Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Channeling: The Problem of Verification Claims (Read 35608 times)
TheDonald

ALK Member

Channeling: The Problem of Verification Claims
Jun 1st, 2017 at 10:02pm

Several years ago, Bruce Moen made this claim in response to my thread:  "We could each cite historical examples to support real contact or false contact by mediums in the past to support our own hypothesis."  This thread reposts my reply.  I'm resurrecting this thread as a counterpart to my thread on issue of spiritual self-deception vs. an honest quest for spiritual truth.

I don’t believe the distinction between “real contact” and “false contact” is as clear-cut as Bruce seems to feel.  In my view, the answers to the ensuing 4 questions cast a pall of suspicion over ALL channeling. It is not impossible that mediums like Gordon Smith channel deceased souls.  For that matter, it is not impossible that the Apollo moon landing was faked in a New Mexico hangar to gain a propganda advantage over the Soviet Union.   But mere ESP or clairvoyance seems a more plausible explanation of the best of channeling in view of the evidence cited in my replies to (1)-(4):

(1) What if sitters request contact with fake deceased relatives and the mediums still oblige with a very impressive channeling?               

(2) Bruce seems to imagine that channeled materials unknown to anyone living provide convincing evidence of contact with the dead.  But what if a drop-in communicator could provide amazing verifications even involving precognition of the future, and yet, be later proven a fraud?

(3) What if the spirit control of mediums with impressive verifications can be proven to be a fraud?   What conclusion would that warrant about other spirit controls whose self-professed identity cannot be verified?            

(4) What if it can be shown that the attribution of channeled materials to discarnate friends and relatives reflects a culturally conditioned bias?   

Channeling can be significantly called into question on all 4 grounds.

(1) Leonore Piper is one of the most impressive mediums ever.   She seemed to have the uncanny ability to channel two entities at the same time, one through automatic writing and the other through entranced speech.   Psychologist G. Stanley Hall had a trick up his sleeve when he went for a sitting with her.    She was currently using the spirit of Richard Hodgson as her control.   Hodgson had formerly investigated her, but had recently died of a massive heart attack.  Hall asked Hodgson's spirit to contact Hall’s niece, “Bessie Beals,” so that he might speak with her.  Miss Beals was duly introduced and proceeded to communicate with Hall through Mrs. Piper.  Actually Bessie Beals did not exist.  She was a figment of Hall’s mind.  “Hodgson,” in embarrassment tried to wriggle out of the situation, saying that he had been mistaken about the name.  He said that the person brought was a Jessie Beals, related to another sitter.  Dr. Samuel Soal visualized incidents with an imaginary friend, John Ferguson.  He then went for a sitting with the medium, Blanche Cooper.  The incidents he visualized came forth as though communicated by John from beyond death! 

(2) At a sitting with medium Blanche Cooper on Jan. 4 ,1922, Dr. Samuel Soal’s deceased brother unexpectedly said, “Sam, I’ve brought someone who knows you.”  Then in a very clear, strong, and familiar voice, Gordon Davis began to speak through Cooper.  Davis was an old school acquaintance whom Soal believed to have been killed during World War I.  Davis seemed to verify this when he said, “My poor wife is my only concern now--and my kiddie.”  Soal thought he recognized Davis' tone of voice with its fastidious accent.  The communicator used forms of expression that typified the real Gordon Davis' speech  (e.g. “old chap”; “confab” instead of “meeting”).  Davis spoke of the school they had attended, Rochford, and provided details of their last conversation.  He proceeded to refer correctly to persons, places, and events from their school days.  At two ensuing sittings on Jan. 9 and 30, 1922, Davis gave a detailed description of his house, its contents, and the arrangement of its contents.   

To his great surprise, Soal learned in 1925 that Davis was still alive after all and went to visit him.  A great deal of the channeled material about the house proved to be correct.  But Davis and his "wife and kiddie” had not moved into the house until over a year after the relevant sitting!  Davis' diary showed that during Soal’s sittings he had been seeing real estate clients.  Only around the  time of the sittings did Davis even inspect this house for the first time.   But Davis did not move into the house until a year later.  More importantly, the furnishings of the house had not been planned in advance!  Yet the details channeled earlier turned out to be correct: a large mirror, lots of paintings, glorious mountain and sea scenes, very big vases with funny saucers, two brass candlesticks, and a black dickie bird.  Two of the paintings were only done after the sittings!  So much of the material channeled in the later sittings about the house must be ascribed to precognitive telepathy (John Heaney, 176-177). 

