Copyrighted Logo

css menu by Css3Menu.com

Bruce's 5th book, a Home Study Course, is now available.
Books & Tapes by Bruce Moen
    Bruce's Blog now at http://www.afterlife-knowledge.com/blog....

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Holistic Benefits of Fasting (Read 14416 times)
Justin aka Vasya
Ex Member

Holistic Benefits of Fasting
Jan 19th, 2012 at 11:39am

Howdy folks--back for the temporary,

Fasting is a well known method, used since the most ancient of times, to not only heal the body physical but for those with a spiritual/consciousness focus, to help better align the body physical with the mental and spiritual aspects or levels of self and reality.  (how it does so, would take a small book to write to fully explain, and surprisingly, i'm not willing to write that just now)

I've had some limited experience with fasting in the past, but with more brief fasts--usually within 1 to 3 day period of time.  But recently, I was inspired by a few different factors to try a longer period.  One was the experience that my friend had told me about (and no, i'm not trying to physically levitate) with his some 22 day fast, two--i've decided to write a book, started it a week ago, and want to be as "Clear" as possible during writing it, and 3. it just felt like the right thing to do at this time (or in other words, nudges from Expanded self/Guidance). 

I originally set a goal for a 30 day all liquid fast, but when i told my wife that, she pointed out that her birthday fell within this period and she said no way jose are you not going to take me out and dine with me on my b-day.  Case closed.  Exclamation point for emphasis.

So, with my goals and hopes dashed against the hard and strong rocks of her Aquarian nature (and part of me secretly happy it was  Wink ), i decided to instead to do a full 7 day, all liquid fast.  Besides which, a more subtle "voice" wryly noted, "don't worry, you'll be doing plenty of fasting in the near future"

I'm on my 7th day, today, and happy to say, stuck with it completely the whole time, and on the 5th day after the hunger pangs, some weakness and headachyness left, i've started to feel clearer and clearer physically, mentally, and intuitively, as well as actually have more energy than before i began.  I know i have more energy, because i'm needing less sleep than i use to. 

In my next post, I will describe the specifically cleansing liquid diet that i've been using for any interested in this account.  Btw, i definitely don't recommend everyone trying something like this.  I'm starting off relatively somewhat healthy.   Someone with moderate to severe blood sugar issues may have problems or issues with extended fasts, especially if they don't do it right. 

IP Logged

Justin aka Vasya
Ex Member

Re: Holistic Benefits of Fasting
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 12:13pm

My cleansing and strengthening, all liquid diet fast: 

I've been using several liquid foods for this purpose, but the two main ones are a very modified version of the "Master Cleanse Diet", and a combo of 2:1 ratio of Spirulina and Perfect Food in water with a tablespoon of Alfalfa sourced Chlorophyll. 

Modified Master Cleanse Diet:

I used 2 bags of chamomile tea, 2 bags of "red Chai", 4 fresh organic Lemons, Filterted water, Cayenne Pepper, Florida's natural Orange Juice, and baking soda.

What I did was to brew a small pot of combined herbal tea in filtered water.  2 bags of Chamomile with 2 bags of "Red Chai" tea (Rooibos/Red tea with ginger, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, etc). 

I let that cool to room temp, and whilst waiting I scrubbed 4 organic Lemons with baking soda and hot water, then rolled them till soft. 

Put the now room temp cool tea in a large Mason glass canning type jar (like a half gallon size i think) with a small teaspoon of baking soda (mixed well), then juiced the fresh Lemon juice in same with seeds, then cut up the peels a bit and also put those in.  To all that i added a half a teaspoon of Cayenne pepper. 

Then I put enough filtered water in to fill the jar slightly more than half way.  To that, the rest added is orange juice.  Shaken up well and left at room temp for a bit, then refrigerated.

As already mentioned, the other drink (primarily in the morning) is the Green Super food and super Chlorophyll drink that i described earlier. 

Other Liquids:  Occasionally, less than every other day, I've taken a glass or two of Kefired Goat milk for the probiotics and the very, very easy to digest proteins. 

And i've allowed myself the indulgence of "Fake Coffee", which is Caffix with a pinch o' salt, a little real vanilla extract, about a teaspoon of mild flavor molasses,  about a teaspoon and a half of Grade A Dark Amber (formerly known as and called "Grade B") Maple Syrup, some Coconut Milk, and a bit of Goat Milk all mixed in boiling water in a large cup.   I usually have about two of these.  Coconut milk is great at killing Candida Albicans yeast specifically, which seems to be a huge problem in many developed nations whom take lots of antibiotics and eat a lot of high and processed sugar, starch, and general junk foods. 

All above liquid foods above were chosen and developed for their very cleansing and yet strengthening and very nutritious nature, minus the only somewhat cleansing, but good tasting "fake coffee" indulgence drink. 

