks shes more intitled to gods love than anyone else . i agree with quoteing the bible but God did not make her judge and jury . there just young people having fun lwas the same when i was young and carefree . shes probably got a few skelotons in her own cupboard . S hes like the rest of us shes not perfect  but she probably thinks she is by the sounds of her. God bless juditha

IP Logged

Nje

Reply #7 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 2:33pm

Go set-up a counter group with inciteful, "satanic" signs.

They'll break the law sooner or later in response to this, and that's where the police come in..

Just because people abuse their rights doesn't mean you can't trick them into losing those rights.

IP Logged

pratekya

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #8 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 3:28pm

I used to debate the people who would come to campus to condemn people in the name of God / Christ.  Unfortunately they were mostly a source of comedy and an exhibit for people to reject a faith they had grown up with.  I was told by one of these people I was going to hell when I was questioning how their actions were loving to other people during these things.  My immediate response was to ask them how they could tell me that given they didnt even know me.
 In any case, I wanted to repond to a quote in this thread.

"To me the catholic/christian religion is kind of like McDonalds, both are widespread because we made them marketed them(took alot of suffering), put them everywhere(colonies), and hey they both taste good(promise of heaven), does that mean it's good for you? "

The last sentence is suggestive of a similar line of reasoning that religion is created by humans to fulfill a need in people, such as Marx's 'religion is the opiate of the masses'.  Evidence for this is that it fulfills people, makes them feel better in the face of uncertainty in life and the certainty of death (and makes them better able to be active participants in an oppressive system).  However, just because religion and beliefs comfort people does not mean that those beliefs therefore are untrue.  Maybe they are comforting precicely because we have been designed by a creator to flourish when we are pursuing a relationship with something bigger than ourselves.  Either interpretation is just as valid.

IP Logged

Black_Napkins
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 5:10pm

Your absolutly right. I don't have the answers, but I want to know the Truth, and i think if we all conformed to a specific religous belief we would never find this Truth, other than what a select group of people say is Truth. So, i think it's important to question the very foundation of religion, which is directly the opposite of what the bible tells you to do. People will cast you out as a sinfull unbeliever, telling you that you will burn in a lake of fire, etc.

I guess i have alot of problems with the Catholic religion basicly telling you to remain strong in your faith, and that unbelievers will make you question your faith but you must remain steadfast and strong.

It truly is a form of social control....regardless of the fact that there IS or IS NOT a all knowing all powerfull 'God'.

If you don't do/or do certain things you will be punished for them, that type of mentality is controlling.

IP Logged

B-dawg

Missoula, Montana
Don't get mad. Get even...
Reply #10 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 7:04pm

Have some FUN with these clowns.
For example... ask them THIS (preferably with
some frat guys watching, or whoever you hang
out with...)
"God made man in his image, am I correct?"
They will answer yes.
Then ask, "So man's body, is a reflection of the
body of God. In fact, God has a body, right?"
It they are true fundies, they will answer in the
affirmative.
Now you've got them. Ask them, "Does God have a
pecker and balls then? If so, what does he DO with
them all day?"
(A possible Answer..? With a capital "A" I might add. If you get ambitious, you might want to print out a couple dozen copies of THIS...)

