Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
has anyone read Robert Moss' work? (Read 3274 times)
Lucy

C1
has anyone read Robert Moss' work?
May 1st, 2015 at 1:16pm

Well this isn't about a dream but about a way of looking at dreams. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with Robert Moss's work and if so if it helps interpret dreams for you? or is it bunk?
His website is

http://www.mossdreams.com/

IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Re: has anyone read Robert Moss' work?
Reply #1 - May 21st, 2015 at 1:10pm

I got ahold of a couple of his books from the library. One is The Boy Who Died and Came Back. This is pretty interesting stuff. One thing that i interesting is that it sounds like he achieves with dreaming some of the same things you can do with hemi sync but I can't tell for certain (partly because I am successful with neither).

At any rate this si pretty interesting stuff, I'd recommend his book to anyone who enjoys studying their dreams. he says the individual is the only real authority on the meaning of hs/her dreams, a philosophy I agree with.

IP Logged

2bets

ALK Member

SE USA
Reply #2 - May 21st, 2015 at 7:40pm

Hi Lucy,

Agreed! although dream contents may share archetypal/universal symbols, the way they fit into an individual's life is so personal that it changes meanings, in my experience.

So when Moss interprets dreams, does he stop before he tells details and applications that get too individualized? I'm surprised people will pay for that but maybe since it is more than they knew before, they are still grateful. And the 'generalized'/ universal meanings prove there is a layer of meaning that we all share.

IP Logged

Lucy

C1
Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2015 at 2:41am

Hi Betsi !

not an easy question to answer, because this book is more biographical and Moss is high energy and all over the place with this stuff. He was a (monetarily) successful writer before he started sharing the dreamwork, so he is good at using words! He is definitely a verbal type. So he is clear in his writing but he also "talks" a lot!

(and I do not necessarily follow a linear route when I read a book so I have to try to recall where I read what).

He talks a lot aout his own experiences and the problem is that he has a great variety of dream experiences (William James would be impressed I bet!) and in this book many are excursions to "former" lives and so the interpretation gets ...complicated. What is symbolic and what is recreation of something physically accurate (I hesitate to use the word "real").

I think in the classes he teaches, he has people pair up and then he sends them into a dreamlike state using shamanic drumming, and they report shared dreams afterwards and of course get all excited. I think this validates for people that dreams have a lot of meaning. His "thing" is using the shamanic drumming with the dream state. I am not clear on exactly what that means but I get the idea.

In the biographical part, he writes about how Jung influenced him. So he is by example advocating writing down everything that can be remembred from a dream. I'm getting the impression that for both of them (Jung and Moss) it took a good bit of writing everything down before they could see the patterns that they could then interpret and understand.

I think this is the part that I have not understood and ccomplished about my own dreams...I long ago gave up recording them because the whole thing made no sense to me. But you can't take them one by one and attach an arbirary meaning to items in them. You have to keep workign with them and explore how they might show up in your life later on. Later = days? weeks? years? It isn't easy. But to discover your own symbols it isimportant to kep at it. (though sometims a little success would help motivation!)

Moss quotes Jung
"Dreams are the facts from which we must proceed."
(he discusses Jung on pages 72-75 if you happen to have a copy of the book)

Somehow it makes it easier knowing that JUNG sturggled with this ! and succeeded.

Another technique he mentions in passing is that....I think he might teach this in his classes...he asks that each person, when offering an interpretation of someone else's dream, begin by saying
"If it were my dream, then ..."
yada yada whatever the interpretation is.
And he seems to encourage people to interpret their own dreams rather than giving them his interpretation. Does that answer your question?

His own discussion of his own dreams is so woven into the fabric of his life that the word "interpretation" seems not quite the right one.

Well I obvously need to look at one of his "how to " books as opposed to this fascinating biographical stuff. he is so colorful and such an accomplished writier that it is hard to not ask if he is making some of this stuff up! Which is why I started the thread. Is this for real?

I'll stop for now with something he says (p. 143 in a chapter called "We are asleep until we are dreaming")

"...Dreaming is not fundamentally about what happens during sleep. It is about waking up to a deeper order of reality and finding ourselves at home in the multiverse."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.