Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Validity of imagination method (Read 32022 times)

Re: Validity of imagination method
Reply #60 - Jun 25th, 2017 at 2:25am

Vicky wrote on Jun 18th, 2017 at 9:26am:
1796 wrote on Jun 18th, 2017 at 1:23am:
One method is imagination based, the other is purely awareness based.

Any method that I use is awareness based, obviously, because it is through my awareness that I am aware. 

Darn.  I'm really disappointed.  I thought we were talking about the same thing, how to explore nonphysically.  I thought maybe you were going to divulge some new method of inducing an OBE or something. 

I was under the impression that you had learned some really great method of how to perceive nonphysically in which to do afterlife exploration and show us how you gather information that you could then come back and find truth and proof about as evidence that your experience was real, so that others could see it as a useful method for themselves.  I was really interested in hearing what your method was because like I said, I'll try anything. 

But all you're talking about is your beliefs and philosophies, your belief in God and in seeking to know the truth.

Well that's the thing isn't it.  We all aspire to know the truth of what's really out there.  It's actually exactly why when I find something that works, I go with it.  I do this by exploring, having experiences, asking questions, and having more experiences, all of which expand my perception and conscious awareness. 

It sounds to me that your belief in God and in wanting to know the truth is enough to satisfy any curiosity you have about what exists.  To me it just sounds like your use of terminology is merely showing us what you think and believe in, but it is not describing any actual or useful method in which you can teach anyone to do something. 

Sitting around having beliefs in God, truth, reality, and perception are great, but one must actually get up off the couch and do something with what they know in order to have actual experiences. 

We all aspire to want and to know the truth.  It's actually kind of a given!  It's silly to talk in circles about what truth is and what reality is when actual experience is the key in exploring and discovering all we can about consciousness.   

Anyone without a hang up about beliefs can read my above posts on this thread and see that I am not talking about the kind of beliefs that Vicky the moderator says I am talking about.

Vicky, you have little idea what beliefs are and how the mind works. But that is not unusual. It is not common knowledge. But you should at least be aware that you don't know, for ignorance that believes it knows is foolishness.

By the way, there is a significant difference between imagination and awareness. One should be able to differentiate between those two. That is basic.

Would-be “Afterlife Explorers”, depending on their degree of seriousness, aught to have knowledge of how the mind works.

Would you drive deep into unexplored territory with none or only basic knowledge of how a motor vehicle works? If you were sensible, then of course you would not do that. You would ensure you knew mechanics first, and make sure you know how to rectify mechanical problems. 

If you don’t know the mechanics of how the human mind works, its component parts, what they do and how they interact, then how can you rightly use your mind, even mundanely, let alone rightly use it as a vehicle in which to venture into unknown worlds more confusing than this world? The answer is you cannot do it. You will get lost, bogged, stuck or break down at the first test, and probably not even know what has happened.

And if you have no idea how to navigate by nature and landmarks then how will you find your way? How will you even know if you are travelling in circles? You won’t know.

Here is an introduction into values and beliefs, which some readers might find useful. It follows on from my previous posts on this thread:

Values

All things conceived of have value to the individual, and are arranged in the individual’s spectrum of values from highest to lowest value. We have our ideal values and our operative values. Our ideal values are those we cite when asked what our values are. (Even rotten people cite good values like honesty and family, but they do not operate by them.) Our operative values are those we function by, those that drive our automatic thinking and behaviour.

Our value spectrum is in a constant state of rearrangement and development, governed by our judgement. We have conflicting values, that is, different items of the same value but on different spectrum fragments, which we must subject to our judgement and make a choice between those items, and so our spectrum develops, slowly over time and trial to become unified and reflective of reality.

Few people value truth above all else. Most have preference which is a barrier to truth. Most people value feeling good above all else. Most people value emotion over truth.

Beliefs

Included among values are beliefs. Beliefs are unknown convictions. Beliefs can be imprisoning or liberating, depending on the kind of belief.

