Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Channeling Agendas: A Reply to Roger (Read 453579 times)
Chris

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Re: Channeling Agendas: A Reply to Roger
Reply #120 - Apr 25th, 2005 at 9:54am

Quote:
That is enough right there to know that these writings are definitely not coming from God or sources of spiritual truth.  There is overwhelming historical evidence for the death-by-crucifixion of Jesus.  Absolutely overwhelming and undeniable.

Freebird

Freebird, can you show us this "overwhelming and undeniable" evidence? Thanks.

I ask not because I don't believe Jesus existes nor necessarily that he was crucified. It's just that when talking about events some 2000 years ago and someone says it's a fact with "undeniable and overwhelming" evidence, well...

As for Seth, I beleive he stated not that a cricifixion didn't take place nor that Jesus didn't exist, but the contrary, that Jesus did indeed exist and a crucifixion took place but it wasn't jesus who was crucifed, it was another person.  I mean how can one know for sure, such circumstances didn't occure some 2000 years ago? That another was crucified in jesus' place? So I'm curious what "overwhelming and undeniable" evidence eixsts. And I'm certain it would be such evidence worthy of todays' trials and evaluation.

Thanks. And Excuse thsi question if this has already been asked. I haven't read through the entire thread.

IP Logged

Berserk

Reply #121 - Apr 25th, 2005 at 2:41pm

Chris,

I'm sympathetic with your reluctance to read my thread all the way through.  I never intended it to become the longest thread ever developed on this site.  You're essentially correct about what you say about Seth.  The relevant post is reply #1 on p. 1 of this thread. 

I agree with Firebird that the evidence for Christ's crucifixion is verified by "overwhelming" evidence.  But one's assessment of evidence regarding a controversial figure is in the eye of the beholder.  There are groups who insist that the Apollo moon landing has little evidence to support it and that the moon landing was faked in a New Mexico hangar.  As for Jesus' crucifixion, Firebird can capably speak for himself. 

I would make three claims about this question:
(1) The Gospels can be connected with eyewitness testimony.  But of course eyewitnesses can be misinformed and can be deceptive.  However, I think the Gospel witness is basically reliable.  There is an overwhelming SECULAR  scholarly consensus that Jesus was in fact crucified. But I concede that "overwhelming" is perhaps too leaded a term for arguments about ancient events.

(2) We can even piece together the negative version of Jesus' life circulated by His first and second century detractors.  This version is substantially a tissue of lies, but even it concedes that Jesus was in fact crucified.  If you  wish, I can develop (1) and (2) in detail.  I hesitate to do so because this does not really advance the purpose of Bruce's site. 

(3) I will take the liberty of refuting one false claim made recently on this site.  Posters clamed that Josephus is the only early non-Christian witness to Jesus' crucifixion and that his references to Jesus can be dismissed as later Christian interpolations.  These posters are wrong on both counts.

(a) Josephus was born a few years after Jesus' death.  The Greek version of his fullest allusion to Jesus seems too sympathetic for a Pharisee like Josephus and has apparently been revised by a later Christian hand.  But the Arabic version of this allusion reflects Josephus's style and lacks the bias of the Greek version.  It seems to preserve the original wording.   It reads:

"At that time there was a wise man who was called Jesus, and he was known to be virtuous.  And many people from among the Jews and the other nations became his disciples.  Pilate condemned him to be crucified and to die.  And those who had become his disciples did not abandon his discipleship.  THEY REPORTED that he had appeared to them after his crucifixion and that he was alive.  Accordingly, he was PERHAPS the Messiah concerning whom the prophets hav recounted  wonders (Josephus, Antiquities 18.3.3)."   

Note that Jpsephus is positive, tentative, and  yet ultimately neutral about Jesus. 