Why is channeling not discredited in this way more often?  Well, ask yourself how often you are mistakenly informed that your friend has died.   Was the medium able to exploit Soal’s mistaken faith in Davis’ death as an aid in the process of reconstructing Davis’ personality and future by precognitive telepathy?  Or were the medium (Blanche Cooper) and sitter (Sam Soal) duped by an impersonating spirit?

If you ask what sort of test might favor spirit contact over ESP and clairvoyance as an explanation of channeled material, the answer is the demonstration of a skill lacked by the medium (e. g. xenoglossy).  That is, if a channeled entity can respond to questions posed to the medium in a language unknown to that medium, then mere ESP cannot adequately explain this.  Research has shown that ESP does not extend to a full-blown new skill.  But it must be remembered that xenoglossy is a prime criterion for demonic possession.   So the possibility of an impersonating spirit must be taken into account in such cases.  My reply to question (3) and (4) are important here.

(3) Some spirit controls seem clearly fraudulent.  While Richard Hodgson was still alive, he thoroughly investigated one of Leonore Piper's spirit controls named Phinuit in 1892.  The Phinuit persona claimed to be the spirit of a French doctor whose full name was Jean Phinuit Scliville and who had lived in the early 1800s and had practiced medicine in London, France, and Belgium.  But he was unable to speak more than a few French phrases, displayed no more knowledge of medicine than the average layman, and had never (according to medical records) attended the medical schools at which he claimed to have studied and practiced.  Hodgson initially concluded that Phinuit was just a secondary personality of Mrs. Piper which either erroneously believed itself to be or falsely pretended to be the spirit of a deceased French doctor.   But Hodgson later changed his mind and now concluded that some of the material produced in a trance by Mrs. Piper seemd to go beyond what might be obtained by thought transference from the sitters and thus seemed to suggest real contact with the dead. In his words, “Among these (comunicators) are more than half-a-dozen intimate friends of my own, who have produced upon me the impression...that they are the personalities I knew, with characteristic intelligence and emotion, questioning me and conversing with me under difficulties.”  It seems doubtful that Hodgson would have changed his mind if he had lived to discover the Gordon Davis case.

(4) Shamans understand their mediumship to put them in contact with spirits and demons as well as with deceased people.  In earlier centuries Neoplatonists also practiced trance mediumship, but attributed it to the agency of gods or demons rather than to discarnate humans.   Likewise, witches from the 17th and 18th centuries ascribed their channeled material to demons.  Perhaps the modern attempt to identify spirit controls with deceased personalities reflects the wishful thinking of modern cultural prejudice.  Why is Leonora Piper’s spirit control (Phinuit) lying about his true identity?  Why did Sam Soal’s alleged brother lie about bringing Gordon Davis’ spirit through?   Or were these people simply deceived?

Don

IP Logged

DocM

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Re: Channeling: The Problem of Verification Claims
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2017 at 10:36pm

A fascinating topic, Don.

I think the cases you raise do point to a problem with a straightforward interpretation of a deceased spirit giving verifiable information through a medium.  But for me, the more fascinating aspect of your stories is that the verifiable information could be obtained in any way, shape or form.  ESP (extra sensory perception) deals with communication of thought or information in the mind (which is a medium not measurable by current scientific means).

What if the information tapped into by mediums is the equivalent of the "Akashic records" or quantum mind or library of all events and thought.  In other words, we are used to thinking of ourselves as separate individuals, yet in a deeper level, we know that we are all part of a greater unity.  Many forms of Eastern and Western thought believe that it is only our false "ego" which causes us to separate ourselves into perceived isolated entities - which in turn often accounts for much of the suffering we encounter on the earthly plane.  Don, you may say that this discussion brings up my "monist" tendencies (and you would be correct).