During the fast, i've been trying to meditate more regularly as well, as well as getting lite exercise (mostly walking outdoors in nature).  Took an herbal laxative tea half way through.  Also have taken a Resveratrol complex some during the fast.

Really starting to feel VERY clear and radiant on all levels of being.  It's like the body and mind is starting to get "super charged" for a lack of a better way of putting it.  Bada bing, bada boom

IP Logged

DocM

Afterlife Knowledge Member

Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2012 at 11:17am

Hi Justin,

Most animal studies confirm the health benefits of decreasing caloric intake and its association with a healthier, longer life. 

I have been exploring alternative medicine and nutrition for years now.  What I am most impressed with is the notion of tonic herbal treatments.  There are tales from Asia of Taoist monks skilled in herbalism who eat very little, take a mixture of herbs, and by folklore, live for centuries.  Of course, this is myth, though if you google "Li Ching Yuen", there is a documented report of a taoist whose birth was recorded by the chinese government who may have lived over 190 years.

Certain roots such as astagalus have been shown to have rejuvenating effect in the test tube, preventing chromsomes from getting shorter.  The implication is that we can age more slowly.  The herbs I am most interest in are a combination of: astragalus, ginseng, schizandra, Ho Shou Wu (also called Fo ti) and mushrooms (especially Reishi, Shitake, etc.).  I'm also a big fan of green tea (supported by many scientific studies), resveratrol, and omega-3 oils.

I believe that taken in liquid extract form sold at many health food stores,  a small amount of these herbs can have an amazingly helpful effect.  Certainly they have been used safely in combinations in chinese traditional medicine for over 3000 years. 

I started taking a tincture (liquid extract) of Reishi, astragalus, and ginseng in tea twice a day, and feel tremendous energy.  I seem to walk better, and have more spring in my step. 

I continue to monitor the medical literature to see what is truly supported by clinical studies.  I do think that green foods, especially spinach, broccoli are essential (you mentioned the greens), and include them in my diet. 

I don't think any of us want to live forever in the physical form, but it would be nice to find a way to stay vital long into what is considered "old age."

Keep us up to date with your progress.

Best,

Matthew

IP Logged

Justin aka Vasya
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 10:30pm

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for the reply.  Funny that you mention Astragalus, as Becky meditated one time and asked what would be beneficial for me health wise, and one of the things she got back was that herb which to her knowledge, she didn't consciously know about and even the name seemed very unfamiliar (she had to sound it out several times in her head).  It's very possible that she saw or heard a brief blurb about it somewhere, sometime prior though.

Quote:
There are tales from Asia of Taoist monks skilled in herbalism who eat very little, take a mixture of herbs, and by folklore, live for centuries.  Of course, this is myth, though if you google "Li Ching Yuen", there is a documented report of a taoist whose birth was recorded by the chinese government who may have lived over 190 years.   

Interesting, but I wouldn't say "of course" either way.  I don't personally know, so I won't assume too much.  I do know that the guidance i've directly received has confirmed some of the more so called "out there" stuff found in say Monroe's and Cayce's work for example, about the possibility of living however long as one likes. 

The info i've been given about this indicates that it's primarily about very clear and consistent attunement to PUL Consciousness AND to a slightly lesser extent at the same time, treating the Temple the right way, with respect and consideration. 

True "holistic health" in other words. 

I'm a fan of most of the things you mentioned, except that i prefer White Tea to Green Tea because of taste, less caffeine, and seemingly more antioxidants. 

Sounds like you are probably pretty aware of "Life Extension" magazine?  They have some interesting info and great supplements--just not very affordable for people like me. 

The best greens, bar none, are sea weeds (if grown in less polluted areas), algae's (same relativity), and then for land; kale, collard greens, swiss chard, watercress, and then also the juices of young cereal grasses like barley, oat, wheat, etc.  Young spinach and broccoli are pretty good, but not quite in the above categories. 

IP Logged

Just Me

ALK Member

Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 1:45am

Hi Justin,

I am just now reading this, but wanted to commend you for sharing it. I wholeheartedly believe in the benefits of fasting. Have you ever read "Back to Eden"? It is a huge book, but has great information.

I credit fasting with saving my life. Many years ago, I was very, very ill and every time I went to my doctor I was just given a new prescription to counter some odd side-effect of the last medication. One doctor even gave me medication samples and lied to me about what they actually were. He removed all the inserts and packaging and just gave me the pill bottles. I had no reason not to trust doctors back then, so I started taking the medication.