(b) Modern scholarship accepts the other allusion to Jesus in Josephus is beyond dispute:

"He [the high priest Annas] assembled the sanhedrin of the judges, and brought before them JAMES, THE BROTHER OF JESUS THE SO-CALLED CHRIST, and some of his companions, and when he had levelled an accusation against them as breakers of the Law, he delivered them to be stoned (Josephus, Antiquities 20.9.1)."

(c) It is wrong to claim that no other ancient non-Christian historian referred to Jesus.  Two non-Christian first century historians bear independent witness to the awesome events described in Matthew 27, but interpret this bizarre phenomenon as a 3-hour solar eclipse:

"From noon on, darkness came over the whole land, until 3 in the afternoon...At that moment [Jesus' death], the curtain of the Temple was torn in two, from top to bottom.  The earth shook and the rocks were split (Matthew 27:45, 51)."   

Both Thalles (52 AD) and Phlegon (also first century) were freedmen of Tiberius, the emperor at the time of Jesus' crucifixion.  Both of their histories are now lost, but are quoted by the Christian historian Julius Africanus in 220 AD.  Julius takes issue wth their interpretation of the darkness as a 3-hour solar eclipse from noon till 3 PM during Jesus' crucifixion.  Others apparently dismissed this event as a mass 3-hour hallucination.  Julius Afircanus feels strongly that they are underestimating the supernatural character of what actually happened that day in Jerusalem:

"On the whole world there passed a most fearful darkness, and the rocks were rent by an earthquake, an many places in Judea and other districts were thrown down.  This darkness, THALLES, IN THE THIRD BOOK OF HIS HISTORY, calls, as appears to me without reason, an eclipse of the sun.  For the Hebrews celebrated the Passover on the 14th day according to the moon, and the passion of our Savior falls on the day before the Passover; but an eclipse of the sun takes place only when the moon comes under the sun...But let opinion pass and carry the majority with it, and let the portent of the world be deemed an eclipse of the sun, like others, a portent only to the eye (i.e., a hallucination).  PHLEGON RECORDS THAT, in the time of Tiberias Caesar, at full moon, there was a full eclipse of the sun from the 6th hour to the 9th (i.e. noon to 3 PM)--manifestly that one of which we speak.  But what has an eclipse in common with an earthquake, the rending of rocks, and the resurrection of the dead, and so great a perturbation throughout the universe?  Surely no such event as this is recorded for a long time (18:1)." 

A Roman inscription in Greek from time of Emperor Claudius (40 AD) has been found near Jesus' home town, Nazareth.  The inscription warns the residents against grave-robbing and apparently reflects the Roman belief that Jesus' disciples stole Jesus' body and then claimed that He had risen from the dead.

In the early 2nd century, two other Roman historians, Tacitus (115 AD) and Suetonius (120 AD) refer to Christ.  Suetonius refers to Christ as "Chrestus" and Tacitus refers to Christians as "Chrestians,"  but it is clear that Christ is intended.  "Chrestus" is a common name in Latin, whereas "Christus" is unprecedented.  So the spelling is altered to make it more familiar to Romans.  Tacitus refers to Jesus' execution by Pontius Pilate (Annals 15:44).  Lucian, another 2nd century pagan dismisses Jesus as "a crucified idiot." 

Don

IP Logged

Raphael
Ex Member

Reply #122 - Apr 25th, 2005 at 2:58pm

I was the one who brought Flavius so you are referring to me. but I never claimed he was a witness. I claimed he was the only historian that mentioned Jesus near his era.

Also I claimed that since Jesus was so Important and did all these miracles he should have been reported by the historians of his time while he was alive and that didn't happen.

Also I am very curious to know what are the overwhelming proofs that Jesus ever existed and was crucified. Would you be kind enough to elaborate ?

Edit: Just so you know, I tend to believe there was a Jesus even if there are no "overwhelming" proofs. I also tend to think the whole story around him is just a big myth made on purpose to give more "punch" to his religion. Like Raël and many others are doing.
« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2005 at 7:29pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Chris

Reply #123 - Apr 26th, 2005 at 7:26am

Quote:

I would make three claims about this question:
(1) The Gospels can be connected with eyewitness testimony.  But of course eyewitnesses can be misinformed and can be deceptive.  However, I think the Gospel witness is basically reliable.  