There is rational open and liberating belief such as the belief that there exists unknown truth (which is the belief I described in the previous posts which opens and readies the mind for truth), and the rational belief that oneself exists; and there are irrational closed and imprisoning beliefs such as a belief in a particular limited truth.

And there are static beliefs that are closed particular beliefs about oneself and/or about others, about surroundings and circumstances; and there are dynamic beliefs (delusions of change, transition, events) that automatically arise within the individual to reconcile differences between two or more static beliefs or between static beliefs and reality.

Static beliefs are like protrusions on the mind, and as the mind does not like protrusion on itself there naturally arises between such protrusions dynamic beliefs to fill the spaces between static beliefs and thereby round itself out. Like scar tissue forms to heal a wound, dynamic beliefs arise to fill the gaps between static beliefs so that the mind can cycle itself without having to stop at the gaps.   

People on this forum talk about their familiarity with Robert Monroe and his work including binaural beats – binaural beats demonstrate how the sound of a note (an audible thought) automatically arises within the mind to reconcile the difference between two other sounds/thoughts – and yet people who claim to understand binaural beats fail to see the significance of that natural and automatic mental process.

You fail to see how your own static beliefs about yourself and about reality, your own protrusions on your mind, cause your mind to automatically generate dynamic delusions about change and transition to fill the gaps and reconcile the differences between your beliefs about yourself and reality.

Just like with hemi-sync, that illusionary third note that automatically arises to be heard in the mind between the two different notes played in each ear seems so real, so too, your delusions that automatically arise in your mind between your static beliefs seem so real to you.   

Beliefs are the drivers of individuals and nations. No one can think outside of their beliefs. It is impossible to do. An individual’s mind conforms and accords exactly with their beliefs.

We need to be able to differentiate between what we know and what we only think we know. We need to understand and be able to identify kinds of belief, so as to make sure our mind is functioning optimally.

When the consciousness is condensed to its purity, when it knows itself and understands what it is and what it is not, then instead of being opaque with protrusions and prone to delusions, it becomes clear and naturally round, and receptive to truth.

It is consciousness holding a logical belief in its own existence and in the existence of truth, and holding that belief as its highest ideal value and highest operational value, that enables the consciousness to become clear, rounded and able to see and know truth.      

IP Logged

Vicky
YaBB Administrator

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Colorado
Reply #61 - Jun 25th, 2017 at 8:37am

Maybe you should read my book so you can see all the experiences, knowledge, and beliefs I have and why I have them.  It'll give you a better idea into who I am and why I think, feel, believe, and know the way that I do.

My truth, knowledge, experience, and belief doesn't have to be the same as yours, and vice versa...yours don't need to be the same as mine.  Which is precisely the whole concept behind "go out and explore and gain your own experience and knowledge for yourself."

Don't knock hemi-sync until you've tried it.  And if you have tried it, then you didn't get out of it what you could.  Sometimes you have to try it several sessions, or be in a more relaxed and open frame of mind.  Being too stuck in your own head isn't the best way to be if you truly want to open yourself up to new experiences.  Clearly you aren't open to allowing yourself to gain the benefits of it.  Which is also clear to me why you are so set in your ways about your beliefs.  You call me static and delusional, but anyone reading what you're saying can see that you are projecting your own fallacies onto me in your reply here.  I say that not as a criticism but as an observation.  When someone uses critical judgement about another as a way to backup their own beliefs, it says more about themselves then about the other person.  For who are we to think we know another person better than they know themselves?

I think I know plenty about how the human mind works.  One doesn't need to be a psychologist to rightly use their mind.  Just as one doesn't need to be a mechanic to drive a car.  Heck, I'm not an electrician but I can flip a light switch just fine.

You see, your banal analogies and overuse of defining things still cannot do anything to convince me that the things I've experienced are not real, knowledgeable, and valuable in gaining awareness and beliefs about what lies beyond our physical existence.  I've seen and experienced things beyond your imagination.  You'll never be able to believe them for yourself, for they are my experiences, not yours.  It's ok that you cannot understand them in the way that I've experienced them because it's not necessary.  I share what I know and have learned not to convince anyone of truth and validity but to simply guide and encourage others to do their own exploring. 

