Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kumare, a documentary worth watching (Read 3530 times)
a channel
Ex Member

Kumare, a documentary worth watching
Jul 19th, 2013 at 12:01am

Saw this on Netflix recently.  The creator of the film is a youngish American guy of Indian descent--his parents came to America from India.  He grew up in a very religious household and started to feel ever more estranged from his parents religion and religion and spirituality in general. 

Being very aware of how many fake and manipulative Gurus there are in India, as well as problems with various religious/spiritual leaders in general, he thought it might be an interesting social experiment and statement to dress up and pretend to be an Indian Guru temporarily and document people's reactions to him. 

He ultimately wants to teach people that they don't need a spiritual or religious authority figure.  For the most part, it was done tactfully and with compassion minus a couple of instances where i think he took it too far and was disrespectful.  Personally, i don't like deception in general and so i disagree with that on principle, but in a way he was teaching something that more people could take to heart. 

Btw, my personal view is that it's not so black and white, yes you should go within and become your own spiritual teacher, etc., but there are very good reasons of why people like Yeshua and Siddhartha incarnated and did what they did. I don't think humanity is beyond the need for good examples yet, but good and real spiritual teachers don't try to make you dependent on them and rather focus on giving you the tools and knowledge to help you to free yourself.  And above all, their purpose is to be a direct, living example of what attunement to expanded Consciousness looks and is like. 

By the end, it turns out that the young man playing "Kumare the Guru", may be more of a spiritual teacher than he realizes or would himself claim.   

IP Logged

jkeyes

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Tucson,Az
Re: Kumare, a documentary worth watching
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2013 at 1:49pm

Dear a channel , I was really impressed with PBS's current history of Budda which put me back on the right track of perspective regarding a refocusing of outer stuff back to inner knowledge.  I liked the fact that the Budda did not really hold to outside-self gurus or religious authority figures, including himself, but rather to the inner honesty of his heart.
Anyhow, that was my take on the show and it reminds me alot of your young guys spiritual journey.
Here's a link to the PBS Budda History: www.pbs.org/thebuddha/
What is the title of the young American's story?
Thanks, Jean

IP Logged

jkeyes

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Tucson,Az
Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2013 at 1:52pm

Sorry, the title was, Kumare the Guru
I'll check it out. Jean

IP Logged

a channel
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2013 at 12:31am

Thank you for the link Jean.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.