Hey Don, nice to chat with you again.
Thanks for your opinion.
Reliable? is that the same as infalible or inerrant.
Reliability when relying on second or third hand account of events and then written down many many years after the fact, and relying on those documents to remain unchanged, unedited, un 'picked-a-part' in archaic time seems to me highly unreliable in my OPINION.

As for the matter of Jesus being cruicified, no one has yet put forth any reliable overwhelming evidence that a switcharoo didn't take place.

IP Logged

Berserk

Reply #124 - Apr 26th, 2005 at 8:06pm

Raphael, my prior post was crafted in response to the following quotes from yourself and Brendan:

Raphael: "If [Jesus] was THAT important, he should have been in historic records and he isn't.  The only historian that talked about him was Flavius Josepus." 

Brendan: "Flavius Josephus' commentary about "the Christ" may be entirely a fabrication at that."

I've just discussed 3 first century and 2 second century historians who refer to Jesus' crucifixion.   But Raphael, I gather that you'd like me to address the question of why the historians alive during Jesus' ministry don't discuss Jesus?

Name one Jewish or Romans historian who was alive during Jesus' public ministry (27-30 AD).  You create the impression that you imagine historians were plentiful in late antiquity.  Philo of Alexandria lived and wrote in Jesus' day.  But he was a Jewish philospher, not a historian.  And he died around ten years after Jesus' crucifixion.  There is no evidence that Christians arrived in Alexandria in Philo's lifetime.  So how would he even have known about Jesus. lry alone had good info on him?   

In Jesus' day there were many Jewish messianic pretenders who promised miracles.  So reports that Jesus too claimed to be the Messiah would not have created much buzz.  Besides, Jewish propaganda would have dampened any pagan interest in Jesus.  It was widely circulated that Jesus taught cannibalism because His followers ate the body and blood of Christ.  Jewish polemicists portrayed Jesus' birth as illegitimate.  They depicted him as a magician whose miracles were either performed through demonic power or were faked as a magical con job.  Interestingly, the skeptics conceded that if you were there, you would have seen what looked like miracles.  Also, they hated him for hanging out with marginal types like seedy sailors, prostitutes, tax collectors, and Gentiles.  These are only some of the reasons that explain why no historians from Jesus' lifetime mention him.

Tomorrow night, I'll address the other issue you raise, the claim that the Jesus story is basically one big myth.

Don

P.S. Chris, by "reliable" I don't mean "inerrant' or "infallible."  I mean 'capable of being connected with eyewitness testimony from credible sources."

IP Logged

Raphael
Ex Member

Reply #125 - Apr 27th, 2005 at 6:11am

Well I never learnt so much about christianity before the whole debate started about Jesus on this forum lol

I can't find any historian right now Sad But realying on later historians is rather problematic for sure...

Anyhow I discovered this that could give me more credibility.

source : http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jcno.htm

Quote:
Robert M Price 4 writes: "In broad outline and in detail, the life of Jesus as portrayed in the gospels corresponds to the worldwide Mythic Hero Archetype in which a divine hero's birth is supernaturally predicted and conceived, the infant hero escapes attempts to kill him, demonstrates his precocious wisdom already as a child, receives a divine commission, defeats demons, wins acclaim, is hailed as king, then betrayed, losing popular favor, executed, often on a hilltop, and is vindicated and taken up to heaven." He asserts that there are a number of historical and mythical figures whose life stories contain these elements, including Jesus. But just as we do not regard Hercules as a historical figure, a case can be made that Jesus was also a mythical character.

Some theologians and historians believe that many of the details of Jesus' life were "borrowed" from a competing, contemporary religion, Mithraism.