1796, you and I are still talking about different things.  I'm talking about how I've gained my experience and knowledge and beliefs, while you're still stuck in your head about the definitions of terminology of your beliefs.  I've been there.  I used to do that too.  But too much sitting and thinking doesn't get you far.  My methods of experience, i.e Bruce Moen's methods as well as the use of hemi-sync, have given me lots of experience to continue guiding me as I continue to explore, and it is by all those experiences that I've had something to base my beliefs upon.  It is because of those experiences that I've been able to see, judge, know, evaluate, investigate, learn, understand, and grow.  And I continue to explore.  Continue to gain knowledge, experience, and beliefs upon which to continue exploring. 

You can do it your way, and I'll do it mine.  There's nothing wrong with either of our choices.  We each need to move at our own pace.  However, the leaps I've taken and the experiences I've had might to someone like you seem too unbelievable to be real.  But like I say, you really won't be able to understand until you try it for yourself.  It's why I don't expect you to just take what I say and believe it.  Whatever works for the individual is what's best.  I think that's a good rule of thumb for anyone, don't you agree?

Vicky

Author of Persephone's Journey (Amazon.com)

http://www.vickyshort.blogspot.com/
WWW 198267046870499  
IP Logged

Recoverer 2

ALK Member

South San Francisco
Reply #62 - Jun 25th, 2017 at 10:38am

1796 said: "Vicky, you have little idea what beliefs are and how the mind works. But that is not unusual. It is not common knowledge. But you should at least be aware that you don't know, for ignorance that believes it knows is foolishness."

Recoverer responds: "The above reminds me of the same sort of thing 1796 has said to me in the past. After a person speaks in such a way, I find no need to continue to read his long intellect-based post.  It isn't a matter of my being defensive, it is a matter of not wanting to read words from a person who speaks in the way that 1796 will sometimes speak.

IP Logged

Reply #63 - Jun 25th, 2017 at 10:58am

In the second paragraph I certainly used the term “you” to refer to yourself. And as I said, to refer to others too. For anyone to believe they can function consciously out of body in other dimensions without knowing how the mind works and expect to be able to tell illusion from reality is fanciful thinking. If one doesn't know how to see truth and falsity in this world, how can one hope to know truth and falsity in more unfamiliar worlds? That is directed to anyone.   

In the paragraphs about driving, mechanics and navigation, I used the term “you” generally, to mean anyone.

There has been an ongoing culture on this site pushing that beliefs are for non-spiritual fundamentalist Christians, and that we at this forum are above that because we here are spiritual not religious, and we here don’t need beliefs because we are into knowledge instead.

In the two paragraphs (5th and 6th from the end) I used the term “you” clumsily. I wanted to refer to everyone on this site who has been part of that culture, and who think they are somehow above beliefs, who have been continually putting down those they say do have beliefs, and yet they don’t see that they have beliefs of their own, and don’t even know what beliefs are, or how they work, and clearly do not understand the concept of cognitive dissonance on a belief level (two static incompatible beliefs) and how the dissonance automatically reconciles itself with automatically arising beliefs of transition between the static ones, so that the mind can cycle itself without stopping at its own gaps.

Cognitive dissonance on a belief level between two beliefs is reconciled automatically with an arising third belief unconsciously and without discomfort, unlike on a cognitive level where the dissonance is felt as discomfort and reconciled by various conscious means.

I did not knock hemi-sync. I commented on people’s inability to learn a vital lesson from it about the workings of the mind that hemi-sync demonstrates – the mind’s ability to automatically generate delusions to reconcile incompatibilities whether those incompatibilities be of sensory inputs or of beliefs. 

I am perfectly open to people using hemi-sync if they want to; any tool that does the job is worth using; I have no problem with it. And as I have been making clear, it demonstrates a common automatic function of the mind that people can benefit from understanding. Your making out that I have a problem with hemi-sync, then arguing against the problem you say I have is pointless to do.