http://www.sexualecstasy.org/divinemasturbation.php

You might even add, that such a Holy Member, must be of appropriately Holy Proportions...
Or you could ask, is God circumcised... or does he still have his johnny-peel? If he is perfect and man is  (born!) made in his image, the latter must be true, righto? (And did the general ask the boys to do something he wouldn't do himself..?)
So, although you won't change any minds (or make any new friends either) you'll wring some laughs out of your buddies. *Not to mention how MAD the fundies will get.* A case in point...
When I was in college, we had a travelling Baptist sideshow hijack a position on the oval, set up their gear, and proceed to call all the guys "sperm-suckers" and "whoremongers" and "hoe-moe-seckchauls" whether they were gay or not (you had to be there to appreciate it..!) And how all the women there (esp. sorority girls) were "whores." They said we were all going to Hell, yadda yadda.
I used some of the above questions on "Brother Tom" and he got so enraged (you shoulda seen his face go red, then white!) he said he'd like to KILL me, and only his fear of the law stood between him and his desire to murder me..!" (Understand that the crowd was in a bit of a stir already...)
HOO BOY, the crowd got excited after that! A riot, a free-for-all! At least one person got out some pot and started passing it around, you could smell it..! People throwing pennies at his backside (hard!) as he preached... Girls mooning him as he preached, at least one sneaking up behind him and slipping her PANTIES over his head... one kid dived bombed him from a bike with a milkshake, adding a bit of color to his starchy white button-up shirt... people loudly asking him questions about what his daddy had done to him after lights out when he was a kid, and so forth... and finally (after about 45 delightful minutes) campus security had to ask them to leave, for causing a "disturbance!" (Or should we say, "party?")
Need I add, that he who loses his cool, loses the debate? But I digress.
My advice? Don't get angry at them. Have some FUN with 'em! It's what their kind is good for anyway...

B-man

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #11 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 7:23pm

You better hope Don doesn't read this one.  As bawdy as it was, I was amused, B-man.

M

IP Logged

Berserk

Reply #12 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 8:45pm

B-man,

Actually, God jokes can be spiritually profound in the sense that too many believers do overly anthropomorphize God and humor can be a good way to unmask that.  Seriously though, even most Fundies would not claim that God literally has a body.  You might try Christ instead.  If they ever claimed Christ still has genetalia, I'd pass out!  

But let me give you some real life examples--two questions seriously posed to me by a nun with a PhD in Religion.  This nun asked me one day, "OK Don, now when did Jesus actually join the Christian church?"  I was speechless.  On another occasion I was discussing Montanism, a prophetic Christian movement that was the last gasp for female leadership in the early church.  When the bishop of Rome excommunicated these ladies, they retalliated by excommunicating him!  They then appointed women as bishops all over the Mediterranean world.  They had visions of Christ as a woman and would even have OBEs during their Sunday worship.   Of course, they were eventually persecuted into oblivion.   Anyway, this nun was intrigued, so she asked, "Now exactly when did this movement flourish?"  I replied, "Around 170-200."  She then queried, 'Is that BC or AD?"  I icily replied: "AD!"

I once watched a Christian vs. Agnostic TV debate that pitted a couple of pastors against 2 hard-boiled newspaper columnists.  One columnist asked this minister: "Is there food in heaven?"  He replied, 'Yes, we shall all enjoy the Marriage Supper of the Lamb."   The columnist then asked, "OK, is there also plumbing in Heaven?"   To my amazement this question totally disoriented the minister.   The columnist then bored in for the kill: "Well how can Heaven remain pure if they have no way of disposing of all that excrement?"  I couldn't stand it!  Grin

Don
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2006 at 5:24pm by Berserk »  

IP Logged

B-dawg

Missoula, Montana
Reply #13 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 9:12pm

You better hope Don doesn't read this one.  As bawdy as it was, I was amused, B-man.

M
And every word of it is TRUE, I swear... 8)

IP Logged

flutterbug

Reply #14 - Mar 3rd, 2006 at 3:10am

Pratekya,

I totally agree with you:

"However, just because religion and beliefs comfort people does not mean that those beliefs therefore are untrue.  Maybe they are comforting precicely because we have been designed by a creator to flourish when we are pursuing a relationship with something bigger than ourselves. "

I like the way you put this.  Our need to search out and find something greater than ourselves seems to be the one thing that we call have in common. Regardless of belief systems, or lack thereof, we all want to know what this life is all about.  I think we were created with an internal drive to seek out the truth.  I also believe that we will find that truth whether that defining moment lies in this life or the next.

Much love,
Bug

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.