Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
A Critique of Alleged Past Life Recall (Read 11383 times)
Berserk2

A Critique of Alleged Past Life Recall
Mar 5th, 2010 at 10:00pm

I begin by exploring the legitimacy of past life regression.  I only ask that posters confine their comments to this practice until I shift the focus of this thread to other flaws in alleged past life recall.
Two of the poster boys for alleged reincarnation evidence are Michael Newton’s hypnotic regression technique and Dr. Ian Stevenson’s research on the past life recall of young children.  Future posts will discuss fatal flaws in Stevenson’s own research .  But even he dismisses past life regression of the sort performed by Newton.  Newton admits his patients have some sort of psychological disorder.  His claims do not follow the pattern established by other researchers on NDEs and past life recall, not even reincarnationist Joel Whitton’s “Life Between Life.” Nor have his findings been replicated in controlled studies.  Nor has Newton has not published his findings in any scientific journal subjected to peer review by experts in clinical hypnosis. 
More importantly, as a psychiatrist, even Dr. Stevenson is well aware that it is illegitimate to use hypnotic regression techniques in support of reincarnation: “In my experience, nearly all so-called previous personalities evoked through hypnotism are entirely imaginary and a result of the patient’s eagerness to obey the hypnotist’s suggestions.  It is no secret that we are all highly suggestible under hypnosis.  This kind of suggestion can actually be dangerous.  Some people have been terribly frightened by their supposed memories, and in other cases the previous personality evoked has refused to go away for a long time (Omni Magazine” (1988).”  Thus, it comes as no surprise that even Sigmund Freud abandoned hypnosis as a treatment method when he discovered so many cases of false memories. 
In fact, scientific research at Harvard and elsewhere has repeatedly demonstrated that “people with memories of false lives are less able to discriminate between imagined and real events both inside and outside the laboratory.”  Thus, respected organizations like the American Medical Association, the American Psychiatric Association, and the Australian Psychiatric Association express dismay that hypnotic regression is misused to recover adult memories of childhood sexual abuse!
Yale psychology professor, Dr. John Kilstrom, summaries the consensus of the experts surveyed in Fromm and Nash, “Contemporary Hypnosis Research:” and Barnhardt and Kihlstrom’s review in Wegner and Pennebaker’s “Handbook of Mental Heath.”   “Everything we know about hypnosis tells us that hypnosis is first and foremost and experience of the imagination.  The analogy is to hypnotic age regression where we suggest to adults that they are children once again….If regression to age 5 doesn’t produce the real thing, why should anyone expect more of past life regression?
Many New Agers lamely claim that their regression “helped” them. Of course, any cultist can claim that experiences that support their dogmas “helped” them.  But as Dr. Kihlstrom observes,  “There is not even a single clinical study with anything like an acceptable design—showing the past life regression has positive therapeutic effects.”
Less important but more amusing is a report I read of a study of 500 subjects who experienced mass hypnotic regression to past lives.  There were several Napoleons and other famous dead worthies.  At least New Ager Helen Wambach’s parallel study offered avoided this comedic expose.
I also read a study on several past life readers.  These readers were confronted with the inconsistencies among the readers.  They dismissed this objection on the grounds that each reader might have tuned in to a different life.  So researchers shifted the study to immediate  past lives.  This approach exposed their delusions.  Each reader imagined a different past life for each subject!

Don

IP Logged

usetawuz

ALK Member

ne fla
Re: A Critique of Alleged Past Life Recall
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2010 at 7:59pm

Where is my delusion based when I undergo self-hypnosis and am taken to amazingly detailed past lives?  Methinks you doth protesteth too much.

IP Logged

george stone

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2010 at 1:10am

Don,if I were you I would not ask god if you had a past life.I think if you do you will regrett it.

IP Logged

usetawuz

ALK Member

ne fla
Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2010 at 9:54am

usetawuz wrote on Mar 7th, 2010 at 7:59pm:
Methinks you doth protesteth too much.

Sorry, I know that is incorrect...but whether it should be "Methinks you protesteth too much", or "Methinks you doth protest too much", I do not know...