And I am not the least interested in trying to convince you that your experiences are not real or knowledgeable, so you needn’t worry about that.

IP Logged

Vicky
YaBB Administrator

Colorado
Reply #64 - Jun 25th, 2017 at 11:15am

1796 wrote on Jun 25th, 2017 at 10:58am:
For anyone to believe they can function consciously out of body in other dimensions without knowing how the mind works and expect to be able to tell illusion from reality is fanciful thinking. If one doesn't know how to see truth and falsity in this world, how can one hope to know truth and falsity in more unfamiliar worlds?

There has been an ongoing culture on this site pushing that beliefs are for non-spiritual fundamentalist Christians, and that we at this forum are above that because we here are spiritual not religious, and we here don’t need beliefs because we are into knowledge instead.

I wanted to refer to everyone on this site who has been part of that culture, and who think they are somehow above beliefs, who have been continually putting down those they say do have beliefs, and yet they don’t see that they have beliefs of their own, and don’t even know what beliefs are, or how they work, and clearly do not understand the concept of cognitive dissonance on a belief level (two static incompatible beliefs) and how the dissonance automatically reconciles itself with automatically arising beliefs of transition between the static ones, so that the mind can cycle itself without stopping at its own gaps.

I did not knock hemi-sync. I commented on people’s inability to learn a vital lesson from it about the workings of the mind that hemi-sync demonstrates – the mind’s ability to automatically generate delusions to reconcile incompatibilities whether those incompatibilities be of sensory inputs or of beliefs. 

Beliefs are subjective things.  And I think everyone has some sort of belief, whether they are conscious or subconscious.

You suggesting that hemi-sync automatically generates delusions is not a fact, it's your opinion.  Which is fine for you to have.  I'm just saying that for myself, I can look beyond what you're focusing on as a hindrance and I can utilize the benefits of the altered states that I have achieved via the use of hemi-sync or via the use of Bruce's methods.  So that's what I'm demonstrating.  I see that you're demonstrating that people should evaluate their own experiences with a keen eye for deciphering what may be false.  I agree.  Just like being able to recognize what's real.  Maybe it's a half glass full sort of thing.  I look for the things that propel me to achieve, excel, and soar, not the things that hold me back from doing so. 

WWW 198267046870499  
IP Logged

Reply #65 - Jun 25th, 2017 at 12:32pm

Vicky wrote on Jun 25th, 2017 at 11:15am:
You suggesting that hemi-sync automatically generates delusions is not a fact, it's your opinion.  Which is fine for you to have.  I'm just saying that for myself, I can look beyond what you're focusing on as a hindrance ....  I look for the things that propel me to achieve, excel, and soar, not the things that hold me back from doing so. 

Vicky. You are wrong, It is not an opinion, it is a fact.

How many times do I have to say that I don't see hemisync as a hindrance or as any other sort of problem. I said hemisync demonstrates how delusions and illusions are automatically generated to reconcile incompatibilities in the mind.

I think you are pretending to misunderstand. I wont play such a silly game with you.

Others might be interested in this:

"A binaural beat is an auditory illusion perceived when two different pure-tone sine waves, both with frequencies lower than 1500 Hz, with less than a 40 Hz difference between them, are presented to a listener dichotically (one through each ear).[1] For example, if a 530 Hz pure tone is presented to a subject's right ear, while a 520 Hz pure tone is presented to the subject's left ear, the listener will perceive the auditory illusion of a third tone, in addition to the two pure-tones presented to each ear. The third sound is called a binaural beat, and in this example would have a perceived pitch correlating to a frequency of 10 Hz, that being the difference between the 530 Hz and 520 Hz pure tones presented to each ear.[2]"
Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_beats

Some might wish to try this:
Plug some earphones into your computer and listen to the binaural beats on the website link.
Remove one earphone and listen to the pitch of the note in one ear.
Then put on the other earphone and listen to the pitch in the other ear.
Notice the difference in pitch of the two notes in each ear.
Then with one earphone on, slowly lower the other earphone onto the other ear too.
You will then notice a third note sounded in your head that is different from the other two notes that you hear in each ear.
That third note is an illusion. As real as it seems to be, it exists nowhere except as an illusion in your mind.