So what if the medium tapped into the mind or circumstance of a still living person in the future (Don's example of Gordon Davis)?  Well we do know that means it was not a communication with a deceased loved one.  So in that sense, it is fraudulent.  But the accuracy of the communication leads one to believe that there was a direct communication of factual data through a connection with a larger consciousness or mind.  To me, this is no less of an amazing or transcendent experience than an after death communication.  It tells us that there is a realm of thought that can be accessed that contains information about our earthly experiences, past present and future. 

The point against putting faith in mediums is well taken.  Very often, people receive comforting information that they want to hear; their loved one is safe, happy or that they should move on.  However  the ease at which the spirit is summoned and the second hand nature of the communication does call into question the veracity of the experience.

Bruce has advised people explore for themselves, on their own.  In other words, look for the experience, and make it a  "known".  That is much more direct and convincing (in my opinion).  If you experience a direct communication from a loved one, on some level you simply know that it was real.  You call the loved one into your mind's eye, your thought, and if you are lucky enough to experience contact, no one will be able to convince you otherwise. 

Eben Alexander's NDE convinced him, beyond doubt of the nature of his experience; so did the NDE of countless others.

I haven't seen many on this board champion mediums as a preferred way to get first hand experience. I do think the questions you raise are valid.

Matthew

IP Logged

Vicky
YaBB Administrator

Colorado
Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2017 at 11:59pm

Don,

A serious question from me...

What's your continued interest in discussing this topic?  What are you looking for by doing this?  And why on Bruce's site?

Author of Persephone's Journey (Amazon.com)

http://www.vickyshort.blogspot.com/
WWW 198267046870499  
IP Logged

TheDonald

ALK Member

Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2017 at 12:38am

Vicky: "A serious question from me...What's your continued interest in discussing this topic?  What are you looking for by doing this?  And why on Bruce's site?"

I must say I'm surprised that you could even ask this question.  For 3 reasons:
(1) Bruce begins the AK forum with a thread entitled "Looking for a Good, Certified Medium?"  In that thread, he alludes to the difficulties in assessing mediums' claims of contact with the dead. 
(2) Presumably a forum entitled "Afterlife Knowledge" invites a discussion of reliable and unreliable methods of gaining such knowledge.
(3) My further responses to my thread, "Honest Spiritual Quests Vs. Self-Deception," will explain why conflicting types of evidence from astral exploration, perception, and memory challenge the claim that reliable information of the afterlife can be gained by direct experience.
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2017 at 3:52am by TheDonald »  

IP Logged

Recoverer 2

ALK Member

South San Francisco
Reply #4 - Jun 2nd, 2017 at 11:04am

Don:

I didn't read what you wrote, but I pretty much know from past experience what you are going to say.

Some of us have told you in the past that through making contact with our love-based spirit friends "for years," we don't need the kind of verifications you speak of. Such experience means much more than the approach you outline. Since what we said didn't mean anything to you, it seems as if you have no interest in learning from us. This being the case, why should we have any interest in learning from you?

It is quite obvious to me that your reason for being here is to try to convert everybody to your way of thinking,  such a way doesn't give much credence to what Bruce Moen wrote. If you read his books with a mind that isn't limited by your preconceptions, you might benefit by some of what he says.

I would never go to a forum of a teacher I have little interest in, and attempt a hostile takeover, as you do here with the assistance of people such as Roger, Dude and 1796. If you don't understand why it is wrong to do such a thing, then I wonder if your discrimination is clear enough to help others. I recommended to Bruce that you be banned from this forum. I believe the same is true for Dude, Roger and 1796. Of course it is completely up to Bruce to decide what to do, and I respect whatever his decision is, since "he" "not anybody else" is the creator of this forum.

You know I'm not a big fan of some sources of channeling...yet, I don't speak of these now, because I believe there is a more important issue to speak of now.

Dude, if you want to say I am being disrespectful because  being respectful is so important to you, please be fair about this and point out when Don, Roger and 1796 have been disrespectful. 1796 returned just so he could take an indirect pot shot at Justin, and you said nothing.