Mithra was a fictional character who was worshipped as a Good Shepherd, the Way, the Truth and the Light, the Redeemer, the Savior, and the Messiah. A religion in his name was founded in the 6th century BCE. 5 Mithraism one of the most popular of religions in the Roman Empire, particularly among its soldiers and civil servants. It was Christianity's leading rival. 19 Mithra was also believed to have been born of a virgin. Like Jesus, their births were celebrated yearly on DEC-25. Mithra was also visited by shepherds and by Magi. He traveled through the countryside, taught, and performed miracles with his 12 disciples. He cast out devils, returned sight to the blind, healed the lame, etc. Symbols associated with Mithra were a Lion and a Lamb. He held a last supper, was killed, buried in a rock tomb. He rose again after three days later, at the time of the spring equinox, circa MAR-21. He later ascended into heaven. Mithraism celebrated the anniversary of his resurrection, similar to the Christian Easter. They held services on Sunday. Rituals included a Eucharist and six other sacraments that corresponded to the rituals of the Catholic church. Some individuals who are skeptical about stories of Jesus' life suspect that Christianity may have appropriated many details of Mithraism in order to make their religion more acceptable to Pagans. St. Augustine even stated that the priests of Mithra worshipped the same God as he did. 19 Other early Christians believed that Satan invented Mithraism and that he made Mithra's life and the practices of the religion identical to what Christianity would become centuries later. They felt that Satan's purpose was to confuse believers.
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2005 at 8:55am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Axel
Ex Member

Reply #126 - Apr 27th, 2005 at 6:13am

Well,i think it is very hard to know if Jesus really existed or not,and debating about it is useless because nobody really holds the evidence that he really did exist. However,why not ask some of the great "projecters" of this board to go up there and ask them what they can find about Jesus?
My view about religions(in general) is that they are more and more corrupted,and often based on lies.
The muslim religion was one of them,Mahomet copied the christian religion and his "visions" came from hallucination,or maybe he didnt digest his wine easily. Isn't that amazing that religious people always try to convince other people to "follow" their faith? Probably because they have doubts themselves.
About Elias and Seth,everyone here who knows me know that i am not a follower,but i know BY EXPERIENCE that what Elias says is true. I had myself doubts before but not anymore. When a concept becomes reality,then doubts disappear. That is what happened for me.

Thanks

Axel

IP Logged

Touching Souls

LOVE IS ALL, SHINE YOUR
LIGHT THAT OTHERS MAY
SEE

Metaline Falls, WA
Reply #127 - Apr 27th, 2005 at 8:46am

Axel, I KNOW that Yeshua is/was real as I was there in the body of Peter but there is no way that I can prove it so the debate will go on and on and on. Only when people stop arguing and debating this and go within where all answers lie will the debate end.  We have all answers to every single thing within each of us.

Peace,
Mairlyn Wink

I AM THAT I AM -- WE ARE ALL ONE -- TOUCHING SOULS
Wink
WWW minniecricket2000  
IP Logged

Berserk

Reply #128 - Apr 27th, 2005 at 3:45pm

Raphael,

I'm glad you want to discuss this, though I realize that this topic might cause us to stray beyond the purpose of Bruce's site.  But if it's OK with him, I'm delighted.  Of course, the issue of Christ's resurrection makes this topic somewhat relevant.
I also agree that a separate thread should be started because we have strayed way beyond the issue of "channeling agendas."  So I will instead respond to your new Jesus post.

Don

IP Logged

Berserk2

Reply #129 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 8:18pm

I want to mention a form of channeling that is rarely discussed on this board.  A few weeks ago, I attended a talk by the local owner of a well drilling company.  He mentioned that his dowsers are 90% accurate in their location of underground water.  Their accuracy is important because it can cost $10,000 per drilled hole!  He then told the story of how one of his dowsers went off the deep end and started asking his rod questions about his personal life.  Should he divorce his wife, etc.?  The rod "just jumped" in his hand as it provided clearcut answers.  But the psychic answers soon started deceiving him and messed up his personal life to the point where a well drilling co-worker suspected demonic deception!  The thought occurred to me that this misuse of dowsing rods probably operates on the same principles as a Ouija board.  The dangers of Ouija boards have often been discussed on this site.  Both dowsing rods and Ouija bards can channel both spirits and, more mundanely, the hidden recesses of the unconscious.