The same thing happens with incompatible beliefs.

Here is a commonly seen example:

When a person believes that he or she is the beholder of a societal ideal, that belief is in two parts; the belief in a societal ideal, and the belief that he is a beholder of that ideal. One part is about self, the other about surroundings. Those two beliefs are static beliefs, and they require reconciliation or bringing together to make them dynamic and proceeding. Within such a mindset there always arises a conviction of impending societal change. This conviction is an automatic psychological arising whereby a vision of an event, a means or a process of societal change/transition automatically arises to fill the gap in the mind between his belief in himself as the beholder and conducer of a societal ideal and his envisaged societal ideal, and between that ideal and material reality. (Otherwise the mind could not cycle without jumping ditches.) This automatically arising vision, conviction or belief in a changing event occurs due to the natural rounding out of the mind because the mind does not like irregularities in itself, it is the natural joining and harmonising of ideas and filling the gaps between them. When the mind holds two separate and static beliefs or convictions, a third and dynamic belief will always automatically arise to reconcile the two. The bridging belief that arises between the two static beliefs to reconcile them, is naturally one of action, transition and change; and therefore serves to activate and bring to life the full threefold belief, being the beholder, the societal ideal, and the transition. It arises automatically, comes as a conviction, a hope, an "ah ha" moment, a vision, in day dreams and night dreams, in meditations, etc etc. And due to its automatic self generating, it has life of its own, it feels more real than the static beliefs, more alive than ordinary thought, even feels divinely inspired. This is the reason why all people who hold that first mentioned static belief of themselves beholding a better societal ideal have visions of societal destruction, change and transition, and of themselves playing a role in it. It is an automated delusion - a dynamic (dynamic meaning it involves change/transition) belief that arises to reconcile incompatible and disconnected static beliefs (static meaning beliefs that have no motion/change/transition in them, and which one is about self and the other about surroundings), and also to reconcile those beliefs not just with each other but also with reality. So then all the incompatibilities are made possible and harmonised by the delusion of impending societal change to the ideal. We have even seen a severe case of this condition and several lesser cases on this forum. And you can see these cases rife among people who think themselves spiritual. It is a common trap.

IP Logged

Vicky
YaBB Administrator

Colorado
Reply #66 - Jun 25th, 2017 at 1:26pm

I'm not pretending to misunderstand, I just don't agree with you that "this = that".  You seem to be trying to point out that some beliefs can be delusions, and you seem to be trying to apply that to hemi-sync based on the third sound.  I just don't see how you jump from the sound effect to delusions to beliefs and how you have found some common thread there. 

I've listened to a lot of hemi-sync and binaural beats.  I know of the third sound you're talking about.  However, I disagree with you in jumping to the assumption or belief that because of the effect of the third sound that it means that the experience (and beliefs that stem from such experiences) that follows is delusional. 

Not all analogies are useful.  It's much more helpful to just speak plainly and say what you mean.  Your using psychobabble about incompatible beliefs as an analogy for hemi-sync is a poor argument that doesn't hold much water.  Just because there is that third sound doesn't add up to there being delusional or incompatible beliefs involved.  I'm confused about the connection you're trying to make. 

You can clearly see where I'm coming from in all my replies to you, can't you?  You are only commenting to further describe and demonstrate what you are wanting to show, but you're not going further into what I'm trying to show.  The third sound in hemi-sync is not a concern.  How and why it's there has nothing to do with the real point of hemi-sync, which is the opening of the nonphysical senses due to one's altered state of consciousness, and the experiences that follow as a result.  You do understand that that is what my replies are about, right?

So simply put, I have no problem with the third sound being there.  It has nothing to do with the validity of my beliefs and experiences.  I am not speaking in generalities of what some people might possibly experience or what some people may or may not believe and that some beliefs may not be best or most truthful.  I'm only talking about my own direct experiences.  My beliefs, most of which lie at the core of my identity, are what make up who I am.  Conflicting beliefs causes changes which we call growth.  Having experiences and gaining more knowledge often lead to such growth. 