IP Logged

DocM

Reply #5 - Jun 2nd, 2017 at 12:03pm

Albert and Vicky,

I have to say that I think this thread is totally appropriate and does not appear to be designed to undermine a belief in the afterlife.  Don is basically analyzing experiences with mediums in a factual and critical way.  He is not saying that due to any religious belief we should avoid mediums, etc.

An open spirited conversation should always be welcomed.  I haven't seen a response to my ideas on the subject. This thread does not paint all mediums as frauds, but raises questions about what information is being obtained and from what source. 

Matthew

IP Logged

Recoverer 2

ALK Member

South San Francisco
Reply #6 - Jun 2nd, 2017 at 12:45pm

Doc:

I'm not considering this post in isolation. I'm speaking of numerous threads that have gone on for years.

Bruce took the time to do the exploration he did, he wrote five books, got them published, gained some notoriety, and then started this site.

If Don wants a forum that serves the purpose of promoting his form of Christianity and putting down ways of understanding that include things such as hollow heavens, Disks, retrievals and PUL, then perhaps he should find some way to gain his own notoriety, perhaps by writing a book, so he could start his own forum and advocate his viewpoints there, rather than take over the forum of a person that didn't have the same goals as himself.

Remember, one of the commandments states that people should not steal from others.

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #7 - Jun 2nd, 2017 at 12:59pm

I have to say that I agree with Matthew. 

I also have not seen Don violate any posting guidelines, however I have seen both you, Albert and Justin violate the guidelines numerous times over the past few weeks.  You continually make personal attacks as well as take interesting and appropriate threads off track because of you making assumptions based on your own preconceived ideas rather than engaging in the conversation with an open minded spirit of kindness and respect.

Kathy

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

rondele

ALK Member

Virginia
Reply #8 - Jun 2nd, 2017 at 1:57pm

"I would never go to a forum of a teacher I have little interest in, and attempt a hostile takeover, as you do here with the assistance of people such as Roger, Dude and 1796. If you don't understand why it is wrong to do such a thing, then I wonder if your discrimination is clear enough to help others. I recommended to Bruce that you be banned from this forum. I believe the same is true for Dude, Roger and 1796."

Here we go again. Albert, it appears your only objective is to continually disrupt the forum via ad hominen attacks. I resent the spurious accusations you direct toward me and others. I'm assisting in a hostile takeover of the forum as is 1796 and Dude? Post the links pls. 1796 just returned after a long absence. How is he doing that, by osmosis?

If Vicky allows this sort of paranoid nonsense from you to continue, it'll be the forum that suffers. Things were returning to normal after your friend left, I guess you couldn't deal with that.

R

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #9 - Jun 2nd, 2017 at 2:22pm

To try to get this thread back on track.

Don, as Matthew mentioned, the questions you raise are valid and deserve to be explored.

I agree with you that ESP does seem a more plausible explanation of channeling where most contacts are made with records or memory held within a database of consciousness rather than an actual entity that's been "summoned" to provide direct interaction, though direct contact is a possibility, just an unlikely one, especially after a year or so has passed.

I think many times what a person "sees" in the non-physical realm is a "representation" or image of the person they are trying to contact, not the actual deceased person because that person has likely moved on, especially if some time has passed since their death.  When we interact with stored information of a person's life, it makes sense that an image of that person would appear to us as a means for interaction.  The idea that this is what occurs need not take anything away from one being reassured their loved one is just fine.  God is benevolent after all.  His ways are not necessarily what we may think.

ES spoke a great deal about symbols, representations and correspondences.  Since the non-physical realm has no objects, it makes sense that what we see there is a representation or is symbolic of the information we desire as a means of communication.  In Arcana Coelestia 4044 ES says, "Representations are nothing else than images of spiritual things manifested in natural ones, and when the former are accurately represented in the latter they correspond."  He goes on to say if we want to understand a symbol or representation that we should look to what is inside of us.  "But if he will reflect on the things taking place every moment within himself he will be able to gain some concept of them… These actions are able to provide some idea of representations and correspondences."

K

Tread softly through life with a tender heart and a gentle, understanding spirit.