I went to bed one night and I prayed to die in my sleep because I knew I was doing everything my doctor suggested and I was feeling worse every day...to the point I needed help just to brush my own hair. I had a very vivid dream that night and I was told it was the medication making me sick. I was told to stop taking all my medications, but to keep my inhaler and Epi-pen. I was also instructed to fast to cleanse my body as quickly as possible. Without any hesitation, the next morning I flushed everything. I know it's not good to stop meds cold-turkey, but I was convinced I was going to die if I continued on the way I was going (doing everything by the book and getting sicker and sicker every day).

That morning I drank some water as I continued to pray and meditate on how to proceed. I knew I had to take drastic steps and I was willing to do anything to stop the constant pain and exhaustion. I did not talk to my spouse about this plan because that's not a supportive route for me and I simply did not have the strength to do more than just concentrate on getting better. I love to cook and making large meals for my family helps because I don't get hungry while I'm cooking. So, I went to the store and bought a ton of food and started making freezer meals (it's called "Once A Month Cooking" for anyone interested). I cooked day and night for four days straight because the first 3-4 days are the most difficult relative to hunger and cravings.

After that, I started focusing on writing in my journal. I wanted to stay focused on the goal of cleaning all the drugs from my body while setting new goals to help me address the issues that required the medications in the first place. I set out to listen to my inner-guide for as long as necessary to achieve this goal. I'll spare you the details, but I finished my fast after 13.5 days. I lost 30lbs, my skin cleared up and I stopped vomiting all the time.

It was amazing. In fact, the next time I went to the doctor, he asked me what I was doing differently. I told him I was getting more sleep because I knew he would never accept anything as "new age" as fasting as a possible answer. He was thrilled and said "Well, whatever it is. Keep it up!" I never went back to him because there was no need.

I've since done several more fasts, but none as long as two weeks. It's become much harder to get into the right frame of mind to do them since having children. I have started with the intention of even a 2-3 fast and find myself unable to stay motivated or focused enough to do it. I realize I'm at a disadvantage with not having family support because I am (and have been) taking care of the children 24/7 every day since they were born. I'm tired and rarely have time for myself. One of my resolutions for this year is to MAKE more time for myself even if it's ten minutes a day.

So, if your wife will say "yes" now that you've celebrated her birthday, I'd be happy to try again and fast with you. I had another knee surgery right before Christmas and I need to flush out all the pain pills and detox my liver. I think I'll juice fast this time around because I need to maintain some level of energy to keep up with my energizer bunnies. I am still trying to learn about other beneficial ingredients to maximize the experience.

Kind regards,
mj

IP Logged

Justin aka Vasya
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 11:20am

Hi there MJ,

Yes, we actually have that book, "Back to Eden".  It does have a lot of good info, though i can't say that i agree with everything in same.   

Wow, that is a pretty intense account there.  I'm glad you listened to your guidance than rather to that doctor.  In my experience, some doctors tend toward the highly dismissive, arrogant, and close minded side.  We too, have our accounts and experiences along these lines of listening to our own guidance over their advice and benefiting much more that way.

Re: the fasting with you, i would be willing to do that, but i was going to wait until it started to get a bit warmer before i attempt any more serious fast again.  Reason being is that one's temperature seems to drop some during fasting, and one definitely feels colder.   

While i don't live in a particularly cold climate, it's cold enough lately to make long term fasting pretty unattractive at this point.   I was lucky during my last one, as it was unusually warm through that week period despite being in winter, but even then i found myself getting colder than i normally would.  Becky and i are pretty eco/green minded, and we keep our heat lower than most, and often heat via our super efficient woodstove (using a product like "eco bricks"), which unfortunately is not in the best place for heating our house.

If you can wait till spring and warmer weather, i would be game.  Also, if support and will is an issue, you can go within and ask for the help of Beings of Light who specialize in those areas (Healing and will power or emotional support).  They could help you much more than i could. 

But i do highly recommend you using a more juice type fast (but not anything with too much sugar)--especially like the drinks i recommend in the above.   Reason being, is that they help alkalize and flush your body faster and more efficiently than the plain water fast, and it stabilizes your blood sugar levels some so it doesn't feel as extreme.

However, you want to do a long fast, like 30 days or more, i would not recommend doing the juices the whole time.   Reason being is that those juices are so alkalizing in nature, and while most need more alkalinity in their bodies, one can over do even alkalinity and once that level is reached--it's actually much more dangerous and fatal than a tendency towards a little over acidity. 

If i were going to do a more long term fast like 30 days or more, i would do the juices for about 7 to 10 days, and then switch over to more pure water for most of the rest, and then towards the end ease back into solid foods via taking some juices again for a couple of days prior to solid foods. 

For the more solid foods, i would start off with easy to digest foods like leafy greens, goat milk products like goat cheese, goat milk kefir, yogurt, and the like, brown rice, etc.

Also, it's pretty important that after a few days into the fast, to take some kind of GENTLE herbal laxative at least once (but no more than a few times and not in a row) in order to help move stuff out.  When we stop eating solids and fiber, it tends to slow that process down a lot.