So, why we're "arguing" I have no idea.  I still say we're having two different conversations.  The logic you're trying to apply to what I'm talking about is what's confusing.  I don't see how your descriptions and definitions and analogies have anything to do with how and why hemi-sync or the imagination method techniques work.  If you do, that's fine.  But I'm not pretending to misunderstand you.  I'm not playing games.  I just think we don't see eye to eye on the whole concept of the discussion of methodology.

WWW 198267046870499  
IP Logged

Morrighan

Multidimensional Navigator

Isle of Everywhere
Reply #67 - Jun 25th, 2017 at 3:07pm

Beliefs are subjective things.

And I know people who believe cookies for breakfast is appropriate. But beliefs don't affect empirical knowledge. In my experience Hemi-sync works very well toward the intended outcomes. So do Bruce's methods. And others as well. They're all ways to get started. At some point we ditch the tricycle for training wheels. Then ditch the training wheels for a two-wheeler. And then we realize we never really needed the bike ....

If you push something hard enough, it will fall over — Fudd's First Law of Opposition.
It goes in — it must come out. — Teslacles Deviant to Fudd's First Law
IP Logged

Vicky
YaBB Administrator

Colorado
Reply #68 - Jun 25th, 2017 at 3:15pm

Morrighan wrote on Jun 25th, 2017 at 3:07pm:
Beliefs are subjective things.

And I know people who believe cookies for breakfast is appropriate. But beliefs don't affect empirical knowledge. In my experience Hemi-sync works very well toward the intended outcomes. So do Bruce's methods. And others as well. They're all ways to get started. At some point we ditch the tricycle for training wheels. Then ditch the training wheels for a two-wheeler. And then we realize we never really needed the bike ....

So true.  Now there's a great analogy!

Wink

WWW 198267046870499  
IP Logged

DocM

Reply #69 - Jun 25th, 2017 at 8:47pm

So, to say that there is an "illusion" of hemisync is a misunderstanding of how it works.  When two different frequencies are presented to each ear, the brain integrates them and produces a heard thrid "sound" heard of the summation frequency.  Sort of a resonance.  When objective EEGs were studied in early hemisync research, the brainwave patterns recorded in patients listening to binaural beats, the EEG (brainwave recordings), mirrored the hemisync summation frequencies.  In other words, if the frequency was 20 hz in one ear and 15 hz in the other, a frequency of 5 hz was often recorded on EEG studies.

To call this an "illusion" when objective studies were done, is therefore is not accurate.  The brain can be thought of as a biological machine.  As such, if a resonance or subtraction/summation frequency occurs as a result of processing in the corpus callosum (literally the neural connection between the hemispheres), this should not be dismissed as an illusion.  The author of the Wikipedia article cited, uses the term illusion, but that is their description; one which appears to be somewhat inaccurate.

Furthermore, it does seem to serve a belief system to conclude that the technology itself must be less real in some way due to the very nature of hemisync. 

At least some preliminary have studied binaural beats in peer reviewed scientific journals.  Many spiritual practices are not subject to this kind of objective research.

This is another instance where i think it is fair to say that a person can easily try out and explore with hemisync/binaural beats when meditating and decide for themself.  Or, alternatively, they can say it is "not for them," but then, why criticize it?

M

IP Logged

Vicky
YaBB Administrator

Colorado
Reply #70 - Jun 25th, 2017 at 8:58pm

DocM wrote on Jun 25th, 2017 at 8:47pm:
So, to say that there is an "illusion" of hemisync is a misunderstanding of how it works.  When two different frequencies are presented to each ear, the brain integrates them and produces a heard thrid "sound" heard of the summation frequency.  Sort of a resonance.  When objective EEGs were studied in early hemisync research, the brainwave patterns recorded, mirrored the hemisync summation frequencies.  In other words, if the frequency was 20 hz in one ear and 15 hz in the other, a frequency of 5 hz was often recorded on EEG studies.