Don

« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2009 at 5:00pm by Berserk2 »  

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #130 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 3:56pm

It is interesting, Don, in another thread, I noted that for Jane Roberts, her initial contacts with the Seth entity were via Ouija board experimentation.  Her final ill health and suffering were well documented, and was similar to another channelling - possibly the person from ACIM?   These entities both dictated volumes of information, yet the toll on the person doing the channeling was great, possibly severe, and not in their best interest.

The idea, which I rebel against,  is that all channeling must be giving answers from a more evolved, more in tune, more loving spiritual source than we know while we are incarnate.  As has been noted on this board previously, contact with lower level, possibly deceptive or unloving entities has become common place via Ouija board.  Everyone is not who they say they are, and the discerning abilities of the incarnate (us) may not be particularly great.

Matthew
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2009 at 7:23pm by DocM »  

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #131 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 5:57pm

I wonder if this is a possibility. A person starts out by pretending to channel some entity. A person does this partly because he or she has tendencies that are dishonest, manipulative and greedy. Without knowing it, this person attracts an unfriendly spirit to his or herself, this unfriendly spirit feeds a person misleading thoughts without this person being aware that he or she is being fed misleading thoughts. Or in other words, a misleading spirit finds a person who unknowingly becomes the misleading spirit's voice piece.

I have communicated with friendly spirits many times, yet a number of times an unfriendly spirit has come along. Sometimes unfriendly spirits make their presence obvious. Sometimes they'll try to mislead me by sending me a message with the hope that I'll believe it comes from a being who represents the light. It can become confusing at times.

I know about the like attracts like principle, but there are other factors.  I once had a dream which basically said that if you don't do what they (unfriendly spirits) do, don't go where they go, and don't mess with them, they won't mess with you. I didn't let this message deter me from getting involved with light oriented spirit work that made it possible for some unfriendly spirits to become aware of me.

There have been a few occasions where I was in contact with a friendly spirit while feeling love, peace, and divinity, and an unfriendly spirit still managed to get its peanut gallery comments into the conversation. The nature of such random occurences was easy to read, because the unfriendly spirits presented themselves with a lot of anger, hate and maliciousness.

Perhaps because lower realm spirits are located somewhere between this physical World and higher realms, it is possible for an unfriendly spirit to find its way into the conversation, even while one is connected to a higher level of consciousness.

« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2009 at 9:12pm by recoverer »  

IP Logged

Berserk2

Reply #132 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 6:16pm

THE SAD TESTIMONY OF CLOSE FRIENDS OF HELEN SCHUCMAN (ACIM CHANNELER) AND SETH'S VICTIM, JANE ROBERTS:

I have already discussed how the "Jesus" of ACIM perverts the real Jesus' teachings in such a way as to prey on the biblical illiteracy of a gullible New Age readership.  ACIM repeatedly implies that it promotes true sanity.  But not long after the completion of ACIM, its channeler, Helen Schucman, was victimized by the worst case of depression psychosis her good friend, Benedict Groeschel had ever seen.  As the real Jesus taught, "By their fruits you shall know them,"  i. e. know the difference between true spirituality and its various seductive counterfeits.      

Few people are more qualified than Dr. Benedict Groeschel to assess Helen Schucman’s 7-year odyssey in which ACIM was dictated to her by a spirit impersonator passing itself off as Jesus Christ.  Groeschel had been one of Helen Schucman’s grad students.  He later became a good friend, and so, was asked to conduct her funeral service and deliver her eulogy.  