IP Logged

Just Me

ALK Member

Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 2:00pm

Hi Justin,

Thanks for the response.

I have a low body temperature (which is common in people with adrenal issues, but not yet fully recognized within the AMA criteria for "disease" so it's largely ignored) so I almost NEVER feel cold. I use a fan (appropriately called "The Wind Machine") every day of the year because (1) I'm typically hot and (2) I have allergies and it helps to be able to breathe at night. However, since nobody else in my family has this issue, I can empathize with you feeling cold on chilly days. I am totally open to waiting until you are ready.

As far as seeking inner-guidance, I got a busy signal. j/k. I think part of the issue is that I've lost connection with my inner source and am floundering day-to-day. This is the primary reason I'm hesitant to seek out an in-person group. I know that I'm lost and vulnerable right now and I think any amount of negativity (in any form) could probably do me in. This is the primary reason I'm reading and resting as much as I can. I have been on low-to-no reserves for about two years now and it's really getting to me.

As far as the length of my fast...I never pre-decide that. I tend to follow my body's signals and continue for as long as I feel is right (I guess that's listening to inner-self, isn't it? smile). I tend to avoid the fasting groups because it seems to become a competition on who can hold out the longest versus a true spiritual connection with one's own divine source in the process. In that regard, I won't know when I'm ready again, but will keep you posted.

Relative to the other stuff...I have to do that all the time anyway. My body was severely damaged by the medications and I lost the peristalsis sensation. Sorry for the detail on that one.  Shocked However, I appreciate the warning just in case I was not aware of the importance of that aspect of fasting.

Let me know when it warms up and you're ready. I'll continue trying to meditate and connecting with inner-healing so I'm prepared when you're ready!

Kind regards,
mj

IP Logged

Justin aka Vasya
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 15th, 2012 at 12:00pm

Hi there Mj,

Sorry to hear about all your bodie's health issues.  Yes, i will definitely let you know when i'm ready to begin another fast. 

And i agree, it's important to follow one's inner guidance and nudges with things like this, but having worked with children with autism---one thing that i've learned about lack of attention, lack of focus, etc. is that setting initial goals and having some kind of structure from the get go can be and is often very helpful for people to reach said goals.   What applies to a child with autism, can also apply to us adults without it.   

So i find a balance needs to be struck between structure/discipline/goals and going with the flow, listening to intuition, feelings, etc. 

It's kind of like the all important balancing of the Yang (the "male" side of consciousness) and the Yin (the "female" side).   Both are equally important, and it's through the balance and merging of these where we find the ideal. 

If we tend to be polarized too much to the Yin, then we need more Yang focus, and vice versa if we are too polarized to the Yang we need to focus more on the Yin.  This btw, is also the basis for a lot of human relationships and attractions.

IP Logged

Just Me

ALK Member

Reply #8 - Feb 23rd, 2012 at 8:08pm

Hi Jason,

Circumstances in my life are such that I think it's important for me to begin fasting. I'm on day two although Day One was not voluntary.

I found a website http://www.ccci.org/training-and-growth/devotional-life/7-steps-to-fasting/01-pe... tonight that explains things quite well although I've never heard of using any kind of canned juice for fasting (with all the sugars and additives), but the overall information is easy to understand.

I am opening my heart to receive healing and wholeness from this experience and trusting that I will learn along my journey.

Thanks for your encouragement,
mj

IP Logged

Justin aka Vasya
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 11:39am

Today when i meditate, i will pray and 'send' some healing vibrations your way.  Re: fasting, you don't want to consume too much sugar.  Candida yeast feeds off sugar and starch, and many have definite issues with these. 

This is why in the drink i advocated, slightly more than half is a mix of Water (with herbal tea in same) and Lemon juice, and slightly less than half is only Orange juice.  This is because Orange juice by itself has too much sugar for fasting purposes, and that much sugar is not helpful for same.  (nor for health in general).

IP Logged

Just Me

ALK Member

Reply #10 - Feb 29th, 2012 at 2:36pm

Hi Justin,

Thanks for the positive healing energy. I appreciate it.

I haven't been consuming sugar (or much of anything) for the past six days. I mostly drink water and eat nothing. I don't really have an appetite anyway so I don't care. The only problem is I am prone to fainting so I have to make sure I get enough to keep my electrolytes balanced.

I have done the Lemonade Diet in the past but I currently have stomach ulcers so anything with citrus is really painful. I have a juicer, though, so I'm going to go back to carrots, apples and spinach. That seems like the best combination of anything I've tried. All in all, I'm holding on okay.

Thanks again,
mj

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

This is a Peer Moderated Forum. You can report Posting Guideline violations.