IP Logged

Beau

Greenville SC
Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2010 at 11:04am

Me thinks THOU DOST protest too much.

All the world's a stage...whose stage?--that is the question!...or is it the answer...Who is on first.
IP Logged

Rondele
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2010 at 11:29am

Don-

One of the few things in ACIM that I agreed with was what was said about reincarnation.

Namely, it really doesn't matter whether a person believes in it or not.  What matters is how a person lives his/her life.

R

IP Logged

usetawuz

ALK Member

ne fla
Reply #6 - Mar 8th, 2010 at 11:49am

Beau wrote on Mar 8th, 2010 at 11:04am:
Me thinks THOU DOST protest too much.

Thank you, Beau...

IP Logged

hawkeye

canada
Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2010 at 2:22pm

With many who claim past life regression experiences, they do come up with grandiose claims of being powerful or important people during that past life expearence. Not all of believe we have had such important past lives. In fact it is highly unlikely. We would be far more likly to be slaves, workers, farmers, even your neighbour, etc. When I hear stories of these other regressions, and also with the many people who call themselves clairvoyants, it separates the truthful from the bull.
Now, I personally believe that I have lived a number of times before. My last death was Aug 24, 1952. Of that I know. Death in the water. Drown. Ibelieve off of California.
When Don brings up group regressions, and a number of people believed themselves to be Napoleon, there still might be some connection to an event or timeline surrounding living at the same time as him. Perhaps a person wishing to emulate him. Or someone who fought in one of his many armies. But as I know I have lived past lives, I would never dismiss the expearence of the person outright.
That opinion of Don that past life, and current life regression is "amusing", hypnotism and regression therapy, "cultest" and that it "exposed their delusions" is not surprising coming from someone with a religious background. Perhaps there is some sort of delusion going on here. Could it be that it stems from a desire to not believe adults that have been hypnotised and now remember the transgressions of their molesters? Or those who enter into a memory of a past life and no longer can except a fear based religion that insisted that if you dont follow their rules and obey their leaders you will be cast in a pit of fire and suffer damnation forever. Dosent surprise me that Don dosent beleave in it.

IP Logged

carl

Reply #8 - Mar 10th, 2010 at 4:59am

george stone wrote on Mar 8th, 2010 at 1:10am:
Don,if I were you I would not ask god if you had a past life.I think if you do you will regrett it.

Hi George. Of all the answers, yours was the best! ...Don! That intellectual religious guy, will never acknowledge reincarnation. His whole christian belief system will collapse upon this physical and spiritual truth and reality! And that's not counting on his present delicate mental-emotional state if it were confirmed to him from supernatural sources within himself, this truth, which he will dismiss as false revelations as usual. Regards. Carl.

IP Logged

george stone

Reply #9 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 12:47am

Hey hawkeye,I can see the the outline of a mans face on the right,and a womans face on the left.Can anyone else see it.in your post.George

IP Logged

hawkeye

canada
Reply #10 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 1:20pm

I am not seeing it George, but you did say you were having some interesting things going on with your PC. Or it could be that your picking up on a vibration. I prefer to believe that if that is the case it is because you see me as one with All, and not that my comments are two faced. Wink Take care George.

IP Logged

george stone

Reply #11 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 2:37pm

Hawkeye.if you look in the spaces between your words,and than lean back from a bit from your message,and focus,I think you will see the outline.

IP Logged

usetawuz

ALK Member

ne fla
Reply #12 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 3:02pm

I'm not seeing it, but I tend to only see things that are dumped into my head...

IP Logged

Cricket

Reply #13 - Mar 12th, 2010 at 10:55am

Not seeing it either, but I'm not very visual when it comes to stuff like that, and when I am, it's in the evening when I'm relaxed.  Now you've got me curious.

IP Logged

vagabound
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Mar 12th, 2010 at 1:03pm

Quote:
Hey hawkeye,I can see the the outline of a mans face on the right,and a womans face on the left.Can anyone else see it.

It depends on the width of your browser window. If you want us to see what you're seeing, tell us how wide your window is (or something like maximized at 1280x800 screen resolution)

take care,
Vagabound

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.