To call this an "illusion" when objective studies were done, is therefore is not accurate.  The brain can be thought of as a biological machine.  As such, if a resonance or subtraction/summation frequency occurs as a result of processing in the corpus callosum, this should not be dismissed as an illusion. 

Furthermore, it does seem to serve a belief system to conclude that the technology itself must be less real in some way due to the very nature of hemisync. 

At least some preliminary have studied binaural beats in peer reviewed scientific journals.  Many spiritual practices are not subject to this kind of objective research.

This is another instance where i think it is fair to say that a person can easily try out and explore with hemisync/binaural beats when meditating and decide for themself.  Or, alternatively, they can say it is "not for them," but then, why criticize it?

M

Thanks for putting it into a logical and scientific explanation Matthew.  I understand the basics of the subtraction/summation frequency, but I guess I never thought of it as being something that they can actually record with an EEG and see it. 

So Matthew, do you know what if anything else was gained or learned from these kinds of scientific research studies?  I'm only familiar with it for the technology for the purpose of what TMI teaches, but not aware of in what other ways this is useful.

As a side note, I bought some various Hemi-Sync CDs and the brain wave entrainments (delta, theta, alpha, and gamma) and gave them to my medical oncologist.  He's very much into many spiritual beliefs and practices.  He had never heard of any of this and was really fascinated by it, although he has admitted he still hasn't "dared" to try listening to any of it.  I've assured him that it's not going to do any damage to his brain or change him in some way. 
Smiley

WWW 198267046870499  
IP Logged

DocM

Reply #71 - Jun 25th, 2017 at 10:47pm

Most of the studies are preliminary showing benefits of binaural beats to treat anxiety, help with concentration, help ease chronic pain, help to treat headache, fibromyalgia pain, and the like. 

There are claims that binaural beats (Hemisync is the trademarked name given by Robert Monroe's group) can treat whatever ails you; and youtube.com you can find different frequencies touted as healing nerve endings, treating headache, stress, etc.

The EEG studies are there, which show that the actual EEG pattern is effected by the binaural beat.

IP Logged

Morrighan

Isle of Everywhere
Reply #72 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 2:30pm

DocM wrote on Jun 25th, 2017 at 10:47pm:
Most of the studies are preliminary showing benefits of binaural beats to treat anxiety, help with concentration, help ease chronic pain, help to treat headache, fibromyalgia pain, and the like. 

There are claims that binaural beats (Hemisync is the trademarked name given by Robert Monroe's group) can treat whatever ails you; and youtube.com you can find different frequencies touted as healing nerve endings, treating headache, stress, etc.

The EEG studies are there, which show that the actual EEG pattern is effected by the binaural beat.

And yet, just a tool.

An effective tool; a demonstrably proven tool; but still a tool. It is we who bear the responsibility of wielding such a tool, and the responsibility of what we create with it. The greatest good is rarely (if ever) the greatest good in my experience.

If you push something hard enough, it will fall over — Fudd's First Law of Opposition.
IP Logged

Vicky
YaBB Administrator

Colorado
Reply #73 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 2:39pm

Morrighan wrote on Jun 26th, 2017 at 2:30pm:
DocM wrote on Jun 25th, 2017 at 10:47pm:

And yet, just a tool.

An effective tool; a demonstrably proven tool; but still a tool. It is we who bear the responsibility of wielding such a tool, and the responsibility of what we create with it. The greatest good is rarely (if ever) the greatest good in my experience.

The word "springboard" comes to mind for me.  Something to help get you going, moving. 

Many years ago and friend and I decided we'd do an experiment.  We'd each listen to a Theta CD each night for two weeks.  I tell ya, after that we didn't need the CD anymore!  But we also needed a break.  That was kind of an overkill of immersion.

WWW 198267046870499  
IP Logged

Morrighan

Isle of Everywhere
Reply #74 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 5:16pm

And always a good idea to check for water in the pool before the springboard commit ....  Huh

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.