Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The great divide (Read 16948 times)

Re: The great divide
Reply #15 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 4:15am

Uno wrote on Jun 20th, 2017 at 2:42pm:
Thanks for the comments and food for thought 1796.

"My three best male friends are Christian atheists."

Believes in God but doesn't act like he exists, had not thought about the term Christian atheist before. I've grown a faith in God gradually, and have started to realize that creation is awesome, in the true sense of the word. I used to consider Jesus as an astral creation due to people giving energy to an image of what they believe in, but have become open to at least the possibility that there is more to it, quite opposite of the past. I simply cannot deny the teaching you have presented about love and forgiveness, it makes too much sense and there is so much heart to it. I'm contented to be around Christians now and I'm glad there are unconventional Christians too.

Actually, I mean those friends are atheists who consider themselves Christians because they believe in the moral teachings of the new testament.

The Virgin Mary is largely a thought form like that, but she has become a living force with a life of her own. Her occult history is fascinating. I might write about it one day.

Regarding my teachings. Mostly I just define terms, then let the definitions teach by themselves.
Nearly all of teaching any subject well is definitions, because everything there is to know about something is contained within its definition.

Liars and those who shy from truth dislike definitions, and avoid defining their terms. They prefer flexible language so they can be vague and slippery. If we speak the truth and define our terms as we go, then the opposition gets annoyed indeed.

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #16 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 9:15am

1796 wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 4:15am:
Actually, I mean those friends are atheists who consider themselves Christians because they believe in the moral teachings of the new testament.

Have you informed them what it means to be a Christian? An atheist who follows the moral principles of Christ is still just an atheist and is no more saved than any other atheist. Faith in Christ is not optional!

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 9:37am

I Am Dude wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 9:15am:
1796 wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 4:15am:

Have you informed them what it means to be a Christian? An atheist who follows the moral principles of Christ is still just an atheist and is no more saved than any other atheist. Faith in Christ is not optional!

Let me play the devil's advocate. Tell me:

What does it mean to be Christian?

Saved? Saved from what?

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #18 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 10:05am

I believe that being a Christian means that you truly desire to live like Christ because you have compete faith in his deity and sacrifice for your sins. When we put our trust in Christ as our God and savior we are saved from God's just punishment for a life of debauchery and sin by the endowment of His grace, being made righteous not of our own acts but by the love and glory of God. These are perhaps the most fundamental of Christian concepts. I thought you were a Christian?

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

IP Logged

Uno

ALK Member

Reply #19 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 10:34am

Dude,

Quote:
Since surrendering myself to God and putting my faith in Christ, I've seen more tangible spiritual growth and had more profound spiritual experiences in a matter of months than I experienced in over a decade of meditation, out of body travel, occult/metaphysical studies and other "spiritual" practices. I say this not to brag or even talk about myself, but to witness to you that He is the truth and the way so that you may one day be with Him too.

I'm glad to be a witness of your good news and I wish you well as you continue to grow.

Slow but determined, that's me in a nutshell, and I trust that I'll be able to discern the good and proper way forward.

Quote:
I thought you were a Christian?

Devils advocate - arguing a position you do support genuinely, even if just a little bit. It's not necessarily arguing 'for' or 'against' - it could be either, or none. 1796 is first and foremost an Aussie, and/or a lover of bacon.

Kidding of course, but on a more serious note I've thought about a starting a thread with atheist/non-Christian questions directed at any Christians who would like to answer.

If you claim there is no truth and in the same breath claim that is the truth, you are a leftist.

IP Logged

seagullresting

ALK Member

USA
Reply #20 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 2:59pm

I have not viewed everything on this thread. Just a few. Seems like an interesting assortment.

Just a quick aside to Dude.

Dude, if you were born in some part of this world in which you would not have been exposed to Christianity, or any religion, how would you progress?

My thought: most likely, by trial and error, and by moments of inspiration, wherever they might be.

Life has a number of peak moments. If this is one for you, then I can respect that. It doesn't mean I will choose your way, and that's okay too.

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #21 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 3:40pm

If one fails to consider the possible ramifications of ignoring God's word and rejecting Christ's sacrifice for our sins, then I can see why one would think such a path is acceptable. However, if the Bible is true, then this person will eventually run into trouble.

IP Logged

seagullresting

ALK Member

USA
Reply #22 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 3:54pm

Yes, a person might run into trouble. In any case, people do run into trouble, in general. I have been in big trouble lots of times. Most of the time, it would be through my own choices made out of lack of experience or understanding. I am okay with that.

IP Logged

Recoverer 2

ALK Member

South San Francisco
Reply #23 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 5:41pm

I do not believe it is possible to fully love someone, not even God, if one feels as if one better do so or else.

When someone has something absolutely wonderful to offer, such as God's love, there is no need of bringing fear into the equation in order for another to accept what someone has to offer.

When a Soul reaches the point where it is able to clearly see what is available, it will be too joyous to be thinking in terms of fear.

When I experience divine love and peace, and the very sensible wisdom it includes, it doesn't seem as if fear has a place.

Or in other words, when one clearly understands what God has to offer, fear doesn't play a role in accepting what is offered.

What God has to offer is so wonderful, he doesn't need to contrast it to something such as hell in order to get people to choose it.

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #24 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 6:14pm

seagullresting wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 3:54pm:
Yes, a person might run into trouble. In any case, people do run into trouble, in general. I have been in big trouble lots of times. Most of the time, it would be through my own choices made out of lack of experience or understanding. I am okay with that.

Indeed. This is why the promise of Christ is so incredible. It's a promise of eternal liberation from this trouble, and from our own troublesome nature. I'm not so sure you'd be okay with the alternative that He gives us.

IP Logged

seagullresting

ALK Member

USA
Reply #25 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 6:32pm

That's really okay too. There are lots of times in this life when I didn't like the alternative. It turned out to be an interesting road anyway. No real regrets. If I'm too late for the party then I'll just go hang out where I can be happy and not bother anyone. Surely he won't have a problem with that.

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #26 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 6:32pm

Quote:
I've thought about a starting a thread with atheist/non-Christian questions directed at any Christians who would like to answer.

Uno, I think it would be great for you to start a thread in the Religions discussion forum.  You ask good questions. Smiley

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

I Am Dude

Reply #27 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 6:46pm

seagullresting wrote on Jun 21st, 2017 at 6:32pm:
That's really okay too. There are lots of times in this life when I didn't like the alternative. It turned out to be an interesting road anyway. No real regrets. If I'm too late for the party then I'll just go hang out where I can be happy and not bother anyone. Surely he won't have a problem with that.

God loves you enough to not force you to be with Him. However, considering that all love comes from God, choosing complete separation from Him probably wouldn't be the wisest choice if happiness is what you seek. I don't believe there can be any real happiness without love.

IP Logged

seagullresting

ALK Member

USA
Reply #28 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 9:22pm

I believe that is a beautiful sentiment. I was about to launch into an explanation that a woman can always seek out the Buddha for sanctuary. The Buddha is always her refuge. However, I am open to other beliefs and great noble causes.

IP Logged

Reply #29 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 6:16am

Yes Dude, I am Christian. I asked those questions to better understand you.

Did you become Christian recently? I would like to know how it occurred.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.