IP Logged

Bruce Moen
YaBB Administrator

YaBB Admin Land
Reply #10 - Jun 2nd, 2017 at 2:27pm

The Donald,

Don't you ever get tired of regurgitating and rehashing of your own old material?  It just feels for me, and some others here, like the continuous barrage of your personal beliefs and self superiority.  Your method for the most part is to pretend you understand the beliefs of someone else, Bob Monroe, me or others you disagree with.  Then you gin up a straw-man argument against those beliefs that conflict with yours, then you destroy the straw-man, and in doing so either imply or state that your beliefs are true and the other person's are wrong.

I for one am getting tired of your long diatribes  professing your superiority with your twisted logic arguments.  I'd like to suggest you post your belittling, self aggrandizing material on your own website because, frankly, I am sick of it.

TheDonald wrote on Jun 1st, 2017 at 10:02pm:

But mere ESP or clairvoyance seems a more plausible explanation of the best of channeling in view of the evidence cited in my replies to (1)-(4):

You start with one of your typical, straw-man arguments.  Don, "mere ESP or clairvoyance" CAN be used to explain the method by which a person might perceive verifiable, previously unknown information from a deceased person, but this fact cannot explain the origin such verifiable information.  Don, you have used a misleading straw-man argument to pretend that calling it "mere ESP or clairvoyance" eliminates the possibility that the contact and information are real.   One thing as nothing to do with the other.  Don, they don't.

(1) What if sitters request contact with fake deceased relatives and the mediums still oblige with a very impressive channeling?

A little research on thought forms might be useful for you, Don.  And again, you resort to a straw-man argument.  An "impressive channeling" that does not include veritably, real information is not at all what I am talking about.

(2) Bruce seems to imagine that channeled materials unknown to anyone living provide convincing evidence of contact with the dead.

No Don, I do not "seem to imagine" that.  What I call my Basic Premise in workshops is.

1.  If you can find a way to make contact and communicate with a person who is known to be deceased . . .

2.If you can obtain information from this deceased person you have absolutely no other way of knowing except by this contact and communication . . .

3.  If you can verify that the information real, you have not really proven anything, yet.

4.  But you have obtained some evidence, thru your own direct experience, that this deceased person continues to exist, some where.

But what if a drop-in communicator could provide amazing verifications even involving precognition of the future, and yet, be later proven a fraud?

Another straw-man bites the dust.  If the information was later prove to be fraudulent, it was not verified, was it.

(3) What if the spirit control of mediums with impressive verifications can be proven to be a fraud?   What conclusion would that warrant about other spirit controls whose self-professed identity cannot be verified? 

A whole bunch of straw-men.   Don, none of what you describe here has anything to do with information that meets the Basic Premise criteria participants use in the workshops.  Typically over 90% of participants in any given workshop fulfill the Basic Premise, both in the role of "medium" and in the role of "sitter."

Don, going thru the rest of your straw-man filled diatribe is, for me, senseless.  I do wish you would either find something useful to post about, or post your diatribes on your own website.

Bruce 

IP Logged

Recoverer 2

ALK Member

South San Francisco
Reply #11 - Jun 2nd, 2017 at 5:43pm

Roger:

Bruce wrote his fifth book and holds workshops with the thought that people can find out for themselves what the spirit world is about, by having their own experiences.

You, Don and Dude on the other hand state that people shouldn't have OBEs  or try to make contact with the spirit world in some other way, because people are likely to get fooled by demons. Going by what Don writes, and how you and Dude support him (add Kathy to the list?), one should instead rely on Don's Biblical interpretations, and the portions of Emanuel Swedenborg's teachings that Don approves.

I figure that some people find this site because they read Bruce's books, and they want to find out more. Instead, to a large extent, they find numerous posts by Don, where he  provides Biblical interpretations, and inaccurate and close-minded interpretations of the experiences of Bruce Moen and Robert Monroe.

I figure that if this is what people are looking for, they would've searched a Bible forum that says things such as "you shouldn't interact with the spirit world."

rondele wrote on Jun 2nd, 2017 at 1:57pm:
"I would never go to a forum of a teacher I have little interest in, and attempt a hostile takeover, as you do here with the assistance of people such as Roger, Dude and 1796. If you don't understand why it is wrong to do such a thing, then I wonder if your discrimination is clear enough to help others. I recommended to Bruce that you be banned from this forum. I believe the same is true for Dude, Roger and 1796."