Helen Schucman had briefly become a Catholic after visiting Lourdes.  She then asked to be baptized, attended Mass regularly, and prayed the Rosary.  Then she left the church. Grosechel reports:

“Schucman’s mother had been a Christian Scientist, one who read the girl from the writings of Mary Baker Eddy all during her childhood…I decided that A Course in Miracles was a fascinating blend of poorly understood Christianity inspired by her visit to Lourdes and poorly understood Christian Science inspired by the memory of Mary Baker Eddy’s writings, ALL FILTERED THROUGH SOME PROFOUND PSYCHOLOGICAL PROBLEMS AND PROCESSES.”

Helen's friend Benedict was shocked by the contradiction between Helen's stated convictions and the content of ACIM.  She often complained to him, "I hate that dam-n book," and she regularly disavowed its teachings.  “She became frightening to be with, Groeschel recalled, “spewing psychotic hatred not only for A Course in Miracles, but “for all things spiritual.”  When he sat at Schucman’s bedside as she lay dying, she cursed in the coarsest barroom language you could imagine, “That book, that goddarn book."  She said it was the worst thing that ever happened to her.  I mean, she raised the hair on the back of my head.  It was truly terrible to witness.”  As a psychologist, Greoschel debunks most alleged cases of demonic possession.  Helen's Schucman's case is not one of them!

This thread has already exposed the crucial errors made by Jane Roberts about Seth's prior lives and her easily refuted claims about  the historical Jesus.  Anyone interested in an honest and open inquiry into the Seth material should read the memoir of Jane's close friend, Susan M. Watkins, "Speaking of Jane Roberts."  This book exposes just how vacuous is Seth's oft repeated claim that "we create our own reality."  For example, the Seth material has a great deal to say about how we can create our own physical healing.  Yet Jane Roberts herself experienced a long, lingering premature death which in itself seems to mock her tired Sethian bromides.  Jane Roberts talked the talk, but didn't not walk the walk.  Like Helen Schucman, she seems to have been possessed and duped by the evil entity she channeled.  Jane's career as a medium began with a Ouija board dabbling.  Her life is another nail in the coffin of the claim that Ouija boards are generally safe and valid sources of information about the afterlife.

Remember, as psychiatric Scott Peck so eloquently demonstrates, evil deception tells fascinating truths to set up devastating lies!

Don

IP Logged

recoverer

Reply #133 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 4:38pm

Don:

In the past a couple of people on this forum contended that Groeschel isn't a good witness to Schuchman's fate. Going by how Mark Cuneo speaks of Groeschel in his book Exorcism in America, Groeschel was an honest man who wouldn't exagerate Schuchman's state of mind.

Schuchman's ACIM's collaborator William Tetford had parents who were also into Christian Science. He was also a mind control expert who worked for the CIA.  Both ACIM and Christian Science speak of this World with a Vendantic interpretation, it is nothing but an illusion.

It is hard to believe that a person who supposedly received information from Christ for a number of years, would end up in the state of mind Helen ended up in.

It is also hard to believe that Christ would chose a lady who was closely associated with a man who was involved with mind control projects.

I tend to be pretty good at interpreting what I read, and many of the paragraph's that can be found within ACIM just don't make sense. The course takes the stance that you should assume it is your own error when you don't understand something. I don't agree.

I find it really hard to believe that Christ would choose a means of communication that matches the ACIM format. For example, a 365 day affirmation course that suits the needs of all people? This is really hard to believe.

I can see how the course has a brainwashing effect.
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2009 at 8:04pm by recoverer »  

IP Logged

Alan McDougall

South Africa
Reply #134 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 6:07pm

Don,

Hi there

I have a deep dislike for channeling in all its forms at  best it is silly nonsense and at worst it is evil delusion by demon spirits

These fraudulent channelers rake in the money from their gullible victims and none of them have  come up with anything positive or practical to the advancement of humanity

Silly nonsense

Alan

Blessings and Light

Alan McDougall
WWW <a href= <a href=  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.