Here we go again. Albert, it appears your only objective is to continually disrupt the forum via ad hominen attacks. I resent the spurious accusations you direct toward me and others. I'm assisting in a hostile takeover of the forum as is 1796 and Dude? Post the links pls. 1796 just returned after a long absence. How is he doing that, by osmosis?

If Vicky allows this sort of paranoid nonsense from you to continue, it'll be the forum that suffers. Things were returning to normal after your friend left, I guess you couldn't deal with that.

R

IP Logged

Lights of Love

Reply #12 - Jun 2nd, 2017 at 7:26pm

Albert, Vicky said she was giving everyone a clean slate, yet you continue to dwell in the past and cause trouble where there would be none.  Pestering Vicky and now Bruce when he is ill is shameful.

I don't know what list you're talking about.  Don has not violated any posting guidelines since he's returned to the forum.  If he had I would say so.

IP Logged

Recoverer 2

ALK Member

South San Francisco
Reply #13 - Jun 2nd, 2017 at 8:17pm

Kathy:

If you look at current forum history you'll see that Don continues to use this forum as a way to speak against things such as some of what Bruce wrote about (right here on this thread), and to promote his "alternative" Biblical views with a little Swedenborg added in.

If three people broke into a person's house, tried to run that house according to their agenda, and somebody spoke against this, would you call it shameful for such a person to do so? If yes, well then, I can't say that your definition of shameful is meaningful to me.

Lights of Love wrote on Jun 2nd, 2017 at 7:26pm:
Albert, Vicky said she was giving everyone a clean slate, yet you continue to dwell in the past and cause trouble where there would be none.  Pestering Vicky and now Bruce when he is ill is shameful.

I don't know what list you're talking about.  Don has not violated any posting guidelines since he's returned to the forum.  If he had I would say so.

IP Logged

Vicky
YaBB Administrator

Colorado
Reply #14 - Jun 2nd, 2017 at 9:03pm

TheDonald wrote on Jun 2nd, 2017 at 12:38am:
Vicky: "A serious question from me...What's your continued interest in discussing this topic?  What are you looking for by doing this?  And why on Bruce's site?"

I must say I'm surprised that you could even ask this question.  For 3 reasons:
(1) Bruce begins the AK forum with a thread entitled "Looking for a Good, Certified Medium?"  In that thread, he alludes to the difficulties in assessing mediums' claims of contact with the dead. 
(2) Presumably a forum entitled "Afterlife Knowledge" invites a discussion of reliable and unreliable methods of gaining such knowledge.
(3) My further responses to my thread, "Honest Spiritual Quests Vs. Self-Deception," will explain why conflicting types of evidence from astral exploration, perception, and memory challenge the claim that reliable information of the afterlife can be gained by direct experience.

You completely deleted your first response to my question.  Your first response said that you called it simple-minded and naive to trust one's own direct experience.  Too bad I didn't copy that response now that I see you've deleted it.

Why are you surprised I ask this question? 

1).  You use the same topic over and over on this site...and it seems your goal is to constantly and consistently try to change the minds of anyone who doesn't believe as you do.  It's obvious that you're not interested in Bruce Moen's work...you're merely using his work and his site as a means of propagating your own writings. 

2.)  You do not bring it up to discuss and hear other people's views.  You do not write in a sharing and conversational way.  Instead, you write speeches and then come post them here. 

3.)  You do not bring it up because you are in search of how to have your own direct experience.  You are on a mission to have people listen to you, not one of learning yourself.  You use the guise of acting as if you're doing people a service by telling them how they must properly discern the truth and telling them how it must be done.

4.). You are here to be an author...to write and be read, that's it. 

These are what I see of you Don.  So that's why I ask why you do this, what you get out of it, and why you are here on this site.  Even Bruce is tired of it.  What does that tell you Don?  Do you still want to continue what you're doing here?

Author of Persephone's Journey (Amazon.com)

http://www.vickyshort.blogspot.com/
WWW 198267046870499  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.